Chicago Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
doyleoil
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby doyleoil » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:13 pm

gannak wrote:chicago still hasn't cashed my deposit check yet. did they cash anyone's?


nope - haven't cashed mine either

pehaigllleises
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:57 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby pehaigllleises » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:46 pm

They cashed mine.

User avatar
doyleoil
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby doyleoil » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:00 pm

pehaigllleises wrote:They cashed mine.


did they send you confirmation that they received it?

pehaigllleises
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:57 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby pehaigllleises » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:20 pm

I got a "Welcome to the Chicago Law Community" email, confirming that I had reserved a seat, on 4/17 a few days after I mailed the deposit. I filled out the form long before I sent my deposit (I wanted to keep my $500 as long as possible...), so I assume the two are related.

User avatar
RussianGirl
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:06 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby RussianGirl » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:03 pm

pehaigllleises wrote:I got a "Welcome to the Chicago Law Community" email, confirming that I had reserved a seat, on 4/17 a few days after I mailed the deposit. I filled out the form long before I sent my deposit (I wanted to keep my $500 as long as possible...), so I assume the two are related.


Don't think so... I received the same e-mail, and they haven't even gotten my check yet(!!!) :twisted: USPS!!!

pehaigllleises
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:57 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby pehaigllleises » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:30 pm

I don't know. Be happy for now that that $500 is still in your savings account... earning .001% interest.

User avatar
RussianGirl
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:06 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby RussianGirl » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:40 pm

pehaigllleises wrote:I don't know. Be happy for now that that $500 is still in your savings account... earning .001% interest.

Haha, silver lining!

User avatar
jayhawkai
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:36 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby jayhawkai » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:17 pm

I finally withdrew from U of C. Anyone else notice how you could potentially withdraw someone else's name if you had their contact info?

User avatar
RussianGirl
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:06 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby RussianGirl » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:54 pm

jayhawkai wrote:I finally withdrew from U of C. Anyone else notice how you could potentially withdraw someone else's name if you had their contact info?

I would hope the withdrawal would have to come from their official e-mail... but if someone leaves their e-mail open...

Merriweather
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby Merriweather » Fri May 01, 2009 4:01 am

chicago UG checking in and regents alum....

don't fucking live in regents. it's a goddamn shithole.

see, e.g.: --LinkRemoved-- http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/IL ... -Park.html

User avatar
gannak
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:20 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby gannak » Fri May 01, 2009 10:05 am

where in hyde park would you recommend living?

User avatar
sealrsqr
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:49 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby sealrsqr » Fri May 01, 2009 12:07 pm

Hi fellow future ILs. Just checking in as I went from an "option 2" to an "option 1" yesterday.

I'm your classic non-trad, out of school almost 16 years now. I lived the beachy California lifestyle for as long as I could stand it. Then I realized this nagging sense of ambition just wouldn't go away. Anyway, I'm lucky enough to sponge off my husband financially so I will spend this summer as I have spent the last seven summers, as a volunteer rescuing seals and sea lions. I still can't believe I am leaving my pinnipeds for the windy city, but it seemed like U of C was the best fit for me.

Don't think I'll end up at Regents. I'm looking at University housing. If I get a big enough place I plan to bring my air hockey table along. If I can't kick your butts in the classroom, I will wipe the floor with you in my living room.

and to jaen78: I haven't finished applying for my loans, but the SLA office confirmed that it is okay to use the general UofC code (00177400) since Discover doesn't like the law school one (00177463).

and to gannak: They cashed my deposit check a while back.

Merriweather
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby Merriweather » Fri May 01, 2009 8:44 pm

gannak wrote:where in hyde park would you recommend living?


not in hyde park if you can avoid it

User avatar
jayhawkai
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:36 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby jayhawkai » Fri May 01, 2009 9:16 pm

RussianGirl wrote:
jayhawkai wrote:I finally withdrew from U of C. Anyone else notice how you could potentially withdraw someone else's name if you had their contact info?

I would hope the withdrawal would have to come from their official e-mail... but if someone leaves their e-mail open...


I was referring to the online system instead. You log in using the generic credentials, then state your intention to enroll or not, then provide name, address, phone and email.

User avatar
TheNerdProject
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:43 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby TheNerdProject » Mon May 04, 2009 10:12 am

For those who haven't read Saturday's NYT article on Obama as a law professor: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/03/us/po ... ml?_r=1&em .

The article is about Obama's views on SCOTUS justices but also talks briefly about UChicago's continued and possibly increased involvement in the Obama administration.

Quite honestly, it made me have doubts about my decision to go elsewhere for money and lifestyle (Boalt). :?

Enjoy!

chimeray
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:30 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby chimeray » Tue May 05, 2009 5:54 pm

jayhawkai wrote:
RussianGirl wrote:
jayhawkai wrote:I finally withdrew from U of C. Anyone else notice how you could potentially withdraw someone else's name if you had their contact info?

I would hope the withdrawal would have to come from their official e-mail... but if someone leaves their e-mail open...


I was referring to the online system instead. You log in using the generic credentials, then state your intention to enroll or not, then provide name, address, phone and email.


Ha, don't give anyone any ideas...

chimeray
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:30 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby chimeray » Tue May 05, 2009 5:55 pm

Merriweather wrote:
gannak wrote:where in hyde park would you recommend living?


not in hyde park if you can avoid it


Elaborate? Is it really that bad?

Suggestions on where to live then?

User avatar
southernlady
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby southernlady » Tue May 05, 2009 8:14 pm

chimeray wrote:
Merriweather wrote:
gannak wrote:where in hyde park would you recommend living?


not in hyde park if you can avoid it


Elaborate? Is it really that bad?

Suggestions on where to live then?

Especially for those of us who will not be bringing cars...

User avatar
etwake
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:23 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby etwake » Tue May 05, 2009 8:47 pm

I'm moving to South Loop; 14th and prairie. I'll have a car, but have to stay down there for all 3 years, because I'm buying. It looks like if you don't have a car, south loop/printer's row are pretty good areas.

There's a good amount of younger people on the North Side (Lincoln Park/Lakeview), but I chose to stay away becuase:
1. The commute is about 20-40 minutes longer to UofC.
2. Real Estate prices are still sky-high
3. South Loop has a good amount of nightlife, but still quiet enough for me not to be distracted.

Just look at GoogleMap's bus and metra system before you figure it out. PM me if you're not familiar with the area, and I might be able to help you out.

chimeray
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:30 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby chimeray » Wed May 06, 2009 7:18 am

etwake wrote:I'm moving to South Loop; 14th and prairie. I'll have a car, but have to stay down there for all 3 years, because I'm buying. It looks like if you don't have a car, south loop/printer's row are pretty good areas.

There's a good amount of younger people on the North Side (Lincoln Park/Lakeview), but I chose to stay away becuase:
1. The commute is about 20-40 minutes longer to UofC.
2. Real Estate prices are still sky-high
3. South Loop has a good amount of nightlife, but still quiet enough for me not to be distracted.

Just look at GoogleMap's bus and metra system before you figure it out. PM me if you're not familiar with the area, and I might be able to help you out.


This is really helpful. Like Southernlady I also won't have a car. I'll check out those areas. Thanks etwake!

caoyun
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:03 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby caoyun » Wed May 06, 2009 9:33 pm

Did anyone else get an invitation to apply for the Patino fellowship today?

User avatar
southernlady
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby southernlady » Wed May 06, 2009 9:43 pm

caoyun wrote:Did anyone else get an invitation to apply for the Patino fellowship today?

Yeah. I am wondering if they sent this to everyone, because if I remember the scholarship correctly I have no chance haha...

eruffin
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby eruffin » Wed May 06, 2009 9:43 pm

caoyun wrote:Did anyone else get an invitation to apply for the Patino fellowship today?


I did. Judging by the wording, though, I got the impression that everyone (or at least a lot of people) did? No?

I mean, my resume is relatively skimpy on "public service experience."

Unless the application is onerous, I'll probably apply anyway though...

pehaigllleises
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:57 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby pehaigllleises » Wed May 06, 2009 10:09 pm

I got excited for about 60 seconds but then I reread the email and realized that it was probably sent to and open to everyone.

caoyun
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:03 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Postby caoyun » Wed May 06, 2009 10:38 pm

pehaigllleises wrote:I got excited for about 60 seconds but then I reread the email and realized that it was probably sent to and open to everyone.


I figured the same. It's very, very general. I imagine they sent it to most applicants, if not all.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest