Cornell Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
danielfgator

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Postby danielfgator » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:05 pm

panda wrote:yeah..i don't think im going to either..

Jessy1024

Postby Jessy1024 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:59 pm

I thought this part of the tuition refund plan was pretty amusing:

Not Covered Under Plan: War, terrorism, Nuclear reaction, nuclear radiation or radio active contamination, withdrawal due to the use of any drug. (just to name a few)

sheltron5000

Postby sheltron5000 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:41 pm

Jessy1024 wrote:I thought this part of the tuition refund plan was pretty amusing:

Not Covered Under Plan: War, terrorism, Nuclear reaction, nuclear radiation or radio active contamination, withdrawal due to the use of any drug. (just to name a few)

do they have an "act of god" clause? lol ;)

Jessy1024

Postby Jessy1024 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:41 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:
Jessy1024 wrote:I thought this part of the tuition refund plan was pretty amusing:

do they have an "act of god" clause? lol ;)

No, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the fine print!

sheltron5000

Postby sheltron5000 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:36 am

note to everyone pricing out books, the civ pro book is titled wrong on the book list, search by isbn instead and you'll find Civil Procedure- Materials for a Basic Course (University Casebook) is the 9th ed.

Also, these are the books it looks like everyone will need (they are on all the various sections book lists).

Field, Kaplan, and Clermon'ts Civil Procedure Field 9TH 978-1-59941-145-3 West Group Required
Federal Rules of Civil Procedure Foundation 2009 978-1-59941-654-0 West Group Required

Contract & Related Obligation (Casebook) Summers 5 978-0-31415-983-0 West Required

The Bluebook: A Uniform System of Citation Harvard Law Review, et al. 18th 978-9-30106-547-5 Harvard L. Rev. Association Required
Basic Legal Research Sloan 4th ed. 978-0-73557-672-8 Aspen Publishers Required

ETA: so far amazon has the best prices on the casebooks, and http://www.lawbooksforless.com has the best prices for the others (amazon has a better price on sloan, but only by two dollars and they're sold out indefinitely).

panda

Postby panda » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:58 pm

wow..thats awesome shel..thanks!
are you going to start buying now? im kinda nervous about jumping the gun...but if others are too..ill jump right in!

drewtltl

Postby drewtltl » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:19 pm

I've been looking at textbooks.com/amazon/and half.com for the books that I saw every professor using (ones on sheltron's post), there was only about 3 or 4. Other than those we'll have to wait till we get our schedules. I'll probably leave them in their UPS boxes until the last possible moment before I have to start learning again. But you'd probably be able to find decent prices on used/like new right now, which is the main reason I started looking.

sheltron5000

Postby sheltron5000 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:47 pm

panda wrote:wow..thats awesome shel..thanks!
are you going to start buying now? im kinda nervous about jumping the gun...but if others are too..ill jump right in!

I'm'nna wait until after I move (I so want to drag 20lbs of books in my already overloaded suitcases ;) ), so I'll be buying all the casebooks and obviously required books (bluebook, etc.) yeah. By then, though, we'll have class schedules and I'll be able to buy all of them. I denfinitely want to buy early so I can hopefully get some used copies without marking/highlighting.

spanktheduck

Postby spanktheduck » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:16 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:

I'm'nna wait until after I move (I so want to drag 20lbs of books in my already overloaded suitcases ;) ), so I'll be buying all the casebooks and obviously required books (bluebook, etc.) yeah. By then, though, we'll have class schedules and I'll be able to buy all of them. I denfinitely want to buy early so I can hopefully get some used copies without marking/highlighting.

LOL at 20lbs, try 50lbs

sheltron5000

Postby sheltron5000 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:07 am

that's my baggage allowance :(

panda

Postby panda » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:40 am

spanktheduck wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:

LOL at 20lbs, try 50lbs

im a small, 5'1 person.. how am i going to carry all that up hill?! :shock: :shock: :shock:
and i was worried about all the studying.. hah!

xdistak

Postby xdistak » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:26 am

I guess I'll throw this up here: I'm willing to sell a full set of the casebooks/hornbooks necessary for 1L to an incoming Cornellian. They range from semi-highlighted to heavily highlighted for one book (Crim), but all are in very good condition. I bought them all used from the amazon marketplace and will pass along the savings... best of all, no delivery fee. The books are in Ithaca waiting for you.

Leave a message if interested.

markakis

Postby markakis » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:31 am

panda wrote:
spanktheduck wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:

LOL at 20lbs, try 50lbs

im a small, 5'1 person.. how am i going to carry all that up hill?! :shock: :shock: :shock:
and i was worried about all the studying.. hah!

I hear there is a kinkos up there that can chop them up for you

fsohn

Postby fsohn » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:26 am

sheltron5000 wrote:

Good highlighting/notes can be a very good thing. Don't ignore a book just for that.

Also, if anyone is looking for supplements, I really would suggest waiting until the supplement fair held by the CLSA.

markakis

Postby markakis » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:46 am

fsohn wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:

Good highlighting/notes can be a very good thing. Don't ignore a book just for that.

Also, if anyone is looking for supplements, I really would suggest waiting until the supplement fair held by the CLSA.

Isn't that like in October or something? Is that not too late for getting them?

fsohn

Postby fsohn » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:06 pm

markakis wrote:
fsohn wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:

Isn't that like in October or something? Is that not too late for getting them?

It is whenever CLSA gets its act together. And it is not too late for getting supplements. I found that most of mine sat around until finals time (my Property Gilberts is basically untouched). My suggestion is to at least to attempt to outline as you go along, or at the very least, to review week by week. I did this second semester and was much less stressed when finals came around, and did a lot better.

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:01 pm

Sign me up for the Cornell Class of 2012.

I'll have to go through this thread to see what I missed while on the WL, i'm sure I've got a TON of catching up to do!

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:49 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:Sign me up for the Cornell Class of 2012.

I'll have to go through this thread to see what I missed while on the WL, i'm sure I've got a TON of catching up to do!

Congrats, and welcome! I will add you to the list!

microoli

Postby microoli » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:10 pm

Class of 2012 signing in here! Can't wait!

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:30 am

Um, did anyone who filled out all the promissary notes and all that for loans get some kind of confirmation from Cornell?

Also, our first bills have to be paid by 8/11. Does anyone know what we do if we're still waiting for grad plus money?

Also, the grad plus loans are done through Cornell, right? So if we did everything listed in that e-mail Karla sent, should we be okay?

Sorry guys, this is the kind of thing I'm really awful at. I find it all terribly confusing. Maybe I should shoot Karla an e-mail.

scorez

Postby scorez » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:39 am

I did not get any confirmation. But if you go into the cornell student center and sign-in, you can see what loans you have pending. The loans I did entrance counseling (and only those) came up as pending loans in my financial aid section, so I took that as confirmation that they received my MPN and entrance counseling confirmation. (studentcenter.cornell.edu)

panda

Postby panda » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:46 am

Other25BeforeYou wrote:Um, did anyone who filled out all the promissary notes and all that for loans get some kind of confirmation from Cornell?

Also, our first bills have to be paid by 8/11. Does anyone know what we do if we're still waiting for grad plus money?

Also, the grad plus loans are done through Cornell, right? So if we did everything listed in that e-mail Karla sent, should we be okay?

Sorry guys, this is the kind of thing I'm really awful at. I find it all terribly confusing. Maybe I should shoot Karla an e-mail.

lll go in order... :wink:

Filled out all the notes etc... and didn't really get a confirmation.. but you know that they received them by going to http://studentcenter.cornell.edu
sign in..and in the corner you will see if there are any outstanding forms you have to fill out..etc..

When I sent in my application for Grad Plus..i got a letter in the mail, from the government, not Cornell, saying it was approved and that the approval was being sent to Cornell so that they could disburse it.. you should receive something along those lines as well, I would assume..

If your Grad Plus loans don't show up on your Bursar Bill.. i wouldn't worry too much about it.. mine haven't either fwiw.. i would say wait it out until the due date gets a bit closer.. or at least until the beginning of August..

The grad plus loans are through Cornell, and if you did everything in the e-mail..you'll be set! When I called the financial aid office, they also said that they would contact us if there were any problems with our paperwork or if anything was missing.. all that info should be available at the site above though..

That being said, it might not be necessary to send Karla an email.. if you really think you need to though..i would recommend calling...they are much more efficient via telephone.. :D

hth!! :mrgreen:

edit: pffffft..im always one post too late.. :x

scorez

Postby scorez » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:55 am

Come to think of it, I also have a financial aid related question...

On my student center page. It lists the full amount of stafford loans as pending loans. Problem is, I only want to take a portion of the offered stafford loans. Does that pending status mean that I am taking all of what they are offering me? Is there way to take only a portion of the offered loan, or is this something that Karla does with students as we get closer to the school year? Thanks.

Also, I have yet to receive the hard copies of those cases for orientation. Anyone else have the some problem? Thanks.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:56 am

Okay, thank you both of you!

It says my grad plus loan promissary note needs to be done, but I could swear I did that two weeks ago. I will check my file later and see whether or not I did . . .

Thanks again!

ddp

Postby ddp » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:58 am

Anyone doing the orientation on the 17th know in what form the stipend will come and when we should expect it?

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”