Cornell Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
JJim1919
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:33 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby JJim1919 » Fri May 08, 2009 11:08 pm

Applesauce wrote:Anyone who might be able to answer this question, I would appreciate it...

Will it be impossible to find living quarters that aren't outrageously expensive or outrageously shitty if I can't apartment hunt until late June/ early July? My main concern is that the place be affordable; I don't mind living farther down the hill.

Thanks!


I will be in the same situation. Also, I have a question regarding apartments. Is it quite common for 1L's or people in general to get apartments alone in Ithaca? I have a friend who goes to undergrad in Ithaca and said that no one in Ithaca lives alone, and you will be deemed a loner if you do. Is this true for grad students? For anyone?

LeahNic
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:10 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby LeahNic » Fri May 08, 2009 11:30 pm

JJim1919 wrote:
Applesauce wrote:Anyone who might be able to answer this question, I would appreciate it...

Will it be impossible to find living quarters that aren't outrageously expensive or outrageously shitty if I can't apartment hunt until late June/ early July? My main concern is that the place be affordable; I don't mind living farther down the hill.

Thanks!


I will be in the same situation. Also, I have a question regarding apartments. Is it quite common for 1L's or people in general to get apartments alone in Ithaca? I have a friend who goes to undergrad in Ithaca and said that no one in Ithaca lives alone, and you will be deemed a loner if you do. Is this true for grad students? For anyone?


It's pretty common for law students to live alone. Several of my good friends do, and those that dont are living with either 1 other person or a significant other. I think the environment is just different from undergrad.

User avatar
Other25BeforeYou
Posts: 503
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sat May 09, 2009 1:08 am

JJim1919 wrote:
Applesauce wrote:Anyone who might be able to answer this question, I would appreciate it...

Will it be impossible to find living quarters that aren't outrageously expensive or outrageously shitty if I can't apartment hunt until late June/ early July? My main concern is that the place be affordable; I don't mind living farther down the hill.

Thanks!


I will be in the same situation. Also, I have a question regarding apartments. Is it quite common for 1L's or people in general to get apartments alone in Ithaca? I have a friend who goes to undergrad in Ithaca and said that no one in Ithaca lives alone, and you will be deemed a loner if you do. Is this true for grad students? For anyone?

I think for law school you should do whatever is economically and psychologically soundest for you.

If people give a shit, it says something about them, and nothing about you.

JJim1919
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:33 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby JJim1919 » Sat May 09, 2009 1:18 am

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
JJim1919 wrote:
Applesauce wrote:Anyone who might be able to answer this question, I would appreciate it...

Will it be impossible to find living quarters that aren't outrageously expensive or outrageously shitty if I can't apartment hunt until late June/ early July? My main concern is that the place be affordable; I don't mind living farther down the hill.

Thanks!


I will be in the same situation. Also, I have a question regarding apartments. Is it quite common for 1L's or people in general to get apartments alone in Ithaca? I have a friend who goes to undergrad in Ithaca and said that no one in Ithaca lives alone, and you will be deemed a loner if you do. Is this true for grad students? For anyone?

I think for law school you should do whatever is economically and psychologically soundest for you.

If people give a shit, it says something about them, and nothing about you.


Of course. The only reason I asked is because I have never lived alone before. I think it will be helpful with studying and all, but I have always lived with roomates/parents...etc. Just making sure I wasn't overlooking anything.

User avatar
treschic
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:22 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby treschic » Sat May 09, 2009 1:32 am

JJim1919 wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:
JJim1919 wrote:
Applesauce wrote:Anyone who might be able to answer this question, I would appreciate it...

Will it be impossible to find living quarters that aren't outrageously expensive or outrageously shitty if I can't apartment hunt until late June/ early July? My main concern is that the place be affordable; I don't mind living farther down the hill.

Thanks!


I will be in the same situation. Also, I have a question regarding apartments. Is it quite common for 1L's or people in general to get apartments alone in Ithaca? I have a friend who goes to undergrad in Ithaca and said that no one in Ithaca lives alone, and you will be deemed a loner if you do. Is this true for grad students? For anyone?

I think for law school you should do whatever is economically and psychologically soundest for you.

If people give a shit, it says something about them, and nothing about you.


Of course. The only reason I asked is because I have never lived alone before. I think it will be helpful with studying and all, but I have always lived with roomates/parents...etc. Just making sure I wasn't overlooking anything.



I think the real question is whether or not you feel okay living alone. Just think, would you rather live by yourself or with random roommates (unless you had ppl you know to live with)? 1L is already going to be an adjustment...If you're happy living by yourself, then it shouldn't matter what others think.

User avatar
Applesauce
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:27 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby Applesauce » Sat May 09, 2009 11:04 am

I agree with treschic and Other25; I lived alone my entire UG b/c that way I always had my own space to relax and study when I wanted to, but I am by no means a loner...according to my friends I usually bring the party with me :P

At any rate, to my original question: I should be fine if I don't mind living further down the hill? Yay! Since I prefer living alone, do you think I will have trouble finding a 1-bedroom or studio further down the hill if I look in late June/early July? Anybody know any good apartments in this area, or is it mostly people renting out sections of their home (like a basement apartment)? I see a lot of that on Craigslist...I'd rather do a managed apt. if I can.
Thanks Again! :D
Last edited by Applesauce on Sat May 09, 2009 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby woeisme » Sat May 09, 2009 11:54 am

JJim1919 wrote:I will be in the same situation. Also, I have a question regarding apartments. Is it quite common for 1L's or people in general to get apartments alone in Ithaca? I have a friend who goes to undergrad in Ithaca and said that no one in Ithaca lives alone, and you will be deemed a loner if you do. Is this true for grad students? For anyone?


More true for undergrads I'm sure. Regardless, I don't know any one who has that impression re: law students.

jsun
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 12:38 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby jsun » Sun May 10, 2009 10:49 am

I was told by the housing department that I wouldn't get a dorm. I decided to look for a private apartment. I located an apartment that is on 114 Summit Ave, and I signed the lease. Of course, I then received the email that I got a dorm.

Please let me know ASAP if you're interested in the apartment. It is located in an actual apartment building as opposed to a room in a house. It is an efficiency with a bathroom and full kitchen for 689.17 a month, including all utilities except electric. Look up the address and you'll find it to be ridiculously close to the law school. Email me at johnsun87@gmail.com or call at 614-202-9489 if you're interested. I have pictures of the location.

Since there is a time limit on when I have to reply to the dorm, and I don't want to cause too much trouble for the realtor, I would really like to settle this issue ASAP.

Thanks.

-John

(This is the same post I placed on Cornell's Admitted student discussion board, which apparently no one uses.)

vtha
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:14 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby vtha » Sun May 10, 2009 4:56 pm

jsun wrote:I was told by the housing department that I wouldn't get a dorm. I decided to look for a private apartment. I located an apartment that is on 114 Summit Ave, and I signed the lease. Of course, I then received the email that I got a dorm.

Please let me know ASAP if you're interested in the apartment. It is located in an actual apartment building as opposed to a room in a house. It is an efficiency with a bathroom and full kitchen for 689.17 a month, including all utilities except electric. Look up the address and you'll find it to be ridiculously close to the law school. Email me at johnsun87@gmail.com or call at 614-202-9489 if you're interested. I have pictures of the location.

Since there is a time limit on when I have to reply to the dorm, and I don't want to cause too much trouble for the realtor, I would really like to settle this issue ASAP.

Thanks.

-John


(This is the same post I placed on Cornell's Admitted student discussion board, which apparently no one uses.)



I'll call them on monday and ask if they know if i will be getting a dorm and i will get back to you

Patches
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:15 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby Patches » Mon May 11, 2009 9:51 am

Hey everyone, I applied for Hughes 4/8 and got my housing contract email last week. It says I'm in L01...what does 01 mean? The first room on the ground floor?

Also, does anyone know if the contract is binding even if we decide to withdraw from Cornell later in the summer? I'm still on a few waitlists that I want to wait out, but I also want to live in Hughes if I stay with Cornell...

Thanks!

User avatar
Applesauce
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:27 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby Applesauce » Mon May 11, 2009 10:05 am

Anybody joining the second Class of 2012 Facebook group? Just got the email...

vtha
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:14 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby vtha » Mon May 11, 2009 10:09 am

I did!!!!

User avatar
sheltron5000
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby sheltron5000 » Mon May 11, 2009 10:17 am

Applesauce wrote:Anybody joining the second Class of 2012 Facebook group? Just got the email...


um yeh, naturally.

TEH SAED TERE WUD B INFORMATIONZ!!


--ImageRemoved--

missv463
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:26 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby missv463 » Mon May 11, 2009 10:21 am

Applesauce wrote:Anybody joining the second Class of 2012 Facebook group? Just got the email...



there's another FB group? omg!

User avatar
soul_echoes
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby soul_echoes » Mon May 11, 2009 10:27 am

Anyone want to start a third one? :twisted:

vtha
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:14 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby vtha » Mon May 11, 2009 10:33 am

the email is form the official cornell law school (they made it) and they don't confirm you until they verify you sent in your deposit

User avatar
como
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby como » Mon May 11, 2009 10:37 am

The funny thing is that I was a part of that group for the past few months. I searched for a fb group for '12 a few months ago and found that. I requested to join and Sarah Busse confirmed my request. Then, a few weeks ago, that group was gone. They must have remade it...

User avatar
sheltron5000
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby sheltron5000 » Mon May 11, 2009 10:45 am

I wonder if they made the group so that other people wouldn't try to make their own and get everything all decentralized, that worked.... ::)

But I have two questions: Who is this sarah busse, and why have I not seen her name before?

User avatar
danielfgator
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:02 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby danielfgator » Mon May 11, 2009 10:47 am

sheltron5000 wrote:I wonder if they made the group so that other people wouldn't try to make their own and get everything all decentralized, that worked.... ::)

But I have two questions: Who is this sarah busse, and why have I not seen her name before?



+1.

User avatar
sheltron5000
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby sheltron5000 » Mon May 11, 2009 10:48 am

soul_echoes wrote:Anyone want to start a third one? :twisted:


YES!!!

but only to be an ass. I had to reread the email twice before I decided it wasn't just an extra fb group, but it does seem superfluous.

User avatar
como
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby como » Mon May 11, 2009 10:52 am

Something tells me we will need the 'official' group for all professional uses, while it will be imperative to maintain the 'unofficial' group for party announcements :)

vtha
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:14 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby vtha » Mon May 11, 2009 10:54 am

^ +1

User avatar
sheltron5000
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby sheltron5000 » Mon May 11, 2009 10:56 am

como wrote:Something tells me we will need the 'official' group for all professional uses, while it will be imperative to maintain the 'unofficial' group for party announcements :)


TITCR

User avatar
Applesauce
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:27 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby Applesauce » Mon May 11, 2009 11:32 am

LoL; you guys are silly.

I have another question. How did you all get your financial aid award info (email, snail mail)? There was a mix-up so I still haven't got mine. Thanks! :D

User avatar
sheltron5000
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby sheltron5000 » Mon May 11, 2009 11:34 am

officially by snail mail, but I emailed Karla after a week or two and she just zipped me a pdf scan by email.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests