Cornell Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
ben1185

New

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Post by ben1185 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:49 pm

WAHiker wrote:
ben1185 wrote: Ahhh ok... not really all that close haha 8) . I've done quite a bit of technical climbing the two years I've been out here (Rainier, Baker, Bonanza, Stewart, and Shuksan, to name a few). I've also done some non-technical stuff like Si, Granite, Mailbox, Forgotten, and Silver. The mountains will definitely be missed.
That's a pretty impressive set of hikes to cram into two years. Are you part of a club, or just go out on your own?
We're much more amateur than that. We just try to make it a point to walk at least 6 miles in the woods each weekend. Sometimes that means it's a mountain, and sometimes it's just a bunch of nearby parks. When it's not too rainy, we usually end up somewhere in Issaquah, but we've started to venture to eWA.
I'm certainly looking forward to Ithaca, as much as I'll miss real mountains. It looks like it will be pretty easy to find some nice hikes. Maybe we can put together some group hikes.

EDIT: -Also raising hand-
I took a 3 month class on basic technical climbing, and spent most of last summer doing climbs every weekend or two. It was just so incredible and addicting having never seen anything like that before. I haven't been out much since last summer though because I spent the whole winter training for a triathlon (which was on Sunday). Too much to do and not enough time to do it all!!

We'll have to see about the hikes in Ithaca, I've heard there's some good stuff in the area, and I'm originally from about 2 hours north of there, so I can vouch for the nice weather up to about October :).

CLMoose8

New

Post by CLMoose8 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:10 pm

Damn all this talk about CDs and savings rates and 1098s make me realize how clueless I really am about such financial matters...

Karla Vargas is going to hate my guts by the time 8/01 rolls around.

TopLaw_Diva

New

Post by TopLaw_Diva » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:43 pm

CLMoose8 wrote:Damn all this talk about CDs and savings rates and 1098s make me realize how clueless I really am about such financial matters...

Welcome to the club!!! :D

jsun

New

Post by jsun » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:22 pm

ben1185 wrote:
WAHiker wrote:
ben1185 wrote: Ahhh ok... not really all that close haha 8) . I've done quite a bit of technical climbing the two years I've been out here (Rainier, Baker, Bonanza, Stewart, and Shuksan, to name a few). I've also done some non-technical stuff like Si, Granite, Mailbox, Forgotten, and Silver. The mountains will definitely be missed.
That's a pretty impressive set of hikes to cram into two years. Are you part of a club, or just go out on your own?
We're much more amateur than that. We just try to make it a point to walk at least 6 miles in the woods each weekend. Sometimes that means it's a mountain, and sometimes it's just a bunch of nearby parks. When it's not too rainy, we usually end up somewhere in Issaquah, but we've started to venture to eWA.
I'm certainly looking forward to Ithaca, as much as I'll miss real mountains. It looks like it will be pretty easy to find some nice hikes. Maybe we can put together some group hikes.

EDIT: -Also raising hand-
I took a 3 month class on basic technical climbing, and spent most of last summer doing climbs every weekend or two. It was just so incredible and addicting having never seen anything like that before. I haven't been out much since last summer though because I spent the whole winter training for a triathlon (which was on Sunday). Too much to do and not enough time to do it all!!

We'll have to see about the hikes in Ithaca, I've heard there's some good stuff in the area, and I'm originally from about 2 hours north of there, so I can vouch for the nice weather up to about October :).
I've never taken formal classes, but I've been a regular at OSU's climbing wall, and I've picked up a few things. I have yet to get a chance to go climbing outside though. Are there good rock climbing routes around Ithaca? If so, we need to get a trip going.

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:53 pm

CLMoose8 wrote:Damn all this talk about CDs and savings rates and 1098s make me realize how clueless I really am about such financial matters...

Nah. Karla's amazingly sweet, and patient. She deals with this all the time. Granted, I plan on plopping myself down again in her office chair in a week or so and barricading the door, so maybe she won't be so sweet and patient after that. Maybe you want to call this week ;).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

danielfgator

Bronze

Post by danielfgator » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:14 am

Just came back from Ithaca and found what I think is a nice place to live. Anyone else living at Valentine Park?

WAHiker

New

Post by WAHiker » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:43 pm

ben1185 wrote: I took a 3 month class on basic technical climbing, and spent most of last summer doing climbs every weekend or two. It was just so incredible and addicting having never seen anything like that before. I haven't been out much since last summer though because I spent the whole winter training for a triathlon (which was on Sunday). Too much to do and not enough time to do it all!!

Was that the triathlon in Idaho? A friend's brother had been training for that one too.
I can't even swim, let alone imagine swimming for 2 1/2 miles and then capping it off with a nice little 112mi bike ride + marathon. You folks are friggin' nuts. - In a good way, of course.

For Ithaca hikes, it looks like it's more scenic trail walking than anything else. Nothing too steep there, I gather. We got an Ithaca hikes book, so I'll try to plan a group hike for the either the weekend before or weekend after classes start, if anyone else is interested.

ben1185

New

Post by ben1185 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:16 pm

WAHiker wrote:
ben1185 wrote: I took a 3 month class on basic technical climbing, and spent most of last summer doing climbs every weekend or two. It was just so incredible and addicting having never seen anything like that before. I haven't been out much since last summer though because I spent the whole winter training for a triathlon (which was on Sunday). Too much to do and not enough time to do it all!!

Was that the triathlon in Idaho? A friend's brother had been training for that one too.
I can't even swim, let alone imagine swimming for 2 1/2 miles and then capping it off with a nice little 112mi bike ride + marathon. You folks are friggin' nuts. - In a good way, of course.

For Ithaca hikes, it looks like it's more scenic trail walking than anything else. Nothing too steep there, I gather. We got an Ithaca hikes book, so I'll try to plan a group hike for the either the weekend before or weekend after classes start, if anyone else is interested.
Yup, that's the one. It was incredible being able to finish it, and the hardest thing I've ever done.

I'm up for a hike somewhere in that area, I'm sure there will be lots of getting to know people stuff happening.

como

Silver

Post by como » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:25 pm

WAHiker wrote:

I'm totally interested. Buttermilk falls and Treman park are really nice walks, but you're right: the trails are just scenic -- nothing too challenging.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vtha

New

Post by vtha » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:18 pm

so has anyone completed everyhting we are supposed to do for the $$$$ forms?

vtha

New

Post by vtha » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:37 pm

WAHiker wrote:

WAHiker!!!!!! YOU CAN'T SWIM????? NEITHER CAN I!!!!!!

sorry I had to point that out in such an exaggerated fashion but i love meeting people who cant swim it makes me fee way more normal.

WAHiker

New

Post by WAHiker » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:40 am

vtha wrote: WAHiker!!!!!! YOU CAN'T SWIM????? NEITHER CAN I!!!!!!

sorry I had to point that out in such an exaggerated fashion but i love meeting people who cant swim it makes me fee way more normal.
Yeah :oops: My wife gives me trouble about that all the time - especially since I want to live on a sailboat someday.
It's one of the drawbacks of growing up rural in the Puget Sound area.

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:38 pm

vtha wrote:so has anyone completed everyhting we are supposed to do for the $$$$ forms?
not even close.. :oops:
haven't really looked at them properly yet.. still not sure how much im gonna borrow..
blekh..i have sooo much paperwork to fill out ..still working on health forms..
doing this stuff out of the states really is a bitch..

/rant :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:10 am

So if anyone is still looking for housing and wants to live off the hill in Fall Creek, there's a sweet 1250 sq. ft. house (2.5 br, 1 ba, LR, DR, Kit) available on E. Falls (backs up to Fall Creek, just below Ithaca Falls). Rent is $1500, no deposit, no application fee/credit check (in case you don't want to take the small hit just prior to applying for GradPlus.) We originally were renting it, but the house next door (slightly larger) became available, and so we're taking that one. Same landlord, a very cool, laid-back guy.

The house is exactly a mile from the LS, on a quiet street about five blocks from the lake. There's a yard and half a barn. Anyone interested can PM me, and I'll give you the contact info for the owner.

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:03 pm

mbw wrote:So if anyone is still looking for housing and wants to live off the hill in Fall Creek, there's a sweet 1250 sq. ft. house (2.5 br, 1 ba, LR, DR, Kit) available on E. Falls (backs up to Fall Creek, just below Ithaca Falls). Rent is $1500, no deposit, no application fee/credit check (in case you don't want to take the small hit just prior to applying for GradPlus.) We originally were renting it, but the house next door (slightly larger) became available, and so we're taking that one. Same landlord, a very cool, laid-back guy.

The house is exactly a mile from the LS, on a quiet street about five blocks from the lake. There's a yard and half a barn. Anyone interested can PM me, and I'll give you the contact info for the owner.
Yaaaaay that's a few blocks from my apartment.

I guess Ithaca's pretty small, so a fairly large percentage of all housing is a few blocks from my apartment, but I still get really excited when I hear about someone living close to me.

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:48 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
mbw wrote:So if anyone is still looking for housing and wants to live off the hill in Fall Creek, there's a sweet 1250 sq. ft. house (2.5 br, 1 ba, LR, DR, Kit) available on E. Falls (backs up to Fall Creek, just below Ithaca Falls). Rent is $1500, no deposit, no application fee/credit check (in case you don't want to take the small hit just prior to applying for GradPlus.) We originally were renting it, but the house next door (slightly larger) became available, and so we're taking that one. Same landlord, a very cool, laid-back guy.

I guess Ithaca's pretty small, so a fairly large percentage of all housing is a few blocks from my apartment, but I still get really excited when I hear about someone living close to me.
With so many people living in Collegetown, I get excited too when I see someone else living in Fall Creek! And if we can get a law student(s) to rent the house next door, there will be even more of us! Block party!

I suspect that you're south of me, as the only think north is the Falls. ;) Are you there now? We move in July 1, but are in Ithaca in temporary digs.

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:53 pm

mbw wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:

With so many people living in Collegetown, I get excited too when I see someone else living in Fall Creek! And if we can get a law student(s) to rent the house next door, there will be even more of us! Block party!

I suspect that you're south of me, as the only think north is the Falls. ;) Are you there now? We move in July 1, but are in Ithaca in temporary digs.
PMing you re: street I'm on. I don't move in until August 1st. Are you enjoying Ithaca so far?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:00 am

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
mbw wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:

PMing you re: street I'm on. I don't move in until August 1st. Are you enjoying Ithaca so far?
Got the PM! Kewl that you're so close!

I'm getting used to Ithaca, although much of the time has been spent on basics like housing, school registrations (for the kids), car repair and general layout of the town. I usually have a great sense of direction, but for some reason, I got oriented wrong the first day, and now I'm trying to reorient myself all the time.

I grew up in New England towns not dissimilar to Ithaca, so it's pretty familiar all around. I figure that once we move into the house next week, things will calm down, and I'll start chomping at the bit for classes to begin.

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:14 pm

mbw wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:
mbw wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote: Yaaaaay that's a few blocks from my apartment.

I'm getting used to Ithaca, although much of the time has been spent on basics like housing, school registrations (for the kids), car repair and general layout of the town. I usually have a great sense of direction, but for some reason, I got oriented wrong the first day, and now I'm trying to reorient myself all the time.

I grew up in New England towns not dissimilar to Ithaca, so it's pretty familiar all around. I figure that once we move into the house next week, things will calm down, and I'll start chomping at the bit for classes to begin.
I'm jealous that you're settling in and getting organized. I want to do that! Do your kids seem to be liking Ithaca so far? What grades are they in? Is this getting stalkerish? Feel free to not answer or PM.

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:27 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
mbw wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:
mbw wrote:

I'm jealous that you're settling in and getting organized. I want to do that! Do your kids seem to be liking Ithaca so far? What grades are they in? Is this getting stalkerish? Feel free to not answer or PM.

It's okay, really. We're all going to get to know each other pretty well, and as a political blogger and former legislative candidate, my life on the Net has been pretty public for years. :)

My kids really do seem to like Ithaca so far. But, after vagabonding around the US and Canada for four years in an RV, they're probably more flexible than the average bear(s). If anything, they're pretty happy to settle for a while, and Ithaca reminds them a bit of Maine (where they grew up before we vagabonded them.) They'll be in 1st, 4th, 6th and 7th grades. Two boys, two girls. The boys are both autistic, though differently affected. My spouse works from home, so he'll be primary parent for at least the next year.

Who else is bringing a family? I know at least two others on TLS.

hokoelc

New

Post by hokoelc » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:25 am

Is anyone moving out there later than August 1st?? I'm arriving on the 14th and am just gonna do massive home shopping and try to get over my jet-lag and buy books and furnish my place in 2 days, before the academic orientation thing on the 17th. Tell me I'm not crazy.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JJim1919

New

Post by JJim1919 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:37 am

hokoelc wrote:Is anyone moving out there later than August 1st?? I'm arriving on the 14th and am just gonna do massive home shopping and try to get over my jet-lag and buy books and furnish my place in 2 days, before the academic orientation thing on the 17th. Tell me I'm not crazy.
I wasnt going to move out there until like a week before orientation. But im just a kid out of college, so I dont really have family responsibilites or anything like that.

WAHiker

New

Post by WAHiker » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:56 am

JJim1919 wrote:
hokoelc wrote:Is anyone moving out there later than August 1st?? I'm arriving on the 14th and am just gonna do massive home shopping and try to get over my jet-lag and buy books and furnish my place in 2 days, before the academic orientation thing on the 17th. Tell me I'm not crazy.
I wasnt going to move out there until like a week before orientation. But im just a kid out of college, so I dont really have family responsibilites or anything like that.
We're still trying to decide whether we'll start driving from Seattle on the 10th or the 17th. Either way, it's going to take about 4-5 days with sightseeing. Then we'll have a few days to unpack, figure out where everything is, and hopefully meet some people before the reg orientation on the 24th.

danielfgator

Bronze

Post by danielfgator » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:48 am

I'm moving on the 16th, that's when my lease starts... :?

missv463

New

Post by missv463 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:25 pm

i'm doing the exact same thing, but arriving on the 15th... going to be a busy wknd!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”