Cornell Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
mbw

Bronze

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Post by mbw » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:14 pm

panda wrote:
mbw wrote:
You know you're always welcome for dinner at our house. :) (Despite being in that C section...)
woohoo! so being in Section D means unlimited invites?!

so D stands for Dinner after all!!! :P
Yup. I use cooking as a destressing mechanism, so I'm pretty sure I'll be cooking up a storm in the coming months.

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:30 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:OK, so this whole "I'm moving away from all my old friends" just got a little too real, so I need some shiny new friends. I'm moving in this saturday, who all will be around and interested in a get together?

Chapter House, Saturday Aug. 8th at 7PM?
studymaster wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:
I like the idea of meeting up at The Chapter House for drinks, but unfortunately I'm busy that night :cry: .
Sunday? reccomend a day and we can all vote. I just want to meet some people before too long.
I can probably do Sunday, but I can't commit with certainty to anything right now. I have to go out of town for a few days next week, but I'm not sure yet which days it will be.

Saturday probably makes more sense for people as a whole though. I can always catch the next one.
Yeah, i have a sneaking suspicion we will be known by most bartenders in town.
Yeah, it really seems that an interest in law strongly correlate with alcohol abuse... :\

whatever, let's plan on saturday then?
mbw wrote:
panda wrote:
mbw wrote:
You know you're always welcome for dinner at our house. :) (Despite being in that C section...)
woohoo! so being in Section D means unlimited invites?!

so D stands for Dinner after all!!! :P
Yup. I use cooking as a destressing mechanism, so I'm pretty sure I'll be cooking up a storm in the coming months.
Oh, you'll have plenty of opportunities to feed me ;)

studymaster

New

Post by studymaster » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:05 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... tists.html

We arent alcoholics, we're just very smart!

Saturday sounds great Sheltron

studymaster

New

Post by studymaster » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:17 pm

Sheltron, can I ask who your alter-ego is. Because I keep confusing you and moose

maap85

New

Post by maap85 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:23 pm

For those of you thinking of buying a new computer, the Cornell store sells Macs at a discount. I've heard that they do not charge sales tax (and I know that they do not charge sales tax on books) and that the time capsule (which I LOVE) is $40 cheaper there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

missv463

New

Post by missv463 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:25 pm

i'm not sure if i appreciate all the section C hate :roll: lol ... i actually don't mind the schedule. i'm digging the 11am finish on Monday.

ZaphodBeeblebrox

New

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:31 pm

maap85 wrote:For those of you thinking of buying a new computer, the Cornell store sells Macs at a discount. I've heard that they do not charge sales tax (and I know that they do not charge sales tax on books) and that the time capsule (which I LOVE) is $40 cheaper there.
Do they have our books at the Cornell store too? If so, do you know what the price difference is between buying them there and online?

ZaphodBeeblebrox

New

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:33 pm

missv463 wrote:i'm not sure if i appreciate all the section C hate :roll: lol ... i actually don't mind the schedule. i'm digging the 11am finish on Monday.
There's no hate - it's still the best section 8)

The Monday part is nice. So is the consistent start times every day.

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:10 pm

why do Mollenkamp and Clermont require so many books?!?! WHY!?!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

missv463

New

Post by missv463 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:17 pm

ok two questions:

1. Why aren't we doing Property in the Fall? I'm sure there was an explanation, but I can't remember what it was.
2. Now that we have our schedules, are you guys buying books now (as in this wk), or are you waiting until you move to Ithaca?

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:26 pm

missv463 wrote:
1. Why aren't we doing Property in the Fall? I'm sure there was an explanation, but I can't remember what it was.
Most places do torts in the fall. Last year we didn't, but I think it's best to have property in the spring and torts in the fall. Property is more complex, anyway.

Cornell's class of 2010 had property and torts in the fall, 2011 had constitutional law and property, 2012 has constitutional law and torts. I'm not sure why all the change, but I think having conlaw and torts in the fall is a good arrangement.

I know that didn't answer your question, but I like to talk/type.

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:28 pm

woeisme wrote:, but I like to talk/type.
doesn't everyone on TLS? :P

so, you would know this..
how reliable is it to buy books from all these used sellers online? should we worry about getting crappy copies? if we did, would that really make a difference? (im a bit neurotic, if that explains anything..)

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:30 pm

missv463 wrote: 2. Now that we have our schedules, are you guys buying books now (as in this wk), or are you waiting until you move to Ithaca?
personally, im doing the research now, and going to buy as soon as i secure a place to send them.. (im not moving to ithaca for 2 weeks.. ) thanks to a fellow TLSer..i might have solved the shipping problem..

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:36 pm

panda wrote:
woeisme wrote:, but I like to talk/type.
doesn't everyone on TLS? :P

so, you would know this..
how reliable is it to buy books from all these used sellers online? should we worry about getting crappy copies? if we did, would that really make a difference? (im a bit neurotic, if that explains anything..)
I mean I'm pretty neurotic too. I didn't buy anything used online. I like to see what I'm getting if it's used. So I'm probably a horrible person to ask. I don't think many people have problems though. If you wouldn't have had a problem buying used books in the past, I don't see why you'd have a problem doing it now. Also, I'd imagine that websites that sell used books don't sell books that are really crappy (do they? i have no idea).

People will also likely be selling their old books once you get to Cornell/once the year starts.

como

Silver

Post by como » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:41 pm

Shel, I'm down pretty much every day except Sunday or Monday. Also, I might have to crash on your couch/floor, 'cause I'll be driving.

missv463

New

Post by missv463 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:50 pm

woeisme wrote:
missv463 wrote:
Most places do torts in the fall. Last year we didn't, but I think it's best to have property in the spring and torts in the fall. Property is more complex, anyway.

Cornell's class of 2010 had property and torts in the fall, 2011 had constitutional law and property, 2012 has constitutional law and torts. I'm not sure why all the change, but I think having conlaw and torts in the fall is a good arrangement.

I know that didn't answer your question, but I like to talk/type.
thanks, that makes sense :lol:

maap85

New

Post by maap85 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:02 pm

ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote:
maap85 wrote:For those of you thinking of buying a new computer, the Cornell store sells Macs at a discount. I've heard that they do not charge sales tax (and I know that they do not charge sales tax on books) and that the time capsule (which I LOVE) is $40 cheaper there.
Do they have our books at the Cornell store too? If so, do you know what the price difference is between buying them there and online?
Yes, they sell the books at the Cornell store. Last year they were the same price as Amazon (not the sellers). The bookstore sells a few used books, but they weren't THAT much cheaper then buying new. I bought all my books new, although I should have gotten my Lawyering books used. I just didn't know any better.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ZaphodBeeblebrox

New

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:12 pm

maap85 wrote:
ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote:
Yes, they sell the books at the Cornell store. Last year they were the same price as Amazon (not the sellers). The bookstore sells a few used books, but they weren't THAT much cheaper then buying new. I bought all my books new, although I should have gotten my Lawyering books used. I just didn't know any better.
Thanks! That makes my decision for me since I have to fly in to Ithaca and airlines charge now if your suitcase is overweight (omg wtf bbq to that).

sheltron5000

Bronze

catchall after a busy day away from the comp.

Post by sheltron5000 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:28 am

studymaster wrote:Sheltron, can I ask who your alter-ego is. Because I keep confusing you and moose
Not really sure what you mean by alter-ego, this is my only ego so far as I know, I'll PM you my meatspace name if that helps.
ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote:
missv463 wrote:i'm not sure if i appreciate all the section C hate :roll: lol ... i actually don't mind the schedule. i'm digging the 11am finish on Monday.

And I think we have the shortest book list ;)
como wrote:Shel, I'm down pretty much every day except Sunday or Monday. Also, I might have to crash on your couch/floor, 'cause I'll be driving.
You might even get to sleep on a bed. Spike won't be there until sunday or monday.
maap85 wrote: Yes, they sell the books at the Cornell store. Last year they were the same price as Amazon (not the sellers). The bookstore sells a few used books, but they weren't THAT much cheaper then buying new. I bought all my books new, although I should have gotten my Lawyering books used. I just didn't know any better.
Is it a good Idea to spend money on good copies of the style book/blue book? or are they really things you only need once or twice?

abecedarian

New

Post by abecedarian » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:36 am

Last edited by abecedarian on Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ben1185

New

Post by ben1185 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:39 pm

Well, just finished driving 3200 miles cross country. I'm relaxing at my parents place for a week, but I'm thinking that I'll be in Ithaca around the 16th. Can't wait to meet you guys...

Oh, and you can chalk up one more for Section D :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

missxo

New

Post by missxo » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:45 pm

I'm in Section D, too! Add me to the list!

I'm sad that I won't be in Ithaca until the weekend before official orientation. I feel like I'm missing out on the bonding and fun :(

maap85

New

Re: catchall after a busy day away from the comp.

Post by maap85 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:35 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:
studymaster wrote:Sheltron, can I ask who your alter-ego is. Because I keep confusing you and moose
Not really sure what you mean by alter-ego, this is my only ego so far as I know, I'll PM you my meatspace name if that helps.
ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote:

como wrote:Shel, I'm down pretty much every day except Sunday or Monday. Also, I might have to crash on your couch/floor, 'cause I'll be driving.
You might even get to sleep on a bed. Spike won't be there until sunday or monday.
maap85 wrote: Yes, they sell the books at the Cornell store. Last year they were the same price as Amazon (not the sellers). The bookstore sells a few used books, but they weren't THAT much cheaper then buying new. I bought all my books new, although I should have gotten my Lawyering books used. I just didn't know any better.
Is it a good Idea to spend money on good copies of the style book/blue book? or are they really things you only need once or twice?
Get a good copy, you'll need it if you do a journal. But buy crappy copies of the other lawyering books. I'll sell you mine, which are basically new.

sheltron5000

Bronze

Re: catchall after a busy day away from the comp.

Post by sheltron5000 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:37 pm

maap85 wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:
ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote:

Get a good copy, you'll need it if you do a journal. But buy crappy copies of the other lawyering books. I'll sell you mine, which are basically new.
dibs! and thanks for the tip ;)

neskerdoo

Silver

Post by neskerdoo » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:48 pm

panda wrote:why do Mollenkamp and Clermont require so many books?!?! WHY!?!

look at the authors of the books Clermont requires...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”