Chicago Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
seeker63

New

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by seeker63 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:40 pm

lilybbloom wrote:
seeker63 wrote:When you get alerts like this, they're almost always south of the law school. This is why it it not good to live south of the law school.

There was a period of 2 weeks or so during early third quarter when four or five shootings took place about 4-5 blocks away from the law school. But usually the alerts are infrequent. I suspect it's rare that a person unknown to the shooter gets shot.
Normally that would be my guess, too, but from the email it seems like this was a mugging, which could happen to anyone. I am not a sheltered person by any means, but this does worry me. We get security alerts at Northwestern, too, mainly muggings (I'd say 2-3 a year), the only major alert during my time there was a rape a couple years back, about 5 blocks off campus.
One of my classmates got mugged this year. Luckily, not much harm was done. But it probably is a bit more frequent on the south side than around Northwestern.

edit to add: the school is aware of the problem and does its best to keep students safe. SafeRide can be called at all hours of the night for free transport within the area, buses run frequently until 8 PM, and university police are all over the place. Especially as a woman, you have to be aware of your surroundings. But the law school experience isn't stifled by the crime in the area, so don't worry too much about it. You'll figure out what you have to do to stay safe.

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Post by pehaigllleises » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:07 pm

Walk softly and carry a big stun gun.

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:02 pm

pehaigllleises wrote:Walk softly and carry a big stun gun.
Yes.
Last edited by Mr. T6 on Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

seeker63

New

Post by seeker63 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:13 pm

No comment on the initials, and I must dispute "biggest".
Last edited by seeker63 on Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:55 am

NO comment? you and I both know him. but I guess it's best to keep anonymity, so I'll d-dub the previous comment.

he's pretty big. I'm 6'1'' and he towers over me. i'm also the reason everyone's fired up this season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at4OQvNlxSw

(i'm pretty drunk, so don't take this shit personally)
Last edited by Mr. T6 on Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:11 am

Yes.
Last edited by Mr. T6 on Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Whatisthis

Bronze

Post by Whatisthis » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:47 am

I’m not sure if you meant to come off this way, but you seem like a real asshole when you talk about taking pleasure in other people’s failures. Now, there's a little bit of self deprecation in the rest of your post, so I gather it's all in good fun, but the situation you describe above seems much more depressing than hilarious.

Edit: I guess you were quoting someone else.
Last edited by Whatisthis on Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:50 am

Whatisthis wrote:
Mr. T6 wrote:'It helps sometimes to sit back and watch the hilarity of law school from afar. Just wait, some of your classmates will get discouraged and stop working, some will all but quit halfway through the year, and others will turn to booze and other drugs in an effort to escape their failures. It happens every year at every law school.
I’m not sure if you meant to come off this way, but you seem like you a real asshole when you talk about taking pleasure in other people’s failures. Now, there's a little bit of self deprecation in the rest of your post, so I gather it's all in good fun, but the situation you describe above seems much more depressing than hilarious.
That was a quote from one of seeker's old posts, not MY post; I was responding to it. Please read more carefully next time.

vealoscar

New

Post by vealoscar » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:14 pm

Mr. T6 wrote:
Whatisthis wrote:
Mr. T6 wrote:'It helps sometimes to sit back and watch the hilarity of law school from afar. Just wait, some of your classmates will get discouraged and stop working, some will all but quit halfway through the year, and others will turn to booze and other drugs in an effort to escape their failures. It happens every year at every law school.
I’m not sure if you meant to come off this way, but you seem like you a real asshole when you talk about taking pleasure in other people’s failures. Now, there's a little bit of self deprecation in the rest of your post, so I gather it's all in good fun, but the situation you describe above seems much more depressing than hilarious.
That was a quote from one of seeker's old posts, not MY post; I was responding to it. Please read more carefully next time.
But your message--which you wisely deleted--was hardly clear on that fact.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:07 pm

Eh, I was drunk.

reminiscent

New

Post by reminiscent » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:18 pm

asdf
Last edited by reminiscent on Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hmlee

Bronze

Post by hmlee » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:25 pm

Don't be scared by those e-mails. I got them all four years when I was an undergrad - it's good stuff to know but the alerts rarely happen in areas around the campus or to university students. The UCPD patrol zone covers something like 43rd or 47th street in the north all the way down to past 63rd street to the south, so you'll see alerts about crimes that are not anywhere near the campus. You shouldn't be spending a lot of time around 63rd and Drexel anyway.

seeker63

New

Post by seeker63 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:44 pm

reminiscent wrote:thanks t6 for responding to the question regarding new graduate. do you know if the rooms come furnished or not?

does anyone know what exam software uchi uses? is it not recommended to use a netbook to take exams? should i get a more substantial laptop?

the stupid e-mails regarding school safety are kinda scaring me. i hate being a girl..
Rooms are somewhat furnished. Bed, desk, chair.

No exam software. Just type using word and upload the file onto their server at the end.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:39 pm

seeker63 wrote:
reminiscent wrote:thanks t6 for responding to the question regarding new graduate. do you know if the rooms come furnished or not?

does anyone know what exam software uchi uses? is it not recommended to use a netbook to take exams? should i get a more substantial laptop?

the stupid e-mails regarding school safety are kinda scaring me. i hate being a girl..
Rooms are somewhat furnished. Bed, desk, chair.

No exam software. Just type using word and upload the file onto their server at the end.
Ditto. All of the furniture you need is there. I don't see what else you would want besides a nice loveseat, bed, dresser, and a larger dresser.

You lived in New Grad, seeker? I'm surprised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxLecGCq-qE

"take this pink ribbon off my eyes . . . "

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:44 pm

hmlee wrote:Don't be scared by those e-mails. I got them all four years when I was an undergrad - it's good stuff to know but the alerts rarely happen in areas around the campus or to university students. The UCPD patrol zone covers something like 43rd or 47th street in the north all the way down to past 63rd street to the south, so you'll see alerts about crimes that are not anywhere near the campus. You shouldn't be spending a lot of time around 63rd and Drexel anyway.
I constantly walked home tipsy from the Pub/Jimmy's/Regents and nothing happened to me. But, you know, anecdotal and unreliable evidence.

If you're worried, keep in mind that a) most of your trips will be with others. In New Grad, we went out to dinner together, shopped together, and even walked home from school together. Criminals are reluctant to approach groups, especially while they're discussing the difference between strict liability and negligence.

b) they're installing dozens of bright lights because of the new dorm on 61st. It's going to be a different nocturnal world.

c) you'll quickly learn which areas are "safe" and which ones are questionable. Most of the reported criminal activity occurs in the gray or red areas. Avoid it and you'll (most likely) be fine. (e.g., don't cross the creepy gravel lot between us and 61st after midnight, don't jog near the beach after the end of the season)
Last edited by Mr. T6 on Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

seeker63

New

Post by seeker63 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:26 am

Is the new dorm opening next year?

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:14 am

seeker63 wrote:Is the new dorm opening next year?
Over lunch, our dean told the RAs that they have a liquidated damages contract provision, charging them for every day that the dorm isn't finished after August. Because many undergraduates are slated to move in, it must be finished by then.

"Yes" is the short answer here.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SR1313

New

Post by SR1313 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:20 pm

Southernlady, your avatar is awesome.

jaen78

New

Post by jaen78 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:50 am

Misconception. Young adult females are at significantly less risk of being victims of crime than males of the same age (after controlling for additional risk factors.) People only think its more common because the media pays more attention to attacks on women.

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:30 am

Link?

I think that's because women tend to be more careful at night, thanks to that "misconception." But I think that, if a man and a woman took the same lackluster precautions, the woman would be at a slightly higher risk.

You can't avoid the common sense elephant in the room.

reminiscent

New

Post by reminiscent » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:33 pm

jaen78 wrote: Misconception. Young adult females are at significantly less risk of being victims of crime than males of the same age (after controlling for additional risk factors.) People only think its more common because the media pays more attention to attacks on women.
maybe. what i do know is that when i attended berkeley, there were several instances where i was followed by shady male characters while walking home late at night. i dont think my male friends had the same experiences..

i imagine hyde park to be slightly or way more ghetto and dangerous than berkeley.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MrOrange

Bronze

Post by MrOrange » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:36 pm

reminiscent wrote:
jaen78 wrote: Misconception. Young adult females are at significantly less risk of being victims of crime than males of the same age (after controlling for additional risk factors.) People only think its more common because the media pays more attention to attacks on women.
maybe. what i do know is that when i attended berkeley, there were several instances where i was followed by shady male characters while walking home late at night. i dont think my male friends had the same experiences..

i imagine hyde park to be slightly or way more ghetto and dangerous than berkeley.
F--- me for forgetting to carry a map in a strange city. The rape whistle was a bit extreme, btw.

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:36 pm

I visited a friend at Berkeley, and think that there are far more homeless people out there than Hyde Park. In this neighborhood, they would freeze to death if they tried living alongside water fountains and La Strada (our equivalent being Istria).

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:38 pm

MrOrange wrote:
reminiscent wrote:

F--- me for forgetting to carry a map in a strange city. The rape whistle was a bit extreme, btw.
I'd like to take a minute. Just sit right there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ1NA7Mgzgw

reminiscent

New

Post by reminiscent » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:42 pm

asdf
Last edited by reminiscent on Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”