Cornell Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
missv463
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:26 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby missv463 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:24 pm

TopLaw_Diva wrote:Did anyone else get the email from Patina with the Orientation details? Looks like it will definitely be interesting and I guess the pre-reading for the Supreme Court lecture will help all of us get our feet wet...fun times ahead I'm sure... :shock:


just got it! def a long list of things to do that wk...

User avatar
TopLaw_Diva
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:12 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby TopLaw_Diva » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:21 pm

missv463 wrote:
TopLaw_Diva wrote:Did anyone else get the email from Patina with the Orientation details? Looks like it will definitely be interesting and I guess the pre-reading for the Supreme Court lecture will help all of us get our feet wet...fun times ahead I'm sure... :shock:


just got it! def a long list of things to do that wk...



I'm excited about moving but not so much about this reading...talked to your roomie..I said we all need to go get drinks during AOP... :D

User avatar
thesouthside
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:57 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby thesouthside » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:51 pm

Wow, its been a while since I've been on TLS. I moved to Ithaca around a month ago and am still getting used to everything. If any of you are moving in early I highly suggest checking out Taughannock Falls, Buttermilk Falls, and Treman Falls State Park. The farmers market is very cool too. My room mate and I went last week and picked up some delicious locally grown/raised veggies, fruit and bison.

Markakis, I moved up here with my dog. So far its great. Obviously everything will change once the avalanche of LS work begins. However, there is a nearby dog park and I've seen plenty of dogs around campus. If your still looking for pet friendly accommodation check out Fairview Heights. Rent is reasonable which includes cable, internet, gas (heating**), garbage, etc - everything except electricity. I have met four other LS students that live here. It is about a 7-10 minute "level" walk to campus.

Anyway, time to hit the dog park then kayaking with the room mate.

User avatar
matt386
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby matt386 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:35 pm

Hey everyone, just wanted to throw my hat in the ring and say that it now looks like I'll be a member of the Cornell Law Class of 2012 too.

I'm planning on heading up to Ithaca this week to look at housing and work something out there. I was wondering if anyone had any specific suggestions or ideas of where to look, what generally is a fair price range, etc. I imagine heating in the winter will be much more expensive than I'm used to at this point :-(

If anyone is still looking for a roommate, I'd be interested in that too, although my preference would be something more apartment style than house. Does anyone know anything about the other school run grad housing? I'm not really into Hughes Hall (too dormy for my tastes), but some of the other ones look nice enough, assuming the price is fair.

Also, if anyone is already around in Ithaca, I'd love to meet up and hang out either Wednesday or Thursday night. Just send me a message on here and let me know. Thanks for whatever help or advice you guys can give me, and I'm looking forward to meeting all of you in the fall!

User avatar
Other25BeforeYou
Posts: 503
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:48 pm

matt386 wrote:Hey everyone, just wanted to throw my hat in the ring and say that it now looks like I'll be a member of the Cornell Law Class of 2012 too.

I'm planning on heading up to Ithaca this week to look at housing and work something out there. I was wondering if anyone had any specific suggestions or ideas of where to look, what generally is a fair price range, etc. I imagine heating in the winter will be much more expensive than I'm used to at this point :-(

If anyone is still looking for a roommate, I'd be interested in that too, although my preference would be something more apartment style than house. Does anyone know anything about the other school run grad housing? I'm not really into Hughes Hall (too dormy for my tastes), but some of the other ones look nice enough, assuming the price is fair.

Also, if anyone is already around in Ithaca, I'd love to meet up and hang out either Wednesday or Thursday night. Just send me a message on here and let me know. Thanks for whatever help or advice you guys can give me, and I'm looking forward to meeting all of you in the fall!

Hi, and welcome! I added you to the list of Cornell-bound TLSers on the first page of this thread.

There's someone on the cornell class of 2012 facebook group wall thing looking for a roommate if you're interested. I'll PM it to you.

User avatar
JazzyJazz
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:02 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby JazzyJazz » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:17 pm

Hi - perhaps the 2Ls or 3Ls on this thread could be of help. My fiance is starting her first year in aug and we're deciding on a iphone of blackberry (verrizon). We're getting a little nervous about the AT&T service there and was wondering if you guys have any input on that. Thanks so much!

markakis
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:34 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby markakis » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:30 pm

thesouthside wrote:Wow, its been a while since I've been on TLS. I moved to Ithaca around a month ago and am still getting used to everything. If any of you are moving in early I highly suggest checking out Taughannock Falls, Buttermilk Falls, and Treman Falls State Park. The farmers market is very cool too. My room mate and I went last week and picked up some delicious locally grown/raised veggies, fruit and bison.

Markakis, I moved up here with my dog. So far its great. Obviously everything will change once the avalanche of LS work begins. However, there is a nearby dog park and I've seen plenty of dogs around campus. If your still looking for pet friendly accommodation check out Fairview Heights. Rent is reasonable which includes cable, internet, gas (heating**), garbage, etc - everything except electricity. I have met four other LS students that live here. It is about a 7-10 minute "level" walk to campus.

Anyway, time to hit the dog park then kayaking with the room mate.


Thanks, I'll check it out
Last edited by markakis on Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mel Zelaya
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby Mel Zelaya » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:32 pm

thesouthside wrote:Buttermilk Falls


:shock:

User avatar
Other25BeforeYou
Posts: 503
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:34 am

JazzyJazz wrote:Hi - perhaps the 2Ls or 3Ls on this thread could be of help. My fiance is starting her first year in aug and we're deciding on a iphone of blackberry (verrizon). We're getting a little nervous about the AT&T service there and was wondering if you guys have any input on that. Thanks so much!

I'm not a 2L or a 3L, but I grew up nearish to Ithaca.

In Ithaca itself, you will be perfectly fine with either AT&T or Verizon, in my experience.

However, driving around outside of Ithaca (whether on your way to Syracuse or Binghamton or other places for whatever reason), Verizon usually has better service. They just have more coverage in Upstate New York outside of cities. If your fiancee really wants an iPhone though, the coverage isn't really better enough to warrant going with Verizon.

User avatar
panda
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby panda » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:39 am

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
JazzyJazz wrote:Hi - perhaps the 2Ls or 3Ls on this thread could be of help. My fiance is starting her first year in aug and we're deciding on a iphone of blackberry (verrizon). We're getting a little nervous about the AT&T service there and was wondering if you guys have any input on that. Thanks so much!

I'm not a 2L or a 3L, but I grew up nearish to Ithaca.

In Ithaca itself, you will be perfectly fine with either AT&T or Verizon, in my experience.

However, driving around outside of Ithaca (whether on your way to Syracuse or Binghamton or other places for whatever reason), Verizon usually has better service. They just have more coverage in Upstate New York outside of cities. If your fiancee really wants an iPhone though, the coverage isn't really better enough to warrant going with Verizon.


what about t-mobile?
:D tia

User avatar
thesouthside
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:57 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby thesouthside » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:17 am

Mel Zelaya wrote:
thesouthside wrote:Buttermilk Falls


:shock:



--ImageRemoved--

There are four trails - gorge trail, bear trail, lake treman trail, and the rim trail. The gorge trail is almost a mile and waterfall the entire way. Amazing.

User avatar
mbw
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:56 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby mbw » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:24 am

I'm already in Ithaca, and get 3G on my iphone almost everywhere within five miles of downtown.

missv463
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:26 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby missv463 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:25 am

panda wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:
JazzyJazz wrote:Hi - perhaps the 2Ls or 3Ls on this thread could be of help. My fiance is starting her first year in aug and we're deciding on a iphone of blackberry (verrizon). We're getting a little nervous about the AT&T service there and was wondering if you guys have any input on that. Thanks so much!

I'm not a 2L or a 3L, but I grew up nearish to Ithaca.

In Ithaca itself, you will be perfectly fine with either AT&T or Verizon, in my experience.

However, driving around outside of Ithaca (whether on your way to Syracuse or Binghamton or other places for whatever reason), Verizon usually has better service. They just have more coverage in Upstate New York outside of cities. If your fiancee really wants an iPhone though, the coverage isn't really better enough to warrant going with Verizon.


what about t-mobile?
:D tia


from what i heard, t-mobile is horrible upstate. my friends and i used Verizon during our UG years in ithaca, and didn't have many issues with it.

User avatar
stayingclassy
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:14 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby stayingclassy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:26 am

I used Verizon as an undergrad and had no problems. I now use AT&T and also have had no problems whenever I've visited.

User avatar
thesouthside
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:57 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby thesouthside » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:28 am

mbw wrote:I'm already in Ithaca, and get 3G on my iphone almost everywhere within five miles of downtown.


+1

User avatar
Other25BeforeYou
Posts: 503
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:53 am

missv463 wrote:
panda wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:
JazzyJazz wrote:Hi - perhaps the 2Ls or 3Ls on this thread could be of help. My fiance is starting her first year in aug and we're deciding on a iphone of blackberry (verrizon). We're getting a little nervous about the AT&T service there and was wondering if you guys have any input on that. Thanks so much!

I'm not a 2L or a 3L, but I grew up nearish to Ithaca.

In Ithaca itself, you will be perfectly fine with either AT&T or Verizon, in my experience.

However, driving around outside of Ithaca (whether on your way to Syracuse or Binghamton or other places for whatever reason), Verizon usually has better service. They just have more coverage in Upstate New York outside of cities. If your fiancee really wants an iPhone though, the coverage isn't really better enough to warrant going with Verizon.


what about t-mobile?
:D tia


from what i heard, t-mobile is horrible upstate. my friends and i used Verizon during our UG years in ithaca, and didn't have many issues with it.


I don't know a single person upstate who has T-mobile.

markakis
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:34 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby markakis » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:41 am

What about Sprint?

User avatar
panda
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby panda » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:56 am

missv463 wrote:
panda wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:
JazzyJazz wrote:Hi - perhaps the 2Ls or 3Ls on this thread could be of help. My fiance is starting her first year in aug and we're deciding on a iphone of blackberry (verrizon). We're getting a little nervous about the AT&T service there and was wondering if you guys have any input on that. Thanks so much!

I'm not a 2L or a 3L, but I grew up nearish to Ithaca.

In Ithaca itself, you will be perfectly fine with either AT&T or Verizon, in my experience.

However, driving around outside of Ithaca (whether on your way to Syracuse or Binghamton or other places for whatever reason), Verizon usually has better service. They just have more coverage in Upstate New York outside of cities. If your fiancee really wants an iPhone though, the coverage isn't really better enough to warrant going with Verizon.


what about t-mobile?
:D tia


from what i heard, t-mobile is horrible upstate. my friends and i used Verizon during our UG years in ithaca, and didn't have many issues with it.


great...with a year left in my contract..
bla.. :x

User avatar
Other25BeforeYou
Posts: 503
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:59 pm

panda wrote:
missv463 wrote:
panda wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:I'm not a 2L or a 3L, but I grew up nearish to Ithaca.

In Ithaca itself, you will be perfectly fine with either AT&T or Verizon, in my experience.

However, driving around outside of Ithaca (whether on your way to Syracuse or Binghamton or other places for whatever reason), Verizon usually has better service. They just have more coverage in Upstate New York outside of cities. If your fiancee really wants an iPhone though, the coverage isn't really better enough to warrant going with Verizon.


what about t-mobile?
:D tia


from what i heard, t-mobile is horrible upstate. my friends and i used Verizon during our UG years in ithaca, and didn't have many issues with it.


great...with a year left in my contract..
bla.. :x

Bring your phone, see how it works. It it doesn't work, you can always get one of those cheap AT&T trackphones to use until your plan runs out. I used one of those for a year and spent a total of about $40 (phone + minutes + texts).

User avatar
panda
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby panda » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:01 pm

i have no idea what you're talking about.. :oops:

but ill hopefully know you by the time i realize my cell is officially useless ..and you can explain it to me in person.. :D

effort much appreciated though..

User avatar
Applesauce
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:27 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby Applesauce » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:14 pm

I haven't been apartment hunting at all yet. I plan to go this weekend, but there are some issues cropping up. However, if I don't go this weekend I won't get out there until the weekend after next, around the 25th or so, and feel like that's a bit late in the game. Apartment hunting from out of state sucks!

Anyway, opinions on which weekend I should go? Am I being paranoid about housing disappearing, or should I make the trek to Ithaca as soon as possible?

Alyosha
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby Alyosha » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:11 pm

Applesauce wrote:I haven't been apartment hunting at all yet. I plan to go this weekend, but there are some issues cropping up. However, if I don't go this weekend I won't get out there until the weekend after next, around the 25th or so, and feel like that's a bit late in the game. Apartment hunting from out of state sucks!

Anyway, opinions on which weekend I should go? Am I being paranoid about housing disappearing, or should I make the trek to Ithaca as soon as possible?


I think you will probably be fine waiting until the 25th. My wife and I have been up here apartment hunting this week, and every place we looked at had available apts/townhomes.

I guess I'm just not used to upstate NY prices, but they all seemed ridiculously overpriced to us.

We are staying in Lansing West, which has several one and two bedrooms still available. It is not really walking distance from the school, but there is a bus that comes by frequently. PM or ask in the thread if you are interested in the other places we looked at.

Can't wait to meet everyone this fall.

User avatar
TopLaw_Diva
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:12 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby TopLaw_Diva » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:57 pm

panda wrote:i have no idea what you're talking about.. :oops:

but ill hopefully know you by the time i realize my cell is officially useless ..and you can explain it to me in person.. :D

effort much appreciated though..


When I visited Cornell for ASD my T-Mobile phone (an ancient Sidekick ID) worked just fine....mind you I stayed on campus at Hughes but still my phone worked fine. Can someone else with more T-Mobile experience validate this? I'm getting nervous because I really love T-Mobile and everyone I talk to has it....I really don't want to switch providers.... :(

User avatar
Other25BeforeYou
Posts: 503
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:14 pm

TopLaw_Diva wrote:
panda wrote:i have no idea what you're talking about.. :oops:

but ill hopefully know you by the time i realize my cell is officially useless ..and you can explain it to me in person.. :D

effort much appreciated though..


When I visited Cornell for ASD my T-Mobile phone (an ancient Sidekick ID) worked just fine....mind you I stayed on campus at Hughes but still my phone worked fine. Can someone else with more T-Mobile experience validate this? I'm getting nervous because I really love T-Mobile and everyone I talk to has it....I really don't want to switch providers.... :(

If you're phone worked fine then T-mobile is probably fine. I don't know anyone who uses it because they have crappy coverage outside of cities, but it makes sense that in Ithaca it would be fine.

User avatar
TopLaw_Diva
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:12 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby TopLaw_Diva » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:26 am

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
TopLaw_Diva wrote:
panda wrote:i have no idea what you're talking about.. :oops:

but ill hopefully know you by the time i realize my cell is officially useless ..and you can explain it to me in person.. :D

effort much appreciated though..


When I visited Cornell for ASD my T-Mobile phone (an ancient Sidekick ID) worked just fine....mind you I stayed on campus at Hughes but still my phone worked fine. Can someone else with more T-Mobile experience validate this? I'm getting nervous because I really love T-Mobile and everyone I talk to has it....I really don't want to switch providers.... :(

If you're phone worked fine then T-mobile is probably fine. I don't know anyone who uses it because they have crappy coverage outside of cities, but it makes sense that in Ithaca it would be fine.


Ok I feel better Thanks!!




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest