Yale Law School Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
House

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby House » Mon May 04, 2009 3:49 pm

I'm looking for roommates. I also did not go to ASW.

heyguys

Postby heyguys » Mon May 04, 2009 4:05 pm

God, not to be too obsequious or sycophantic, but Rabbit is so awesome. Rabbit, it's great that you have been so helpful in this thread.

Ben Matlock

Postby Ben Matlock » Mon May 04, 2009 4:54 pm

franfair wrote:Does anyone know anything about the apartments at 900 Chapel (Residence Court and Residence on the Green - commonly referred to as the "Ghetto Mall")? We looked at these apartments when we visited and they seemed perfect for us (size, location, accept dogs, etc), but I have since heard some horror stories about the management. Unfortunately, everyone I've heard from and all of the horror stories on those apartment review websites are from more than a year ago, so I would really like to know if the problems are still going on to the same extent. Thanks to anyone with info!

I currently live in 900 Chapel. It really is a great place for law students.
The owner switched to a new management company, and they've been very responsive. My roommate and I have had several minor things fixed within a day or two. (Fluorescent lightbulbs, toilet chains, things like that).

The energy bill has been a bit unpredictable, but not horrible (usually).

Our heat broke during the winter, but we were quickly provided with a space heater (I did have to buy another one, since we wanted both our rooms heated).

Also, the noise isn't really a problem. The biggest drawback to living in the courtyard is the dearth of natural light at most times during the day. You can get a highrise apartment for a few hundred dollars more per month with ample sunlight, and possibly a view of the green.

PM me if you're going to apply, since I get a bonus for referring you and will gladly split it.

zabagabe

Postby zabagabe » Mon May 04, 2009 5:30 pm

heyguys wrote:God, not to be too obsequious or sycophantic, but Rabbit is so awesome. Rabbit, it's great that you have been so helpful in this thread.

+1

She should seriously get a discount on her tuition - her in person assistance is even better, if that's possible! :)

rabbit9198

Postby rabbit9198 » Mon May 04, 2009 5:55 pm

I stand corrected on the CHESLA point...it turns out you can defer interest with them, too! (I had kind of wondered why you wouldn't be able to, so it seems I didn't read far enough into their web site....lesson to future law students: always read ALL of the small print!)

"Graduate and professional students may defer interest while in school and for a 6-month grace period (interest is capitalized annually)."

Sorry for the mis-information, if only for a short period of time! And thanks to those who corrected me. :)

FranFang

Postby FranFang » Mon May 04, 2009 8:23 pm

rabbit9198 wrote:I stand corrected on the CHESLA point...it turns out you can defer interest with them, too! (I had kind of wondered why you wouldn't be able to, so it seems I didn't read far enough into their web site....lesson to future law students: always read ALL of the small print!)

"Graduate and professional students may defer interest while in school and for a 6-month grace period (interest is capitalized annually)."

Sorry for the mis-information, if only for a short period of time! And thanks to those who corrected me. :)

Thanks Rabbit!

Can anyone share the private/federal loan route they took? Being completely financially illiterate I'd appreciate other people's input!

BTW, is it true that whatever you make over 6,000 during the summer you have to put towards tuition? If you don't get that big of a Yale grant, what then? Would whatever you make be subtracted from the grants you'd be able to receive from COAP if you took the PI route?

heyguys

Postby heyguys » Mon May 04, 2009 8:43 pm

FranFang wrote:
Thanks Rabbit!

Can anyone share the private/federal loan route they took? Being completely financially illiterate I'd appreciate other people's input!

BTW, is it true that whatever you make over 6,000 during the summer you have to put towards tuition? If you don't get that big of a Yale grant, what then? Would whatever you make be subtracted from the grants you'd be able to receive from COAP if you took the PI route?

I just borrowed for the entire COA sans scholarships vis Stafford and PLUS through AccessGroup.

regarding your BTW point, this is what I have come to understand as well. If Rabbit or Ben Matlock could speak to this, that might be helpful. At this point, I assume that I'm facing the ultimatum of 'work biglaw 1L summer and lose your scholly+6k grants' versus 'work public interest, keep your schollys and 6k, but lose out on 3077/wk.'

Is that pretty much the big and small of it?

franfair

Postby franfair » Mon May 04, 2009 8:55 pm

Last edited by franfair on Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bgc

Postby bgc » Mon May 04, 2009 9:07 pm

franfair wrote:I went with Sallie Mae for the Staffords and Discover Private Loans instead of GradPLUS. At least, that is what I put on the forms, and I filled out the application for the Discover part online. I hope I did everything right.

Did you get a quote back from discover about what your rate would be? I'm interested in that option but want to know what rate I would face.

franfair

Postby franfair » Mon May 04, 2009 10:00 pm

Last edited by franfair on Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SparkyLives

Postby SparkyLives » Tue May 05, 2009 1:56 pm

Okay....I'm missing photos apparently.

How did you guys do this?

franfair

Postby franfair » Tue May 05, 2009 2:02 pm

Last edited by franfair on Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

constellationx

Postby constellationx » Tue May 05, 2009 2:22 pm

Yep, you can e-mail it. You have to send a 300dpi photo of your head/shoulders w/ the file name lastname.firstname.jpg, I think.

bgc

Postby bgc » Tue May 05, 2009 3:03 pm

constellationx wrote:Yep, you can e-mail it. You have to send a 300dpi photo of your head/shoulders w/ the file name lastname.firstname.jpg, I think.

How large should the photo be? It is strange to specify a resolution but not a size.

franfair

Postby franfair » Tue May 05, 2009 3:11 pm

Last edited by franfair on Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

SparkyLives

Postby SparkyLives » Tue May 05, 2009 5:23 pm

so this is just something I can take with my digital camera? Should I throw a tie on or something? lol...Anybody know what these are used for?

shuchong

Postby shuchong » Tue May 05, 2009 5:53 pm

For the YLS facebook, which apparently is used by classmates and (gasp!) employers, so the picture should probably be at least semi-nice. Not suit and tie nice, but, you know, normal and without someone giving you bunny ears :D

excitedutterance

Postby excitedutterance » Tue May 05, 2009 5:59 pm

The specs for the photo were on form C, which I photocopied, knowing I wouldn't be getting my photo taken on time. here they are:

* Photo to be of head and shoulders taken at camera's highest resolution setting (at least 300dpi).
* emailed as .jpeg to ylsphoto@gmail.com--do not allow your email service/client to compress the file
*name the file lastname.firstname.jpg
* if you scan an existing photo, scan at 300dpi anad crop to include only head and shoulders
* no pictures pulled from webpages, cellphone images, imaged embedded in a document (like Word format), or images with others in the shot.

And the photo is for the Facebook, which is, as I understand it, the first your professors and many of your future friends might be seeing of you. So... look presentable. Haha.

littleboyblue

Postby littleboyblue » Wed May 06, 2009 8:49 am

to the current 1Ls - I have a question about laptops. If you have a macbook, for exams do you have to have bootcamp? thinking about getting a mac but bootcamp just seems too complicated to me. thanks.

heyguys

Postby heyguys » Wed May 06, 2009 9:31 am

littleboyblue wrote:to the current 1Ls - I have a question about laptops. If you have a macbook, for exams do you have to have bootcamp? thinking about getting a mac but bootcamp just seems too complicated to me. thanks.

I'm also interested to hear the answer to this. My Macbook is a couple of years old, and I was really hoping it would make it through at least a year of law school. What is bootcamp?

littleboyblue

Postby littleboyblue » Wed May 06, 2009 10:57 am

heyguys wrote:
littleboyblue wrote:to the current 1Ls - I have a question about laptops. If you have a macbook, for exams do you have to have bootcamp? thinking about getting a mac but bootcamp just seems too complicated to me. thanks.

I'm also interested to hear the answer to this. My Macbook is a couple of years old, and I was really hoping it would make it through at least a year of law school. What is bootcamp?

bootcamp allows you to run microsoft windows operating system (i think)

rabbit9198

Postby rabbit9198 » Wed May 06, 2009 4:31 pm

Nope, you don't need BootCamp. Since Yale doesn't require you to lock down your computer when you take exams (the school asks you to behave ethically, and you just upload a DOC file with your answers using the internet), there's no need to boot in Windows. I have a MacBook that I bought from the Apple store, and I haven't needed to make any changes to its out-of-the-box form.

shuchong

Postby shuchong » Wed May 06, 2009 4:44 pm

rabbit9198 wrote:Since Yale doesn't require you to lock down your computer when you take exams (the school asks you to behave ethically, and you just upload a DOC file with your answers using the internet), there's no need to boot in Windows. I have a MacBook that I bought from the Apple store, and I haven't needed to make any changes to its out-of-the-box form.

Wait, does this mean that I could conceivably use my ancient Thinkpad that runs Windows 2000? (I'm really attached to it, and I don't want to give it up until Windows 7 comes out. :) )

rabbit9198

Postby rabbit9198 » Wed May 06, 2009 5:04 pm

shuchong wrote:
rabbit9198 wrote:Since Yale doesn't require you to lock down your computer when you take exams (the school asks you to behave ethically, and you just upload a DOC file with your answers using the internet), there's no need to boot in Windows. I have a MacBook that I bought from the Apple store, and I haven't needed to make any changes to its out-of-the-box form.

Wait, does this mean that I could conceivably use my ancient Thinkpad that runs Windows 2000? (I'm really attached to it, and I don't want to give it up until Windows 7 comes out. :) )

I *assume* so...though I'm not entirely sure. You'd need to be able to access the YLS network and the site that stores/tracks exams while they're in progress (they keep track of when you download the questions, and let you know how much time you have remaining). I have no idea what the tech specs might look like beyond that (I assume, if anything, they'd relate more to your browser than your operating system), but there are an awful lot of people using reeeeeally old MacBooks, so I wouldn't count out your Thinkpad just yet!

They'll send you some info over the summer about what the (suggested) minimum tech specs are; if you have any questions, they'll give you someone to contact in case you're worried that what you have won't work.

littleboyblue

Postby littleboyblue » Wed May 06, 2009 6:02 pm

rabbit9198 wrote:

Nope, you don't need BootCamp. Since Yale doesn't require you to lock down your computer when you take exams (the school asks you to behave ethically, and you just upload a DOC file with your answers using the internet), there's no need to boot in Windows. I have a MacBook that I bought from the Apple store, and I haven't needed to make any changes to its out-of-the-box form.

Thank you!!!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”