Cornell Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
Other25BeforeYou
Posts: 503
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:48 am

sheltron5000 wrote:I'll be there :D

I dunno, it sounded like studymaster was coming. hold on, I'll go check the facebook page.


edited for excessive comma usage.

Oh, I forgot to say that I think I will be there now. There is a 90% chance my guest (my brother) will leave before eight, and if he doesn't, a 50% chance I will bring him along (if that would be okay with people). If I come at eight will people still be there?

And with me there it will no longer be a total sausagefest.

User avatar
sheltron5000
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby sheltron5000 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:22 am

feel free to bring him along. If there's only a handful of people he shouldn't feel too out of place ;) (I know how intimidatingly brilliant we all are). I can't imagine that we'd leave before 9, at the earliest, unless everyone is abysmally boring (which really wouldn't bode well for the next three years ;) )

User avatar
panda
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby panda » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:14 am

Other25BeforeYou wrote:I just realized that Clermont was the professor who taught the class on Res Judicata when I was at Cornell for ASD. And then I got really excited.


you were there at that ASD too?! we might know each other already.. :wink:

updating the list (on pg. 46) soon!

User avatar
como
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby como » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:04 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:I'll be there :D

I dunno, it sounded like studymaster was coming. hold on, I'll go check the facebook page.


edited for excessive comma usage.

Oh, I forgot to say that I think I will be there now. There is a 90% chance my guest (my brother) will leave before eight, and if he doesn't, a 50% chance I will bring him along (if that would be okay with people). If I come at eight will people still be there?

And with me there it will no longer be a total sausagefest.


Cool, cool, cool.

sheltron5000 wrote:feel free to bring him along. If there's only a handful of people he shouldn't feel too out of place ;) (I know how intimidatingly brilliant we all are). I can't imagine that we'd leave before 9, at the earliest, unless everyone is abysmally boring (which really wouldn't bode well for the next three years ;) )


I'll just be getting started by 9... I've got a lot of drinking to get out of my system before September.

User avatar
sheltron5000
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby sheltron5000 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:09 pm

Before Aug 27, or am I mistaken?

User avatar
como
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby como » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:10 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:Before Aug 27, or am I mistaken?


I will still be drinking...

User avatar
sheltron5000
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby sheltron5000 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:12 pm

thought that might be the case (ba-dum-ching!)

User avatar
como
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby como » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:34 pm

I actually can't make it anymore guys....I'm sorry for flaking out. I promise that there is a good reason. Maybe sometime next week we can catch a drink?

User avatar
sheltron5000
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby sheltron5000 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:13 pm

como wrote:I actually can't make it anymore guys....I'm sorry for flaking out. I promise that there is a good reason. Maybe sometime next week we can catch a drink?


If you're gonna skip out maybe we don't wanna drink with you! :x

JK :D I'm thinking we should probably just plan to meet at the CH next saturday too, there really aren't many people in Ithaca right now.

So far it looks like it's just going to be:
me,
Studymaster,
90% chance of other25beforeyou

User avatar
studymaster
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:09 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby studymaster » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:26 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:
como wrote:I actually can't make it anymore guys....I'm sorry for flaking out. I promise that there is a good reason. Maybe sometime next week we can catch a drink?


If you're gonna skip out maybe we don't wanna drink with you! :x

JK :D I'm thinking we should probably just plan to meet at the CH next saturday too, there really aren't many people in Ithaca right now.

So far it looks like it's just going to be:
me,
Studymaster,
90% chance of other25beforeyou

Sorry to kill the buzz, but last minute change of plans has me in Manhattan tomorrow, and wont be back until very late. It's silly I have been in ithaca this long and will be missing the first TLS meet up!

User avatar
mbw
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:56 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby mbw » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:52 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:
como wrote:I actually can't make it anymore guys....I'm sorry for flaking out. I promise that there is a good reason. Maybe sometime next week we can catch a drink?


If you're gonna skip out maybe we don't wanna drink with you! :x

JK :D I'm thinking we should probably just plan to meet at the CH next saturday too, there really aren't many people in Ithaca right now.

So far it looks like it's just going to be:
me,
Studymaster,
90% chance of other25beforeyou


Would you guys be completely skeezed if an old broad showed up for a few? I'd love to finally meet you, Shel.

ETA: and of course, you too, O25BY...being neighbors and all!

User avatar
sheltron5000
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby sheltron5000 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:12 pm

Of course you're welcome, MBW, I'll see you there ( I leave for the airport in about an hour :shock: )

User avatar
panda
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby panda » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:01 pm

safe trip shel! see you in a few..

WAHiker
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby WAHiker » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:03 pm

Will I be all alone in section B?

User avatar
panda
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby panda » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:42 am

WAHiker wrote:Will I be all alone in section B?


on pg. 46 there is a list of all the people who announced their section.. you're not alone! :wink:

im gonna keep updating it..

hokoelc
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:35 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby hokoelc » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:57 am

i'm dying of apprehension... gonna embark on my 20-hour flight to ithaca in just a few hours! somehow i feel like i'm going into this blind. oh well. you all seem like a lovely bunch, so i'm excited to meet you all! :) thank heavens for TLS and thanks, Panda, for getting some info on those profs. :wink:

User avatar
panda
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby panda » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:13 am

have a safe flight hok!! :mrgreen:

User avatar
sheltron5000
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby sheltron5000 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:28 am

I'm here!

So my cat hated the trip (not a peep out of him though, I think he was trying to hide from EVERYTHING). Unfortunately, he didn't make the 12 hours with no litter box :( Now I have to go buy soap and give a FREAKED out cat a bath :shock:

Also, my landlord's definition of "clean" could use some refreshing ;) But it's not awful, and I'm settling in, beautiful day too.

Anyone up for lunch?

User avatar
sheltron5000
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby sheltron5000 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:44 am

hokoelc wrote:i'm dying of apprehension... gonna embark on my 20-hour flight to ithaca in just a few hours! somehow i feel like i'm going into this blind. oh well. you all seem like a lovely bunch, so i'm excited to meet you all! :) thank heavens for TLS and thanks, Panda, for getting some info on those profs. :wink:


Let me know when you get in, I'm gonna be here all alone for a while :(

LeahNic
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:10 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby LeahNic » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:59 pm

Ok, if you want more tips on professors -- here are my thoughts on the first year profs I had.

Civ Pro (fall) Rossi -- great teacher, terrified me at first but loved him eventually. DONT miss class. Everything he says write down. When you get to the test its simply a matter of transferring what you wrote down. He doesn't like you to ramble about issues that ARENT actually there. I missed 2 days of class and seriously those two days were really important I realized later. He has great stories too. And whoever gets called on the first day-- don't feel too bad-- no one knows what is going on.

Civ Pro (spring) Clermont -- Ehh. He's funny though and adds random useless trivia to every class. Don't put too much time and energy into studying -- the test is a total crapshoot. Do read the stories-- like someone else said a ridiculous proportion of questions was from that book. Tricky ones too.

Torts- Heise -- He says "if you will" A LOT. He goes over issues to a fault sometimes I think because some ppl just aren't getting basic concepts. At some point I think you need to cut ppl off. He doesnt care about class participation or attendance for your grade. I skipped 5 times and it didn't affect my grade. Don't push it though. For his test-- put anything and everything you can think of that you can make work at all in. And write thesis paragraphs for each question even if you are just repeating other stuff that's woven into your argument. He likes those.

Con Law - Johnson -- loved her, loved the class, and spent every day in mortal terror of being called on a second time (I got called on 3rd day). Her tests are hard, but she kind of guides you into what she wants throughout the semester. Don't be afraid to speak up even if you have a differing view point. She likes that. I dont think class participation really affects your grade, but she is remarkably observant and will notice if you miss too much or if you are playing games and not paying attention.

Property - Alexander -- I dont think he is teaching this again so it may not be helpful. Participate in class as much as possible he likes that. He is really good and entertaining, but his schtick can get old. He spends too much time on future interests and rushes you through several other topics so be prepared for that.

Crim Law - Garvey-- loved him and the class. (this isn't till spring for y'all so you may not remember but oh well) Didnt do as well in the class as I would have liked. For the test, its closed book but you have the MPC in front of you. Memorize the MPC (model penal code) even though you will have it in front of you. Generally, 2 of his essays are MPC and 1 is common law. You will not have time to decipher the MPC on the test. Just know it as well as if you didnt get to have a copy in front of you. This is the mistake I made-- I didnt know it enough.

Contracts (fall) -- Hillman -- LOVED Hillman. I found him hilarious including the fact he repeats jokes from his hornbook. He isn't scary when he calls on you but DO NOT say that you are unprepared if you havent already told him. Either be prepared or tell him before class that you aren't. Worst day ever when that happened to someone. He also seesm to disproportionately call on ppl (some none, some 4 times etc.) He teaches the rule, applies it to the fact pattern and moves on. I didnt find it difficult, but his test has a lot of MC which seem kind of subjective as if you need to think like him. That was kinda tough. If you get to class a couple minutes early you can see him looking at his seating chart to see what part of the room and who he is gonna be calling on.

Contracts (spring) Hoffman- he was a visiting prof, so I wont go into detail. LOVED the class though.

18488
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:57 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby 18488 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:52 pm

Leah's descriptions are spot on. Only advice I would add is that for Johnson, it's really important to read the footnotes, and memorize the text of the main constitutional provisions that all the cases cite to. It's a closed book exam, but you would do yourself a favor by being able to spit out the precise language of the due process, equal protection, and commerce clauses clauses on the exam). One day, she railed on a friend of mine for a good 10 minutes for trying to decipher a footnote he hadn't read while he was responding to her question. In class, she's emanates brilliance, and expects the same from you.

Also, Heise says "now flip it" very often. In class, after a student applies analyzes a set of facts and reaches one conclusion, he wants you to reach a different opinion by applying different principles to the same facts.

User avatar
sheltron5000
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby sheltron5000 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:02 pm

wow, thanks you guys. that's a ton of great info.

User avatar
panda
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby panda » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:07 pm

i didn't read it all yet, because I was just dropping in, but holy crap.

Image

fsohn
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:06 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby fsohn » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:26 pm

Another comment on Garvey: I heard bad things about him from 2Ls. They said he was boring. While his voice is a bit droning, he's actually very engaging, once you get used to his style--he's got a unique sense of humor, and in office hours is very, very, very helpful. He will tell you directly whether something will be on the exam, and how much you need to know, and will spend extra time explaining something if you really don't get it. Overall, I found him to be the most approachable professor I had last year. He also explains things extremely clearly and in a very easily structured manner in class, such that my outline was mostly my verbatim notes. Also If things are the same as they were last year, the criminal law of sexual offenses will be taught but not tested.

User avatar
neskerdoo
Posts: 599
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:13 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby neskerdoo » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:29 pm

fsohn wrote: Overall, I found him to be the most approachable professor I had last year.



there is no one I would trust more on this topic... on that note, perhaps he now has changed his policies...

:D




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest