Yale Law School Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
rabbit9198

Bronze

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Post by rabbit9198 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:28 am

SparkyLives wrote: I said I was hungry for info, Rabbit answered the call. :D
I do what I can. :) You can expect some new blog posts on the Student Perspectives blog, I imagine, once the semester starts up again...we're in the middle of finals right now, so the wonderful student who manages the blog might be a tad busy - hopefully you won't run out of stuff to read before then!

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:34 am

iagolives wrote:lol, don't get my hopes up. Chicago left me standing at the altar today already....
Sorry :(

Probably nothing tomorrow. Maybe a few here and there over the next week or so.

February seems to be the big month for Yale.

Shadyb

New

Post by Shadyb » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:37 am

I wish you guys hadn't posted those blog links. I was totally okay with not getting into Yale before I read them...
I hope we all hear next week!

Haribo

Bronze

Post by Haribo » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:39 am

I kind of want to apply to Yale just to see if I can get in! Augh! Must stop checking this thread to save myself $70 bucks :D

ccw1234

New

Post by ccw1234 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:52 am

Last edited by ccw1234 on Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

watch4hook

New

Post by watch4hook » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:43 am

Are people not applying because they don't want to go there or because they think they can't get in?

I think a lot of people who might get in don't apply because they don't think they will be able to get accepted...

Or is the 250 that makes people hesitant?

jeeves0923

New

Post by jeeves0923 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:08 pm

watch4hook wrote:Are people not applying because they don't want to go there or because they think they can't get in?

I think a lot of people who might get in don't apply because they don't think they will be able to get accepted...

What negative sentences!

I think people just don't want to waste 75 bucks if they don't have a chance.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:16 pm

No reason not to apply.

Applying and getting rejected is far better than not applying and never knowing.

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:21 pm

watch4hook wrote:Are people not applying because they don't want to go there or because they think they can't get in?

If people are willing to shell out close to 500 bucks, take a four hour exam, chase down professors for LORs, and write a two page personal statement...I really hope a little 250 word spiel isn't stopping them from applying to the best law school in the country.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FrenchiePatootie

Bronze

Post by FrenchiePatootie » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:22 pm

For me it was the 250 (brief and brilliant?!)+ my mediocre lsat + "omgitsyale" but I applied after getting an invitation (even though it means nothing).

Then I went to the blog links from here and apparently, I really want to get into the law school of awesome.
Oh this one will hurt.

watch4hook

New

Post by watch4hook » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:24 pm

jeeves0923 wrote:

What negative sentences!

I think people just don't want to waste 75 bucks if they don't have a chance.
Wasn't trying to be negative, just trying to ask a question. I just get the impression that many people with good enough numbers don't apply for some reason. My guess is that in many instances this is because they don't think they can get in. But the Admissions blog at Yale seems to indicate that a whole bunch of people get in that never thought they would have any chance... which makes not applying because you don't think you can get in a bad reason in some cases (that is if numbers are reasonable)

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:31 pm

The numbers definitely bear out your conclusions. About half as many people apply to Yale as do to Harvard--and the 25%-75% aren't too far apart that they would warrant a 50% decline in apps.

Definitely something about Yale or the appliction process that scares them away.

bgc

Bronze

Post by bgc » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:57 pm

If you don't have the numbers for either, you're probably going to apply to the school that doesn't require an extra essay. Many people will apply "just so I don't have to wonder." Applying to both gets expensive.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

takingmytime

New

Post by takingmytime » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:53 pm

Yeah, I applied though I don't really have the numbers or softs. I figured that getting in wasn't impossible so why not give it a go since it's my dream school. You gotta play to win the lottery.

On another note, I need to stop reading this damn thread cause seeing the awesomeness of Yale and knowing I'm a reject is just depressing. Same goes to you, HLS!

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:36 pm

Four new posts at http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/stud ... ctives.htm

Check this out:
Every law school has a handful of students who are fairly selfless and share notes and outlines. What I didn’t expect was a school full of those students! Every Yale 1L is assigned to four black letter law classes in their first semester; two are private law (Contracts, Torts) and two are public law (Constitutional Law, Procedure). Three of these classes are lectures and one is a small seminar called a “small group.” Everyone in your small group takes all of the same classes, which right off the bat makes for a nice support network. But my small group took this a step further. In the first week of classes we divided up the classes among us and agreed that each night someone would be responsible for e-mailing their case briefs and notes to everyone else. I can’t tell you how many times we have saved each other from merciless cold calling. On those mornings when you just did not get through the copious reading, a delft ctl+F in your classmate’s notes produces a credible answer. (Phew) Every single night, four of my classmates are doing the reading for all of us. We have sustained this for 14 weeks. That is remarkable commitment to community.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:44 pm

Such a tease.

Stop posting in this thread. It makes my heart jump every time I see it bumped.

ndnlawdc

Bronze

Post by ndnlawdc » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:45 pm

Objection wrote:Such a tease.

Stop posting in this thread. It makes my heart jump every time I see it bumped.
What do you think YOU just did? ;)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SleekFire

Bronze

Post by SleekFire » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:08 pm

This thread is officially killing me!

Oh please Asha....

littleboyblue

Bronze

Post by littleboyblue » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:34 pm

i am pretty nervous about YLS's unconventional writing program/teaching style. the student blog on such topic (coker fellows) actually made me even more nervous. is becoming a coker fellow a competitive process and only people who actually write exceptionally well get to become one? from the blog it sounded as if anyone could sign up including people who want to become better writers (but are currently are not necessarily standouts). anyone have more insight into this? thanks.

rabbit9198

Bronze

Post by rabbit9198 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:48 pm

littleboyblue wrote:i am pretty nervous about YLS's unconventional writing program/teaching style. the student blog on such topic (coker fellows) actually made me even more nervous. is becoming a coker fellow a competitive process and only people who actually write exceptionally well get to become one? from the blog it sounded as if anyone could sign up including people who want to become better writers (but are currently are not necessarily standouts). anyone have more insight into this? thanks.
Admittedly, I don't know all that much about the details of the TA selection process (though it's certainly not the case that just anyone can sign up - each small group only has 2 TAs, so that's about 30 TAs in total), but I can assure you that my friends and I have been nothing but pleased with the quality of guidance we've received from the Coker Fellows (I had no idea that was what they're officially called...). Since the professors have a say in who serves as TAs in their course (and because, to a varied extent, TAs remove the burden with regard to writing instruction from the professors), they're incentivized to choose students that have been standouts in classes they've taught, or that come on good recommendation from other faculty members.

While I can't say what motivates everyone to become TAs (some might want to build their own writing skills, some may want to be academics in the future, some might just want a unique & fulfilling part-time job), I don't think quality of instruction from the TAs is anything to worry about. Personally, I think both my TAs are brilliant, and their feedback has been spot-on and thorough. Also, it should be noted that professors, too, provide writing instruction - they read your memos and briefs, giving feedback on argument and writing style (usually this is after the TAs have seen a draft - so you don't have to be embarrassed by making silly mistakes on something you turn in to the professor!), so it's not the case that the TAs are solely responsible for your legal writing experience.

littleboyblue

Bronze

Post by littleboyblue » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:02 pm

rabbit9198 wrote:
littleboyblue wrote:i am pretty nervous about YLS's unconventional writing program/teaching style. the student blog on such topic (coker fellows) actually made me even more nervous. is becoming a coker fellow a competitive process and only people who actually write exceptionally well get to become one? from the blog it sounded as if anyone could sign up including people who want to become better writers (but are currently are not necessarily standouts). anyone have more insight into this? thanks.
Admittedly, I don't know all that much about the details of the TA selection process (though it's certainly not the case that just anyone can sign up - each small group only has 2 TAs, so that's about 30 TAs in total), but I can assure you that my friends and I have been nothing but pleased with the quality of guidance we've received from the Coker Fellows (I had no idea that was what they're officially called...). Since the professors have a say in who serves as TAs in their course (and because, to a varied extent, TAs remove the burden with regard to writing instruction from the professors), they're incentivized to choose students that have been standouts in classes they've taught, or that come on good recommendation from other faculty members.

While I can't say what motivates everyone to become TAs (some might want to build their own writing skills, some may want to be academics in the future, some might just want a unique & fulfilling part-time job), I don't think quality of instruction from the TAs is anything to worry about. Personally, I think both my TAs are brilliant, and their feedback has been spot-on and thorough. Also, it should be noted that professors, too, provide writing instruction - they read your memos and briefs, giving feedback on argument and writing style (usually this is after the TAs have seen a draft - so you don't have to be embarrassed by making silly mistakes on something you turn in to the professor!), so it's not the case that the TAs are solely responsible for your legal writing experience.
thanks for the explanation rabbit!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:20 pm

1) I apologize for those posters whose heart palpitations are affected by the status of this thread.

2) So we've heard that the binders were supposed to be sent late last week. I'm assuming they were sent out today...so maybe by the end of this week?

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:22 pm

SparkyLives wrote:1) I apologize for those posters whose heart palpitations are affected by the status of this thread.

2) So we've heard that the binders were supposed to be sent late last week. I'm assuming they were sent out today...so maybe by the end of this week?

:evil:

littleboyblue

Bronze

Post by littleboyblue » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:32 pm

SparkyLives wrote:1) I apologize for those posters whose heart palpitations are affected by the status of this thread.

I hope so. I need some YLS love...

green

Bronze

Post by green » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:43 pm

bgc wrote:If you don't have the numbers for either, you're probably going to apply to the school that doesn't require an extra essay. Many people will apply "just so I don't have to wonder." Applying to both gets expensive.
This was exactly my thought process. I had never thought about the 250, and my numbers are way below the 25 for Harvard or Yale. I live in the Boston area anyway, so I decided to give Harvard a go and not Yale.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”