Yale Law School Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
homestyle
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:16 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby homestyle » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:45 pm

sandpiper wrote:
rabbit9198 wrote:
Yup, heyguys, you can take out loans to cover your Estimated Contribution. I did it last year, and it worked just fine.

"Estimated Alternative Loan" can be GradPLUS...or you could do a private loan (but probably not the easiest to get/best option in this economic climate?).


ditto what rabbit said but with the caveat that private loans are sometimes better for some people - so be sure to explore all the different options (fixed rates, floating rates, repayment plans, etc...). yeah the economy isn't hot, but interest rates are at all time low and i can't think of a safer loan than for yls :)

Wait...so can I use GradPLUS to cover my "From parental resources" contribution in addition to the "Estimated Alternative Loan" amount?

sandpiper
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:35 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby sandpiper » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:01 pm

littleboyblue wrote:Is Prof Gerken going to cold call us at the mock class? Just trying to decide how much time I should spend reading the case they sent us.


So Gerken cold calls in her Law of Democracy (aka Election Law) class and I assume she'll be giving a lecture from that. But I seriously doubt that she'd cold call admits. Whenever there's an admit in that class she usually does her best to convince them to come here. That being said, if she does and you make an ass of yourself, it's no big deal. It happens to everyone every once in a while. Out of curiosity, what case did she have y'all read?

homestyle wrote:Wait...so can I use GradPLUS to cover my "From parental resources" contribution in addition to the "Estimated Alternative Loan" amount?


Exactly. Correct me if I'm wrong Rabbit, but YLS'll let you take out loans up to the estimated student budget (and even that amount can be increased once for a laptop purchase and another time to buy interview clothes). So if your parents don't want to pay, aren't wiling to pay, can't pay the "estimated parental contribution" you can take out loans to cover that portion of your tuition.

Look foward to meeting some of y'all tomorrow!
sandpiper

littleboyblue
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:12 am

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby littleboyblue » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:23 pm

Parts of Lucas v. 44th General Assembly of Colorado

User avatar
bgc
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 6:14 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby bgc » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:38 pm

sandpiper wrote:Exactly. Correct me if I'm wrong Rabbit, but YLS'll let you take out loans up to the estimated student budget (and even that amount can be increased once for a laptop purchase and another time to buy interview clothes). So if your parents don't want to pay, aren't wiling to pay, can't pay the "estimated parental contribution" you can take out loans to cover that portion of your tuition.


I don't think loans to cover the parental contribution would be covered by COAP. It only covers need based loans.

shuchong
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:01 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby shuchong » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:50 pm

bgc wrote:I don't think loans to cover the parental contribution would be covered by COAP. It only covers need based loans.

I think they are covered, actually.

From the Yale COAP description (http://www.law.yale.edu/documents/pdf/Financial_Aid/2009_COAP_Description_2010_and_later.pdf):

"All need-based loans for Yale Law School that have been processed through the YLS Financial Aid Office, including loans to replace the expected parental contribution portion of the budget for Yale Law School, will be included in calculating a graduate's annual repayment obligation."

*edited because I'm incapable of putting in a URL correctly
Last edited by shuchong on Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rabbit9198
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:29 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby rabbit9198 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:11 pm

Looking forward to meeting most of you tonight/tomorrow/Friday! (To those of you who've asked via PM - No, I will not be wearing rabbit ears to identify myself to you...) :)

User avatar
zabagabe
Posts: 340
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:48 am

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby zabagabe » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:35 pm

littleboyblue wrote:Parts of Lucas v. 44th General Assembly of Colorado


Right..... I should probably get on that at some point. Thanks for the reminder! ;)

User avatar
Ranita
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:43 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby Ranita » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:08 pm

Hey, if any of you are in town already, some of us from the Facebook group are going to get together and grab drinks or something. PM me for details.

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby OperaAttorney » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:21 pm

bgc wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:The Bach B-minor mass? I'm jealous. "Benedictus qui venit in nomine Domini" is gorgeous. I'm going to listen to it right now.


What's your preferred recording, OA?


I love the Phillippe Herreweghe recording on the Harmonia Mundi label with soloists Johanette Zomer, Veronique Gens, Andreas School, Christoph Pregardien, and Peter Kooy. Although the soloists are generally fine, Gens, Scholl, and Pregardien shine in their individual numbers. I think Herreweghe gets to the heart of this work: under his direction both the singers and the instrumentalists move beyond the notes. It's not just a Baroque mass, it's an experience.

The highly touted John Eliot Gardiner recording has incredible orchestral playing. But most of the soloists leave me lukewarm--not much star quality, unfortunately. I also have a soft spot for the Harry Christophers recording, which features tenor John Mark Ainsley, who, in my opinion, sings Baroque music better than almost any other tenor alive.

What's your preferred recording?

User avatar
iagolives
Posts: 687
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby iagolives » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:22 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
bgc wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:The Bach B-minor mass? I'm jealous. "Benedictus qui venit in nomine Domini" is gorgeous. I'm going to listen to it right now.


What's your preferred recording, OA?


I love the Phillippe Herreweghe recording on the Harmonia Mundi label with soloists Johanette Zomer, Veronique Gens, Andreas School, Christoph Pregardien, and Peter Kooy. Although the soloists are generally fine, Gens, Scholl, and Pregardien shine in their individual numbers. I think Herreweghe gets to the heart of this work: under his direction both the singers and the instrumentalists move beyond the notes. It's not just a Baroque mass, it's an experience.

The highly touted John Eliot Gardiner recording has incredible orchestral playing. But most of the soloists leave me lukewarm--not much star quality, unfortunately. I also have a soft spot for the Harry Christophers recording, which features tenor John Mark Ainsley, who, in my opinion, sings Baroque music better than almost any other tenor alive.

What's your preferred recording?


Bach < Mozart

End of story. :)

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby OperaAttorney » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:54 pm

iagolives wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:
bgc wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:The Bach B-minor mass? I'm jealous. "Benedictus qui venit in nomine Domini" is gorgeous. I'm going to listen to it right now.


What's your preferred recording, OA?


I love the Phillippe Herreweghe recording on the Harmonia Mundi label with soloists Johanette Zomer, Veronique Gens, Andreas School, Christoph Pregardien, and Peter Kooy. Although the soloists are generally fine, Gens, Scholl, and Pregardien shine in their individual numbers. I think Herreweghe gets to the heart of this work: under his direction both the singers and the instrumentalists move beyond the notes. It's not just a Baroque mass, it's an experience.

The highly touted John Eliot Gardiner recording has incredible orchestral playing. But most of the soloists leave me lukewarm--not much star quality, unfortunately. I also have a soft spot for the Harry Christophers recording, which features tenor John Mark Ainsley, who, in my opinion, sings Baroque music better than almost any other tenor alive.

What's your preferred recording?


Bach < Mozart

End of story. :)


:lol: I, too, prefer Mozart to Bach, IAG, but one must recognize Mozart's indebtedness to both Bach and Handel. (Mozart worshipped Handel, by the way.) Plus, Bach wrote some amazing vocal works. "Wachet auf uns ruft die Stimme" and "Jauchzet Gott in allen Landen" are 2 of the most incredible cantatas ever written. The Well-Tempered Clavier and the Brandenburg Concerti are also masterpieces.

Give Bach his props! :lol:

KP429
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby KP429 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:45 pm

I haven't met Rabbit yet while here. What gives?

User avatar
tinman
Posts: 223
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby tinman » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:59 am

KP429 wrote:I haven't met Rabbit yet while here. What gives?


KP, why did you leave the bar so early? I told you Thai is the way to go. We probably met rabbit without knowing it. Let me know if you are able to put the avatar to the face.

User avatar
bgc
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 6:14 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby bgc » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:36 am

Bach >>> everyone.
Last edited by bgc on Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

littleboyblue
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:12 am

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby littleboyblue » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:08 am

so - has the ASW changed your mind about YLS one way or the other?
any memorable moments? i couldn't make it up there.
Last edited by littleboyblue on Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby OperaAttorney » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:13 am

bgc wrote:Bach >>> everyone.


That's because you're a string player.

HANDEL >>> everyone. HAL-LE-LU-JAH!! :)

J.S. Bach is attributed with the following remark:

"[Handel] is the only person I would wish to see before I die, and the only person I would wish to be, were I not Bach."

Upon hearing the above statement, W.A. Mozart is said to have exclaimed:

"Truly, I would say the same myself if I were permitted to put in a word"

When asked to name the greatest composer ever, Beethoven is said to have responded,

"Handel, to him I bow the knee."

franfair
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:28 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby franfair » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:57 pm

.
Last edited by franfair on Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bgc
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 6:14 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby bgc » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:59 am

OperaAttorney wrote:That's because you're a string player.

I can't argue; I am terribly myopic in that regard. Handel's orchestral music is numbing.

I heard the b minor mass was beautiful. I'm excited to be around the institute for sacred music for three years.

comeback
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:33 am

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby comeback » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:28 pm

Having fun?? I couldn't make it either... Could some of you post some of your experiences at ASW so those of us that are abroad can vicariously get excited about YLS all over again?

User avatar
iagolives
Posts: 687
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby iagolives » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:30 pm

bgc wrote:Bach >>> everyone.


It's on bgc..... *hits fist into palm*

(PS: glad everyone's having fun out there in New Haven!)

arrrrrr!
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:57 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby arrrrrr! » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:48 pm

ASW was awesome. Before going I was undecided. By the time I left, there was no question. I'm so excited for the Fall.

HAZMAT
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:01 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby HAZMAT » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:48 pm

^ Any specifics as to the awesomeness of it :?: :?: :?:

arrrrrr!
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:57 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby arrrrrr! » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:37 pm

admitted and current students seemed great (and it really is true--they didn't seemed very stressed at all), i loved the mock class, i loved the building, the post-grad fellowships are unlike anything any other school has to offer. there wasn't anything i didn't like.

btw, is anyone considering that new dual degree with SOM? or have ppl already touched on that?

Hoopster
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:51 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby Hoopster » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:24 pm

arrrrrr! wrote:ASW was awesome. Before going I was undecided. By the time I left, there was no question. I'm so excited for the Fall.


Agreed. It was everything I expected and much more. There's no comparison, period. I wasn't sure about interacting with other admits older and far more accomplished than me who's still an UG. But they were so cool and friendly I immediately felt comfortable hanging out with them. I got the impression everyone was stress-free and happy to be there, something I didn't sense at HLS or SLS. The professors were awesome and super-friendly. The mock class was so fun. Happy hour was a blast. The food was great. Toad's looks like a fun place to chill after school. Sterling is just an awesome building with its Gothics look and all that history. It's got that great small college atmosphere. I thought HLS was less intimate and not as charming.

New Haven was actually a lot nicer than I thought. I'm not sure why people badmouth it but it's a real cool place. It's decidedly more college-towny than Palo Alto, which I found boring .

All in all, the AWS was a really cool experience. YLS is everything I was hoping it would be. See you in the fall! :D

User avatar
bgc
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 6:14 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby bgc » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:50 pm

Dean Koh recently answered a series of questions in preparation for his confirmation hearing. I have only just begun to look at it, but thought folks here might be interested.

--LinkRemoved--



The Yale ASP was wonderful. It was both intellectually engaging and tremendously fun. I cannot wait to begin.

I loved every interaction I had Heather Gerken; the mock class reframed election law in a way that makes me see it as uniquely coincident with one of my particular interests. The seminar of hers that I attended was the model of free-flowing discourse.

The admitted students were awesome (in the formal sense). I know I will have to work at the edge of my ability to hang, which is exactly what I want.

edit: this last point seems to be controversial, which I find odd. To be explicit, I am there are similarly intelligent people at all top law schools. The difference for me was the way everyone, students and faculty alike, interacted. Much of that was surely caused by the miniscule size of the ASP compared to others and the fact that most who attended the event would be at school in the fall. There was one moment when I brought out some copyright boilerplate that usually serves me well. As soon as I said it, I realized I wasn't thinking or engaging at a level that would contribute meaningfully to the discussion.
Last edited by bgc on Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest