Yale Law School Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
bgc

Bronze

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Post by bgc » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:00 pm

With Yale's application review process, they need to limit apps in various ways. There is no way the faculty can (or should) review 10k packages a year.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:55 pm

Happy 2009! We here at 203 enjoyed our long winter break and now we're back reading files, admitting students, and writing blog posts.
From Yale's 203 blog yesterday night.

Expect the next batch of offers this week, I'd guess.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:39 pm

great. Now I have one more reason to be an insomnic, lol.

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:51 pm

SparkyLives wrote:
watch4hook wrote:Are people not applying because they don't want to go there or because they think they can't get in?

I think a lot of people who might get in don't apply because they don't think they will be able to get accepted...

Or is the 250 that makes people hesitant?
If people are willing to shell out close to 500 bucks, take a four hour exam, chase down professors for LORs, and write a two page personal statement...I really hope a little 250 word spiel isn't stopping them from applying to the best law school in the country.
"The best law school in the country"?

Do you guys really believe this? :lol:

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:52 am

OperaAttorney wrote:
SparkyLives wrote:
watch4hook wrote:Are people not applying because they don't want to go there or because they think they can't get in?

I think a lot of people who might get in don't apply because they don't think they will be able to get accepted...

If people are willing to shell out close to 500 bucks, take a four hour exam, chase down professors for LORs, and write a two page personal statement...I really hope a little 250 word spiel isn't stopping them from applying to the best law school in the country.

What's wrong with that? Is it absurd to believe? It's just an opinion.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

teachlearn

New

Post by teachlearn » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:00 am

Maybe people don't want to spend three years in New Haven...

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:09 am

OperaAttorney wrote:
SparkyLives wrote:

I am not so sure why that is a crazy statement. Even while ignoring the USN&WR rankings completely, that argument could still be made very compellingly.

It is ok to disagree with it, but to believe that there is no way someone could hold that opinion means you have blinders on.

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:04 am

Bosque wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:
SparkyLives wrote:

I am not so sure why that is a crazy statement. Even while ignoring the USN&WR rankings completely, that argument could still be made very compellingly.

It is ok to disagree with it, but to believe that there is no way someone could hold that opinion means you have blinders on.
Truthfully, I was being cheeky when I made that post. That said, I'm not here to poohpooh Yale, even though I think calling it the best law school in the country is stretching the truth. And that's not because I'm not getting in ;).

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:59 pm

How is it stretching the truth? Leiter and USNWR rankings have it as number one. Even the community's rankings have it at number one. (see TLS rankings)

So how in the world is it stretching the truth?

Truthfully, what the hell are you doing in a YLS 2012 thread if all you're going to do is tell people who've been accepted that their school isn't all that good. That is obnoxious. :roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:56 pm

SparkyLives wrote:How is it stretching the truth? Leiter and USNWR rankings have it as number one. Even the community's rankings have it at number one. (see TLS rankings)

Truthfully, what the hell are you doing in a YLS 2012 thread if all you're going to do is tell people who've been accepted that their school isn't all that good. That is obnoxious. :roll:
Dear SparkyLives,

Your "righteous" indignation is unnecessary and, quite frankly, amusing. Where's your sense of humor? As a veteran member of TLS, I think I've earned the right to share my thoughts in any thread. I acknowledge that Yale is an amazingly great law school and that it deserves topnotch accolades. I also harbor admiration for two accomplished TLS members--Ataraxia and Alexb240--who are now 1Ls at Yale. Among other things, however, I embrace the delusion (as many might opine) that rankings are rigged in one respect or another :). Which is why I raised the question earlier.

Chill out!

OperaAttorney
Last edited by OperaAttorney on Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geoff2o0o

New

Post by geoff2o0o » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:06 pm

Last edited by geoff2o0o on Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:26 pm

As a whole, Yale opens wide more doors in more fields than any other law school.

That's the only thing that should matter in an "objective" ranking of law schools.

littleboyblue

Bronze

Post by littleboyblue » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:06 pm

did you all get your binder today? what did you think? i didn't like how in some places they compared themselves to other schools - sort of putting other schools down. why not just explain how things are and why they do things the way they do. don't need to mention that other schools do things differently. i felt like there was a lot more about student life in the YLS binder the HLS binder which may or may not be indiciative of the school philosphy. but overall is pretty interesting stuff.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ccw1234

New

Post by ccw1234 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:12 pm

Last edited by ccw1234 on Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:14 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
SparkyLives wrote:How is it stretching the truth? Leiter and USNWR rankings have it as number one. Even the community's rankings have it at number one. (see TLS rankings)

Dear SparkyLives,

Your "righteous" indignation is unnecessary and, quite frankly, amusing. Where's your sense of humor? As a veteran member of TLS, I think I've earned the right to share my thoughts in any thread. I acknowledge that Yale is an amazingly great law school and that it deserves topnotch accolades. I also harbor admiration for two accomplished TLS members--Ataraxia and Alexb240--who are now 1Ls at Yale. Among other things, however, I embrace the delusion (as many might opine) that rankings are rigged in one respect or another :). Which is why I raised the question earlier.

Chill out!

OperaAttorney
I didn't mean to insinuate that you didn't have a right to post where you wanted, only that I didn't understand why someone would come and criticize an opinion as unfounded when I believe the opinion is grounded in at least some fact. And your posts didn't come off as humorous jabs, more like disbelief that anyone would think that.

So I apologize for the perceived over reaction.

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:14 pm

ccw1234 wrote:yay, the binder! Thank you littleboyblue for making my trip to the mailbox a more ceremonious affair today. I'll report back after a long-awaited perusal (if only so this thread can continue to have life).
littleboyblue wrote:did you all get your binder today? what did you think? i didn't like how in some places they compared themselves to other schools - sort of putting other schools down. why not just explain how things are and why they do things the way they do. don't need to mention that other schools do things differently. i felt like there was a lot more about student life in the YLS binder the HLS binder which may or may not be indiciative of the school philosphy. but overall is pretty interesting stuff.
No binder for me. :cry:

Do they send you something cool?

littleboyblue

Bronze

Post by littleboyblue » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:45 pm

SparkyLives wrote: No binder for me. :cry:

Do they send you something cool?
there is nothing really cool that comes with it - sorry.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:55 pm

Damn economy.

SleekFire

Bronze

Post by SleekFire » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:52 pm

Any news???

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:40 pm

...no, sorry.

Waiting (im)patiently though...

BTW, as someone who will probably never see one, I'm curious. What color is the binder? Blue?

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:47 pm

It's clearly the most selective law school, places the best in clerkships in academia, places the best at truly selective firms... what's the question, OperaAttorney? Or is this going to devolve into another round of "I have a right to my unsubstantiated opinion"?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:07 pm

mallard wrote:It's clearly the most selective law school, places the best in clerkships in academia, places the best at truly selective firms... what's the question, OperaAttorney? Or is this going to devolve into another round of "I have a right to my unsubstantiated opinion"?
Oh my goodness, Mallard. Sparky and I already had a little fun. Drop it! :lol:

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:23 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
mallard wrote:It's clearly the most selective law school, places the best in clerkships in academia, places the best at truly selective firms... what's the question, OperaAttorney? Or is this going to devolve into another round of "I have a right to my unsubstantiated opinion"?
Sorry, I wasn't invited to the party. I feel left out.

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:28 pm

mallard wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:
Sorry, I wasn't invited to the party. I feel left out.
There was no party. We just met for tea. I had green, s/he had Earl Grey.

littleboyblue

Bronze

Post by littleboyblue » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:29 pm

iagolives wrote:...no, sorry.

Waiting (im)patiently though...

BTW, as someone who will probably never see one, I'm curious. What color is the binder? Blue?
if you are really curious, then yes it is blue with a big Y and the words Yale Law School underneath.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”