Yale Law School Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
iagolives

Silver

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Post by iagolives » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:51 pm

ccw1234 wrote:shuchong, I am always interested in hearing people's impressions of Accepted Student Days, so please share!

Welcome constellationx! Keep the thread alive... April 23-25 is so far away.
Lol, not to those of us still waiting on the "other" (i.e. the waiting room) Yale thread. But yes, please post about the Monday program. I'd be very interested to see what you think!

heartbreaker

New

Post by heartbreaker » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:28 pm

-
Last edited by heartbreaker on Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abenn07

New

Post by abenn07 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:29 pm

constellationx wrote:Hi! I'm joining this group. Got the call yesterday evening. Are most of you set on Yale by now?
Congratulations to you and all the other recent admits!

I am actually leaning toward HLS; I fell in love with the school and with Cambridge and Boston during the ASW. I am doing my best to keep an open mind for the YLS program in April, though. Anyone else not favoring Yale?

jubileeez

New

Post by jubileeez » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:56 pm

constellationx wrote:Hi! I'm joining this group. Got the call yesterday evening. Are most of you set on Yale by now?
congrats, constellationx! i hope you'll join us.

ill be mailing in my deposit tomorrow. and yeah, heartbreaker, it certainly does feel great to be decided!! has anyone looked into housing yet?

heartbreaker

New

Post by heartbreaker » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:15 pm

-
Last edited by heartbreaker on Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

alexb240

Bronze

Post by alexb240 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:17 pm

P.S. I walk to the grocery store and back every weekend. It's relatively easy to do so.

P.P.S. rabbit is the best tour guide ever.

jubileeez

New

Post by jubileeez » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:33 pm

heartbreaker wrote:I've started to look into studios and 1 bedrooms. I think I decided to go ahead and live by myself, at least for the first year. I figure that I'll be spending so much time at school and in meetings throughout the day, that it would be nice to come home and not be distracted.
that's a good point. im torn between living by myself and getting a roommate, because i'm an only child and used to having space and time to myself, but at the same time, im also not one who would just go out and party, so i feel that it might be nice to have someone around to get me to be less of a hermit, lol. a current student told me about an apartment building where 40% of yls students live, so im thinking a studio/1bdr there might be the best compromise.

alexb240

Bronze

Post by alexb240 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:39 pm

I have a studio in that very building. A goodly number of students live here (40% strikes me as high, but not as extremely so), which makes socializing quite easy. It's a little expensive (in my humble (and impoverished) opinion), but you are paying for location and convenience.

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:04 pm

I've decided to live with other students, I figured I don't really want to be alone in new haven. 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

constellationx

New

Post by constellationx » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:17 pm

Thanks for the congrats! I'll see you all at the ASW!

rabbit9198

Bronze

Post by rabbit9198 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:20 pm

alexb240 wrote: P.P.S. rabbit is the best tour guide ever.
Why thank you! And to think, such praise when you haven't even heard my corny tour jokes! :P

alexb240

Bronze

Post by alexb240 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:25 pm

I'll have to join the tour sometime. I still can't navigate the law school (or New Haven, for that matter).

masterpinky0509

New

Post by masterpinky0509 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:34 pm

alexb240 wrote:I have a studio in that very building. A goodly number of students live here (40% strikes me as high, but not as extremely so), which makes socializing quite easy. It's a little expensive (in my humble (and impoverished) opinion), but you are paying for location and convenience.
Hey, what building is this?

A friend and I just committed last week, so we started looking for 2-bedroom apartments close to the law school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

KP429

Bronze

Post by KP429 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:46 pm

I believe it's the New Haven Towers, but I could be wrong. It's downtown and 3-4 blocks from the law school. I'm thinking of getting a 2BR/BA there if possible. I wonder if many are available...

dueprocess14

Bronze

Post by dueprocess14 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:47 pm

Alex and Rabbit, do you think there's a risk of things filling up before the ASW? I have an awful feeling I'll still be making up my mind until then but want to know if I should start looking at housing anyway... Thanks! :)

alexb240

Bronze

Post by alexb240 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:00 am

I live in Madison Tower, which is one of the buildings owned by New Haven Towers Associates.

I found my place over ASW, so you needn't worry about locking something up before then. I would suggest, however, doing your research (and arranging tours/meetings) so that you can sign for a place while you're here (that's what I did, anyway).

P.S. rabbit, what gangs did you bid on?

Severa

New

Post by Severa » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:15 am

Hi all, I just received notice of my acceptance and just now sent in both my FAFSA and need access...will this seriously hurt my chances of getting at least some aid (i really need it...which theyll see if they actually look at my parents income and my lack thereof).

Also, I was wondering if anyone know if there has ever been a yalie answering questions on this site (or any other for that matter). Finally, can anyone make any recommendations about where to live--ie. is off campus really worth it? and, conversely, is on-campus any kind of advantage, if so, which are the better residence halls?

Thanks so much guys, really appreciate your help!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rabbit9198

Bronze

Post by rabbit9198 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:28 am

zabagabe wrote:Alex and Rabbit, do you think there's a risk of things filling up before the ASW? I have an awful feeling I'll still be making up my mind until then but want to know if I should start looking at housing anyway... Thanks! :)
Alex's advice is good if you already know you're going to be coming to YLS, and especially if you're not going to be able to make another trip to New Haven to pick out housing. BUT, if you a) haven't chosen yet or b) might be coming back at some later point, there's no "ZOMG you have to find housing during the ASW!" panic to worry about. I didn't pick a place till late May, and I did it through the YLS 2011 Facebook group. Other people played the odds and didn't pick a place till July/August...they had a different (smaller) pool of places to choose from, but some of them got good deals (though not in the main, big Towers buildings as much as in smaller buildings in other areas). There is *definitely* no need to pick housing before the ASW.
alexb240 wrote: P.S. rabbit, what gangs did you bid on?
I'm a proud supporter of the High Street Hoodlums. You?
Severa wrote:Hi all, I just received notice of my acceptance and just now sent in both my FAFSA and need access...will this seriously hurt my chances of getting at least some aid (i really need it...which theyll see if they actually look at my parents income and my lack thereof).

Also, I was wondering if anyone know if there has ever been a yalie answering questions on this site (or any other for that matter). Finally, can anyone make any recommendations about where to live--ie. is off campus really worth it? and, conversely, is on-campus any kind of advantage, if so, which are the better residence halls?

Congratulations!

Quick answers (because I haven't yet started tonight's homework reading yet):
* Most likely, you'll still get financial aid. Pat Barnes is a sweetheart.
* Alex and I are both current 1Ls, and there are a few other current YLS students floating around here, too.
* There currently isn't really on-campus housing available; while a couple people live in Yale-owned dorms & apartments (shared with other grad students), almost everyone lives off-campus.

KP429

Bronze

Post by KP429 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:48 am

Severa wrote:Hi all, I just received notice of my acceptance and just now sent in both my FAFSA and need access...will this seriously hurt my chances of getting at least some aid (i really need it...which theyll see if they actually look at my parents income and my lack thereof).

Congratulations, Severa!

As I just learned, Yale caps need-based finaid at 30k so you'll likely be paying, at a minimum, 35k. That said, you will likely qualify for the 30k judging from the tone of your post. Will money be a huge factor for you?

Severa

New

Post by Severa » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:54 am

KP429 wrote:

Congratulations, Severa!

As I just learned, Yale caps need-based finaid at 30k so you'll likely be paying, at a minimum, 35k. That said, you will likely qualify for the 30k judging from the tone of your post. Will money be a huge factor for you?
Thanks so much! As for money, tts definitely a factor--I'd be a fool not to take it into consideration, especially with how expensive New Haven can get. I really had no idea that housing would be so costly.

That said, I am really worried that I might not even qualify for the 30k "cap" because of the lag in my application... :( any advice?
Also, I just saw Alex's 1L post and feel slightly (ok very) dumb in having asked whether there had been any yalie posters taking q's...ah well, live and learn....

dueprocess14

Bronze

Post by dueprocess14 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:10 am

Hey Severa, congrats! I would be seriously surprised if your need-based offer would be affected by when you submitted. The only risk I foresee you running is having to wait until close to the deadline to hear back. However, since Pat Barnes is divine (and because Yale has so few admits in general), my guess is you'll get it in about two weeks. I think at this point she's probably processed (and in some cases re-processed) most everyone who has been admitted already. Also! Once you get your offer, if you get a better need-based offer from another school, be sure to bring it back to her. Several people, myself included, got better offers by doing this (usually it's Stanford that offers better aid).

And thanks for the housing info, 1Ls! Any reason why people tend to avoid living in university-owned housing? Is it more expensive/crappier/farther away??

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Cartwright4

New

Post by Cartwright4 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:50 am

Hey guys, quick question for the current Yale law students:

In your anecdotal experience and what you've heard, does financial aid get less generous for 2L and 3L than for 1L? How heavily are summer earnings made during law school summers, particularly at a firm, deducted from your financial aid?

I'm asking because Yale gave me a pretty generous first-year financial aid package, but I want to get a feel for how this might change over the other two years.

Cartwright4

New

Post by Cartwright4 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:52 am

Oh, and btw, if you want to see an outrageously unbalanced article about (former) Dean Koh in the NYPost, here goes:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03302009/po ... 161961.htm

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:38 am

Cartwright4 wrote:Oh, and btw, if you want to see an outrageously unbalanced article about (former) Dean Koh in the NYPost, here goes:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03302009/po ... 161961.htm
Meghan Clyne, the author, is just silly :lol:.

rabbit9198

Bronze

Post by rabbit9198 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:51 am

Cartwright4 wrote:Hey guys, quick question for the current Yale law students:

In your anecdotal experience and what you've heard, does financial aid get less generous for 2L and 3L than for 1L? How heavily are summer earnings made during law school summers, particularly at a firm, deducted from your financial aid?

I'm asking because Yale gave me a pretty generous first-year financial aid package, but I want to get a feel for how this might change over the other two years.
I haven't gotten my award for next year yet (our deadline to submit tax info isn't till April 15th), but from what I've heard, not much changes in later years.

Summer earnings at Yale are "penalized" more so than at some other schools (notably, Stanford, which I think takes 57% of your earnings). Here, anything above $6,000 is seen as "available" for paying for school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”