The Ohio State University 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
randomwit
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:12 am

Re: The Ohio State University 2012

Postby randomwit » Tue May 12, 2009 1:31 pm

Im undecided as to my living situation come August....I dont know if I should room with a law school student or live by myself??? I don't think it would be a good idea to room with an undergrad unless they are pre-med or something for obvious reasons lol

Also, I am planning on moving up in early August, is anybody going up sooner?

opj2002
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:35 am

Re: The Ohio State University 2012

Postby opj2002 » Tue May 12, 2009 1:49 pm

Assuming OSU is still the destination.....

I'm planning on moving early August.

Ideally, I'd want to room with 2-3 other 1Ls. Share in the struggle, be a support team, etc.

jmf2006
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:24 pm

Re: The Ohio State University 2012

Postby jmf2006 » Tue May 12, 2009 1:54 pm

.
Last edited by jmf2006 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

randomwit
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:12 am

Re: The Ohio State University 2012

Postby randomwit » Tue May 12, 2009 3:39 pm

opj2002 wrote:Assuming OSU is still the destination.....

I'm planning on moving early August.

Ideally, I'd want to room with 2-3 other 1Ls. Share in the struggle, be a support team, etc.



You know what they say, misery loves company....let us share the rigors of being a 1L together lol

randomwit
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:12 am

Re: The Ohio State University 2012

Postby randomwit » Tue May 12, 2009 4:32 pm

jmf2006 wrote:
randomwit wrote:Im undecided as to my living situation come August....I dont know if I should room with a law school student or live by myself??? I don't think it would be a good idea to room with an undergrad unless they are pre-med or something for obvious reasons lol

Also, I am planning on moving up in early August, is anybody going up sooner?


I'm moving early August as well, unless I get laid off before then, then it would probably make more sense to move to Ohio earlier since the rent is so much cheaper (I'm in NYC right now). I'm going to live alone, but mostly because I have been graduated and living alone for over three years now, so I imagine that I would make a bear of a roommate at this point. But that being said, if you are used to living with roommates, it might be nice to have a fellow law student living with you for support. I think living with an undergrad has a lot of potential to be miserable. I can't believe the prices in Columbus! It is so great to be looking for an apartment when it is a renters market! How soon are you all beginning your apartment search? I am planning to visit Columbus early June, but I don't want to be too early/late.


I might go visit just for fun in June or early July, I have lived at home until now so I don't have a preference as to my living situation...but it would nice to have fellow 1L's that want to share a place.

I have looked at some places via craigslist but I haven't anything that I am crazy about :? I would like to get some input from you guys about some good paces to live at but it seems that we are all moving up there at the same lol

opj2002
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:35 am

Re: The Ohio State University 2012

Postby opj2002 » Tue May 12, 2009 4:44 pm

in that '1L Timeline' email that went out it had:

'-May 12 – Housing Information: We will begin mailing out information about housing in Columbus as well as a roommate matching form to return to us if you are looking for a roommate this fall. This packet will also contain information about Buckeye Law FAN. Please allow 5-7 business days for this to arrive as it is being sent by traditional mail.'

Expect something soon in the mail and we'll get it all sorted out :)

lrynwnab
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:14 pm

Re: The Ohio State University 2012

Postby lrynwnab » Tue May 12, 2009 5:46 pm

From a visit a few weeks ago, I know I'm considering places in the Victorian Village, German Village and Clintonville.

The Short North is trendy and cute if you want a place on a busy street above a shop, but I have a dog so I want a neighborhood.

Victorian Village is extremely close to the law school. German Village is a little farther away but seems to have a lot of nice stuff available. Clintonville is north of campus.

randomwit
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:12 am

Re: The Ohio State University 2012

Postby randomwit » Tue May 12, 2009 6:57 pm

OPJ, I would imagine the matching thing is only for students that choose to live on campus, right?

At this point, I am leaning more towards off-campus....

opj2002
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:35 am

Re: The Ohio State University 2012

Postby opj2002 » Tue May 12, 2009 7:02 pm

randomwit wrote:OPJ, I would imagine the matching thing is only for students that choose to live on campus, right?

At this point, I am leaning more towards off-campus....


I wouldn't be so sure. The Illinois survey simply asked for information about you, what kind of living situation you wanted, etc. I expect most students to want to live off-campus, so I'd expect that to be the focus of the service.... or at least help to steer us in the right direction for both options.

User avatar
buckeyefan3
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:27 pm

Re: The Ohio State University 2012

Postby buckeyefan3 » Tue May 12, 2009 11:10 pm

I know I've said it before but I've lived in Cbus for the last 6 years (currently living in the Short North) and I am super familiar with the area and campus. If anyone who is coming to check places out would like a tour guide or to meet for coffee and ask me about anything, I would be more than happy to meet up!

*Anything to help out a future Buckeye :)

randomwit
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:12 am

Re: The Ohio State University 2012

Postby randomwit » Wed May 13, 2009 1:50 pm

buckeyefan3 wrote:I know I've said it before but I've lived in Cbus for the last 6 years (currently living in the Short North) and I am super familiar with the area and campus. If anyone who is coming to check places out would like a tour guide or to meet for coffee and ask me about anything, I would be more than happy to meet up!

*Anything to help out a future Buckeye :)



I think might take you up on the offer :D, I would definitely like to visit the school and see what the living situation is like before moving my whole life up there lol.

So am I a buckeye now, or do I have to wait until school starts?? HAHA

User avatar
buckeyefan3
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:27 pm

Re: The Ohio State University 2012

Postby buckeyefan3 » Wed May 13, 2009 2:21 pm

Hmmm...I say once you've sent in your deposit...you're a Buckeye (either then or when you start bleeding scarlet and gray)

Feel free to PM me before you're coming to town and I'll definitely set aside some time to meet up and give you some info!

Yay...can't wait to meet everybody :)
Last edited by buckeyefan3 on Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

randomwit
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:12 am

Re: The Ohio State University 2012

Postby randomwit » Wed May 13, 2009 6:17 pm

So we have about 200 people in the class of 2012, where the hell is everyone? I have seen less than a dozen of us here and around 8 on our class page in FB....I cant imagine anyone going through a cycle and not passing through TLS forums even once!?!?!?

osu09
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:47 pm

Re: The Ohio State University 2012

Postby osu09 » Wed May 13, 2009 8:53 pm

I live in on the edge of the Short North, and one block north is sketchy. A lot of craigslist listings lie about the neighborhood. So make sure to ask around to make sure you don't get taken. Outside of the Gateway itself is pretty much a hellhole until Smith Place if you are going south on High Street. Living closer to the Med school (closer to Neil) is much better. King Ave isn't too bad either, but I have gotten several sex offender notifications about men living on the first block west of High Street. (You can take that for what its worth. Maybe there is a halfway house there?)

I think German Village is a bit of a trip to the law school b/c you have to go through downtown and the Short North to get to campus, but if you are from a "real" big city it isn't that far. You can get wherever you want in about a half an hour. I am opposed to commutes. Also, anyone coming to Columbus will probably want a car. I mean you don't need one, but the public transit isn't great and everything is spread out.

TheQuietStorm86
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:34 pm

Re: The Ohio State University 2012

Postby TheQuietStorm86 » Wed May 13, 2009 10:12 pm

Does anyone from the area have any opinions about Clintonville? My fiancee and I are looking to buy a home. We have found a few in Clintonville but I am not really familiar with the area. Thanks.

User avatar
buckeyefan3
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:27 pm

Re: The Ohio State University 2012

Postby buckeyefan3 » Thu May 14, 2009 8:51 am

I think Clintonville is a great place if you and your fiancee want to buy a nice starter home. I wouldn't recommend it for single people who want to live in the more hoppin parts of Columbus but it is nice, close to the school, etc...

Also, I back up what osu09 said. If you're looking on Craiglist, def. don't trust what they say abt. the neighborhood. If it says 9th and Summit, great Short North/Campus location. RUN AWAY! I would say anything south of 2nd ave. (short north, victorian village, italian village) and anything north of 12th ave. (campus and even farther north is clintonville) and you should be fine. Don't live in the middle there though, unless you like to live dangerously!

randomwit
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:12 am

Re: The Ohio State University 2012

Postby randomwit » Thu May 14, 2009 10:05 am

Never thought of Columbus as a town with dangerous parts lol.....its nice to get some advice from everyone on here though, I do want to live to be a 2L :D

tommy1
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:41 am

Re: The Ohio State University 2012

Postby tommy1 » Thu May 14, 2009 11:15 am

Hey
so about housing...
how is Neil Avenue? I really like it cause it is close to the law school building....

Also what about Olentangy Village? I know there is a bus that commutes so how is that place?
I read somewhere that it is nice and quiet but things break often or something....

I wasn't planning on getting car the first semester but get one during the winter break....do you think it will be difficult to survive w/o one for a semester?...how far are the malls, markets and bars from neil avenue and olentangy village?

THANKS

User avatar
buckeyefan3
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:27 pm

Re: The Ohio State University 2012

Postby buckeyefan3 » Thu May 14, 2009 11:23 am

It depends where on Neil you want to live. Certain places are ok...others are pretty sketchy.

Olentangy Village is very much an undergrad housing complex. Kind of a lot of partying from what I've heard. If that's what you want...great! If you're more about the piece and quiet, I would say look in victorian village...more people in grad school live in those apartment complexes (Alexandria Colony, Tivoli, etc..)

Also, living in Columbus without a car is tough. The malls and such are pretty far out. I live in the short north and I love it b/c there are no chains and it's all really cool restaurants, bars, and cute little shops. Public transportation is present but not that great.

beebs30xj
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:23 am

Re: The Ohio State University 2012

Postby beebs30xj » Thu May 14, 2009 10:09 pm

Hi everyone! I went to OSU for undergrad and will be returning for law school in the fall.

I agree with buckeyefan3, it is pretty hard to go far in Columbus without a car. If you live relatively close to High St., you can take the #2 bus up and down High to several grocery stores, pharmacies and fast food places. The #2 runs every 15-30 minutes and isn't too bad if you don't mind the occasional smelly and/or drunk bum. There's also the #84 bus (doesn't run as often but is nicer and less crowded) to Lennox, which has a Target. Malls and anything else in the suburbs are out unless you get a friend to drive. However, it is totally possible to survive for a semester without a car.

I would also love to answer any questions about THE Ohio State University! :)

randomwit
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:12 am

Re: The Ohio State University 2012

Postby randomwit » Thu May 14, 2009 10:32 pm

Alright, this question is for those who have lived in Ohio or I guess any place up north...

I want to take my mustang up there, is that a horrible idea or could I survive? I don't want to own a SUV or any other car for that matter but I also want to see what you guys think since you have actually lived up there.

edit: this is probably a dumb question since I will probably be spending most of my time inside studying lol

opj2002
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:35 am

Re: The Ohio State University 2012

Postby opj2002 » Fri May 15, 2009 9:03 am

They just sent out their housing information including a roommate placement form.

alveron
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:42 pm

Re: The Ohio State University 2012

Postby alveron » Fri May 15, 2009 5:09 pm

randomwit wrote:Alright, this question is for those who have lived in Ohio or I guess any place up north...

I want to take my mustang up there, is that a horrible idea or could I survive? I don't want to own a SUV or any other car for that matter but I also want to see what you guys think since you have actually lived up there.

edit: this is probably a dumb question since I will probably be spending most of my time inside studying lol


I love my 4WD Jeep for the snow but most people are fine with 2WD cars.

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: The Ohio State University 2012

Postby chicoalto0649 » Sun May 17, 2009 4:30 am

beebs30xj wrote:Hi everyone! I went to OSU for undergrad and will be returning for law school in the fall.

I agree with buckeyefan3, it is pretty hard to go far in Columbus without a car. If you live relatively close to High St., you can take the #2 bus up and down High to several grocery stores, pharmacies and fast food places. The #2 runs every 15-30 minutes and isn't too bad if you don't mind the occasional smelly and/or drunk bum. There's also the #84 bus (doesn't run as often but is nicer and less crowded) to Lennox, which has a Target. Malls and anything else in the suburbs are out unless you get a friend to drive. However, it is totally possible to survive for a semester without a car.

I would also love to answer any questions about THE Ohio State University! :)



I'll take you up on your offer...

I am currently an OSU undergrad with a 3.4 gpa (URM) and taking the LSAT in June...I have generally been scoring at or above OSU's median LSAT and was just wondering from your own personal experience, or perhaps through the experiences of your peers, whether or not it is more or less difficult to get into OSU coming from their undergrad.... I am definitely aiming for higher up schools (LSAT permitting) but would be super content just to attend Moritz...your input is appreciated!

User avatar
buckeyefan3
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:27 pm

Re: The Ohio State University 2012

Postby buckeyefan3 » Sun May 17, 2009 9:40 am

chicoalto0649 wrote:
beebs30xj wrote:Hi everyone! I went to OSU for undergrad and will be returning for law school in the fall.

I agree with buckeyefan3, it is pretty hard to go far in Columbus without a car. If you live relatively close to High St., you can take the #2 bus up and down High to several grocery stores, pharmacies and fast food places. The #2 runs every 15-30 minutes and isn't too bad if you don't mind the occasional smelly and/or drunk bum. There's also the #84 bus (doesn't run as often but is nicer and less crowded) to Lennox, which has a Target. Malls and anything else in the suburbs are out unless you get a friend to drive. However, it is totally possible to survive for a semester without a car.

I would also love to answer any questions about THE Ohio State University! :)



I'll take you up on your offer...

I am currently an OSU undergrad with a 3.4 gpa (URM) and taking the LSAT in June...I have generally been scoring at or above OSU's median LSAT and was just wondering from your own personal experience, or perhaps through the experiences of your peers, whether or not it is more or less difficult to get into OSU coming from their undergrad.... I am definitely aiming for higher up schools (LSAT permitting) but would be super content just to attend Moritz...your input is appreciated!



Hey! Good luck on the LSAT. I came from OSU for undergrad, took a 2 years off, and will be headed to OSU in the fall. I don't think coming from OSU for undergrad will hurt you. Especially if you are scoring at or above their medians and you're a URM. Also, don't sell OSU short. I was accepted with money to higher ranked schools including GULC, Vanderbilt, etc...and I'm still heading to OSU in the fall. Honestly, it's a great institution with great professors and for me, I was fortunate enough to get a full ride with a small stipend so it is the best bang for my buck!




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests