Yale Law School Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
bearyfun

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby bearyfun » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:12 pm

constellationx wrote:
cardinalabyss wrote:I just finished reading the YLS binder. I wish that I had something more important to say, but, in addition to the obvious, I'm really excited for the ASP so that I can try the mashed potato pizza at Bar!

Cardinal, did you get the binder in the mail already or did you look online?

I got my binder today.

Skull & Bones

Postby Skull & Bones » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:09 pm

We don't leave this thread because we prize our secrecy and privacy instead of associating with the hoi polloi.

heartbreaker

Postby heartbreaker » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:36 pm

-
Last edited by heartbreaker on Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rabbit9198

Postby rabbit9198 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:04 pm

heartbreaker wrote:Random question for rabbit/alex/other current students:

What are the options for TV and internet service? At&T and Comcast? About how much does it cost?

Depends on your building, I think. Personally, I have AT&T internet (and could have them for phone, but we don't have a land-line) and Comcast cable. Internet is $40/month, and we have a special 6-month promo for Comcast, which gives us basic digital cable for $30/month (I think it jumps up to closer to $50-60 after the promo period is done). AT&T internet is cool b/c it also gives you free WiFi access at Starbucks on Chapel St, as well as any AT&T WiFi hot spot (lots of airports!!). I know some other people have bundled Comcast services and seem to like it just fine, too.

Severa

Postby Severa » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:48 pm

So I'm really frustrated by Craigslist right now...all the rooms they have advertised are either incredibly expensive, sketchy or in the middle of nowhere. I am starting to wonder if I will ever secure housing! I dont want to live under a bridge, surviving on the bits and pieces of mashed potato pizza and discarded law review articles...are there any other useful* online sources for housing and roomate searching? Thanks all, I appreciate your help!

rabbit9198

Postby rabbit9198 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:11 am

Severa wrote:So I'm really frustrated by Craigslist right now...all the rooms they have advertised are either incredibly expensive, sketchy or in the middle of nowhere. I am starting to wonder if I will ever secure housing! I dont want to live under a bridge, surviving on the bits and pieces of mashed potato pizza and discarded law review articles...are there any other useful* online sources for housing and roomate searching? Thanks all, I appreciate your help!

Don't be discouraged! I assure you, I know of no homeless YLS students! :)

Here's another good place to search: http://yalestation.yale.edu/market/?t=housing
Right now it's a lot of summer sublets, but there are some permanent places, too.

Also, you should know that this is still really *pretty* early for a fall housing search. Lots of places won't know their availability for a while - most places have a 30-60 day "tell us you're moving out" policy. So while many apartments can put you on a waiting list or guess at their availability, you shouldn't feel like what's on the market/being advertised now is *all* that's out there. [I should clarify...that's not to say that you can't find/sign a lease for some places now...just that there will also be more places available by late April, May, June, even July & August.]

In addition, I wouldn't limit your search to CL. Most of the medium-large apartment buildings won't advertise there. Use the list in the back of your admitted student binder, and just call up some places...they can give you more info & let you know what their process is for renting.

Finally, if you're going to be at the ASW, current students can give you tips on where to look for best-kept-secret type places. AND, if your class is anything like mine, soon enough there will be lots of postings on the Facebook group about places people have found...that can be a good guide for you, too. Craig might even be so kind as to post some 3Ls' "somebody take over my lease, please!" messages to the group.
Last edited by rabbit9198 on Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

bgc

Postby bgc » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:19 am

Rabbit,

Thanks for sticking around here to help us get our feet wet.

franfair

Postby franfair » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:30 am

Last edited by franfair on Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Severa

Postby Severa » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:16 am

Thank you so much, Rabbit! It really helps to have someone who's been through all this before to tell us what's what. Now I don't have to breathe into a paper bag and picture what it's like to use a CrimLaw book as a roof...;)

rabbit9198

Postby rabbit9198 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:20 am

Last edited by rabbit9198 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rabbit9198

Postby rabbit9198 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:21 am

Last edited by rabbit9198 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bgc

Postby bgc » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:36 pm

Rabbit, or anyone else in this position, I've been reading the YLS 2011 thread (which I recommend. There is a substantial debate of Y vs. others) and noticed that you were one of a few Yale admits who chose Yale over schools with greater options in your subject of interest. I know that one can start reading groups to explore any subject. How do you now feel about the dearth of official options or mentors?

Like most of us, I suspect, I'm looking at Yale over schools that offer much more money and many more classes and mentors in my areas of interest.

I'm also curious about the "race for faculty" that was discussed last year. How has that played out?

bgc

Postby bgc » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:38 pm

From the 2011 thread: Ben Matlock's downtown New Haven apartment guide!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=96&start=500#p631538

rabbit9198

Postby rabbit9198 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:27 pm

bgc wrote:Rabbit, or anyone else in this position, I've been reading the YLS 2011 thread (which I recommend. There is a substantial debate of Y vs. others) and noticed that you were one of a few Yale admits who chose Yale over schools with greater options in your subject of interest. I know that one can start reading groups to explore any subject. How do you now feel about the dearth of official options or mentors?

Like most of us, I suspect, I'm looking at Yale over schools that offer much more money and many more classes and mentors in my areas of interest.

That's a really good question. There is really only one class offered here on my specific area of interest (and I'm not taking that class this semester, b/c I've heard less-than-stellar things about it, and because I'm involved in something else that conflicts with its meeting time), but I haven't found it to be a problem. I'm really involved with a clinic that *is* related, and through that I've received as much instruction as I would if there were five faculty members and 10 classes offered. I've also found a part-time job and volunteer opportunities through YLS and in New Haven that have let me do other things related to that interest area. Honestly, there is so much here to keep me busy, it doesn't bother me at all that there isn't a formal "program" in what I'm interested in. If I wanted to do a joint degree, I could arrange something with Harvard or Columbia's schools in that area...and it's something I'm considering, but I haven't decided yet whether it will be necessary.

Second, it's not really as if I only have one interest area (though it is what I imagine I'll do for a career, in some capacity)! I've just signed on to be a research assistant for a professor on a somewhat-related topic, and I'm really excited about my other classes...I'm on a completely unrelated journal, and I want to take a class at the School of Management next semester in behavioral economics (again, completely unrelated). I think in general the class & extra-curricular offerings here are broad and deep enough to allow you to find things you're interested in and also to try new things. Asha said yesterday during the Monday admitted student program that maybe only 15% of one's subject-matter experience (she was specifically referencing international law, but I think it's true for other areas, too) at YLS will come from classes, and I think that's probably true!

That said, I do think that the lack of faculty/courses/clinics in a specific area of interest is one really serious consideration that shouldn't be minimized. There certainly are areas where Yale (or any other school for that matter) may lack emphasis...and if you know FOR SURE that you want to concentrate a lot of your work in one area and a school doesn't offer it, you should talk to students about how they deal with that. For some people, it's a completely legit reason to choose one school over another, but I'd say that generally you should be open to the possibility that you might discover more interests when you're in law school, and that the "feel" of a school makes a difference, regardless of academic offerings.

bgc wrote: I'm also curious about the "race for faculty" that was discussed last year. How has that played out?

The school's made a few hires lately - both clinical and academic. The hiring committee is meeting ALL the time - my professors who are on it are constantly going to meetings to talk about candidates. There are some great visiting faculty this year that students are hoping will get permanent offers, too. The school's official position is that we (meaning, the YLS endowment) haven't been hit as hard as other schools have, so now is the time to be aggressive with hiring, especially targeting young "rising stars." It's obviously something that will play out for a number of years, but I think there is a sense here that we can't rest on our laurels (especially with regard to minority/female faculty hires).

shuchong

Postby shuchong » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:48 pm

I said I'd post my impressions from this Monday's Monday program... that was when I thought there'd be around twenty students there. There were six. Given that the internet scares me, I'm just going to post general thoughts/feelings. Feel free to PM me if you'd like more detail:)

I was really impressed with Yale. If I weren't looking at 0 grants vs. full tuition at Columbia, I'd go in a heartbeat. As it is, I might still go, but I'm not ready to take the plunge quite yet.

Students

Were great. Helpful, friendly, went out of their way to talk to me/make sure I wasn't lost (I have a terrible sense of direction, and so frequently wander around new places looking pathetic and confused). Also, I think they're really telling the truth about it not being competitive. In fact, one of the other admits asked a random 2L (someone who sat near us in a class that we were visiting) about the rumor that not having grades just made YLS students more competitive in other areas, such as competing for face time with Profs etc. The 2L seemed almost confused by the question. Several students mentioned feeling overextended, what with journals, clinics, student organizations etc., but that to me seems far better than being stressed out by competition.

That said, both students and profs did mention that every class has 1 or 2 people that sort of coast through their time at Yale and figure that the name on the degree will be enough to get them through, so the entitled snobs are apparently out there. I'm also kind of appalled by how many people were on gchat during class. I sat in on two classes. In class #1 I could see seven screens (yay for sitting in the back in classrooms with stadium seating). 4 of those seven people were busy typing notes. One was doing mostly Law Journal stuff, occasionally flipping to the case that the prof was discussing. One was switching between a pre-written outline, the case, gmail, gchat, several WSJ articles, info on a passover dinner, and a few other things which I now forget. One was reading the NY Times online for the entire class. Maybe I'm old-fashioned/uptight, but seriously, why come to class if all you're going to do is read the NY Times? In fact, why come to law school at all? This, however, is something I think I'm going to find everywhere, especially in upper-level, non-doctrinal classes.

Professors

We had a course schedule and asked students (and Acting Dean Stith) what classes we should sit in on. There was definitely a core group of 4 or 5 professor that everyone recommended of the top of their heads, but once they sat down with the class schedule, more names kept popping up. I was only warned away from one or two profs, which was comforting.

Overall

We weren't given a hard sell, which I appreciated. Several of the profs we talked to had either taught at or been students at Harvard. (I imagine this was a deliberate move on the part of the admissions office, 'cause they're sneaky like that). Most of those who had been HLS students said they didn't enjoy it, but also acknowledged that HLS today is a much different place. A few profs had taught at Harvard recently, and talked about the differences between the two. I'd be happy to talk about that via PM, but I'm not considering Harvard, so I really wasn't paying all that much attention.

The sheer number of profs and students that took time to talk with us, plus the number of email addresses they gave us when they heard what we were interested in, was astounding. I still need to talk to a few more profs and students at Columbia, but I'll likely take on ridiculous amounts of debt to go to Yale, even though thinking about all that money makes my stomach hurt.

MeechiganBoy

Postby MeechiganBoy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:51 pm

Congratulations and best of luck to you

zabagabe

Postby zabagabe » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:50 pm

Hey shuchong, thanks for your thoughts! It's interesting how much they mirrored my visit (disgust with the amount of computer stuff going in class, but admiration for how freakin' awesome the students are). Good to know that the latter wasn't just my random sample. :)

bgc

Postby bgc » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:45 pm

zabagabe wrote:Hey shuchong, thanks for your thoughts! It's interesting how much they mirrored my visit (disgust with the amount of computer stuff going in class, but admiration for how freakin' awesome the students are). Good to know that the latter wasn't just my random sample. :)

I've only visited one class at Yale. I agree that there was more Gchat than I expected, but it was not overwhelming. The majority of students were very engaged, the class was GREAT, and the interactions between professor and student were surprisingly pointed (in a post-socratic way), tremendously respectful, and remarkably enlightening.

It was one of the biggest classes at Yale (~90 students), which I would assume aggravates the interneting.

shuchong

Postby shuchong » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:06 pm

zabagabe wrote:Hey shuchong, thanks for your thoughts! It's interesting how much they mirrored my visit (disgust with the amount of computer stuff going in class, but admiration for how freakin' awesome the students are). Good to know that the latter wasn't just my random sample. :)

Although I must confess that I went into the visit with your post in the back of my mind, so it's probably no coincidence that I was looking closely at students and how engaged they were in class:)

Cartwright4

Postby Cartwright4 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:38 am

Question to rabbit and other current Yalies: Once you do get an apartment, I imagine the lease is at least one year. Do students have a hard time subletting their places over the summer? Do the apartments often just end up sitting idle during the summer/winter since I imagine most students do things away from New Haven? Thanks in advance.

rabbit9198

Postby rabbit9198 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:47 am

Cartwright4 wrote:Question to rabbit and other current Yalies: Once you do get an apartment, I imagine the lease is at least one year. Do students have a hard time subletting their places over the summer? Do the apartments often just end up sitting idle during the summer/winter since I imagine most students do things away from New Haven? Thanks in advance.

GOOD question! I just posted about this on my blog: http://similarlysituated.blogspot.com/2 ... ssles.html

Yes, most leases are 12 months (most of my classmates have leases that started July, August, or September 1). Yes, that requires you to get subletters. It's not "hard," per se - but it's definitely not guaranteed that you'll be able to find someone to pay full price over the summer. Most subletters are Yale undergrads and visiting scholars/students. Some people choose to sublet and just take a hit on rent (while not updated on my blog, that's what my roommates & I are doing - we're renting to a group of Yale undergrads, and we're each losing about $200/month on the deal)...others [who are much wealthier than me!] decide it's not worth the hassle of subletting/the weirdness of having someone else using your stuff, and just let their apartment stay empty. I don't know anyone who hasn't found *anyone* to sublet...but I know some people who are taking pretty big cuts vs. sticker price.

I don't know anyone who tried to sublet over the winter...personally, I was only away from campus from Dec 21st or so until Jan 5th...and nobody really wants to sublet in New Haven during that time. :)

Cartwright4

Postby Cartwright4 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:53 am

rabbit9198 wrote:
Cartwright4 wrote:Question to rabbit and other current Yalies: Once you do get an apartment, I imagine the lease is at least one year. Do students have a hard time subletting their places over the summer? Do the apartments often just end up sitting idle during the summer/winter since I imagine most students do things away from New Haven? Thanks in advance.

GOOD question! I just posted about this on my blog: http://similarlysituated.blogspot.com/2 ... ssles.html

Yes, most leases are 12 months (most of my classmates have leases that started July, August, or September 1). Yes, that requires you to get subletters. It's not "hard," per se - but it's definitely not guaranteed that you'll be able to find someone to pay full price over the summer. Most subletters are Yale undergrads and visiting scholars/students. Some people choose to sublet and just take a hit on rent (while not updated on my blog, that's what my roommates & I are doing - we're renting to a group of Yale undergrads, and we're each losing about $200/month on the deal)...others [who are much wealthier than me!] decide it's not worth the hassle of subletting/the weirdness of having someone else using your stuff, and just let their apartment stay empty. I don't know anyone who hasn't found *anyone* to sublet...but I know some people who are taking pretty big cuts vs. sticker price.

I don't know anyone who tried to sublet over the winter...personally, I was only away from campus from Dec 21st or so until Jan 5th...and nobody really wants to sublet in New Haven during that time. :)

As usual, you are ridiculously helpful. Thanks!

homestyle

Postby homestyle » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:20 am

Is anyone planning to live in an on-campus dorm? It just seems like such an easy option, especially for a 0L as confused as I am. :)

KP429

Postby KP429 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:09 am

homestyle wrote:Is anyone planning to live in an on-campus dorm? It just seems like such an easy option, especially for a 0L as confused as I am. :)

Haha, that's the problem. There is no on-campus housing! Fun times, huh?

tinman

Postby tinman » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:31 am

hey all, I thought I would join this group as I have been lurking while trying to make a decision. I am still considering Stanford and Columbia with a Hamilton (I would be paying full price at SLS or YLS and free at Columbia sounds pretty OK to me), but I am now leaning a bit towards Yale. I just visited Stanford, and I absolutely loved it. The students I met were extremely impressive, the law school was stunning, the weather was perfect, their academic strengths more closely match my interests BUT the students acknowledge how difficult law school (and especially the first year) can be. I want to be at a school where I work because I am passionate about law, not because I am gunning for a top prize. It seems like Yale is the place for that. And with all the freedom that Yale seems to offer, I think I will be able to shape my own path (rather than follow the clearly marked path that I might find at Stanford). In many ways, I perfect that opportunity/challenge.

I think Stanford and Yale are far and away the best places to go to law school in the country. That doesn't mean they are the best law schools. Harvard has great professors, as does Columbia. But I do not think those places are nearly as nice places to go to school.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”