Chicago Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
pehaigllleises

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby pehaigllleises » Wed May 06, 2009 11:36 pm

Anyone else already register for their uchicago.edu email addresses and have the pleasure of reading the security alert about someone getting shot in the leg by a drive by a few blocks from the law school? It left out a key detail... was he a student? Was he a local gang member [who deserved it]?

Just when I was looking forward to moving OUT of the ghetto...

RussianGirl

Postby RussianGirl » Thu May 07, 2009 3:12 am

pehaigllleises wrote:Anyone else already register for their uchicago.edu email addresses and have the pleasure of reading the security alert about someone getting shot in the leg by a drive by a few blocks from the law school? It left out a key detail... was he a student? Was he a local gang member [who deserved it]?

How do you register for the email address? Exciting!

sealrsqr

Postby sealrsqr » Thu May 07, 2009 11:30 am

Russian Girl: You set up your CNet ID / CMail here:

http://nsit.uchicago.edu/services/cnetid/

And, yes, Pehaigllleises, I found the news of the shooting a bit disconcerting, especially since I was previously really liking the university housing on Drexel / Ingleside and 61st (more square footage for the air hockey table and porches or sunrooms for the cats...). Guess this is why the current students have been telling me to stay north of campus and east of Ellis...

As for the Patino Fellowship email, I also got it, but I do have some public service in my background. The big question will be whether I can throw together 3 fresh letters of recommendation in the next month.

RussianGirl

Postby RussianGirl » Thu May 07, 2009 2:43 pm

sealrsqr wrote:Russian Girl: You set up your CNet ID / CMail here:

Thanks, I just did it. Looks sooooooooooooooo sweet!

southernlady

Postby southernlady » Thu May 07, 2009 3:17 pm

RussianGirl wrote:
sealrsqr wrote:Russian Girl: You set up your CNet ID / CMail here:

Thanks, I just did it. Looks sooooooooooooooo sweet!

Me too! Thanks sealrsqr. I was hoping to get just my first name as my ID, lol, but it was taken. Woulda been cool.

pehaigllleises

Postby pehaigllleises » Thu May 07, 2009 4:04 pm

I used my firstname middleinitial lastname as my email address. My first name was taken too, which was disappointing because it's not terribly common and I'm the owner of [myfirstname]@nyu.edu. We can't change it at all, ever, so it looks like this is the final nail in the keeping-my-maiden-name coffin.

sealrsqr

Postby sealrsqr » Fri May 08, 2009 4:52 pm

That's funny you both wanted to use your first names only. I tried the same thing only mine worked. (My name is incredibly common, but my spelling isn't.) Immediately after I wondered if this was unprofessional in any way but, of course, it was too late to change it.

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Fri May 08, 2009 5:03 pm

pehaigllleises wrote:Anyone else already register for their uchicago.edu email addresses and have the pleasure of reading the security alert about someone getting shot in the leg by a drive by a few blocks from the law school? It left out a key detail... was he a student? Was he a local gang member [who deserved it]?

haha i got that e-mail - not exactly encouraging - i guess stay north?

pehaigllleises

Postby pehaigllleises » Fri May 08, 2009 5:18 pm

sealrsqr wrote:That's funny you both wanted to use your first names only. I tried the same thing only mine worked. (My name is incredibly common, but my spelling isn't.) Immediately after I wondered if this was unprofessional in any way but, of course, it was too late to change it.

Nah, I've seen a few law firms that use first name @ law firm for their email addresses.

sealrsqr

Postby sealrsqr » Mon May 11, 2009 5:13 am

doyleoil wrote:

haha i got that e-mail - not exactly encouraging - i guess stay north?

I, for one, have been inspired to stay north. In fact, in my quest to revise my housing aspirations, I may have just lucked into the perfect place. It's a wee bit west of where some have advised I stay (east of Ellis), but others have said just keep east of Cottage Grove. I'm flying in to check it out next week...

I see from this handy/creepy crime map (--LinkRemoved--) why my apartment comes with its own alarm system. Seems like I am likely to experience a burglary and have my car stolen, but perhaps I will spare being assaulted. Good thing my car is well insured...

pehaigllleises

Postby pehaigllleises » Mon May 11, 2009 11:12 am

This is why I carry around a "toss" wallet and cell phone. Toss the wallet and cell past the crook, run in the other direction, and laugh when you reach safety because he's incredibly pissed that all he has is an old wallet full of monopoly money and a very nice looking internally broken PDA.

Bluescholar

Postby Bluescholar » Mon May 11, 2009 11:43 am

Hey guys is 7737029484 the right number for the admissions office, I can't seem to get through. Thanks for the help.

southernlady

Postby southernlady » Mon May 11, 2009 2:31 pm

I am just curious where everyone else stands as far as getting the loans process started. I currently have done nothing. I am thinking that I should get a credit check today, since I remember hearing that over and over at the admitted student days. Then we have to fill out that application by Friday, correct? Can anyone who has already completed tell me about how long that took? Here is the link to the website: --LinkRemoved--

usaojeff

Postby usaojeff » Mon May 11, 2009 2:37 pm

Yeah, they want you to fill out the SLA form by this friday (in addition to completing your FAFSA). But all other steps outlined can be completed later. I talked to Sarah Arimoto-Mercer and she said to worry about things like Perkins, Stafford, and other Loans after having received a need-based (scholarship??? loan???) from UofC itself. That way you might end up borrowing less fro outside lenders than if you applied for them earlier.

Hope this helps!

reminiscent

Postby reminiscent » Tue May 12, 2009 6:25 pm

does anyone know the projected tuition and room/board costs for 2009-10? i figure it must be on the financial aid package you receive, but i havent yet received mine.

pehaigllleises

Postby pehaigllleises » Tue May 12, 2009 7:02 pm

As far as I can tell they haven't been released yet. We were just told to expect a ~5% increase over last year. It's still going to be a big bargain compared to the other private top schools.

Dead Ringer

Postby Dead Ringer » Wed May 13, 2009 9:53 am

Anyone feel the strange urge to make another trip out to Chicago? I was going to look in to the housing situation further and sit down with the financial aid people. I also want to see the city again when it isn't freezing cold.

pehaigllleises

Postby pehaigllleises » Wed May 13, 2009 10:21 am

I'm flying out there Memorial Day weekend. Last time I was there it was somewhere between -10 and 20, this time we're going to wine and dine, wander around and relax. Our main purpose is to book a reception venue, although I haven't heard back from Regents yet about whether we've been approved for an apartment, so I'm praying I don't have to apartment hunt.

pehaigllleises

Postby pehaigllleises » Wed May 13, 2009 2:31 pm

$43,998. That's a 6.9% increase, not a 5% increase. UGH. I realize that it's cheaper than other schools, but I don't know how anyone can justify how much faster than inflation tuition increases each year.

gobigred

Postby gobigred » Wed May 13, 2009 3:44 pm

has anyone received their reimbursement check from the ASW yet?

Seattle78

Postby Seattle78 » Wed May 13, 2009 5:08 pm

gobigred wrote:has anyone received their reimbursement check from the ASW yet?

I went to the featured friday back in january and just got my reimbursement last week.

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Wed May 13, 2009 5:13 pm

pehaigllleises wrote:$43,998. That's a 6.9% increase, not a 5% increase. UGH. I realize that it's cheaper than other schools, but I don't know how anyone can justify how much faster than inflation tuition increases each year.

agreed - it blows - that said, i had already done the sla application and was almost right on with my coa estimate 8) (not that that should make me feel better)

pehaigllleises

Postby pehaigllleises » Wed May 13, 2009 5:35 pm

Seattle78 wrote:
gobigred wrote:has anyone received their reimbursement check from the ASW yet?

I went to the featured friday back in january and just got my reimbursement last week.

I too went to the Featured Friday in January (what's up person I don't know but have met) but I got my check like two months ago. But I sent my request form right away, and there were only 10-15 of us then, so I guess it still took two months to get my money.

gannak

Postby gannak » Wed May 13, 2009 5:57 pm

wow i forgot all about the reimbursement. i submitted mine on site at asw. have not received anything.

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Wed May 13, 2009 5:58 pm

gannak wrote:wow i forgot all about the reimbursement. i submitted mine on site at asw. have not received anything.

yeah i haven't gotten mine from asw either

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”