Wisconsin-Madison 2012!!!

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
debaser
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:52 pm

Re: Wisconsin-Madison 2012!!!

Postby debaser » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:58 pm

W/L today..

::sigh::

User avatar
crystalhawkeye
Posts: 757
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:00 pm

Re: Wisconsin-Madison 2012!!!

Postby crystalhawkeye » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:59 pm

Jwatson wrote:I don't think there is a "wall" this cycle, they took a 148/3.15 URM.

This changes things.

Anonymous0L

Re: Wisconsin-Madison 2012!!!

Postby Anonymous0L » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:00 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
Jwatson wrote:I don't think there is a "wall" this cycle, they took a 148/3.15 URM.

This changes things.


Normally schools don't dig that deep for URMs. Someone with a 151 got in last cycle (non-URM), you just need to have very special softs or high high numbers this time around.

User avatar
crystalhawkeye
Posts: 757
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:00 pm

Re: Wisconsin-Madison 2012!!!

Postby crystalhawkeye » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:04 pm

Jwatson wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:
Jwatson wrote:I don't think there is a "wall" this cycle, they took a 148/3.15 URM.

This changes things.


Normally schools don't dig that deep for URMs. Someone with a 151 got in last cycle (non-URM), you just need to have very special softs or high high numbers this time around.

Yes, I said this earlier. Something tells me my GPA didn't keep me out...

nvoight911
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: Wisconsin-Madison 2012!!!

Postby nvoight911 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:05 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
Jwatson wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:
Jwatson wrote:I don't think there is a "wall" this cycle, they took a 148/3.15 URM.

This changes things.


Normally schools don't dig that deep for URMs. Someone with a 151 got in last cycle (non-URM), you just need to have very special softs or high high numbers this time around.

Yes, I said this earlier. Something tells me my GPA didn't keep me out...


I'm 90% sure I will be withdrawing from the waitlist sometime this week.

Anonymous0L

Re: Wisconsin-Madison 2012!!!

Postby Anonymous0L » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:06 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
Jwatson wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:
Jwatson wrote:I don't think there is a "wall" this cycle, they took a 148/3.15 URM.

This changes things.


Normally schools don't dig that deep for URMs. Someone with a 151 got in last cycle (non-URM), you just need to have very special softs or high high numbers this time around.



Softs perhaps?

User avatar
crystalhawkeye
Posts: 757
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:00 pm

Re: Wisconsin-Madison 2012!!!

Postby crystalhawkeye » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:06 pm

nvoight911 wrote:I'm 90% sure I will be withdrawing from the waitlist sometime this week.

What's your top pick at this point?

User avatar
crystalhawkeye
Posts: 757
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:00 pm

Re: Wisconsin-Madison 2012!!!

Postby crystalhawkeye » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:06 pm

Jwatson wrote:Softs perhaps?

In all honesty, it could be that, too. I'm not terribly diverse, and they emphasized their fondness for those who are.

User avatar
debaser
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:52 pm

Re: Wisconsin-Madison 2012!!!

Postby debaser » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:06 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
Jwatson wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:
Jwatson wrote:I don't think there is a "wall" this cycle, they took a 148/3.15 URM.

This changes things.


Normally schools don't dig that deep for URMs. Someone with a 151 got in last cycle (non-URM), you just need to have very special softs or high high numbers this time around.

Yes, I said this earlier. Something tells me my GPA didn't keep me out...




well my crappy gpa got me waitlisted
3.1 166 oh well...

Anonymous0L

Re: Wisconsin-Madison 2012!!!

Postby Anonymous0L » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:07 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
Jwatson wrote:Softs perhaps?

In all honesty, it could be that, too. I'm not terribly diverse, and :?: they emphasized their fondness for those who are.


:?: :?: how

Archon
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: Wisconsin-Madison 2012!!!

Postby Archon » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:10 pm


nvoight911
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: Wisconsin-Madison 2012!!!

Postby nvoight911 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:11 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
nvoight911 wrote:I'm 90% sure I will be withdrawing from the waitlist sometime this week.

What's your top pick at this point?



As of now I'm deciding between Miami (23k scholly) and York in Toronto (if I get accepted). This would change if I get accepted off the waitlist at Fordham.

Anonymous0L

Re: Wisconsin-Madison 2012!!!

Postby Anonymous0L » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:12 pm




No factor, however, will outweigh judgment that a particular applicant's credentials, taken as a whole, represent unacceptably high academic risk. We accept only those we judge to be fully qualified academically and will not accept any applicant with predicted first-year score of less than the equivalent to our Law School grade of "C" (2.0).


Very interesting.

User avatar
crystalhawkeye
Posts: 757
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:00 pm

Re: Wisconsin-Madison 2012!!!

Postby crystalhawkeye » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:12 pm

Jwatson wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:
Jwatson wrote:Softs perhaps?

In all honesty, it could be that, too. I'm not terribly diverse, and :?: they emphasized their fondness for those who are.


:?: :?: how

http://www.law.wisc.edu/prospective/diversitymain.html
And from the application page
Unusual cultural background. Our quest for diversity gives some advantage to fully qualified applicants from unusual or disadvantaged backgrounds

Diversity of experience or background. A background of work experience, life experience, college activity, political activity, etc., that adds an additional or unusual perspective to the law school student body may work in the applicant 's favor

Diversity of stated professional goals. Our application form gives applicants an opportunity to express their reasons for studying law. We prefer an entering class made up of individuals with many different reasons for being here. For example, if most of our applicants say they want to use their legal training to be social reformers, a plus may go to the applicant who wants to be a small- town practitioner

Yojimbo
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:10 pm

Re: Wisconsin-Madison 2012!!!

Postby Yojimbo » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:30 pm

It's sad to see all the nice helpful people getting W/Led and dinged. This cycle is hella weird. It also seems as though Madison sends accepts/wl/dings together and not in separate waves.

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Wisconsin-Madison 2012!!!

Postby IzziesGal » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:36 pm

I'm curious as to why you guys think that the 148 URM changes the game? I'm not sure I understand why a lower URM acceptance would mean that non-URMs need to have a higher LSAT.

BobDole34
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:03 pm

Re: Wisconsin-Madison 2012!!!

Postby BobDole34 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:04 pm

What's the deal with Madison WLing 160s with high GPAs? For the person with the 4.0/160 who got WLed today, do you think being from WI would have helped push you over the top?

I have a 161 and a slightly above their median GPA (from WI, too), so each time a 160 gets WLed, I freak out a bit.

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Wisconsin-Madison 2012!!!

Postby IzziesGal » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:04 pm

BobDole34 wrote:What's the deal with Madison WLing 160s with high GPAs? For the person with the 4.0/160 who got WLed today, do you think being from WI would have helped push you over the top?

I have a 161 and a slightly above their median GPA (from WI, too), so each time a 160 gets WLed, I freak out a bit.


+1
161 / 4.0 and scared to see the letter.

Yojimbo
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:10 pm

Re: Wisconsin-Madison 2012!!!

Postby Yojimbo » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:07 pm

BobDole34 wrote:What's the deal with Madison WLing 160s with high GPAs? For the person with the 4.0/160 who got WLed today, do you think being from WI would have helped push you over the top?

I have a 161 and a slightly above their median GPA (from WI, too), so each time a 160 gets WLed, I freak out a bit.


Same...
161 + >3.75 too, still waiting and all this action hasn't been good for my nerves.

Anonymous0L

Re: Wisconsin-Madison 2012!!!

Postby Anonymous0L » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:08 pm

If you are a WI resident, your chances of admission will be greatly boosted. It's one of their four aims of admissions.

nvoight911
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: Wisconsin-Madison 2012!!!

Postby nvoight911 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:11 pm

My residency didn't help me lol

Yojimbo
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:10 pm

Re: Wisconsin-Madison 2012!!!

Postby Yojimbo » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:11 pm

Jwatson wrote:If you are a WI resident, your chances of admission will be greatly boosted. It's one of their four aims of admissions.

edit: beaten by the man himself

I would hope so, but then I see nvoight911 get w/l with great numbers and he is instate too! That's just crazy.

Anonymous0L

Re: Wisconsin-Madison 2012!!!

Postby Anonymous0L » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:12 pm

nvoight911 wrote:My residency didn't help me lol



Maybe diversity? or perhaps YPed (from your fordham WL).

Archon
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: Wisconsin-Madison 2012!!!

Postby Archon » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:14 pm

Take it for what it's worth, but I asked Wisconsin Admissions if Wisconsin residents are treated with preference during admissions. She adamantly answered no and stated that the reason 60% of their class is Wisconsin residents is due only to the fact that they tend to attract more WI applicants.

Not sure how much of it I buy, but their line of response is that they have no WI-resident mandate (which I also specifically asked).

Anonymous0L

Re: Wisconsin-Madison 2012!!!

Postby Anonymous0L » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:17 pm

Archon wrote:Take it for what it's worth, but I asked Wisconsin Admissions if Wisconsin residents are treated with preference during admissions. She adamantly answered no and stated that the reason 60% of their class is Wisconsin residents is due only to the fact that they tend to attract more WI applicants.

Not sure how much of it I buy, but their line of response is that they have no WI-resident mandate (which I also specifically asked).



Well, if there are too many Wisconsin residents applying, residency may not be to much of an influence. Geographic diversity (outside the MW) though may play a more important role in this case.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest