Yale Law School Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
iagolives
Posts: 687
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby iagolives » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:28 pm

*shrug* must have been some 250... :shock:

User avatar
rabbit9198
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:29 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby rabbit9198 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:35 pm

KP429 wrote:Got the "interests" phone call today. It's basically a phone call to set you up with a current Yale Law student who shares similar interests. They ask about your career interests, academic interests, and club interests. Very informal, the lady (Barbara) is VERY nice and I was really impressed.

They also ask if you've been granted scholarships from other institutions (merit-based -- she specifically asked if I'd received a Darrow) so maybe they're more flexible with FinAid than we think! Overall, it was a very nice confirmation of acceptance and the buddy mentor thing sounds really cool.


Don't get your hopes up - the reason they ask that question is so that in pairing you with a buddy, they can consider pairing you with someone else who "gave up" the same scholarships from other schools. It's not for FinAid purposes, as far as I can tell.
Last edited by rabbit9198 on Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rabbit9198
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:29 pm

Re: felon gets into yale law school

Postby rabbit9198 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:36 pm

LSATahhhh wrote:
thegor1987 wrote:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26661590/

felon gets into Yale Law school.

I thought you cant get a license to practice law with a felony?



Can you imagine sitting next to him in a class?


Yes. He's a wonderful classmate. :)

KP429
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: felon gets into yale law school

Postby KP429 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:13 pm

rabbit9198 wrote:
LSATahhhh wrote:
thegor1987 wrote:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26661590/

felon gets into Yale Law school.

I thought you cant get a license to practice law with a felony?



Can you imagine sitting next to him in a class?


Yes. He's a wonderful classmate. :)


From my alma mater :)

User avatar
alexb240
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:14 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby alexb240 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:02 pm

Congrats to everyone who has received acceptances thus far! And good luck to all those who are still waiting. ;-)

User avatar
iagolives
Posts: 687
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby iagolives » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:03 pm

alexb240 wrote:Congrats to everyone who has received acceptances thus far! And good luck to all those who are still waiting. ;-)


When do you think the calls will start going out again?
Last edited by iagolives on Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KP429
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby KP429 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:09 pm

Alex is already at Yale! Heh.

And the lady I spoke with today hinted that acceptances will start rolling out very, very soon. She said they were just taking care of the December admits first before they moved on to everyone else. Since our binders are to be sent out by week's end (supposedly), I imagine more decisions will be forthcoming in the next couple weeks.

User avatar
alexb240
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:14 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby alexb240 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:09 pm

Well, I have no idea... I'm a 1L. ;-)

thegor1987
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:00 pm

Re: felon gets into yale law school

Postby thegor1987 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:10 pm

rabbit9198 wrote:
LSATahhhh wrote:
thegor1987 wrote:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26661590/

felon gets into Yale Law school.

I thought you cant get a license to practice law with a felony?



Can you imagine sitting next to him in a class?


Yes. He's a wonderful classmate. :)


you are in law school. does a felony permanentaly and unconditionally disqualify a person to get a license to practice in any state? or are there loopholes?

User avatar
iagolives
Posts: 687
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby iagolives » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:12 pm

hah. Yeah, sorry about that.

User avatar
alexb240
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:14 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby alexb240 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:18 pm

A felony does not permanently and unconditionally disqualify an individual from passing the bar and practicing law. My understanding is this:

When you take the bar exam, you will also sit before a "Character and Fitness" review board. This board will determine if you meet the ethical requirements to practice law in the state (or somesuch. Insert bad lawyer joke here). It will be up to you to make your case to the review board that you meet the ethical requirements. If you are a convicted felon, *probably* what you'll need to do is a) show that you've served your debt to society (whatever it may be), b) show a record of good behavior after your conviction, and c) show adequate repentance/contrition for what you've done.

My understanding is that so called "crimes of moral turpitude" (don't ask me what these are, I haven't taken CrimLaw yet) are looked upon more seriously than other crimes.

That said, the above is mainly speculation and hobbled-together hearsay. *Please* don't take my word on this. If you have a specific concern, you should be able to contact the appropriate authority in your state (i.e. the state you will one day wish to practice in) to determine what the standards of their review board are. My understanding is that people often get extremely vague answers back, but it may serve some use to you.

User avatar
Objection
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:48 am

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby Objection » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:30 pm

I'm thinking Thursday or Friday for the next calls.

User avatar
SparkyLives
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:10 am

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby SparkyLives » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:57 am

KP429 wrote:Alex is already at Yale! Heh.

And the lady I spoke with today hinted that acceptances will start rolling out very, very soon. She said they were just taking care of the December admits first before they moved on to everyone else. Since our binders are to be sent out by week's end (supposedly), I imagine more decisions will be forthcoming in the next couple weeks.


End of the week! Wow...I'm going to be a pathetic slobbering mess all next week while I sit next to the mailbox...again.

User avatar
SparkyLives
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:10 am

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby SparkyLives » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:05 am

LSATahhhh wrote:What did you guys write your 250s about?


It's a whittled down version of my thesis. My PS is a real emotional piece of writing so I tried to throw 250 words in my academic style.

I wish they told you what part of your app they liked and what they didn't. I would like to know how effective certain parts of it were.

User avatar
Objection
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:48 am

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby Objection » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:23 am

KP429 wrote:Alex is already at Yale! Heh.

And the lady I spoke with today hinted that acceptances will start rolling out very, very soon. She said they were just taking care of the December admits first before they moved on to everyone else. Since our binders are to be sent out by week's end (supposedly), I imagine more decisions will be forthcoming in the next couple weeks.


*resumes prayer*

User avatar
SparkyLives
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:10 am

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby SparkyLives » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:31 pm

Objection wrote:
KP429 wrote:Alex is already at Yale! Heh.

And the lady I spoke with today hinted that acceptances will start rolling out very, very soon. She said they were just taking care of the December admits first before they moved on to everyone else. Since our binders are to be sent out by week's end (supposedly), I imagine more decisions will be forthcoming in the next couple weeks.


*resumes prayer*


Good luck, Objection!


On another note. I hope next year's entering class will be a bit more lively than this thread has....*sigh*

KP429
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby KP429 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:15 pm

SparkyLives wrote:
Objection wrote:
KP429 wrote:Alex is already at Yale! Heh.

And the lady I spoke with today hinted that acceptances will start rolling out very, very soon. She said they were just taking care of the December admits first before they moved on to everyone else. Since our binders are to be sent out by week's end (supposedly), I imagine more decisions will be forthcoming in the next couple weeks.


*resumes prayer*


Good luck, Objection!


On another note. I hope next year's entering class will be a bit more lively than this thread has....*sigh*


QFT! It sounded like they admitted a decent bunch of kids in December, but there's hardly any represented on here.

ccw1234
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:05 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby ccw1234 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:16 pm

.
Last edited by ccw1234 on Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SparkyLives
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:10 am

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby SparkyLives » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:09 pm

anyone else finding it difficult to get independent info about YLS other than this site?

I want to soak up as much as I can...just not much out there

User avatar
iagolives
Posts: 687
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby iagolives » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:22 pm

Yeah, besides this site and the Yale Law site itself, there really isn't that much info out there. Perhaps its because there are so few people on the "inside."

Or they're afraid of getting sued... :shock:

KP429
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby KP429 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:01 pm

The funny part is that this thread has received nearly 1000 "views" since my post made yesterday. Plenty were probably made by the same people, but still...

User avatar
rabbit9198
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:29 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby rabbit9198 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:55 am

SparkyLives wrote:anyone else finding it difficult to get independent info about YLS other than this site?

I want to soak up as much as I can...just not much out there


If you aren't already, I'd suggest reading the Student Perspectives blog that the admissions office publishes: http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/stud ... ctives.htm
All of the posters are actual students, and their writings are un-prompted (meaning, they're allowed to write whatever they want), and largely unedited except for grammar and clarity's sake.

I'll also shamelessly plug my own blog (detailing 1L life at YLS by me (all posts by "SB" are mine), and my friend (nom de plume: Cat) who is a 1L at HLS): http://similarlysituated.blogspot.com/

You should also definitely take advantage of the "buddies" that the admissions office will set you up with - everyone who serves as a buddy is a volunteer who WANTS to help you, so don't be shy about asking them for help or advice or for the contact info of another student who might do/be interested in what you want to do/are interested in. :)

User avatar
iagolives
Posts: 687
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby iagolives » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:07 am

rabbit9198 wrote:
SparkyLives wrote:anyone else finding it difficult to get independent info about YLS other than this site?

I want to soak up as much as I can...just not much out there


If you aren't already, I'd suggest reading the Student Perspectives blog that the admissions office publishes: http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/stud ... ctives.htm
All of the posters are actual students, and their writings are un-prompted (meaning, they're allowed to write whatever they want), and largely unedited except for grammar and clarity's sake.

I'll also shamelessly plug my own blog (detailing 1L life at YLS by me (all posts by "SB" are mine), and my friend (nom de plume: Cat) who is a 1L at HLS): http://similarlysituated.blogspot.com/

You should also definitely take advantage of the "buddies" that the admissions office will set you up with - everyone who serves as a buddy is a volunteer who WANTS to help you, so don't be shy about asking them for help or advice or for the contact info of another student who might do/be interested in what you want to do/are interested in. :)


Thanks rabbit, I'll check it out. Though I'm still waiting to hear (like most everyone, I suppose), I already read your blog and really like your posts. Thanks again and keep posting!

PS: If the Yale community is as tight as rumor has it and you happen to be pals with anyone in admissions and/or the reading faculty, feel free to put in a good word for me! ;)

User avatar
SparkyLives
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:10 am

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby SparkyLives » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:45 pm

Thanks for the info Rabbit, I'll check out both blogs.

KP429 wrote:The funny part is that this thread has received nearly 1000 "views" since my post made yesterday. Plenty were probably made by the same people, but still...


yeah, 7,000 views and 150 posts...oh well

User avatar
SparkyLives
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:10 am

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Postby SparkyLives » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:48 pm





Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests