Chicago Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
dresden doll

Platinum

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by dresden doll » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:38 pm

Mr. T6 wrote: Rules vs. standards is an Elements topic. If you have Strauss, he'll talk about it non-stop for two or three weeks.

0Ls are so confident for some reason. It's amazing. I guarantee you that you will not find a single rising 2L here who thinks that pre-law prep is necessary. I actually think it will hurt more than it will ever help, for a number of reasons that have nothing to do with me procrastinating for my Contracts final.
I will perhaps try to take a class with Strauss then. The topic is of much interest to me.

Yeah, I am really not in the mood, for whatever reason, to pour over 'Getting to Maybe' and similar literature. But I was never the type to pounce ahead with readings anyway. Back in high school, people would read Russian classics over the summer to avoid having to do so during school year. Not me. I'll find out what it's all about soon enough.

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:46 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Mr. T6 wrote: Rules vs. standards is an Elements topic. If you have Strauss, he'll talk about it non-stop for two or three weeks.

0Ls are so confident for some reason. It's amazing. I guarantee you that you will not find a single rising 2L here who thinks that pre-law prep is necessary. I actually think it will hurt more than it will ever help, for a number of reasons that have nothing to do with me procrastinating for my Contracts final.
I will perhaps try to take a class with Strauss then. The topic is of much interest to me.

Yeah, I am really not in the mood, for whatever reason, to pour over 'Getting to Maybe' and similar literature. But I was never the type to pounce ahead with readings anyway. Back in high school, people would read Russian classics over the summer to avoid having to do so during school year. Not me. I'll find out what it's all about soon enough.
You can't elect to take a class with Strauss. He teaches Elements every year, and you'll either be in that section or you won't. The other section works through rules vs. standards as well, although it's taught by Dixon. I had Strauss, so I can't comment on her as a teacher. If that topic is of much interest to you, that's good, because every prof in this building has at least a fleeting interest in it.

That must have been some high school. Russian Literature? Damn.

I apologize if I sound like a broken record, but law school is just not about readings. It's about analysis of legal issues. You can't plow through readings in advance, much as the SCOTUS can't issue opinions for cases that haven't yet come before it.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:58 pm

Mr. T6 wrote: You can't elect to take a class with Strauss. He teaches Elements every year, and you'll either be in that section or you won't. The other section works through rules vs. standards as well, although it's taught by Dixon. I had Strauss, so I can't comment on her as a teacher. If that topic is of much interest to you, that's good, because every prof in this building has at least a fleeting interest in it.

I apologize if I sound like a broken record, but law school is just not about readings. It's about analysis of legal issues. You can't plow through readings in advance, much as the SCOTUS can't issue opinions for cases that haven't yet come before it.
I went to a college prep high school (I am from another country - the one year I spent in an American high school felt like an extended vacation for me). :) We pretty much had to get through a book a week so getting Dostoevsky/Tolstoy out of the way during holidays made a lot of sense - I just never did it myself.

And you don't sound like a broken record. Your point is well taken and very valid.

Did you enjoy your classes this year?

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:02 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Mr. T6 wrote: You can't elect to take a class with Strauss. He teaches Elements every year, and you'll either be in that section or you won't. The other section works through rules vs. standards as well, although it's taught by Dixon. I had Strauss, so I can't comment on her as a teacher. If that topic is of much interest to you, that's good, because every prof in this building has at least a fleeting interest in it.

I went to a college prep high school (I am from another country - the one year I spent in an American high school felt like an extended vacation for me). :) We pretty much had to get through a book a week so getting Dostoevsky/Tolstoy out of the way during holidays made a lot of sense - I just never did it myself.

And you don't sound like a broken record. Your point is well taken and very valid.

Did you enjoy your classes this year?
Are you from Canada?

Law School is no different than UG in this respect. You have good and bad professors. Some classes click with you; others leave you cold. My favorite was probably Crim.

lilybbloom

Bronze

Post by lilybbloom » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:18 pm

I have an urgent question... I may have just gotten in off the waitlist. Is there still time to find roommates to live with, maybe in Regents? I'm kind of nervous about starting to search this late....

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FunSized

New

Post by FunSized » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:21 pm

You aren't starting the search late. I haven't started looking for anything or getting my loans together, nor have I ever visited Chicago in my life.

lilybbloom

Bronze

Post by lilybbloom » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:23 pm

FunSized wrote:You aren't starting the search late. I haven't started looking for anything or getting my loans together, nor have I ever visited Chicago in my life.
Oh ok, that's a relief. I live in Chicagoland so I have a head-start in that regard, and I think I may want to live in Regents... but I have no idea how to go about looking for roommates.

chimeray

New

Post by chimeray » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:47 pm

lilybbloom wrote:I have an urgent question... I may have just gotten in off the waitlist. Is there still time to find roommates to live with, maybe in Regents? I'm kind of nervous about starting to search this late....
You don't know for sure if you got in off the waitlist?

Also, yes, I am another +1 to the haven't started looking for roommates/apartment yet group. Def not too late to start your search!

NotKyleOrton

New

Post by NotKyleOrton » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:00 pm

chimeray wrote:
lilybbloom wrote:I have an urgent question... I may have just gotten in off the waitlist. Is there still time to find roommates to live with, maybe in Regents? I'm kind of nervous about starting to search this late....

Also, yes, I am another +1 to the haven't started looking for roommates/apartment yet group. Def not too late to start your search!
I too am just starting the roommate search. It's good to hear others are too. All the message boards I've seen on the topic seem to have been silent for a while. Hopefully, they'll pick up again soon. I'm actually going to check out Regents this weekend. If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to investigat - though I suppose current residents would probably be a more helpful resource.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lilybbloom

Bronze

Post by lilybbloom » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:14 pm

chimeray wrote:

I'm pretty sure, they called this morning to see if I was still interested and to say they were taking my file to committee. Apparently everyone who got this call has gotten in.

chimeray

New

Post by chimeray » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:21 pm

lilybbloom wrote:
chimeray wrote:

I'm pretty sure, they called this morning to see if I was still interested and to say they were taking my file to committee. Apparently everyone who got this call has gotten in.
Ahh, that makes more sense! I thought you were just so excited in your initial post that it was a typo. That sounds like they will be extending an offer to you very soon - congrats!!

RussianGirl

New

Post by RussianGirl » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:36 pm

lilybbloom wrote:
chimeray wrote:

Congrats!

scat_cat

New

Post by scat_cat » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:55 pm

A friendly reminder: Don't live in Regents! It's a ripoff. OK, back to civ pro.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:10 pm

scat_cat wrote:A friendly reminder: Don't live in Regents! It's a ripoff. OK, back to civ pro.
I'm surprised to hear someone who lives in Regents saying this. I thought most of the residents were more prepared to defend their $1,145 rent for a small apartment with a lakeview.

I bet you have Wood; I have Cox and can't motivate myself to study.

RussianGirl

New

Post by RussianGirl » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:12 pm

Mr. T6 wrote:
scat_cat wrote:A friendly reminder: Don't live in Regents! It's a ripoff. OK, back to civ pro.
I'm surprised to hear someone who lives in Regents saying this. I thought most of the residents were more prepared to defend their $1,145 rent for a small apartment with a lakeview.

I bet you have Wood; I have Cox and can't motivate myself to study.
I have finals right now tooooooooo... :-(

How does the quarter system transfer to LS exams? Is having 3 sets of exams per year as big of a bitch in law school as it it in undergrad? Bigger?

seeker63

New

Post by seeker63 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:14 pm

All I can say is that right now, my brain feels like diced carrots.

And however bad it is in undergrad, it's worse in law school. This is a given.

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:57 pm

You can't compare undergraduate and law school exams. Personally, I prefer the latter. I would much rather learn law and take practice exams than cram for a biology brain dump.

Some people find them stressful; others don't. It depends on your personality, and where on the curve you (hope) to be.

The good thing about Chicago is that you don't need to "know" that much law until third quarter, by which time you know how to study it. (Unless you had Strahi/Fennell for Property, in which case you'll need to know a lot of law by March.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lilybbloom

Bronze

Post by lilybbloom » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:56 am

even if you have a 3 bedroom, and get the student discount?

RussianGirl

New

Post by RussianGirl » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:09 am

So, did everyone just receive the *personal* invitation to apply to the Tony Patino fellowship?

I'm smackdab in the middle of finals week, and I don't have a chance in hell for this thing, so I wasn't gonna even bother... but... this "personal" thing kind of put me on my toes a little.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:24 am

RussianGirl wrote:So, did everyone just receive the *personal* invitation to apply to the Tony Patino fellowship?

I'm smackdab in the middle of finals week, and I don't have a chance in hell for this thing, so I wasn't gonna even bother... but... this "personal" thing kind of put me on my toes a little.
I got it too...

NotKyleOrton

New

Post by NotKyleOrton » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:31 am

dresden doll wrote:
RussianGirl wrote:So, did everyone just receive the *personal* invitation to apply to the Tony Patino fellowship?

I got it too...
Me too

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sealrsqr

New

Post by sealrsqr » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:44 am

dresden doll wrote:
RussianGirl wrote: I got it too...
Me too
+1. Not very personal, apparently.

NotKyleOrton

New

Post by NotKyleOrton » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:55 am

sealrsqr wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
Me too
Another hint it's not very personal: the email was sent by Sarah Arimoto-Mercer, but signed by Steve Van Liere. Oh well, I'll still apply anyway.

lucydog

New

Post by lucydog » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:29 pm

Y
NotKyleOrton wrote:
sealrsqr wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
Me too
Another hint it's not very personal: the email was sent by Sarah Arimoto-Mercer, but signed by Steve Van Liere. Oh well, I'll still apply anyway.
Got it as well. I knew I could count on TLS to put things in perspective.

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:38 pm

lucydog wrote:Got it as well. I knew I could count on TLS to put things in perspective.
Lol guys. It's also the second or third time they sent out the exact same "personal" invite.

Now the real question... should I go for firstname or firstinitiallastname as my cnet id?! First name is so tempting... but I feel it's unprofessional. Also am a girl and will be changing my last name first chance I get. :P

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”