Chicago Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
deadbeat

New

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by deadbeat » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:42 pm

There is an ESPN Zone downtown. I'm sure there will be plenty of other bars showing games, but that's the main one that's caught my attention. I don't get the feeling that the Hyde Park bars will offer too much.

I'm also moving in to Regents this weekend. If anybody wants to toss the ol' pigskin around, let me know.

vealoscar

New

Post by vealoscar » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:00 pm

Speaking of football, I currently have 8 and am looking for up to 12 people for a fantasy football league drafting tomorrow night. Send me your e-mail if interested and I'll send you an invite right away.

hmlee

Bronze

Post by hmlee » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:08 pm

The Pub has 1 large tv as well as several smaller tvs scattered around the bar. The TVs run on two separate feeds, so half will be turned to one game and the other half to another. Usually it's Chicago based sports, but they also show whatever game is on for Monday Night Football, and the Thursday Night Game too, I believe. Beyond that, you're going to have to go downtown or to the north side. Beyond the ESPN zone, there are tons of sports bar places on the north side. There are also quite a few that are dedicated to specific NFL or college teams (if you have one in particular in mind) and show all of that team's games. Try a search on metromix or yelp.com to find them... Or check out the RedEye.

Edit: Also, if you swing by the pub and see Victor (the manager), tell him that Hilary says hi. :)

Triager

New

Post by Triager » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:27 pm

Any ideas on good sports bars to watch the MLB playoffs?

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:30 pm

Okay, I'll definitely be in the area tomorrow around/after 12 o'clock so if anyone's available and interested in hanging out, feel free to pm me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RussianGirl

New

Post by RussianGirl » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:59 pm

inquirewithin wrote:Apparently they've already chosen the new Dean. Interesting selection. What are everyone's thoughts?

http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leit ... chool.html
Amazing background, and he seems like an incredible person who's done a myriad of cool things. Plus I <3 UCLA for life, although the LS admissions office is wack.

deadbeat

New

Post by deadbeat » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:39 am

Leiter listed a trackback link on his blog to this website:
http://www.professorbainbridge.com/prof ... icago.html

"...Chicago is most fortunate. Mike Schill has been an amazing dean. Far better than Chicago deserves."

WTH Prof. Bainbridge? Really?

Everything Bainbridge wrote about Dean Schill makes him sound pretty stellar. If he's as good as he appears to be, it seems like we scored a pretty killer addition to our administration. Anybody heard anything different?

lucydog

New

Post by lucydog » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:55 am

Seems like UCLA will miss him.

Ken

Bronze

Post by Ken » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:12 am

Dean Schill was going to give TLS an interview in his role as Dean of UCLA Law School. Sounds like that interview may have to wait for him to go to Chicago. Definitely a big coup for Chicago and a loss for UCLA, which I also love.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:37 am

Unless he lowers tuition, I don't think this'll affect us too much.

*debbie downers*

I hear second year of law school is a bit like senior year of high school, so I'm hoping to explore this city more this year: checking out random poetry slams at the Green Mill, seeing concerts at Millennium Park, and doing all of the other weird and awesome things that happen here in Chicago.

vealoscar

New

Post by vealoscar » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:04 pm

vealoscar wrote:Speaking of football, I currently have 8 and am looking for up to 12 people for a fantasy football league drafting tomorrow night. Send me your e-mail if interested and I'll send you an invite right away.
Last call: I have two spots left to be filled in the next 2 hours. If not, we'll be going with a 10-team league.

RussianGirl

New

Post by RussianGirl » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:50 pm

Does anyone in the Regents (or not in the Regents) care to let me borrow their copy of Devil in the White City? Will trade for lunch/coffee :wink:

seeker63

New

Post by seeker63 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:30 am

Advertisement:

If incoming 1L's want to pick my brain about professors, law school, or anything else, I will be available the weekend and Monday before classes start. Just buy me a sammich and I'll dole out the info.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

usaojeff

New

Post by usaojeff » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:23 pm

Anyone have suggestions on quality iPhone apps for tracking the El/Metra/etc???

Also, any hints on the fastest way to get to and from O'Hare from the HP area?

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Post by pehaigllleises » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:56 pm

I am really concerned about the fact that the entering students dinner is the same night as the Grey's season premiere.

keylimelove

New

Post by keylimelove » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:57 pm

pehaigllleises wrote:I am really concerned about the fact that the entering students dinner is the same night as the Grey's season premiere.
:shock:

I did not know this, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. :?

Dead Ringer

Bronze

Post by Dead Ringer » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:40 pm

keylimelove wrote:
pehaigllleises wrote:I am really concerned about the fact that the entering students dinner is the same night as the Grey's season premiere.
:shock:

I did not know this, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. :?
Oh no not again. In UG you wouldn't see a single girl out until that show was finished on Thursday night.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

marburger06

New

Post by marburger06 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:58 pm

usaojeff wrote: Also, any hints on the fastest way to get to and from O'Hare from the HP area?
Sadly, unless you want to shell out major $ for one of those van services, the fastest/only sensible way is to take the 6 to Michigan and Jackson, walk to the Jackson blue line stop, and enjoy your 1 hr El ride up to O'Hare.

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:59 pm

Last year's dinner wasn't that great. To be honest, I don't think you would miss anything.

scat_cat

New

Post by scat_cat » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:14 am

RussianGirl wrote:Does anyone in the Regents (or not in the Regents) care to let me borrow their copy of Devil in the White City? Will trade for lunch/coffee :wink:
http://lens.lib.uchicago.edu/?itemid=|l ... uc|4807061

Doesn't seem like the copy in the law school library is ever checked out. Now if I could get my hands on _Family Properties_. Actually, just checked the catalog--it's a fact, law students do not read. You can get anything at D'Angelo.

My suggestion for baseball bars is the Cove. People have passion for games at the Cove.

Don't skip the dinner for Gray's Anatomy, people. Make friends with a professor. They'll be sitting at your table and won't be able to escape.

treschic

New

Post by treschic » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:45 am

I have DVR. We can all watch it afterwards :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:13 am

I saw Steelers-Titans at the Cove last night with a 2L friend. I have to admit; it's gotten a lot better since they installed those giant TVs in the other half.

You're correct: nobody ever reads any of the books in the LS library -- not even professors. They're just for show. People westlaw/nexis everything.

Making friends with a professor, lol. I love 1L optimism. :)

I'm also gonna throw out a sandwich offer, but I'll be interviewing (wish me luck!) in NYC/NJ/one DC for the next two weeks, so it'll have to be on the 27th or later. I live in New Grad, so if anyone lives there and wants old exams, my room is 349.

scat_cat

New

Post by scat_cat » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:42 pm

Mr. T6 wrote:Making friends with a professor, lol. I love 1L optimism. :)
I'm a 2L, silly. And I know people who got their recommendations from people they were seated with at the 1L orientation dinner. I don't mean you're going to be fast friends with Martha Nussbaum, but face time with professors can be helpful when you're applying for jobs.

I kind of hate the Cove remodel. Whence the nautical theme? But yeah, there are TVs.

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:24 pm

scat_cat wrote:
Mr. T6 wrote:Making friends with a professor, lol. I love 1L optimism. :)
I'm a 2L, silly. And I know people who got their recommendations from people they were seated with at the 1L orientation dinner. I don't mean you're going to be fast friends with Martha Nussbaum, but face time with professors can be helpful when you're applying for jobs.

I kind of hate the Cove remodel. Whence the nautical theme? But yeah, there are TVs.
I guess. I sat next to a visiting prof, who left the school shortly after first quarter, so I may be downplaying the dinner's importance. Also, FYI, Nussbaum sat with a gaggle of LLM students last year.

I just wish the benches were more comfortable.

usaojeff

New

Post by usaojeff » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:32 pm

Anyone going out tonight? It's Friday!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”