Yale Law School Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
masterpinky0509

New

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Post by masterpinky0509 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:51 pm

This should definitely be fun.

I'm still relieved that they forgave me for writing my 250 about how I love watching crime procedurals on television (I sent in my app before becoming a TLS member and realizing that Yale actually cared about that part of the app!).

aci

New

Post by aci » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:30 am

Hello everyone, I got the acceptance email from Craig earlier today. I applied in mid-Jan., so the turnaround's quite amazing.

Am looking forward to seeing TLS people at the ASW.

kalessebo

New

Post by kalessebo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:15 am

Aci: Congrats! Are you abroad? (Just curious about notification by e-mail.)

Everyone (This is sort of cross-posted from the HLS thread): I had a long phone chat a few days ago with a prof who has taught at Yale and Harvard. We talked almost solely about choosing between the two, specifically from the perspective of someone interested in academia.

It was a balanced discussion, leaving me torn between the schools, but the more I go over it in my head, the more I'm convinced that it would be silly not to go to Yale.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, I'd be happy to PM the gist of the call.

Edit: To those who have already asked for a run-down, I promise I'll get that to you in the next day or two!

franfair

New

Post by franfair » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:55 am

Last edited by franfair on Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dueprocess14

Bronze

Post by dueprocess14 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:57 pm

Congrats guys!! I'm getting really excited for YLS ASW and I'm visiting next week just to get a bit of a preview. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

franfair

New

Post by franfair » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:15 pm

Last edited by franfair on Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dueprocess14

Bronze

Post by dueprocess14 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:16 pm

franfair wrote:
zabagabe wrote:Congrats guys!! I'm getting really excited for YLS ASW and I'm visiting next week just to get a bit of a preview. :)
I'm jealous. I wish I wasn't so far away. The end of April can't get here soon enough.
I'll be sure to post my thoughts when I'm done - I'm also going to NYU and Harvard the same week so there should be an information dump!

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:53 pm

Did everybody receive an email from the financial aid office?

I'm wondering because I've already submitted my FAFSA/NeedAccess and am hoping this is a mass email as opposed to one sent to me because they haven't received my information. :?

abenn07

New

Post by abenn07 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:25 pm

SparkyLives, I got the message too, and I also already submitted both the FAFSA and Need Access. (I was hoping Yale was already processing my financial aid application!) I think it probably was just a general e-mail, but I wrote back asking for confirmation that I don't need to submit anything else. I'll post anything important I get in response.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:26 pm

abenn07 wrote:SparkyLives, I got the message too, and I also already submitted both the FAFSA and Need Access. (I was hoping Yale was already processing my financial aid application!) I think it probably was just a general e-mail, but I wrote back asking for confirmation that I don't need to submit anything else. I'll post anything important I get in response.
Thank you, they received a similar email from me. I thought it was my award at first :D

franfair

New

Post by franfair » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:13 pm

Last edited by franfair on Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:08 pm

Yay! They are finally doing the JD/MBA Accelerated this year. :P

littleboyblue

Bronze

Post by littleboyblue » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:23 am

Jwatson wrote:Yay! They are finally doing the JD/MBA Accelerated this year. :P
If its pretty expensive, I'd think twice about signing up for this program. An MBA from Yale is not going to get you a lot of mileage. If this is something you really want to to do (and most likely want to go into business) then I would aim for Harvard, Stanford or Penn/Wharton.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

abenn07

New

Post by abenn07 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:15 am

Good financial aid news! Pat Barnes says award letters should start going out by e-mail this week.

franfair

New

Post by franfair » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Last edited by franfair on Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:59 pm

littleboyblue wrote:
If its pretty expensive, I'd think twice about signing up for this program. An MBA from Yale is not going to get you a lot of mileage. If this is something you really want to to do (and most likely want to go into business) then I would aim for Harvard, Stanford or Penn/Wharton.

I was thinking about doing it with Wharton, does anyone know if Yale allows such joint program?

littleboyblue

Bronze

Post by littleboyblue » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:07 pm

Jwatson wrote:
littleboyblue wrote:

I was thinking about doing it with Wharton, does anyone know if Yale allows such joint program?
My guess is that you would not get any credit for classes taken at Wharton - but that is just a guess.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

abenn07

New

Post by abenn07 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:16 pm

franfair wrote:
abenn07 wrote:Good financial aid news! Pat Barnes says award letters should start going out by e-mail this week.
All we needed to submit was the FAFSA and the Need Access, right? No copies of tax returns or anything like that?
Right. As I understand it, we're just getting preliminary award offers at this point, and they will ask for documentation later, before they finalize the offers.

rabbit9198

Bronze

Post by rabbit9198 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:07 pm

Jwatson wrote:
littleboyblue wrote:

From the web site: On a case-by-case basis, the Law School has permitted students to pursue joint degrees with relevant programs in other universities [in addition to at Woodrow Wilson at Princeton, which is the example] as well.

http://www.law.yale.edu/academics/jointdegrees.asp

My guess would be that, given the now-two JD/MBA options at Yale, you might need to prove why you'd have to go to Wharton to get what you want (in other words, there'd be a comparatively high bar in order for them to approve the program - the joint degrees I know of with other schools tend to be in areas where Yale has very little expertise and no formal school, i.e. public policy and education). There's an individualized application process that you can do 1L or 2L year.

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:12 pm

rabbit9198 wrote:
Jwatson wrote:
littleboyblue wrote:

From the web site: On a case-by-case basis, the Law School has permitted students to pursue joint degrees with relevant programs in other universities [in addition to at Woodrow Wilson at Princeton, which is the example] as well.

http://www.law.yale.edu/academics/jointdegrees.asp

My guess would be that, given the now-two JD/MBA options at Yale, you might need to prove why you'd have to go to Wharton to get what you want (in other words, there'd be a comparatively high bar in order for them to approve the program - the joint degrees I know of with other schools tend to be in areas where Yale has very little expertise and no formal school, i.e. public policy and education). There's an individualized application process that you can do 1L or 2L year.
Thanks for the info. Has anyone met Asha yet?

KP429

Bronze

Post by KP429 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:14 pm

For those who attended the program today -- impressions, thoughts?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

masterpinky0509

New

Post by masterpinky0509 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:26 pm

Hey, on the financial aid side: for the FAFSA, the school code provided by YLS is the generic code for Yale University, correct?

All the other schools I am still considering had separate codes for the university as a whole and the Law School specifically, but Yale does not seem to make this division (I searched Connecticut schools named Yale and found its business school and the university as a whole, but not the law school specifically).

franfair

New

Post by franfair » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:06 am

Last edited by franfair on Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alexb240

Bronze

Post by alexb240 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:01 am

Congrats future YLSers!

So, rabbit, how go the admissions tours? ;-)

dueprocess14

Bronze

Post by dueprocess14 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:46 am

Ok, the first day I was definitely skeptical, but after a bar review with a bunch of Yalies, I think I'm pretty sold. We'll see what HLS has in store this weekend, but it's definitely going to be an uphill battle. :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”