Yale Law School Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
bgc
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 6:14 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby bgc » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:10 pm

sandpiper wrote:Property with Ellickson is one of those classes that people say you "have" to take while at YLS...That's all I have off of the top of my head.


So much for my hope that everyone would be too bored by property to want to work with Ellickson. :lol: I am a fan. His property class is one I visited on my last trip through new haven. It's a great class to visit because he's very good and the class is large enough that you don't feel you are disturbing them.

User avatar
SparkyLives
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:10 am

Re: Carpool to Yale ASW?

Postby SparkyLives » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:45 am

iowajake wrote:Trying to make last-minute travel arrangements to ASW.

Anybody want to carpool from a nearby airport late Wednesday night? JFK, LaGuardia, Newark, Harftford, etc.

If interested, please send me a note with your name, email, and phone number.



I'm coming in Wednesday evening at Hartford -- I get there around 5 pm...If you can manage that I'll be down to split the cab ride

User avatar
rabbit9198
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:29 pm

Re: Carpool to Yale ASW?

Postby rabbit9198 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:54 am

SparkyLives wrote:
iowajake wrote:Trying to make last-minute travel arrangements to ASW.

Anybody want to carpool from a nearby airport late Wednesday night? JFK, LaGuardia, Newark, Harftford, etc.

If interested, please send me a note with your name, email, and phone number.



I'm coming in Wednesday evening at Hartford -- I get there around 5 pm...If you can manage that I'll be down to split the cab ride


If you guys want to save money vs. cabs, I'd recommend taking CT Limo: --LinkRemoved-- They have special Yale discounts (esp. if you get dropped off at Phelps Gate, which is right on Yale's Old Campus, just a block or two away from YLS) to/from Bradley (Hartford).

If you're coming from JFK/LGA, I think Go Shuttle tends to have better rates: http://2theairport.hudsonltd.net/res?US ... s&LOGON=GO They'll also drop you off at Phelps Gate.

For both of those companies, you're supposed to technically have a Yale ID, but I don't know anybody who's ever been carded.

Ewitt3
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:50 am

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby Ewitt3 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:05 am

Looking forward to the admitted students program. Has everyone heard yet who their student host will be? I haven't heard yet, but I also didn't get admitted until early last week.

User avatar
abenn07
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:20 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby abenn07 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:10 pm

I finally heard from my host last night. Lucky me--she said her husband will pick me up at the airport! (I am flying into New Haven.)

Thanks for the tips on classes to visit, sandpiper.

MsKantPants
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:34 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby MsKantPants » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:04 pm

Hey everyone! I will also be attending YLS this fall... felt like I should join the group. I just heard from my ASW host last night as well. I'm having one heck of a time trying to find an apartment downtown, so I have a question for current Yale students: Do people who live in the New Haven Towers (specifically Crown or Madison tower) enjoy it there? Or do they hate it? Or are they just indifferent? Thanks!

sandpiper
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:35 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby sandpiper » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:17 pm

MsKantPants wrote:Hey everyone! I will also be attending YLS this fall... felt like I should join the group. I just heard from my ASW host last night as well. I'm having one heck of a time trying to find an apartment downtown, so I have a question for current Yale students: Do people who live in the New Haven Towers (specifically Crown or Madison tower) enjoy it there? Or do they hate it? Or are they just indifferent? Thanks!


I think that everyone that lives there likes it - I only know of one or two 1Ls moving out at the end of this year. The plurality of law students live there and it's definitely a good value for the amount of space you get. I personally like Crown more than Madison, but they're incredibly similar. The appliances in the kitchen aren't state of the art and I've heard maintenance can sometimes be a bit slow to respond, but those are really the only knocks on 'em. Maybe take the time to swing by and look at apartments during ASW. Are you considering any other complexes/buildings?

sandpiper

MsKantPants
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:34 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby MsKantPants » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:35 pm

sandpiper wrote:
MsKantPants wrote:Hey everyone! I will also be attending YLS this fall... felt like I should join the group. I just heard from my ASW host last night as well. I'm having one heck of a time trying to find an apartment downtown, so I have a question for current Yale students: Do people who live in the New Haven Towers (specifically Crown or Madison tower) enjoy it there? Or do they hate it? Or are they just indifferent? Thanks!


I think that everyone that lives there likes it - I only know of one or two 1Ls moving out at the end of this year. The plurality of law students live there and it's definitely a good value for the amount of space you get. I personally like Crown more than Madison, but they're incredibly similar. The appliances in the kitchen aren't state of the art and I've heard maintenance can sometimes be a bit slow to respond, but those are really the only knocks on 'em. Maybe take the time to swing by and look at apartments during ASW. Are you considering any other complexes/buildings?

sandpiper



Thank you so for the help! I'll definitely be checking the towers out this weekend then. I've been considering the Centerpointe, but when my boyfriend and I finally decided to rent a certain apartment, we found out that somebody else already got it... it was pretty disheartening. If we can't do the towers or the Centerpointe, we would probably live in East Rock. I don't even know where to look there, though. I'm not very good at apartment hunting, haha.

User avatar
rabbit9198
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:29 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby rabbit9198 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:46 pm

MsKantPants wrote:Thank you so for the help! I'll definitely be checking the towers out this weekend then. I've been considering the Centerpointe, but when my boyfriend and I finally decided to rent a certain apartment, we found out that somebody else already got it... it was pretty disheartening. If we can't do the towers or the Centerpointe, we would probably live in East Rock. I don't even know where to look there, though. I'm not very good at apartment hunting, haha.


I'd echo what sandpiper said...most people in the Towers [Madison Tower, Crown Tower, Crown Court, and the less-popular-because-it's-a-co op [so you rent from an owner, and each apartment is different]-but-still-nice University Towers] find them to be a good value for the money: they're close to school, they're the default law school dorm complex, and you get lots of space for what you pay. If you're bringing a car, they also offer on-site parking, which some other complexes don't have available (at an additional fee, of course). The major downsides I've heard have been related to maintenance responsiveness, and for those who are used to stainless/granite, the appliances & cabinetry are a bit old-school.

If you're looking in East Rock, your best bet is probably a combination of Craigslist and talking to current YLS students. Since most of the places there are privately-owned houses subdivided into apartments, you're less likely to find signs or web sites promoting the various options - but they exist, I swear! Don't be afraid to talk to current students when you're in town this week about their housing choices; people are really generally happy to help connect you with people that live in various places and might even be able to hook you up with landlord contacts, etc.

littleboyblue
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:12 am

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby littleboyblue » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:15 pm

for rabbit and others (thanks for answering all our questions!) that attended last year's ASW - is it a mad rush to sign up for class visits or lunch with professors?

franfair
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:28 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby franfair » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:52 pm

.
Last edited by franfair on Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rabbit9198
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:29 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby rabbit9198 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:06 pm

littleboyblue wrote:for rabbit and others (thanks for answering all our questions!) that attended last year's ASW - is it a mad rush to sign up for class visits or lunch with professors?


I don't remember it being a problem for me last year; but then, I'm not a "typical" con law/academically-interested person, so I'm not sure if those classes filled up more quickly. I sat in on a medical ethics & the law seminar, and I had lunch with Jean Koh Peters (child advocacy/clinical professor)...and they were both awesome.

User avatar
bgc
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 6:14 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby bgc » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:10 pm

For anyone looking on craigslist, this is a useful tool for figuring out which places are close enough to check out:

http://www.mapskrieg.com/view/newhaven

User avatar
rabbit9198
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:29 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby rabbit9198 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:12 pm

franfair wrote:Also, the updated schedule was a little unclear about what guests could attend. I'll have my husband with me. He is more than happy not to attend anything, but I want him to come to at least one thing to get a feel for the school/community, because I want it to be a good fit for us both. Will anyone else be bringing a guest?


Hmm...hopefully you'll be able to ask at registration to make certain which things guests are invited to/excluded from. I've already met a few of your fellow admits who are bringing spouses (some are here already, doing job searches this week!), so you certainly won't be alone. I think last year the main things guests were excluded from were the special meals: dinner @ the professor's home, dinner with current students, and lunch w/ professors (b/c there's limited space for all of those!). Otherwise, for the less-logistically-complicated things, you should be okay with a tag-along. :)

littleboyblue
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:12 am

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby littleboyblue » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:20 pm

rabbit9198 wrote: I sat in on a medical ethics & the law seminar, and I had lunch with Jean Koh Peters (child advocacy/clinical professor)...and they were both awesome.


and Dean Koh's sister?

User avatar
rabbit9198
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:29 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby rabbit9198 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:33 pm

littleboyblue wrote:
rabbit9198 wrote: I sat in on a medical ethics & the law seminar, and I had lunch with Jean Koh Peters (child advocacy/clinical professor)...and they were both awesome.


and Dean Koh's sister?


Yup. It's an uber-accomplished family! Their brother Howard was also recently nominated by President Obama to be an Assistant Secretary of Health and Human Services: http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=527339

User avatar
bgc
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 6:14 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby bgc » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:38 pm

franfair wrote:Also, the updated schedule was a little unclear about what guests could attend. I'll have my husband with me. He is more than happy not to attend anything, but I want him to come to at least one thing to get a feel for the school/community, because I want it to be a good fit for us both. Will anyone else be bringing a guest?


Fran, there is a guest schedule up on the admit site. It lists some events, including the Gerken class, which are open to guests. I recommend sending him to the Bach b-minor mass on Friday night. It is one of my all-time favorite pieces.
Last edited by bgc on Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bgc
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 6:14 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby bgc » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:38 pm

I'm still looking for riders from Boston, btw.

User avatar
tinman
Posts: 223
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby tinman » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:10 pm

bgc wrote:I'm still looking for riders from Boston, btw.


I'm leaving from Boston tomorrow. what time are you leaving?

franfair
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:28 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby franfair » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:33 pm

.
Last edited by franfair on Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bgc
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 6:14 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby bgc » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:29 am

franfair wrote:
bgc wrote: I recommend sending him to the Bach b-minor mass on Friday night. It is one of my all time favorite pieces.

You must know my husband. I think he'll be excited to go hear the Bach mass. Thanks for the tip!

If sacred choral music is his thing, he'll be very happy in New Haven.

http://www.yale.edu/ism/
--LinkRemoved--

The Bach page:
http://www.yale.edu/ism/events/bachbminormass.html

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby OperaAttorney » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:45 am

franfair wrote:
bgc wrote: I recommend sending him to the Bach b-minor mass on Friday night. I is one of my all time favorite pieces.


You must know my husband. I think he'll be excited to go hear the Bach mass. Thanks for the tip!


The Bach B-minor mass? I'm jealous. "Benedictus qui venit in nomine Domini" is gorgeous. I'm going to listen to it right now.

User avatar
bgc
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 6:14 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby bgc » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:11 am

OperaAttorney wrote:The Bach B-minor mass? I'm jealous. "Benedictus qui venit in nomine Domini" is gorgeous. I'm going to listen to it right now.


What's your preferred recording, OA?

littleboyblue
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:12 am

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby littleboyblue » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:45 pm

Is Prof Gerken going to cold call us at the mock class? Just trying to decide how much time I should spend reading the case they sent us.

arrrrrr!
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:57 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby arrrrrr! » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:02 pm

haha. already slacking off? that's awesome.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest