Yale Law School Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Objection

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby Objection » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:02 pm

SparkyLives wrote:http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/8581.htm

This is good, :lol:

:lol: :lol:

I was actually just browsing the course catalog.

While HLS has more courses, am I alone in feeling that YLS has courses that just seem more fun?

littleboyblue

Postby littleboyblue » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:47 pm

Objection wrote:
SparkyLives wrote:http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/8581.htm

This is good, :lol:

:lol: :lol:

I was actually just browsing the course catalog.

While HLS has more courses, am I alone in feeling that YLS has courses that just seem more fun?

like what? i think more variety is great.

Objection

Postby Objection » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:51 pm

Maybe I haven't gone through HLS' courses enough to find equivalents, but here are a few:

*Civil Liberties and National Security Post-9/11 (20343) 3 units, credit/fail. This clinic addresses human rights and civil liberties issues arising out of government policies in the aftermath of 9/11. Students enrolled in the course work on ongoing cases on behalf of persons impacted by those policies, varying from civil actions to habeas representations to amicus briefs on key questions at the appellate and Supreme Court levels. Students also participate in a weekly seminar to address the substantive, practical, and ethical issues raised by the clinic’s cases and human rights impact litigation more generally. The class will meet at a regularly scheduled time once a week, and one additional weekly meeting period will be arranged at the beginning of the term. Permission of the instructor required. Enrollment limited. First-term students must enroll credit/fail, and returning students may elect graded credits. H.H. Koh, M.J. Wishnie, J.M. Freiman, H.R. Metcalf, and R. Kassem

*[The] Education Adequacy Project (20403) 3 units, credit/fail. This highly focused clinical course will represent public school parents: the Connecticut Coalition for Justice in Education Funding (CJEF). CJEF is a broad coalition made up of municipalities, school boards, unions, nonprofit organizations, parent-teacher organizations, and other interested individuals and groups. CJEF seeks to reform Connecticut’s public school finance system to provide for greater levels of funding for education by establishing a minimum level of funding needed to provide an adequate education and to alleviate the burden on local municipalities to provide the bulk of education funding. The Education Adequacy Project will meet on a weekly basis to review the progress of the students as well as to discuss the substantive issues involved in CJEF’s case and the theoretical issues involved in the adequacy movement. Enrollment limited to ten. R.A. Solomon, R.S. Golden, and A.A. Knopp

[The] Origins of “Public” and “Private” (20510) 2 or 3 units. The categories of “public” and “private” organize much of our thinking about law, politics, and morality. This seminar will examine how the distinction between them has come to be mapped onto the institutions of our legal system and government. It will do so by (1) recovering an eighteenth-century American world in which the public/private distinction was arguably nonexistent and at best radically unsettled and (2) tracing developments since then. For instance, governmental office in the early republic possessed many of the attributes of exploitable property: officers lawfully pocketed fees for their services, were frequently liable for their expenses, and were fully exposed to damage actions for misuse of their powers; only later did salaries, expense accounts, and immunity become the norm. To take another example, the household originally served as an institution by which a man forcibly governed wife and children (as husband and father) and servants and slaves (as master) and voted on behalf of all these dependents; only gradually did family law become fully differentiated from workplace law, with both domains officially conceived as consensual, private, and unrelated to voting. Equally complex developments characterize the histories of criminal prosecution (from private to official initiation); incorporation (from special sovereign concession to general right); war making (from bounty-seeking militias and prize-seeking privateers to not-for-profit armies and navies); legislatures (from clearinghouses for individual claims to articulators of general rules); and the church (from established to not). The course will consider these and other examples in an effort to understand the historical struggles underlying a distinction that is now frequently taken for granted. Grades are based on class participation and writing assignments, which may be either (1) three papers, each 3,000 words, based on the readings and due over the course of the term, or, (2) a single, longer, research paper. Paper required. Enrollment limited to fifteen. N. Parrillo

Capital Punishment Clinic (20251) 6 units (3 fall, 3 spring), two-term commitment required; credit/fail in fall, with graded option in spring. Students will assist members of the Capital Trial Unit of the Connecticut Public Defender Office in representing people facing the death penalty. Students will make practical use of research and analytical skills, and may participate in conferences with clients, witnesses and experts and investigations; and observe court proceedings. Weekly class sessions will include presentations and discussions of various aspects of capital cases such as mental health issues, jury selection, and scientific issues. Students must complete a substantial writing assignment, such as a portion of a motion, brief, or memorandum of law. The course is limited to students who intend to take Capital Punishment: Race, Poverty, and Disadvantage in Spring 2009, or have already taken it. Permission of the instructor required. Enrollment limited to eight. S.B. Bright and C.N. Lasch

ccw1234

Postby ccw1234 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:56 pm

Last edited by ccw1234 on Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Objection

Postby Objection » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:01 pm

ccw1234 wrote:Objection, I hope some YLS admissions officer is reading this and admits you ASAP.

Tired of me living vicariously through ya'll in this thread? :lol:

SparkyLives

Postby SparkyLives » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:29 pm

I like the flexibility of the schedule. The fact that after the first semester your free to chart your own course is straight up amazing.
Objection wrote:
ccw1234 wrote:Objection, I hope some YLS admissions officer is reading this and admits you ASAP.

I'm not tired, just hopeful that someone this enthusiastic gets in

littleboyblue

Postby littleboyblue » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:40 pm

SparkyLives wrote:I like the flexibility of the schedule. The fact that after the first semester your free to chart your own course is straight up amazing.
Objection wrote:

are you definitely going to yale?

SparkyLives

Postby SparkyLives » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:48 pm

littleboyblue wrote:
SparkyLives wrote:I like the flexibility of the schedule. The fact that after the first semester your free to chart your own course is straight up amazing.
Objection wrote:

are you definitely going to yale?

me? or Objection?

Objection

Postby Objection » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:53 pm

I'm not in YLS, so they can't mean me.

littleboyblue

Postby littleboyblue » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:56 pm

i meant you sparky lives. fyi - i am pretty set on yls.
wasn't sure if anyone on this thread actually made a decision yet.

SparkyLives

Postby SparkyLives » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:00 pm

littleboyblue wrote:i meant you sparky lives. fyi - i am pretty set on yls.

I'm pretty set...but I haven't notified any law schools yet so it's not completely "official".

Don't see myself going anywhere else, though.

SparkyLives

Postby SparkyLives » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:02 pm

Objection wrote:I'm not in YLS, so they can't mean me.

Yeah, I sorta figured. But you know when someone waves in your direction and you wave back, only to realize that they were saying hi to the person behind you? Always embarassing.

I didn't want to do the internet equivalent of that. :oops:

Objection

Postby Objection » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:04 pm

SparkyLives wrote:
Objection wrote:I'm not in YLS, so they can't mean me.

Yeah, I sorta figured. But you know when someone waves in your direction and you wave back, only to realize that they were saying hi to the person behind you? Always embarassing.

I didn't want to do the internet equivalent of that. :oops:

Hahaha...I hate that. It's especially bad for me because I never wear my glasses and can't see very far without them.

littleboyblue

Postby littleboyblue » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:11 pm

SparkyLives wrote:
littleboyblue wrote:i meant you sparky lives. fyi - i am pretty set on yls.

I'm pretty set...but I haven't notified any law schools yet so it's not completely "official".

Don't see myself going anywhere else, though.

why are you leaning towards yale (obviously its ranked #1, blah blah) but i am asking about specifics. (vs. HLS - I think you got in there as well). with all the great things i read about hls these days i am thinking maybe its the better of the two places (i know people will call me crazy!)

SparkyLives

Postby SparkyLives » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:21 pm

Class size, grading system, freedom to choose all your classes, cost of living, family tradition (not a legacy at the law school but a few members of the immediate fam went to the college), I also like how varied the job prospects are. It seems like Yale grads take up all the clerkships! But this is just a perception...not hard fact that I can back up with any info.

HLS's biggest attractors to me were the quality of life and lay prestige. But I figured that if I was doing this for lay prestige I'm doing it for the wrong reasons. For quality of life I figured that any college town would have some cool brew-pubs and that I'd always have the ability to catch a Yankee/Mets game with an hour train ride.

SparkyLives

Postby SparkyLives » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:23 pm

Oh yeah...and the campuses. I love the gothic architecture of Yale. But this isn't a good reason...I think this would fall under the "wrong reasons" category right next to lay prestige.

AND: Clinic work as a 1L? Oh man...so cool!

littleboyblue

Postby littleboyblue » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:44 pm

SparkyLives wrote:Oh yeah...and the campuses. I love the gothic architecture of Yale. But this isn't a good reason...I think this would fall under the "wrong reasons" category right next to lay prestige.

AND: Clinic work as a 1L? Oh man...so cool!

thanks for your thoughts.

alexb240

Postby alexb240 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:26 am

I'm taking Parillo's "Public/Private" class next semester and am very excited. ;-)

SparkyLives

Postby SparkyLives » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:52 am

On Yale vs. Harvard by a Yalie who transferred from Harvard

http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/6483.htm

SparkyLives

Postby SparkyLives » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:55 am

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:58 am

Lol, these little blogs are addictive, yeah? I read through them last night.

Granted, its much less sad that you read them as you are already admitted as oppose to me, but I have to say, Yale knows how to feed the hype, haha.

SparkyLives

Postby SparkyLives » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:00 am

iagolives wrote:Lol, these little blogs are addictive, yeah? I read through them last night.

Granted, its much less sad that you read them as you are already admitted as oppose to me, but I have to say, Yale knows how to feed the hype, haha.

+1 I'm even reading the ones that have absolutely no relevance to me. Like "Biking in the Haven"...I haven't ridden a bike since I was 10.

I said I was hungry for info, Rabbit answered the call. :D

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:05 am

They even are so suave at turning negatives into positives. Like, somehow, they turned a post about the strong competition in law school into a post about how close everyone is and how much they enjoy hanging out playing video games.

That sleight of hand is AMAZING!

Objection

Postby Objection » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:24 am

New round of acceptances tomorrow?

History says: Maybe!

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:27 am

lol, don't get my hopes up. Chicago left me standing at the altar today already....

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”