Cornell Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
CLMoose8
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:10 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby CLMoose8 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:02 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
danielfgator wrote:-After taking the tour (and not liking it) I checked the prices online. Jeez... it's way too expensive.

No joke. There are sweet one bedroom apartments nearish to the law school for the same price as a large single in hughes.


This is very true but as someone currently going through the nightmare that is subletting an apartment it will be nice not having to worry about that and utilities and such things.

jsun
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 12:38 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby jsun » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:34 pm

CLMoose8 wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:
danielfgator wrote:-After taking the tour (and not liking it) I checked the prices online. Jeez... it's way too expensive.

No joke. There are sweet one bedroom apartments nearish to the law school for the same price as a large single in hughes.


This is very true but as someone currently going through the nightmare that is subletting an apartment it will be nice not having to worry about that and utilities and such things.


+1

That is the reason why I decided to go with Hughes. I also figure that with the money I'm saving, I'll be able to eat out much more. The lack of a kitchen won't be as problematic (I can spend around 400 on food every month based on the budget).

User avatar
CLMoose8
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:10 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby CLMoose8 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:18 pm

jsun wrote:
CLMoose8 wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:
danielfgator wrote:-After taking the tour (and not liking it) I checked the prices online. Jeez... it's way too expensive.

No joke. There are sweet one bedroom apartments nearish to the law school for the same price as a large single in hughes.


This is very true but as someone currently going through the nightmare that is subletting an apartment it will be nice not having to worry about that and utilities and such things.


+1

That is the reason why I decided to go with Hughes. I also figure that with the money I'm saving, I'll be able to eat out much more. The lack of a kitchen won't be as problematic (I can spend around 400 on food every month based on the budget).


To paraphrase John Masefield (or was it Willy Wonka?)... all I ask is a chicken breast and a George Foreman to grill it by.

spike
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:46 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby spike » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:28 pm

Meh. I'm not too critical of Hughes. It's a dorm. If people living there are okay with dealing with dorm-life for law school, they'll be fine. However, note this Hughes residents: you don't get a coat locker. But it's not much of a problem since your room is a brisk five minute walk from anywhere within the law school.

Also, hopingtogo, I'm going to beg/plead/implore that you cook delicious Mexican food. Please? :)

User avatar
sheltron5000
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby sheltron5000 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:12 pm

spike wrote:Also, hopingtogo, I'm going to beg/plead/implore that you cook delicious Mexican food. Please? :)


2nded, but extra emphasis on the delicious part, with a deemphasis on the begging/pleading my need for mexican food is apparently not as dramatic as spike's ;)

User avatar
sheltron5000
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby sheltron5000 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:45 pm

So I'm officially part of the class of 2012 again. My cycle is now complete! Happy Dance!!

User avatar
stayingclassy
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:14 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby stayingclassy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:50 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:So I'm officially part of the class of 2012 again. My cycle is now complete! Happy Dance!!


Congrats - see you in August!

Alyosha
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby Alyosha » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:40 pm

I have a financial aid question. The only thing I have received is the award letter (which was unimpressive, to say the least), and the letter did not give any instructions about forms that should be completed/dates that are important to watch for, etc. They have not contacted me since. I see there is a gradplus application form on the website, has anyone sent this in yet? Should I wait for an email with instructions about what to do next?

Thanks in advance for any help. I don't post much on this site but everyone in this thread has been super helpful and I really appreciate your willingness to post about housing and life in ithaca. I look forward to meeting everyone in the fall. Just two months away!

spike
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:46 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby spike » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:07 pm

Alyosha wrote:I have a financial aid question. The only thing I have received is the award letter (which was unimpressive, to say the least), and the letter did not give any instructions about forms that should be completed/dates that are important to watch for, etc. They have not contacted me since. I see there is a gradplus application form on the website, has anyone sent this in yet? Should I wait for an email with instructions about what to do next?

Thanks in advance for any help. I don't post much on this site but everyone in this thread has been super helpful and I really appreciate your willingness to post about housing and life in ithaca. I look forward to meeting everyone in the fall. Just two months away!


Karla said she would be contacting us over the summer to complete the paperwork. If I remember correctly she said (slowly but loud to emphasize the point), "You don't need to do a thing until I tell you to. Be sure to check your email over the summer b/c that's the way I'm contacting you." I haven't heard a peep from the fin aid office, so I assume I'm fine. I'll call tomorrow to verify.

sheltron5000 wrote:So I'm officially part of the class of 2012 again. My cycle is now complete! Happy Dance!!

Great news!

User avatar
como
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby como » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:55 am

Alyosha wrote:I have a financial aid question. The only thing I have received is the award letter (which was unimpressive, to say the least), and the letter did not give any instructions about forms that should be completed/dates that are important to watch for, etc. They have not contacted me since. I see there is a gradplus application form on the website, has anyone sent this in yet? Should I wait for an email with instructions about what to do next?

Thanks in advance for any help. I don't post much on this site but everyone in this thread has been super helpful and I really appreciate your willingness to post about housing and life in ithaca. I look forward to meeting everyone in the fall. Just two months away!


You can start by filling out the MPN and DLS stuff that is linked to via the website (Cornell Law -> Admissions -> Financial Aid -> Financial Aid FAQ). Once you do everything (including completing the quiz), just sit back and wait for contact from Financial Aid.

WAHiker
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby WAHiker » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:15 pm

Hello everybody,

It looks like I'll be joining a number of you at 700 Stewart! We haven't actually seen the apartment, but we're hoping that it's comfy for two people... is anyone else living two to a one bedroom there?

spike
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:46 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby spike » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:47 pm

I called today and if you've already been awarded aid, you needn't do a thing until Karla's email arrives in your inbox (to be sent within the next two weeks).

User avatar
danielfgator
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:02 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby danielfgator » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:03 pm

Had my physical this morning and I Just mailed off my Health info form. That was close - Just realized it had a June 12th deadline a couple of days a go.

User avatar
sheltron5000
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby sheltron5000 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:05 pm

WAHiker wrote:Hello everybody,

It looks like I'll be joining a number of you at 700 Stewart! We haven't actually seen the apartment, but we're hoping that it's comfy for two people... is anyone else living two to a one bedroom there?


I didn't see the one bedroom units, but if the 2 bedrooms are anything to go by you should be fine, a little tight for two people studying though.

User avatar
sheltron5000
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby sheltron5000 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:06 pm

spike wrote:I called today and if you've already been awarded aid, you needn't do a thing until Karla's email arrives in your inbox (to be sent within the next two weeks).



Thanks for that!

Alyosha
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby Alyosha » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:37 pm

spike wrote:I called today and if you've already been awarded aid, you needn't do a thing until Karla's email arrives in your inbox (to be sent within the next two weeks).


Thank you Spike, this was very helpful.

spike
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:46 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby spike » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:03 pm


WAHiker
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby WAHiker » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:03 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:
WAHiker wrote:Hello everybody,

It looks like I'll be joining a number of you at 700 Stewart! We haven't actually seen the apartment, but we're hoping that it's comfy for two people... is anyone else living two to a one bedroom there?


I didn't see the one bedroom units, but if the 2 bedrooms are anything to go by you should be fine, a little tight for two people studying though.


Thanks sheltron!

User avatar
sheltron5000
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby sheltron5000 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:28 pm

You're welcome.

Also, are we really gonna let a day just go by with no posts?

/posting for posting's sake

User avatar
CLMoose8
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:10 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby CLMoose8 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:42 pm

so how are all you guys planning to subtly mess with your ID card photos

i'm thinking big fake mustache, but only big and fake enough to the point where it would still be plausible. like the mustache of a guy who really, really likes to fish.

edit: also possibly a temporary facial tattoo ala Mike Tyson
Last edited by CLMoose8 on Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sheltron5000
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby sheltron5000 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:16 pm

I was gonna go with the groucho marx glasses/cigar.
CLMoose8 wrote:so how are all you guys planning to subtly mess with your ID card photos

i'm thinking big fake mustache, but only big and fake enough to the point where it would still be plausible. like the mustache of a guy who really, really like to fish.

edit: also possibly a temporary facial tattoo ala Mike Tyson



I loled and didn't know what to do with this.

User avatar
TopLaw_Diva
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:12 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby TopLaw_Diva » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:57 pm

Ok so I asked these questions over on the Cornell IL thread but maybe some of you have heard about this already...

1) Are seating charts used? If so, is seating assigned? Which classes?

2) Advice on study groups? For my UG I studied alone and I was planning on doing the same for law school but I'm not so sure if that's a good idea....

Thoughts??? :lol:

woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby woeisme » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:22 am

TopLaw_Diva wrote:Ok so I asked these questions over on the Cornell IL thread but maybe some of you have heard about this already...

1) Are seating charts used? If so, is seating assigned? Which classes?

2) Advice on study groups? For my UG I studied alone and I was planning on doing the same for law school but I'm not so sure if that's a good idea....

Thoughts??? :lol:


1) This varies by class, but I think the vast majority use seating charts, but don't assign seating. What will happen is that you'll pick where you want to sit - they'll mark that down. And then you just keep sitting there throughout the semester. The only class that didn't work like this was my lawyering class (in which we could sit wherever whenever).

2) This is a personal preference thing. I never used study groups. I know people who did. Both ways work.

User avatar
como
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby como » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:34 am

CLMoose8 wrote:so how are all you guys planning to subtly mess with your ID card photos

i'm thinking big fake mustache, but only big and fake enough to the point where it would still be plausible. like the mustache of a guy who really, really likes to fish.

edit: also possibly a temporary facial tattoo ala Mike Tyson


Why have a fake mustache? You've got time to grow it, bro. I might get a gnarly mullet going. I'm half-way there.

User avatar
TopLaw_Diva
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:12 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby TopLaw_Diva » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:30 pm

woeisme wrote:
TopLaw_Diva wrote:Ok so I asked these questions over on the Cornell IL thread but maybe some of you have heard about this already...

1) Are seating charts used? If so, is seating assigned? Which classes?

2) Advice on study groups? For my UG I studied alone and I was planning on doing the same for law school but I'm not so sure if that's a good idea....

Thoughts??? :lol:


1) This varies by class, but I think the vast majority use seating charts, but don't assign seating. What will happen is that you'll pick where you want to sit - they'll mark that down. And then you just keep sitting there throughout the semester. The only class that didn't work like this was my lawyering class (in which we could sit wherever whenever).

2) This is a personal preference thing. I never used study groups. I know people who did. Both ways work.


Thanks...may I ask why you opted out of the whole study group scene? I tend to get easily distracted so that's why it may not work for me.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest