Chicago Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
Mr. T6
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 7:54 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby Mr. T6 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:27 pm

All right, whatever. Find what works for you and do that. For the first few weeks, brief everything so you learn how to read a case.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby dresden doll » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:28 pm

Mr. T6, are you available to meet up as you said you were? I'd be curious to talk about U of C more if you really have time to spare.

User avatar
Mr. T6
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 7:54 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby Mr. T6 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:46 am

Does anyone have high hopes for the Bears this year? Cutler is a beast.

(doing research assistant work at 2 AM)

User avatar
Mel Zelaya
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby Mel Zelaya » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:50 am

Mr. T6 wrote:Does anyone have high hopes for the Bears this year? Cutler is a beast.




The bears still are who we thought they were

User avatar
Mr. T6
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 7:54 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby Mr. T6 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:55 am

Mel Zelaya wrote:
Mr. T6 wrote:Does anyone have high hopes for the Bears this year? Cutler is a beast.




The bears still are who we thought they were


YOU WANT TO CROWN THEM, YOU CROWN THEIR ASS.

Ha, nice.

User avatar
southernlady
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby southernlady » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:21 pm

SR1313 wrote:Southernlady, your avatar is awesome.

just saw this. big Mean Girls fan here. thanks!

M2008
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:27 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby M2008 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:08 am

My 2 cents:

Fall quarter: Even though I stopped briefing cases completely in the second two quarters, I briefed almost every case fall quarter, and I would do things the same way if I had it to do again. A big part of law school is being able to distill a case down into a few sentences, and briefing helps you learn that skill. The exception to this is Elements of the Law, where the cases are covered in less depth and you can probably get away with not briefing after a month.

Except for one or two weekends when your writing assignment is due, you should be able to get away with slacking. (I ended up working on a bunch of weekends, but only because I would go out 3-4 nights during the week) You only have 2 exams and a lot of time during finals week, so you hardly need to put in any exam prep work before the last week (many people start their intensive study over Thanksgiving break - it's also a good idea to get your ducks in a row to send out resumes in December). However, professors stop taking questions a couple days before the exam, so you can't push all the work to the last minute or you won't be able to ask them anything.

My biggest comment about this quarter is please, take the time to get to know (1) parts of Chicago other than Hyde Park while the weather is still nice and (2) members of your class outside of your section/building before you get too busy to do so. You'll have all year to get to know the people across the hall and to go to the Pub and Jimmy's.

Winter quarter: Academically, things are probably a bit easier this quarter since you've started to get the hang of reading cases. You still only have 2 exams, but they cover double the material, so you will have to start preparing a few weeks earlier.

There's still a decent amount of time to be social, but people are less likely to want to go out, and if they are they are more likely to want to stay in Hyde Park.

Spring Quarter: Your work this quarter is worth over half your grade for the year. (You're tested on 3x the material you were tested on fall quarter) Consequently, after about two weeks into the quarter, everyone will be burrowed into their textbooks. On the bright side, the weather is getting better, so at least the walk to the library is more pleasant.

User avatar
Mr. T6
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 7:54 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby Mr. T6 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:27 pm

I agree with M2008's comments. I would add that what he meant by distilling cases is that they all contain, on appeal, a:

1. Legal issue. This is a question that must be resolved in order to decide the case. A few sample issues are:

-- Does a government taking for the purpose of economic development violate the "public use" restriction of the 5th amendment? (Kelo v. New London, a case you'll encounter in Property)

-- Can a plaintiff bring suit against a manufacturer, despite the lack of privity? Alternatively, does the manufacturer owe the car buyer a duty of care? (MacPherson v. Buick, a case you'll encounter in both Elements and Torts)

-- If a manufacturer puts products into the "stream of commerce," knowing that they could end up in the forum state, are they subject to personal jurisdiction by meeting the minimum contacts requirement? (Asahi Metal Industry v. Superior Court, an enormously complicated case you'll see in Civ Pro II)

-- If a defendant did not intend the specific harm of a contact, is he still subject to tort liability? (Vosburg v. Putney, the first case I read in Law School, and a Gersen favorite)

2. Holding. This is the court's answer to the legal issue, as constrained by the facts. Yes, no, maybe.

That's it. Exams test how well you can use these holdings, and your own incipient legal reasoning, to find claims and liabilities in a long fact pattern.

User avatar
lucydog
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:12 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby lucydog » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:53 pm

Did everyone get the email about the Summer Alumni Matching Program? Did the current students on this board find this program useful?

User avatar
Mr. T6
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 7:54 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby Mr. T6 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:57 pm

lucydog wrote:Did everyone get the email about the Summer Alumni Matching Program? Did the current students on this board find this program useful?


I didn't find it that helpful, but my alum worked in-house for a shipping and freight company. His career path didn't interest me, and still doesn't. Suppliers, wholesalers, distributors -- who cares?

Be specific. Hope to get someone who takes you out for dinner. Avoid ordering the veal.

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby 02082010 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:52 pm

I hate to pop in here but I was browsing through Chicago's website looking for the list of firms that show up for Fall OCI. It seems that they don't let prospective students access this list and lock it only for Chicago students. Am I right about this? If so, would one of you mind PMing me a copy of the list? Thanks.

User avatar
gannak
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:20 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby gannak » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:50 pm

you can also use this hopeful: --LinkRemoved--

go to advanced search and then pick your school.

User avatar
jaen78
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:43 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby jaen78 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:12 pm

Do you think many firms will drop out this year due to the economy? Hope not...

User avatar
Mr. T6
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 7:54 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby Mr. T6 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:30 pm

jaen78 wrote:Do you think many firms will drop out this year due to the economy? Hope not...


Many did. Welcome to the new economy. Only 2/3rd of last year's firms returned for this one.

I'm optimistic, but realistic. I plan to bid on many safety firms, and interview until I'm blue in the face and nearing exhaustion.

User avatar
keylimelove
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:14 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby keylimelove » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:56 pm

Mr. T6 wrote:
jaen78 wrote:Do you think many firms will drop out this year due to the economy? Hope not...


Many did. Welcome to the new economy. Only 2/3rd of last year's firms returned for this one.

I'm optimistic, but realistic. I plan to bid on many safety firms, and interview until I'm blue in the face and nearing exhaustion.


Do you know if a lot of the firms that dropped out from farther away? I'm really interested in going back south (most likely ATL) after law school, so it would crush my dreams if a lot of the ATL firms have dropped out :cry:

User avatar
Mr. T6
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 7:54 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby Mr. T6 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:28 pm

keylimelove wrote:
Mr. T6 wrote:
jaen78 wrote:Do you think many firms will drop out this year due to the economy? Hope not...


Many did. Welcome to the new economy. Only 2/3rd of last year's firms returned for this one.

I'm optimistic, but realistic. I plan to bid on many safety firms, and interview until I'm blue in the face and nearing exhaustion.


Do you know if a lot of the firms that dropped out from farther away? I'm really interested in going back south (most likely ATL) after law school, so it would crush my dreams if a lot of the ATL firms have dropped out :cry:


Atlanta is a niche market. If you're from there, you should send your resume. For most of the Atlanta firms, the $1,000 a day cost to OCI at Chicago is not worth it, because of the low probability that they'll hire a Chicago associate. In fact, they may not even fill up their interview slots. We have literally one person from Georgia in our class.

However, I think that K & S, the big player in the Atlanta market, is still at our OCI.

How do you think the Falcons will do this year? I can see them in the playoffs with a wild-card berth.

User avatar
keylimelove
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:14 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby keylimelove » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:42 pm

Mr. T6 wrote:
keylimelove wrote:
Mr. T6 wrote:
jaen78 wrote:Do you think many firms will drop out this year due to the economy? Hope not...


Many did. Welcome to the new economy. Only 2/3rd of last year's firms returned for this one.

I'm optimistic, but realistic. I plan to bid on many safety firms, and interview until I'm blue in the face and nearing exhaustion.


Do you know if a lot of the firms that dropped out from farther away? I'm really interested in going back south (most likely ATL) after law school, so it would crush my dreams if a lot of the ATL firms have dropped out :cry:


Atlanta is a niche market. If you're from there, you should send your resume. For most of the Atlanta firms, the $1,000 a day cost to OCI at Chicago is not worth it, because of the low probability that they'll hire a Chicago associate. In fact, they may not even fill up their interview slots. We have literally one person from Georgia in our class.

However, I think that K & S, the big player in the Atlanta market, is still at our OCI.

How do you think the Falcons will do this year? I can see them in the playoffs with a wild-card berth.


I guess that makes sense, but damn this economy.

I'm actually not from Atlanta (which really worried me in deciding between a southern school and Chicago), but I went to UG in the South and have family in the area. Career services did a pretty good job of convincing me that those two factors would show enough of a tie to the region, and combined with the UChicago degree it'd be appealing for Atlanta firms. I also really liked the fact that since most people from the school don't go south, there's less competition for jobs...at least that's what I was told so hopefully it'll be true :)

I know nothing about football, I went to my UG's games to people watch and gossip.

CAtoUC
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:42 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby CAtoUC » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:49 pm

hey!

i'm new to this and hope i'm posting in the right place - but i wanted to find a room mate or two to get an apartment with

anyone interested?

User avatar
Mr. T6
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 7:54 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby Mr. T6 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:49 pm

I don't know any non-Texans who are going South of the Mason-Dixon. Family is considered an adequate connection for most firms, unless it's a distant cousin or newfound boyfriend or girlfriend.

Avoid carpetbagging and you'll be fine. I've also heard that Duke and Emory are considered Yankee schools.

I'm researching firms all day; I need to figure out my bids by the 24th.

seeker63
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:32 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby seeker63 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:58 pm

Mr. T6 wrote:I don't know any non-Texans who are going South of the Mason-Dixon. Family is considered an adequate connection for most firms, unless it's a distant cousin or newfound boyfriend or girlfriend.

Avoid carpetbagging and you'll be fine. I've also heard that Duke and Emory are considered Yankee schools.

I'm researching firms all day; I need to figure out my bids by the 24th.

What's your plan T6? I'm beginning to feel overwhelmed by this.

User avatar
Mr. T6
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 7:54 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby Mr. T6 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:28 pm

This is how I'm doing it.

First, I used ATL to get a good sense of the Vault 100 and read firm scuttlebutt:

--LinkRemoved--

Then I went through all 405 firms and isolated the DC, Chicago, and New York ones. I eliminated a few because they are in poor financial shape (e.g., DLA Piper, Latham NYC) or somewhat out of my league (Wachtell, W&C, Susman, and a few of the DC Appellate shops).

Now I'm looking at their individual websites, and Vault, to determine which ones are good for commercial litigation and/or white collar, the two practices that I'm most interested in. I'm also determining their "strength" areas, so I don't look like a fool. I wouldn't blab about Antitrust in a SRZ interview, or corporate work in a Boies Schiller one.

Finally, I downloaded stock OCI questions and plan to mold them to any given interview. Garnish with OCI mock interviews, a new resume, and a journal (we'll find out soon enough . . . here's hoping for LR), and viola!

User avatar
Kiana
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:11 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby Kiana » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:31 pm

Mr. T6 wrote:This is how I'm doing it.

First, I used ATL to get a good sense of the Vault 100 and read firm scuttlebutt:

--LinkRemoved--

Then I went through all 405 firms and isolated the DC, Chicago, and New York ones. I eliminated a few because they are in poor financial shape (e.g., DLA Piper, Latham NYC) or somewhat out of my league (Wachtell, W&C, Susman, and a few of the DC Appellate shops).

Now I'm looking at their individual websites, and Vault, to determine which ones are good for commercial litigation and/or white collar, the two practices that I'm most interested in. I'm also determining their "strength" areas, so I don't look like a fool. I wouldn't blab about Antitrust in a SRZ interview, or corporate work in a Boies Schiller one.

Finally, I downloaded stock OCI questions and plan to mold them to any given interview. Garnish with OCI mock interviews, a new resume, and a journal (we'll find out soon enough . . . here's hoping for LR), and viola!


I'm only a 0L but I'm saving this for later. This sounds smart.

seeker63
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:32 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby seeker63 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:59 pm

Mr. T6 wrote:This is how I'm doing it.

First, I used ATL to get a good sense of the Vault 100 and read firm scuttlebutt:

--LinkRemoved--

Then I went through all 405 firms and isolated the DC, Chicago, and New York ones. I eliminated a few because they are in poor financial shape (e.g., DLA Piper, Latham NYC) or somewhat out of my league (Wachtell, W&C, Susman, and a few of the DC Appellate shops).

Now I'm looking at their individual websites, and Vault, to determine which ones are good for commercial litigation and/or white collar, the two practices that I'm most interested in. I'm also determining their "strength" areas, so I don't look like a fool. I wouldn't blab about Antitrust in a SRZ interview, or corporate work in a Boies Schiller one.

Finally, I downloaded stock OCI questions and plan to mold them to any given interview. Garnish with OCI mock interviews, a new resume, and a journal (we'll find out soon enough . . . here's hoping for LR), and viola!


Sounds like a good approach, except for the reference to a stringed instrument at the end.

User avatar
Mr. T6
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 7:54 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby Mr. T6 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:05 pm

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/voila.html

You win this round.

A classmate left a 56 oz. bag of M&Ms at my desk earlier today. Now it's almost half gone. I'm never eating chocolate again.

M2008
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:27 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby M2008 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:28 pm

When you say out of your league, do you mean because the firm put "Top X% preferred" on their listing? And how did you estimate your rank? I mean, it's easy to tell if you're above median, but I'm not sure other than that. I've heard people say that top 10% is usually between 179.5-180.0, but I've never heard a source for this piece of semi-conventional wisdom (other than "some 2L").

Do you have a preference between the three markets? Or are you more interested in the best firms in your area rather than location?




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest