Yale Law School Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Cartwright4

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby Cartwright4 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:06 am

rabbit9198 wrote:
Cartwright4 wrote:Hey guys, quick question for the current Yale law students:

In your anecdotal experience and what you've heard, does financial aid get less generous for 2L and 3L than for 1L? How heavily are summer earnings made during law school summers, particularly at a firm, deducted from your financial aid?

I'm asking because Yale gave me a pretty generous first-year financial aid package, but I want to get a feel for how this might change over the other two years.

I haven't gotten my award for next year yet (our deadline to submit tax info isn't till April 15th), but from what I've heard, not much changes in later years.

Summer earnings at Yale are "penalized" more so than at some other schools (notably, Stanford, which I think takes 57% of your earnings). Here, anything above $6,000 is seen as "available" for paying for school.

Not to beat a dead horse, but when you say "available," do you mean it reduces your financial aid essentially dollar for dollar? (Sorry, I should prob be asking this question to Pat Barnes rather than on this forum.)

rabbit9198

Postby rabbit9198 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:16 am

Cartwright4 wrote:
rabbit9198 wrote:
Cartwright4 wrote:Hey guys, quick question for the current Yale law students:

In your anecdotal experience and what you've heard, does financial aid get less generous for 2L and 3L than for 1L? How heavily are summer earnings made during law school summers, particularly at a firm, deducted from your financial aid?

I'm asking because Yale gave me a pretty generous first-year financial aid package, but I want to get a feel for how this might change over the other two years.

I haven't gotten my award for next year yet (our deadline to submit tax info isn't till April 15th), but from what I've heard, not much changes in later years.

Summer earnings at Yale are "penalized" more so than at some other schools (notably, Stanford, which I think takes 57% of your earnings). Here, anything above $6,000 is seen as "available" for paying for school.

Not to beat a dead horse, but when you say "available," do you mean it reduces your financial aid essentially dollar for dollar? (Sorry, I should prob be asking this question to Pat Barnes rather than on this forum.)

That's the sense I got (that it amounts to a dollar-for-dollar reduction) from a session held here earlier this year. Since $6000/summer (or, more exactly, $500/week assuming a 12-week summer job) is what they estimate is needed for living expenses, they assume anything above that is available for paying tuition.

Cartwright4

Postby Cartwright4 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:02 pm

Thanks a lot rabbit! I'm having a ridiculously hard time choosing between YLS and the Hamilton at Columbia, so I really appreciate all the information.

westbayguy

Postby westbayguy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:08 pm

That's the sense I got (that it amounts to a dollar-for-dollar reduction) from a session held here earlier this year. Since $6000/summer (or, more exactly, $500/week assuming a 12-week summer job) is what they estimate is needed for living expenses, they assume anything above that is available for paying tuition.

Do they assume you pay no income taxes?

comeback

Postby comeback » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:59 pm

http://www.elmcampus.com/

They manage Yale property apartments. Many of the apartments seem close to the law school, renovated, and reasonably affordable. :D

bearyfun

Postby bearyfun » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:13 pm

I am ridiculously, hyperventilatingly excited to join you guys! I got the call last night and Craig and I played phone tag until just now...but I'm in!

Yaaaaaaaaaaay! :D
Last edited by bearyfun on Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

franfair

Postby franfair » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:26 pm

Last edited by franfair on Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zabagabe

Postby zabagabe » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:24 pm

bearyfun wrote:I am ridiculously, hyperventilatingly excited to join you guys! I got the call last night and Craig and I played phone tag until just now...but I'm in!

Yaaaaaaaaaaay! :D

Woohoo! Congrats!!! :)

westbayguy wrote:That's the sense I got (that it amounts to a dollar-for-dollar reduction) from a session held here earlier this year. Since $6000/summer (or, more exactly, $500/week assuming a 12-week summer job) is what they estimate is needed for living expenses, they assume anything above that is available for paying tuition.

Do they assume you pay no income taxes?

From everything I remember, they consider the first $6k in income AFTER taxes. I'm not entirely sure how they arrive at this calculation, but that's my understanding. Otherwise, especially in your 2L summer, this would be SUPER punitive!

masterpinky0509

Postby masterpinky0509 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:28 pm

Congrats to all!

KP429

Postby KP429 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:09 pm

Anyone notice that the 2012 FB group numbers took off over the last couple of days? 170 in there now! Hopefully some will make their way over to this thread..

comeback

Postby comeback » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:05 am

Do most apartments in New Haven come unfurnished?? Any ideas on how to get cheap furniture?

rabbit9198

Postby rabbit9198 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:16 am

comeback wrote:Do most apartments in New Haven come unfurnished?? Any ideas on how to get cheap furniture?

Most, yeah. Depends on how you're taking over the lease (and when). If you're taking over the space directly from another law or grad student, they're probably willing to sell (or give!) you their furniture...some are really happy to have you take it, as it means they don't have to deal with getting rid of it, especially if they're moving far away.

Craigslist is probably the best place to get cheap furniture, if you can't manage to arrange to take over furniture from the previous tenant (lots of times, landlords are happy to make the connection for you). There's also an IKEA right in New Haven, so you can go there to get stuff or else have it delivered. There are a couple other furniture stores in the area that will deliver, too, but their stuff isn't as cheap as IKEA/Craigslist.

Personally, lots of my apartment's furniture (couch, tables, some lamps, bedroom stuff) was left for us by previous tenants, in some combination of us paying for it/them leaving us stuff for free. We picked up a few pieces (kitchen table chairs, some lamps) at IKEA, and we got a lounge chair/sofa set from Craigslist for $100.

Ranita

Postby Ranita » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:53 pm

alexb240 wrote:P.S. I walk to the grocery store and back every weekend. It's relatively easy to do so.

P.P.S. rabbit is the best tour guide ever.

Alex,

Whereabouts is this mythical grocery store? Hartford?

Rabbit,

I want a tour. Pencil me in for Monday, ok? 8)

Ranita

Postby Ranita » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:15 pm

alexb240 wrote:I have a studio in that very building. A goodly number of students live here (40% strikes me as high, but not as extremely so), which makes socializing quite easy. It's a little expensive (in my humble (and impoverished) opinion), but you are paying for location and convenience.

Alex,

As a resident of the hottest hang-out for YLS students (besides the Sterling Buildings), perhaps you could lend me and everyother admit on this board a hand.

Because my wife and I both prefer cities and convenience, we've ruled out East Rock, Science Hill, Mansfield, and Ashmun. I like a nice leasurely walk every now and then, but I'd like to be able to choose when and where said stroll occurs (i.e. at 0730 on a cold, drizzly March morning before CivPro class would be the sort of scenario in which I could see myself not wanting to walk).

Downtown seems to have two main categories: the ubercomplexes and the smaller joints over on Howe/Dwight.

The ubers (900 Chapel, Centrepoint, Cambridge-Oxford, Towers) seem to be close to YLS and close to the downtown action. Yet I've heard some solid gripes about them: The Towers are neither clean nor well-maintained, etc. and the rest of them are nicer but very expensive.

The places on Howe and Dwight (Campus View, Lehrer's properties, 100 Howe, Chelsea Co.'s properties) are reportedly a better value (can anyone confirm this?) and about equally close to YLS. However their downside seems to be that they are further from the downtown core and the student epicenter of the Towers.

So, in your assessment, what advice would you give to a student who is considering the following three properties:

1. The Oxford-Cambridge
2. The Towers
3. An independently run place on Howe or Dwight

Thanks a ton for the help!

rabbit9198

Postby rabbit9198 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:08 pm

Last edited by rabbit9198 on Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SparkyLives

Postby SparkyLives » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:14 pm

Other than fill out the bio, is there anything else we need to do in order to secure our financial aid award? I feel like I'm missing something :?

zabagabe

Postby zabagabe » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:55 pm

Last edited by zabagabe on Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:17 am

So, question for all of you on this thread who have ascended to the moksha of a Yale acceptance. Zab mentioned that you need to RSVP for the ASW by the 3rd. If, hypothetically, the world were to cease spinning and I got in after the 3rd, could I not go to the ASW? If this is true, shoudl we expect that most serious admission officers will be made before then (aka, the end of this week)?

Ok, sorry if I'm being somewhat OCD about this, but its curious. Thanks!

rabbit9198

Postby rabbit9198 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:20 am

iagolives wrote:So, question for all of you on this thread who have ascended to the moksha of a Yale acceptance. Zab mentioned that you need to RSVP for the ASW by the 3rd. If, hypothetically, the world were to cease spinning and I got in after the 3rd, could I not go to the ASW? If this is true, shoudl we expect that most serious admission officers will be made before then (aka, the end of this week)?

On good authority: Admissions offers will continue to go out after the 3rd. Those admitted after the 3rd will still be welcomed with open arms for the ASW.

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:21 am

rabbit9198 wrote:
iagolives wrote:So, question for all of you on this thread who have ascended to the moksha of a Yale acceptance. Zab mentioned that you need to RSVP for the ASW by the 3rd. If, hypothetically, the world were to cease spinning and I got in after the 3rd, could I not go to the ASW? If this is true, shoudl we expect that most serious admission officers will be made before then (aka, the end of this week)?

On good authority: Admissions offers will continue to go out after the 3rd. Those admitted after the 3rd will still be welcomed with open arms for the ASW.

As always rabbit, you are amazing. :)

homestyle

Postby homestyle » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:18 am

See you all in about three weeks!

constellationx

Postby constellationx » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:12 am

OK, Pat Barnes really is awesome. I was just admitted this past weekend and she already sent me my (much better than expected) financial aid package. Yay!

bearyfun

Postby bearyfun » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:51 pm

Severa

Postby Severa » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:51 pm

Hi all,

Is living in Prospect Gardens a bad idea for someone without a car? On the website it said that they have a shuttle bus but I'm not sure I like the idea of being so far from campus...any thoughts from the 1Ls? Thanks so much!

Sev

zabagabe

Postby zabagabe » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:55 pm

Last edited by zabagabe on Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”