Yale Law School Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
littleboyblue

Bronze

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Post by littleboyblue » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:02 pm

so has anyone read rita's case yet? what did y'all think?

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:45 pm

littleboyblue wrote:so has anyone read rita's case yet? what did y'all think?
eh, I might give it a look tomorrow....I've been busy with move-in stuff, and frankly sort of haven't felt like it anyway.

Robert398

New

Post by Robert398 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:14 pm

zabagabe wrote:Congrats!!

Not to be a downer to the group, but thought I would mention this article, which I think is a fairly interesting take on YLS students. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 03263.html

Also, this one, whose logic I kind of despise, on the cultures of Yale and Harvard as reflected in the management styles of Clinton and Obama: --LinkRemoved--

That first article is interesting but I also know one current YLS student who has assisted me quite selflessly on my applications, as well as an HSP (all three) graduate from whom I had a class in undergrad who has generously agreed to read over some of my essays - in fact, they've been some of the most helpful people I've met

tinman

Bronze

Post by tinman » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:57 pm

Robert398 wrote:
zabagabe wrote:Congrats!!

Not to be a downer to the group, but thought I would mention this article, which I think is a fairly interesting take on YLS students. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 03263.html

Also, this one, whose logic I kind of despise, on the cultures of Yale and Harvard as reflected in the management styles of Clinton and Obama: --LinkRemoved--

That first article is interesting but I also know one current YLS student who has assisted me quite selflessly on my applications, as well as an HSP (all three) graduate from whom I had a class in undergrad who has generously agreed to read over some of my essays - in fact, they've been some of the most helpful people I've met
A few things about YLS that make it particularly nice:
1) the pass/pass first semester makes everyone nice: my small group has a note sharing system; we share books, hints; we are working on our 25-page brief assignment now (it is due next week) and we all met to share ideas and we have an email list to share research and formatting tips.
2) after the first semester you can take pretty much any classes you want. How competitive can you be your second semester if you take four independent-study-type classes and write four papers (no final) about obscure constitutional issues.
3) one thing that is not so nice is writing an article like Rawls did above (first article) denigrating her classmates. One of my 3L friends, who is one of the nicest people I have met, still remembers her for that article. No, it's not good to step on others as you rise to the top.

Joan Manuel Serrat

New

Post by Joan Manuel Serrat » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:00 am

tinman wrote:
A few things about YLS that make it particularly nice:
1) the pass/pass first semester makes everyone nice: my small group has a note sharing system; we share books, hints; we are working on our 25-page brief assignment now (it is due next week) and we all met to share ideas and we have an email list to share research and formatting tips.
Question that I will like resolution to:

i) Do any people have fail grade ever after first semester?
ii) Do the professor give out fail grade?
iii) How much effort must you put in to get the Fail?

I am debated now whether to study the book for torts or no over break. I lean toward the yes side, but maybe I am being to much gunner. Would it be more appropriate to take the examinations cold with no study?

I mean, if they go and give you fail, then you will need to leave the school and they will need to put at least a "1" next to attrition on their profile (assuming one Fail is enough for academics probation), no? I doubting they will give Failure to somebody ever. But maybe there existing at Yale one or two iteration of the Bitch Professor. Who know.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

adi

New

Post by adi » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:34 am

CONGRATS!!!i wish i can be there

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”