Yale Law School Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
constellationx

New

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Post by constellationx » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:43 pm

totalidiot wrote:Ha, I feel like this thread has died :P
Yeah, where is everyone?

Have any of you heard more about ASW and/or heard from your host yet? Btw, the forecast is looking good for Thursday-Saturday in New Haven. Yay!

abenn07

New

Post by abenn07 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:21 pm

constellationx wrote:Have any of you heard more about ASW and/or heard from your host yet?
I still haven't heard anything about the arrangements.

Then again, I haven't heard back from my student "buddy" either. Maybe my questions were too hard . . .

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:30 pm

Yeah, I haven't heard from my Yale buddy. Or my room assignment for ASW. Or from financial aid.

Ha, I should probably call them sometime tomorrow to see where I'm at. I'd like to turn in my deposit and such at the ASW (maybe on Thursday during the day or something).

bgc

Bronze

Post by bgc » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:07 pm

I just heard from my host for the ASP. There is movement on that front.

I heard from my buddy about a week and a half after admission. I had my financial aid offer in less than a week. I was a late applicant but not in the final push, which seems to have been significantly larger, so YMMV.

bgc

Bronze

Post by bgc » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:10 pm

Also, I posted this in the facebook group but thought I'd duplicate it here.

I am driving down from Boston on wednesday, returning (probably) on saturday. I have at least one extra seat in my car, so PM me if you want a lift.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sandpiper

New

Post by sandpiper » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:30 pm

We actually just got an e-mail saying that they were almost there with hosts for ASW - so e-mails should be coming on that front post haste.

sandpiper

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:37 pm

sandpiper wrote:We actually just got an e-mail saying that they were almost there with hosts for ASW - so e-mails should be coming on that front post haste.

sandpiper
Thanks for the update, sandpiper--good to know!

constellationx

New

Post by constellationx » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:41 pm

Yep, I heard from my student host this evening too. Heyguys, I heard from my buddy about two weeks after admission and got financial aid within a few days, but like bgc, I was admitted a few weeks ago. You'll hear from them soon!

franfair

New

Post by franfair » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:47 am

Last edited by franfair on Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rabbit9198

Bronze

Post by rabbit9198 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:06 am

franfair wrote:I just checked the weather, and it says it is going to be in the low 70s in New Haven on Friday and Saturday. Hooray!

I am getting in during the afternoon on Thursday. Does anyone know if I can still register then? The schedule says registration is in the morning, and then nothing (other than class visits) until the welcome at 4:15. If I get there at 3ish, can I just show up at the welcome?
Yup, you can register well into the afternoon...I think students are staffing the table until 6:30, so you should be fine. The school's a super-small place, so you'll figure out pretty quickly where the action is if for some reason you get here late.

franfair

New

Post by franfair » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:14 am

Last edited by franfair on Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bgc

Bronze

Post by bgc » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:25 pm

The links at the bottom of the facebook page are working again. The admitted students site now has an updated course schedule. It is much easier to use for finding thursday classes.

constellationx

New

Post by constellationx » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:43 pm

Thanks rabbit and bgc!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:11 pm

Argh! So many cool classes begin at 4, right when the welcome begins!

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:34 pm

Looking forward to the upcoming ASW. Because of circumstances out of my control, this is the only ASW I will be able to attend, so hopefully it impresses and my decision won't be tortured.

For those starting to look at their loan applications, is your link to alternative lenders at the Yale website broken? Is there another place I can get the list of alternative lenders? It's a little frustrating....

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:38 pm

SparkyLives wrote:Looking forward to the upcoming ASW. Because of circumstances out of my control, this is the only ASW I will be able to attend, so hopefully it impresses and my decision won't be tortured.

For those starting to look at their loan applications, is your link to alternative lenders at the Yale website broken? Is there another place I can get the list of alternative lenders? It's a little frustrating....

Hmm, my list of primary lenders worked fine. I'll pm you.

On my loan apps, it has the amount that I am expected to contribute to my education (i.e. parental contribution, savings contribution, summer contribution) subtracted along with my grant award from my loan totals. Am I correct in assuming that I can add back the expected contribution that I am supposed to make to GradPLUS loans, allowing me to finance entirely by loans and scholarship (since my folks won't be contributing anything, I don't have the money anyway)?

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:51 pm

I think that is correct heyguys---at least that's how I understand the wording...

What I'm wondering is whether you can use the GradPlus loans for the "Estimated Alternative Loans" line in our award.

My award looks like this:

Sub Stafford:
Un Stafford:
Estimated Alternative Loan:

^----Can I just throw all this into GradPlus? :? It's unclear.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rabbit9198

Bronze

Post by rabbit9198 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:56 pm

SparkyLives wrote:I think that is correct heyguys---at least that's how I understand the wording...

What I'm wondering is whether you can use the GradPlus loans for the "Estimated Alternative Loans" line in our award.

My award looks like this:

Sub Stafford:
Un Stafford:
Estimated Alternative Loan:

^----Can I just throw all this into GradPlus? :? It's unclear.
Yup, heyguys, you can take out loans to cover your Estimated Contribution. I did it last year, and it worked just fine.

"Estimated Alternative Loan" can be GradPLUS...or you could do a private loan (but probably not the easiest to get/best option in this economic climate?).

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:58 pm

It's too bad they got rid of the "weight" feature on TLS Rabbit---you would have a ridiculous amount of it from this thread alone!

Thanks a lot!

sandpiper

New

Post by sandpiper » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:15 pm

rabbit9198 wrote:
Yup, heyguys, you can take out loans to cover your Estimated Contribution. I did it last year, and it worked just fine.

"Estimated Alternative Loan" can be GradPLUS...or you could do a private loan (but probably not the easiest to get/best option in this economic climate?).
ditto what rabbit said but with the caveat that private loans are sometimes better for some people - so be sure to explore all the different options (fixed rates, floating rates, repayment plans, etc...). yeah the economy isn't hot, but interest rates are at all time low and i can't think of a safer loan than for yls :)

also, anyone have any questions about the upcoming asw? classes to go to? classes to avoid?

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:27 pm

sandpiper wrote: classes to avoid?

Ha, are there any in particular to avoid??

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

constellationx

New

Post by constellationx » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:30 pm

sandpiper wrote: also, anyone have any questions about the upcoming asw? classes to go to? classes to avoid?
Yes, I would love to hear about which classes would be good to attend/ what to expect out of ASW in general. Thanks!

sandpiper

New

Post by sandpiper » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:45 pm

heyguys wrote:Ha, are there any in particular to avoid??
Well you mentioned that there were a bunch of classes you were interested in at 4 on Thursday and I've heard that Education and the Law (which meets then) may not be the most thrilling or representative course at YLS. It's taught by an Emeritus professor who is the sweetest man on the face of the Earth - he's paying, likely out of his own pocket, for anyone who wanted to in the class to go to the Supreme Court for the strip search argument tomorrow morning - and has literally been teaching the class since a few years after Brown v. Board of Education was handed down (that is not an exaggeration). He's the type of person that makes YLS such an awesome place, but apparently the lectures lack a little zip when the class isn't discussing the topic of the day.

That being said, everyone in the class really loves him and it may be interesting to hear about the classes trip to SCOTUS.

So in short, heyguys, not really...

sandpiper

New

Post by sandpiper » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:57 pm

constellationx wrote: Yes, I would love to hear about which classes would be good to attend/ what to expect out of ASW in general. Thanks!
As for other classes to attend? The mock class with Heather Gerken should be fantastic. Jed Rubenfeld's crim class is supposed to be really entertaintaining (here is on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EseFlhAPK4). IP with Pasquale is supposed to be good (he uses powerpoints with some of the most insane clipart you have ever seen). Property with Ellickson is one of those classes that people say you "have" to take while at YLS...That's all I have off of the top of my head.

General expectations out of ASW? I found it be very under-scheduled which gives you plenty of time to meet the people who may (and hopefully will) be your perspective classmates. It's also a good opportunity to ask anything you want out of current students and truly get an honest opinion. There's plenty of time to explore the school, the surrounding area, go look at apartments, etc... And of course, the panels, classes, etc are all pretty great too. Also we are going to feed you at pretty much every turn. So you have that going for you, which is nice...

iowajake

New

Carpool to Yale ASW?

Post by iowajake » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:46 pm

Trying to make last-minute travel arrangements to ASW.

Anybody want to carpool from a nearby airport late Wednesday night? JFK, LaGuardia, Newark, Harftford, etc.

If interested, please send me a note with your name, email, and phone number.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”