Yale Law School Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
thepolynomial

New

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Post by thepolynomial » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:28 am

KP429 wrote: As far as dorms go, I didn't get to see any of them b/c I wasn't sure exactly where law students resided. I couldn't get a straight answer from the few people I asked so I assume a lot of the students live off-campus.
Hey, KP, congrats on getting in! There currently aren't any YLS dorms...there were in the past and there may be in the future, but there aren't now. I think there may be one or two students who live on campus in grad dorms, but it really isn't much more than one or two. Almost everyone lives off campus, and the vast majority live either downtown (right around campus) or in East Rock (a little bit north). There are two buildings downtown called the Towers that people sometime refer to as the Law School Dorms, because a ridiculous percentage of law students live there. Cool beans...

Oh, and like Rabbit, I'm happy to answer questions about YLS, especially while I'm on break and have little work to do. :)

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:29 am

That's a little disappointing re: dorms. I guess it doesn't matter all that much when the school is so small.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:33 am

Objection wrote:So I ran some numbers from LSN for those of us who applied early and are still waiting (and hoping). The news is a mixed bag.

Since 2003, there are 20 accepted applicants listed on LSN with an October complete date.

14/20 (70%) heard in December
5/20 (25%) heard in January
1/20 (5) heard after January (I believe this person heard early February).

The good for October completes (of which I am one)?
- There is still a decent chance of a January acceptance.
- Many accepted applicants (particularly early on in LSN's life) didn't list complete dates. If anyone wants to go through and crunch the numbers by sent dates, that might paint a slightly better picture
- The wait for those of us for whom not knowing is the hardest part - 1 more month and then we can stop stressing over YLS

The bad?
- Well, we didn't hear in December like 70% of early applicants do.
- A relatively small sample size makes it hard to know how well these %s hold up for the entire applicant pool. In both the 03/04 and 06/07 cycles, there are no accepted October applicants listed (which I find hard to believe).

The news is considerably better for you November completes.

Since 2003, there are 41 accepted applicants listed on LSN with a November complete date.

15/41 (37%) heard in December
16/41 (39%) heard in January
10/41 (24%) heard after January (mostly February, although a few in March)

The good?
- 63% hear after December

The bad?
- Your waits have just begun.

Hope this helps some of my fellow worriers out there somehow.
I'm impressed with the data. Thanks! As a fellow Octoberer, I didn't realize that 70% were admitted in December on LSN. I thought the number was a lot lower. I almost just wish schools called and said, "Hey, you didn't get in, better luck next time" so everyone involved could move on, you know?

Anyway, who knows, maybe we are still in from a special surprise from Santa, yeah?

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:35 am

poly--

So js the added cost of living outside of a dorm is considered in the financial award then? Are you expected to room with somebody as far as financial award goes, or are you awarded based on market value of a small apartment?

I'm in a situation where I can't use dorms, so this is relatively welcome news.

Objection-

Yale seems to be the one with the smallest amount of data on LSN. I'm a liberal arts major, but I do know that small sample sizes account for bad data! I would try not to get too dejected about those numbers. :D

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:48 am

It seems the December acceptances always stop the Thursday or Friday before Christmas, although in 2005 there was one guy who reported a 12/29 acceptance (although I am betting that he just put the date he heard, not the date they actually made the decision).

The good news for us, however, is that once January comes and goes, we can stop worrying about YLS. One more month. I think we can do it.

Furthermore, the acceptance dates for the October/January folks:

1/14/05

1/6/06
1/6/06
1/12/06

1/13/08

All within the first two weeks of January.

(FWIW, the one "October"/beyond January applicant is actually a September-complete (9/27) that I included in October because I was too lazy to make a new category; he was deferred 2/15, but accepted 2/17).
Objection-

Yale seems to be the one with the smallest amount of data on LSN. I'm a liberal arts major, but I do know that small sample sizes account for bad data! I would try not to get too dejected about those numbers.
Obviously, but it's something to at least give those of us still waiting some sort of timeline.
Last edited by Objection on Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thepolynomial

New

Post by thepolynomial » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:48 am

SparkyLives wrote:poly--

So js the added cost of living outside of a dorm is considered in the financial award then? Are you expected to room with somebody as far as financial award goes, or are you awarded based on market value of a small apartment?
I'm pretty sure rent is included in the student budget. See here. You don't need to have a roommate.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:54 am

Objection wrote:It seems the December acceptances always stop the Thursday or Friday before Christmas, although in 2005 there was one guy who reported a 12/29 acceptance (although I am betting that he just put the date he heard, not the date they actually made the decision).

The good news for us, however, is that once January comes and goes, we can stop worrying about YLS. One more month. I think we can do it.

Furthermore, the acceptance dates for the October/January folks:

1/14/05

1/6/06
1/6/06
1/12/06

1/13/08

All within the first two weeks of January.

(FWIW, the one "October"/beyond January applicant is actually a September-complete (9/27) that I included in October because I was too lazy to make a new category; he was deferred 2/15, but accepted 2/17).
Yeah, I will keep myself occupied with a blend of my thesis and holiday cheer until then. Good luck! It'll be over soon, I suppose.

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:10 pm

I received the official acceptance letter a little while ago. It's dated 12/18 and says the binder will come "in a few weeks".

Anybody want to place bets on when? :D

comeback

New

Post by comeback » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:26 am

We should guess what kind of goodies they're going to send us. Did they send a nice coffee mug last year?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

watch4hook

New

Post by watch4hook » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:03 am

SparkyLives wrote:I received the official acceptance letter a little while ago. It's dated 12/18 and says the binder will come "in a few weeks".

Did you get it in the mail or email? I still haven't heard anything since the phone call...

KP429

Bronze

Post by KP429 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:17 am

I, too, received an official letter congratulating me sometime right before XMas.

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:12 am

watch4hook wrote:
SparkyLives wrote:I received the official acceptance letter a little while ago. It's dated 12/18 and says the binder will come "in a few weeks".

Did you get it in the mail or email? I still haven't heard anything since the phone call...

snail mail letter just making it official, i guess. I havent' received the email yet either. I hope they know that getting the email and binder around the same time wouldn't make much sense. As I understood it, they were essentially the same thing.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:06 pm

Just wanted to repost this article from the Yale admissions blog about Yale's application process.
Dear A.D.,

Sure thing. Basically, at Yale, the entire permanent faculty -- over 60 people -- serve as the "Admissions Committee." It works like this. First, I review each file. Files are read in the order they become complete -- in other words, we do not sort by grades or LSATs. At this stage, I am looking for whether you can 1) perform extremely well academically at Yale and 2) make a significant contribution to the composition of the incoming class, in terms of (among other things) experience, perspective, leadership, special skills, and future goals.

We are very fortunate to have many more people who fit the above criteria than we have room for in the incoming class. To this end, I send about 25% of our applicant pool -- close to 1,000 files -- to our faculty "Committees." At this stage, each application is sent, in a stack of about 50 files, to three faculty readers. Each faculty member uses his or her own criteria to rate each file on a scale of 2-4, with 4 being the highest. Each faculty member reads independently -- that is, the faculty member does not know who the other two readers of the file will be and so there is no discussion of the files with other people --and his or her scores are kept confidential from the other readers.

Once the application is circulated through the three readers, we add up the scores in the Admissions Office. All applicants who receive a 12 (straight 4s) and most who receive an 11 (two 4s and a 3) are admitted.

There are roughly 50-80 applicants each year who are "presumptive admits" and who bypass the three reader process. Instead, they are reviewed by myself and a a faculty member who serves as the Chair of the Admissions Committee. These are students who are truly outstanding in every way, not just scores -- again, we are trying to fill the class with interesting and well-rounded students, not just students who can take tests well! It's hard to articulate what places a student into the presumptive admit category, so I'll just borrow Justice Potter Stewart's view: I know it when I see it.

As you can see from our process, we have a very thorough review process, in which each file is read carefully by up to 4 readers. This process, which has been in place for as long as anyone can remember, allows the perspectives of a broad range of people -- not just a select few "admissions" folks -- to determine the depth and diversity of the class, and also gives each faculty member a personal stake in the outcome. The result is the most highly-qualified, interesting, and talented law school classes in the country and a close knit community for all those who come to Yale.

What it means for you, the applicants, is that your chances of getting into YLS are not just based on numbers. In fact, I have had several faculty members tell me that when they read files, they are not as concerned with numbers as they are with some other part of the application: some focus on the personal statement or the 250-word essay, others on the recommendations, and one even swears by the LSAT writing sample (I want to say he was joking, but I'm not actually sure). While this makes it difficult to know "why" someone does or does not get in, it also means that your entire application, not just your scores, mean a lot to us.

So, take the opportunity to shine in every aspect of your application -- there is someone who will notice!

-- Asha

Just guessing here, but I believe the part in bold applies to most - if not all - of the December admits.

I am assuming that right before they closed for break, they sent the stacks of files to the three faculty readers, who are probably going to start reading them very soon (if they haven't already)

As I hinted at in my LSN #s breakdown earlier, expect a few relatively large batches of acceptances over the first two full weeks of January.

Best of luck to those still waiting and congrats again to those already in.

To those already admitted: Are you definitely heading to YLS?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jenaimarre

New

Post by Jenaimarre » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:44 pm

Would anyone who has been admitted be so kind as to critique a 250 word essay? :lol:

comeback

New

Post by comeback » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:45 am

I'm pretty set for Yale, unless I get a boatload of cash from Harvard of Stanford (and zip from YLS).

I'll be happy to look over your 250.

maikins

New

Post by maikins » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:51 pm

comeback wrote:I'm pretty set for Yale, unless I get a boatload of cash from Harvard of Stanford (and zip from YLS).

I'll be happy to look over your 250.
HYS only offer need based financial aid, so the three packages are likely to be fairly similar (you certainly won't be choosing between a 'boatload' and nothing).

KP429

Bronze

Post by KP429 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:54 pm

Got the "interests" phone call today. It's basically a phone call to set you up with a current Yale Law student who shares similar interests. They ask about your career interests, academic interests, and club interests. Very informal, the lady (Barbara) is VERY nice and I was really impressed.

They also ask if you've been granted scholarships from other institutions (merit-based -- she specifically asked if I'd received a Darrow) so maybe they're more flexible with FinAid than we think! Overall, it was a very nice confirmation of acceptance and the buddy mentor thing sounds really cool.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:58 pm

Every time someone posts on here my heart skips a beat...

ndnlawdc

Bronze

Post by ndnlawdc » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:14 pm

iagolives wrote:Every time someone posts on here my heart skips a beat...
Exactly. "OMG -- they started another round of calls and I haven't received one!"

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:54 pm

KP429 wrote:Got the "interests" phone call today. It's basically a phone call to set you up with a current Yale Law student who shares similar interests. They ask about your career interests, academic interests, and club interests. Very informal, the lady (Barbara) is VERY nice and I was really impressed.

They also ask if you've been granted scholarships from other institutions (merit-based -- she specifically asked if I'd received a Darrow) so maybe they're more flexible with FinAid than we think! Overall, it was a very nice confirmation of acceptance and the buddy mentor thing sounds really cool.

Any ETA on our stuff, by chance?

SleekFire

Bronze

Post by SleekFire » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:20 pm

ndnlawdc wrote:
iagolives wrote:Every time someone posts on here my heart skips a beat...
Exactly. "OMG -- they started another round of calls and I haven't received one!"

I couldn't resist.....

But honestly i feel your pain mine does the same thing....

Good luck to everyone!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

KP429

Bronze

Post by KP429 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:26 pm

Yes, actually. She said they hope/plan to mail out the binders by the end of the week! Exciting, huh?

LSATahhhh

New

Post by LSATahhhh » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:27 pm

What did you guys write your 250s about?

thegor1987

Bronze

felon gets into yale law school

Post by thegor1987 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:33 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26661590/

felon gets into Yale Law school.

I thought you cant get a license to practice law with a felony?

LSATahhhh

New

Re: felon gets into yale law school

Post by LSATahhhh » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:35 pm

thegor1987 wrote:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26661590/

felon gets into Yale Law school.

I thought you cant get a license to practice law with a felony?

Can you imagine sitting next to him in a class?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”