Yale Law School Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
sluggo

Bronze

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Post by sluggo » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:52 pm

zabagabe, congrats!

rabbit9198

Bronze

Post by rabbit9198 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:00 pm

SparkyLives wrote:
Also, I still haven't received any mug/note from Yale. This is weak.
She's pregnant! Give her a break! :) I imagine it's kind of tiring/boring to write 200+ hand-written notes! http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... pdate.aspx
Last edited by rabbit9198 on Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YoungFogey

New

Post by YoungFogey » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:58 am

Congrats and welcome to everyone!!!!
SparkyLives wrote:
This is just the first taste of "Yale Standard Time." :-)

I remember having a mild panic attack that it took at least a month for me to get "the mug" (It actually might have been 6 weeks). For me it fed into the idea that I was "the mistake" and it was just a matter of time before they called to correct it. Heck, I'm still not sure that I wasn't, but they are letting me take classes and haven't kicked me out, so at this point I don't really care how I got in. :lol:

Seriously, though, deadlines are just sort of rough guidelines around here. Some professors and administrators are very strict about them, some not so much. You learn to adjust your expectations and it all works out. The mug is nice, but, IMHO, not as nice as the one you will hopefully get from the library during orientation before classes start (I like the wide bottom ones that are next to impossible to tip rather than the travel ones that fit into car cup holders).

JackieTreehorn

New

Post by JackieTreehorn » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:30 am

zabagabe wrote:As per KP429's request, reporting for duty.
Congrats on the sweep!

KP429

Bronze

Post by KP429 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:46 pm

YoungFogey wrote:Congrats and welcome to everyone!!!!
SparkyLives wrote:
This is just the first taste of "Yale Standard Time." :-)

I remember having a mild panic attack that it took at least a month for me to get "the mug" (It actually might have been 6 weeks). For me it fed into the idea that I was "the mistake" and it was just a matter of time before they called to correct it. Heck, I'm still not sure that I wasn't, but they are letting me take classes and haven't kicked me out, so at this point I don't really care how I got in. :lol:

Seriously, though, deadlines are just sort of rough guidelines around here. Some professors and administrators are very strict about them, some not so much. You learn to adjust your expectations and it all works out. The mug is nice, but, IMHO, not as nice as the one you will hopefully get from the library during orientation before classes start (I like the wide bottom ones that are next to impossible to tip rather than the travel ones that fit into car cup holders).
The note was far more impressive and sentimental to me than the mug :P. I don't even drink coffee/hot chocolate (or anything that needs to stay warm).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:10 pm

Ahh, I was under the impression that the note wasn't all that personalized. I expected a "congratulations! Yay!"

Now I'm very impressed and will wait very patiently. :oops:

dueprocess14

Bronze

Post by dueprocess14 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:27 pm

Someone may have found this and posted it here already, but there's a really helpful guide to housing in New Haven from last year's forum here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=500

Oh, and Yale seems to attract some ridiculously high-profile people: --LinkRemoved--

:)

ccw1234

New

Post by ccw1234 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:52 am

Last edited by ccw1234 on Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

dueprocess14

Bronze

Post by dueprocess14 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:49 pm

ccw1234 wrote:Zabagabe, your last post just single-handedly reaffirmed my decision not to give up TLS for Lent. What a great find! Thanks :)
Happy to help! I'll post any other exciting things I find. I am still too elated about being done with my cycle to do anything productive with my time other than surf the net about Yale. Does it get better once you get some admissions stuff in the mail, or will I effectively have "senioritis" until August? :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:00 pm

zabagabe wrote:
ccw1234 wrote:Zabagabe, your last post just single-handedly reaffirmed my decision not to give up TLS for Lent. What a great find! Thanks :)
Happy to help! I'll post any other exciting things I find. I am still too elated about being done with my cycle to do anything productive with my time other than surf the net about Yale. Does it get better once you get some admissions stuff in the mail, or will I effectively have "senioritis" until August? :)
No, it doesn't get better. It's downhill from here--I promise. :oops:

KP429

Bronze

Post by KP429 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:24 am

Edit: Nevermind.

kalessebo

New

Post by kalessebo » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:34 am

Hi all, I'm in too! Congrats to everyone who's heard, and fingers are crossed for those who haven't.

I was about to post my info, but I've seen some people with concerns about anonymity, so I thought someone might be able to enlighten me as to why I shouldn't put up my numbers/etc.

Again, congrats everyone!
Last edited by kalessebo on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

dueprocess14

Bronze

Post by dueprocess14 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:20 pm

Congrats Kalessebo! Didn't realize you just heard. :) I'm loathe to put my exact info out there, but I think I've outed myself to at least SLS and YLS based on what I've said about interactions with admissions in various forums, if the admins are incredibly bored between reading apps and get on TLS. Since it's mostly all positive though, I'm not too concerned! Up to you if you want to be scrutinized by others, etc.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dueprocess14

Bronze

Post by dueprocess14 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:18 pm

Ok, going through the binder, I'm beginning to get hooked. The civil rights and national security clinic sounds amazing, and you can do it as a 1L!! Heaven...

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:49 am

zabagabe wrote:Ok, going through the binder, I'm beginning to get hooked. The civil rights and national security clinic sounds amazing, and you can do it as a 1L!! Heaven...
So has the senioritis gotten better or worse (my prediction)?

Clinical work as a 1L makes Yale awesome, btw.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:03 am

I don't care if you have gotten into YLS or the Wiseacre School of Law and Truthiness, senioritis is an affliction which plagues us all.

Ok, now that I've had my two minutes in the sun, back to the exile of the waiting applicant's forum... *hangs head*

lsplz

New

Post by lsplz » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:12 am

I am very with you on that one, Iago! And I have to tell you that your avatar makes my day, I'm glad you've discovered the joys of Dr. Horrible.

Now I'll join you back in the waiting room. Or maybe I'll go to bed...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dueprocess14

Bronze

Post by dueprocess14 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:39 am

To clarify, my affliction stems from the fact that Yale was the last school I was waiting to hear from, so now I'm done angsting about my cycle, and therefore have no more motivation to do anything.

littleboyblue

Bronze

Post by littleboyblue » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:08 pm

zabagabe wrote:Ok, going through the binder, I'm beginning to get hooked. The civil rights and national security clinic sounds amazing, and you can do it as a 1L!! Heaven...
i think its one of the most popular so probably pretty hard to get as a 1L (i guess rabbit would really know the answer to this). i think you can choose not to do a clinic one semester to get your guaranteed first choice the next (or something like that).

rabbit9198

Bronze

Post by rabbit9198 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:32 pm

littleboyblue wrote:
i think its one of the most popular so probably pretty hard to get as a 1L (i guess rabbit would really know the answer to this). i think you can choose not to do a clinic one semester to get your guaranteed first choice the next (or something like that).
I'm guessing you're talking about the 9/11 clinic: http://www.law.yale.edu/academics/Balan ... erties.asp

I'm not really sure how hard it is to get into, but I have 1L friends who both did and did not get accepted this semester. You do have to write a letter of interest/apply. I think people who have special language skills sometimes get a preference, but not everyone I know who's doing it has special language skills. Also, people who may have a "conflict of interest" - meaning, they're taking a summer job in the White House or some divisions of the DOJ, etc. - can't do the clinic, for obvious reasons. My friends who are doing the clinic seem to really like it so far.

And yes, you're right that people can "fall option" clinics, meaning you say that you're willing to wait till fall to get your first choice of clinics. I'm not sure how many people do it, but it seems like a good way to have a bit more control over your schedule.

littleboyblue

Bronze

Post by littleboyblue » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:04 pm

rabbit9198 wrote:
littleboyblue wrote:
I'm guessing you're talking about the 9/11 clinic: http://www.law.yale.edu/academics/Balan ... erties.asp

I'm not really sure how hard it is to get into, but I have 1L friends who both did and did not get accepted this semester. You do have to write a letter of interest/apply. I think people who have special language skills sometimes get a preference, but not everyone I know who's doing it has special language skills. Also, people who may have a "conflict of interest" - meaning, they're taking a summer job in the White House or some divisions of the DOJ, etc. - can't do the clinic, for obvious reasons. My friends who are doing the clinic seem to really like it so far.

And yes, you're right that people can "fall option" clinics, meaning you say that you're willing to wait till fall to get your first choice of clinics. I'm not sure how many people do it, but it seems like a good way to have a bit more control over your schedule.
are you doing a clinic? if so, which one? do you like it?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dueprocess14

Bronze

Post by dueprocess14 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:22 pm

rabbit9198 wrote:
littleboyblue wrote:

Hey Rabbit, thanks for your thoughts! Do you know if you have prior research and/or practical experience a particular clinic, would that be something that might help make you more likely to be selected, or is the idea to give people without a background the chance to try something new (ie, the Fulbright mentality)? Thanks! :)

rabbit9198

Bronze

Post by rabbit9198 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:14 am

zabagabe wrote:
Hey Rabbit, thanks for your thoughts! Do you know if you have prior research and/or practical experience a particular clinic, would that be something that might help make you more likely to be selected, or is the idea to give people without a background the chance to try something new (ie, the Fulbright mentality)? Thanks! :)
That's a good question, and I'm not totally sure there's one easy answer. First of all, many of the clinics just require you to rank-order your preferences and don't require any special statement of interest - so for those, it wouldn't really matter.

For those clinics that *do* select people on the basis of a statement, my understanding is that each clinic (faculty and sometimes, student directors) reviews the statements and selects people...it's kind of a black box, but it seems that there's generally a preference for people with experience or a particular reason for wanting to do the clinic, but the clinics also do keep track of who's applied previously, and most of them say that if you want to do a particular clinic, you'll definitely get the chance to do it at some point before you graduate (so you can try something new).

westbayguy

Bronze

Post by westbayguy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:50 pm

Anyone notice that YLS suppressed displaying the number of members in the YLS 2012 Facebook group? Admissions trying to hide where they are in the admissions process?

Anyone willing to share the current Facebook head count?

carlitos

New

Post by carlitos » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:15 pm

I JUST GOT IN VIA PHONE CALL AT 5:37!

STILL IN TOTAL SHOCK!

the admissions guy even said, "i bet this is the last call you expected to get at 5:37 on a saturday night!"

i am now closing the computer that contains my thesis and GOING OUT TO CELEBRATE!

good luck to everyone still waiting! there is hope--i (with my 170 and coming straight out of undergrad) am proof!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”