Chicago Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Seattle78
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby Seattle78 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:09 pm

Anyone know if we have Student ID #'s yet? There's a box for it on the Immunization Record Form but I can't find one on anything I've been sent.

User avatar
vealoscar
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:42 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby vealoscar » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:20 pm

Yointer wrote:
keylimelove wrote:I thought about grad housing, but when I skimmed the information pretty quickly, it seemed like they put you where ever they want, and I wasn't sure how I felt about that. I might check it out again, but at this late date would they have apartments left?


I can't speak to the availability of units, but there's no harm in trying. You don't even have to submit a deposit until after they offer you a specific unit. (I think this is true for first-time renters...)

If you don't express any preferences as to which building you live in, they will essentially "put you wherever they want". Both years I've lived in their buildings, however, I've requested a specific building and the request was granted both times. If you tell them you want to live in a 1BR in building #XY, they'll accomodate you if they can. Plus, there's no harm in submitting an application. The worst case scenario is they give you a crappy assignment and you turn them down: no harm done.


You have to put down a $300 deposit, but it is fully refundable.

User avatar
vealoscar
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:42 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby vealoscar » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:23 pm

Seattle78 wrote:Anyone know if we have Student ID #'s yet? There's a box for it on the Immunization Record Form but I can't find one on anything I've been sent.


I found mine on cmore.uchicago.edu where I typed in my cnet id and everything. Then you can go to Account Access where all your bursar information is and your chicago ID # should be on that page.

Seattle78
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby Seattle78 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:34 pm

vealoscar wrote:
Seattle78 wrote:Anyone know if we have Student ID #'s yet? There's a box for it on the Immunization Record Form but I can't find one on anything I've been sent.


I found mine on cmore.uchicago.edu where I typed in my cnet id and everything. Then you can go to Account Access where all your bursar information is and your chicago ID # should be on that page.


Thanks!

User avatar
lilybbloom
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:19 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby lilybbloom » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:21 am

sealrsqr wrote:I'm starting to firm up my travel arrangements. (It's easier than packing...) Having originally planned to drive with my 3 cats from California to Chicago, I am most excited to announce that I will now be flying in instead as my kitties will be pawsengers on the new Pet Airways. I know, crazy cat lady.

Anyway, since I no longer have to drive, I've been rethinking the whole car ownership thing. Any thoughts on I-Go vs. Zipcar? And oh my lord, how I am looking forward to using Peapod. Any hidden pitfalls with their service?


I have 2 cats, good to know I'm not the only "cat lady" in our class :) are you living in regents by any chance?

User avatar
lilybbloom
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:19 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby lilybbloom » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:28 am

hmlee wrote:The Metra can be slow, but it's nice if you are heading downtown and are aware ahead of time that there is lots of traffic on Lake Shore Drive (say, for a Cubs or Bears game). Buses are like cars, and so to get downtown they take the same route cars do. The Red Line going downtown isn't so bad - I mean the stop on 55th street by the Dan Ryan isn't exactly a great place to wait, but it's not as bad as the green line. I still wouldn't walk back to the area of the campus from unless I was in a group, though.

And, yeah, if you are afraid of buses you need to conquer that stat. The buses going into and out of Hyde Park are, at least in my opinion, safer than at least the green line....

Also, Northwestern and the U of C don't have to live in conflict. I'm living proof of that. :)


NU undergrad? me too!

pehaigllleises
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:57 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby pehaigllleises » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:08 am

lilybbloom wrote:
I have 2 cats, good to know I'm not the only "cat lady" in our class :) are you living in regents by any chance?


I have one cat and I'm living in Regents. Actually, T-10 days until I'm no longer a New Yorker.

User avatar
Mr. T6
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 7:54 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby Mr. T6 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:08 pm

ATL makes it seem like OCI will be a bloodbath of epic proportions, but does anyone suspect it's yellow journalism? What are people's bidding strategies?

User avatar
hmlee
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:12 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby hmlee » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:58 pm

lilybbloom wrote:
hmlee wrote:The Metra can be slow, but it's nice if you are heading downtown and are aware ahead of time that there is lots of traffic on Lake Shore Drive (say, for a Cubs or Bears game). Buses are like cars, and so to get downtown they take the same route cars do. The Red Line going downtown isn't so bad - I mean the stop on 55th street by the Dan Ryan isn't exactly a great place to wait, but it's not as bad as the green line. I still wouldn't walk back to the area of the campus from unless I was in a group, though.

And, yeah, if you are afraid of buses you need to conquer that stat. The buses going into and out of Hyde Park are, at least in my opinion, safer than at least the green line....

Also, Northwestern and the U of C don't have to live in conflict. I'm living proof of that. :)


NU undergrad? me too!


Ah... the reverse :). U of C undergrad, new NU Law student. We're like the exchange student program!

ipaik
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby ipaik » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:38 pm

does anyone know if we need to send in a transcript with degree if we already did for admissions?

User avatar
doyleoil
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby doyleoil » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:43 pm

ipaik wrote:does anyone know if we need to send in a transcript with degree if we already did for admissions?


you mean that in your application you had an official transcript from your degree-granting institution sent (an official transcript that showed you graduated)? if so, i would think you're probably good to go, but i'd still give the dean of students' office a call and see if that's the case

cnola
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:34 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby cnola » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:19 am

this might be a stupid question but it has been on my mind along with a ton of other things lately...

I am moving from pretty far away and am wondering whether I should change my cell number to a Chicago-area number. Thoughts? Does it make a difference?

User avatar
Mr. T6
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 7:54 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby Mr. T6 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:40 am

Absolutely not. Maintain your regional identity. You'll be surprised by how potential employers back in your home state pick up on little details like that.

User avatar
sealrsqr
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:49 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby sealrsqr » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:00 am

lilybbloom wrote:I have 2 cats, good to know I'm not the only "cat lady" in our class :) are you living in regents by any chance?


I nixed Regents early on - the view sounds nice but the price scared me off. I was tempted by University Housing - even submitted a ridiculously detailed list of preferences - but they were more a back up plan as I'd have to smuggle in my 3rd cat. I ultimately found a place on Craiglist with a landlord who's fine with my extra feline.

User avatar
lilybbloom
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:19 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby lilybbloom » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:43 pm

For some reason I never received the July 24th letter, but randomly saw it online while checking the site for the address to send my transcript to. I wonder if I somehow got bumped off the listserv?

I also noticed that one of the books they recommended for summer reading (devil in the white city) is the one that I reviewed in my optional waitlist essay... if any of you are looking for a quick read, I really recommend it, especially if you're new to the Chicago area. Maybe that book is what got me off the waitlist! :)

User avatar
doyleoil
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby doyleoil » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:44 pm

lilybbloom wrote:For some reason I never received the July 24th letter


+1 (also found it the random way)

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby rayiner » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:19 pm


User avatar
keylimelove
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:14 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby keylimelove » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:35 pm

doyleoil wrote:
lilybbloom wrote:For some reason I never received the July 24th letter


+1 (also found it the random way)


I didn't get it either, but saw it last week online. I don't think they notified us that they had posted it online.

User avatar
vealoscar
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:42 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby vealoscar » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:58 pm

doyleoil wrote:
ipaik wrote:does anyone know if we need to send in a transcript with degree if we already did for admissions?


you mean that in your application you had an official transcript from your degree-granting institution sent (an official transcript that showed you graduated)? if so, i would think you're probably good to go, but i'd still give the dean of students' office a call and see if that's the case


I've seen this written in a few places:
The American Bar Association rules prohibit submission of an LSDAS transcript in lieu of an official copy.


That would suggest that you need to send another one from your undergrad institution directly.

User avatar
vealoscar
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:42 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby vealoscar » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:06 pm

Whoooaaa BOAT CRUISE. If ASW was any indication, that should be code for booze cruise.

User avatar
keylimelove
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:14 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby keylimelove » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:10 pm

vealoscar wrote:Whoooaaa BOAT CRUISE. If ASW was any indication, that should be code for booze cruise.


I'm excited :D

seeker63
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:32 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby seeker63 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:33 pm

keylimelove wrote:
vealoscar wrote:Whoooaaa BOAT CRUISE. If ASW was any indication, that should be code for booze cruise.


I'm excited :D

It is more booze than boat, for sure.

kangkangkang
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:56 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby kangkangkang » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:44 pm

Is any of you guys going to get parking space? The price for parking at Reagents is too high. That's one of my reasons to choose the NGR. But no availability in south campus? Where am I going to park my car?

User avatar
Mr. T6
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 7:54 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby Mr. T6 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:00 pm

seeker63 wrote:
keylimelove wrote:
vealoscar wrote:Whoooaaa BOAT CRUISE. If ASW was any indication, that should be code for booze cruise.


I'm excited :D

It is more booze than boat, for sure.


There was a boat? :? I just remember an open bar, too much red wine, and not enough crackers.

User avatar
keylimelove
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:14 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby keylimelove » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:01 pm

Mr. T6 wrote:
seeker63 wrote:
keylimelove wrote:
vealoscar wrote:Whoooaaa BOAT CRUISE. If ASW was any indication, that should be code for booze cruise.


I'm excited :D

It is more booze than boat, for sure.


There was a boat? :? I just remember an open bar, too much red wine, and not enough crackers.


Haha, sweet. Sounds like a lot of fun.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest