Yale Law School Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
littleboyblue

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby littleboyblue » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:11 pm

comeback wrote:sigh:: YLS is capping travel subsidies at $350. rabbit, would you say that a visit is worth, say, spending $1000 (assuming that I'm set on YLS)? Feel free to spoil the beans for me by revealing the "cool things" via PM. :mrgreen:

where are you travelling from that it is so expensive? if you are already set on YLS then it really seems like an opportunity to meet people who you will most likely be going to school with in the fall. if you can't afford it, i wouldn't sweat it.

rabbit9198

Postby rabbit9198 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:00 pm

comeback wrote:sigh:: YLS is capping travel subsidies at $350. rabbit, would you say that a visit is worth, say, spending $1000 (assuming that I'm set on YLS)? Feel free to spoil the beans for me by revealing the "cool things" via PM. :mrgreen:

Depends. If you're for sure enrolling (based on what you've told me, you pretty much are), then the purpose might be a bit different - some people come for an extra day or spend some time looking at housing options off-campus (though you most certainly DON'T have to be even thinking about housing that early - most places won't let you sign right away, ), or just getting to know New Haven. Others try to start making some friends/maybe meet a roommate (but most people meet roommates randomly online/through the FB group, and it's rare not like you'll be left out of the club if you don't make good friends during the ASW - that's what orientation is for, etc.).

Will you be 'left behind' for not coming? No. Sometimes people reminisce about things that happened, but you won't miss out on anything crucial. You might feel more comfortable during orientation if you recognize some faces, etc., but honestly you shouldn't feel like you *have to* come.

SparkyLives

Postby SparkyLives » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:42 am

anybody joined the YLS 2012 facebook group?

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group ... 9881325357

comeback

Postby comeback » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:42 pm

Thanks again rabbit.

i haven't joined the group yet. wow already 17+ admits!

littleboyblue

Postby littleboyblue » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:53 pm

no scholly from columbia so i'll definitely be at yls. looking forward to meeting you guys at ASW (and in August?).

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:14 pm

littleboyblue wrote:no scholly from columbia so i'll definitely be at yls. looking forward to meeting you guys at ASW (and in August?).

Wow, you got into YLS first-round and not ANYTHING from Columbia? Wow. This cycle has been so bizarre! Well, congrats on Yale!

totalidiot

Postby totalidiot » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:10 pm

KP429 wrote:And the lady I spoke with today hinted that acceptances will start rolling out very, very soon. She said they were just taking care of the December admits first before they moved on to everyone else. Since our binders are to be sent out by week's end (supposedly), I imagine more decisions will be forthcoming in the next couple weeks.

Ha, oh how wrong this has turned out to be!

KP429

Postby KP429 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:23 pm

totalidiot wrote:
KP429 wrote:And the lady I spoke with today hinted that acceptances will start rolling out very, very soon. She said they were just taking care of the December admits first before they moved on to everyone else. Since our binders are to be sent out by week's end (supposedly), I imagine more decisions will be forthcoming in the next couple weeks.

So true! It's interesting because I was sort of taken aback that she even mentioned that more acceptances would start rolling out soon since it didn't really concern me at all. I would be absolutely floored if no one got accepted this week... my binder arrived almost 2 weeks ago! Pity me, huh?

Anyway this is the last hurrah for those already admitted until our thread gets hijacked by the new admits :P
Kidding.. kidding.. good luck to those still waiting!!

totalidiot

Postby totalidiot » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:28 pm

KP429 wrote:
totalidiot wrote:

So true! It's interesting because I was sort of taken aback that she even mentioned that more acceptances would start rolling out soon since it didn't really concern me at all. I would be absolutely floored if no one got accepted this week... my binder arrived almost 2 weeks ago! Pity me, huh?

Anyway this is the last hurrah for those already admitted until our thread gets hijacked by the new admits :P
Kidding.. kidding.. good luck to those still waiting!!

Just so you know....you have my envy!

a word of caution: if I were to be accepted (which I don't expect), expect an obnoxious post in all caps, as Yale is the dream (literally...it's pathetic)!

littleboyblue

Postby littleboyblue » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:55 pm

iagolives wrote:
littleboyblue wrote:no scholly from columbia so i'll definitely be at yls. looking forward to meeting you guys at ASW (and in August?).

Wow, you got into YLS first-round and not ANYTHING from Columbia? Wow. This cycle has been so bizarre! Well, congrats on Yale!

given my stats its not surprising that i didn't get a hamilton/butler from columbia. and it made my decision much much easier...

SparkyLives

Postby SparkyLives » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:40 am

So we've moved to a different forum?

Was accepted to Columbia today but without the Hamilton--I'll be at Yale in August.

mallard

Postby mallard » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:41 am

So I shouldn't feel like my Butler means my chances at Yale are worse?

KP429

Postby KP429 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:18 am

SparkyLives wrote:So we've moved to a different forum?

Was accepted to Columbia today but without the Hamilton--I'll be at Yale in August.

Yikes. How did YOU not get a Hammy? Ridiculous. I haven't even received anything from Columbia in the mail. Oh well.

SparkyLives

Postby SparkyLives » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:21 am

KP429 wrote:
SparkyLives wrote:So we've moved to a different forum?

Yikes. How did YOU not get a Hammy? Ridiculous. I haven't even received anything from Columbia in the mail. Oh well.

I'm a little bit relieved. I was waiting specifcally to see if I received the Hamilton or not. That would have thrown a serious kink in my thought process, so it just makes the decision that much easier. I honestly don't know what I would have done had I received it--but I honestly wasn't expecting it and I'm grateful for the Butler offer.

mallard wrote:So I shouldn't feel like my Butler means my chances at Yale are worse?

Well, I received the Butler too--so I don't think so. Do the schools communicate with each other about applicants?

mallard

Postby mallard » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:44 am

I would tend to think adcomms would be looking for generally similar things in applications, so I think of the Columbia scholly as saying something about the strength (or weakness) of my app... dunno.

excitedutterance

Postby excitedutterance » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:45 am

mallard wrote:So I shouldn't feel like my Butler means my chances at Yale are worse?

I hope not! If so I'll burn any evidence of mine.

Love me, Yale. Oh why won't you love me?

SparkyLives

Postby SparkyLives » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:04 pm

mallard wrote:I would tend to think adcomms would be looking for generally similar things in applications, so I think of the Columbia scholly as saying something about the strength (or weakness) of my app... dunno.

Ah, okay I see what you're saying. I don't know how much these scholarship offers reflect the strength/weakness of your application.

I am a URM w/numbers that are above the 75% of both Michigan and Columbia. However, I didn't receive a Darrow invite or a Hamilton offer. So at the very least the scholly game is not purely numbers based.

Not sure if I'm getting at your concern or not. :|

mallard

Postby mallard » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:06 pm

That does calm my nerves a bit, Sparky.

littleboyblue

Postby littleboyblue » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:54 pm

SparkyLives wrote:
mallard wrote:I would tend to think adcomms would be looking for generally similar things in applications, so I think of the Columbia scholly as saying something about the strength (or weakness) of my app... dunno.

Ah, okay I see what you're saying. I don't know how much these scholarship offers reflect the strength/weakness of your application.

I am a URM w/numbers that are above the 75% of both Michigan and Columbia. However, I didn't receive a Darrow invite or a Hamilton offer. So at the very least the scholly game is not purely numbers based.

Not sure if I'm getting at your concern or not. :|

wow - that is pretty surprising - although maybe they just assumed you'd get into one HYS.

KP429

Postby KP429 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:56 am

Anybody else talk to their "student buddy" yet? Impressions?

SparkyLives

Postby SparkyLives » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:01 am

KP429 wrote:Anybody else talk to their "student buddy" yet? Impressions?

No! How did he get a hold of you?

KP429

Postby KP429 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:03 am

That's so weird.. didn't you get that strange call ahead of all of us? I got my call-to-setup-a-student-buddy early Jan. followed by an e-mail from a 1L a couple days later. I didn't speak to him until today, but man did he sell Yale well.

SparkyLives

Postby SparkyLives » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:05 am

sheeeeeeeeeeiiiit, nothin here.

KP429

Postby KP429 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:07 am

They must've known you needed absolutely 0 convincing ;)

SparkyLives

Postby SparkyLives » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:09 am

KP429 wrote:They must've known you needed absolutely 0 convincing ;)

haha...I think I'm getting hosed a bit on my cycle--and it's all my fault. If you don't mind, could you give some highlights of his pitch? I'm interested.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”