Columbia Law School 2012!

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
amyraydun
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:07 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby amyraydun » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:12 pm

You guys! Don't over-analyze! You're going to drive yourself (and the rest of us) crazy with even more worry than we already can stand....

I'm staying optimistic and hopeful. Period.

thistimereborn
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:28 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby thistimereborn » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:16 pm

amyraydun wrote:You guys! Don't over-analyze! You're going to drive yourself (and the rest of us) crazy with even more worry than we already can stand....

I'm staying optimistic and hopeful. Period.


You're right! That's a good attitude. Let's stay positive!

User avatar
Dead Ringer
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 2:07 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Dead Ringer » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:19 pm

They have only taken five people. I don't think it's time to freak out yet. I am freaking out because of all the typos on my app though. Columbia I promise there will never be another typo in anything I write ever again if you let me in.

User avatar
nycgal73
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:13 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby nycgal73 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:28 am

yes! let's calm down and think positive thoughts, reconsidered in the regular applicant pool possibly?

User avatar
Prodigy
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Prodigy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:37 am

Dead Ringer wrote:They have only taken five people. I don't think it's time to freak out yet.


I wish this was the case.

They've accepted 5 (actually, 6) that are on LSN - and LSN only has a small fraction of the overall application pool. If LSN only represents 10%, they could have accepted 50 people already.

50 people out of a class of ~400 is a pretty large chunk.

:(

User avatar
whyamidoingthis
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:31 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby whyamidoingthis » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:39 am

Prodigy wrote:
Dead Ringer wrote:They have only taken five people. I don't think it's time to freak out yet.


I wish this was the case.

They've accepted 5 (actually, 6) that are on LSN - and LSN only has a small fraction of the overall application pool. If LSN only represents 10%, they could have accepted 50 people already.

50 people out of a class of ~400 is a pretty large chunk.

:(


Exactly my line of thinking.

User avatar
Prodigy
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Prodigy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:43 am

whyamidoingthis wrote:Exactly my line of thinking.


You're supposed to disagree.

User avatar
whyamidoingthis
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:31 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby whyamidoingthis » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:46 am

:mrgreen:
Last edited by whyamidoingthis on Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Prodigy
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Prodigy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:55 am

hahaha I'm not sure getting speeding tickets = good times :shock:

This is more aggravating than waiting for my LSAT score. I'm assuming this is due to the fact that I've convinced myself it's practically CLS or bust* for me.

*my heart, at the very least.

User avatar
whyamidoingthis
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:31 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby whyamidoingthis » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:58 am

:mrgreen:
Last edited by whyamidoingthis on Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Prodigy
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Prodigy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:05 am

Do you know how common it is to be thrown back into the RD pool?

I'm going to try to dig up past years CLS ED threads on here and see I guess. I hope it's not very common.

User avatar
whyamidoingthis
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:31 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby whyamidoingthis » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:06 am

Prodigy wrote:Do you know how common it is to be thrown back into the RD pool?

I'm going to try to dig up past years CLS ED threads on here and see I guess. I hope it's not very common.


PM me and let me know what you find.

User avatar
Prodigy
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Prodigy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:05 am

I couldn’t find too much on deferrals from last year’s cycle on TLS, but for what it’s worth:

M51 wrote:
My take: Columbia traditionally has a 3 round "early" decision schedule before their bulk decisions in late January.

1st Round - Some acceptances (the ones they reviewed early presumably). Auto-Admits. Auto-Rejects. This just passed wed.

2nd Round - (traditionally the second week of December, but this year the 1st round was early, so who knows). A mix of Acceptances and Reject/Deferrals.

3rd Round - (right before Christmas) All remaining ED. Mostly rejects at this point with a few deferrals and very few acceptances. This is horrible timing imo and will ruin quite a few X-mases.

Sit tight. The 2nd round's not here yet. You might have reason to be more depressed if the 2nd round passes w/o a word.

From:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... a&start=25

M51 wrote:And it wasn't only auto-admits. Two 4.2s were taken this cycle (two were deferred), and 4.2 is ~40% chance at Columbia. Three 4.3s were taken this cycle (one was deferred), and 4.3 is ~60% chance at Columbia.

From:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... t=columbia


And some general deferral talk:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19515&hilit=cls+ed


Basically, it appears like this week is going to be beginning of rejections / deferrals, so we won’t have to wait too long to satisfy our curiosities.
Very very few people, by both LSN and TLS, seem to get in once the rejections start coming out (I can only find one acceptance - on the 18th with a 180/3.3). I suppose it's worth holding onto hope until the rejections start?


Also,
Why the hell was last year's ED applicant pool so much weaker than this years?

User avatar
whyamidoingthis
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:31 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby whyamidoingthis » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:11 am

:mrgreen:
Last edited by whyamidoingthis on Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Prodigy
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Prodigy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:39 am

whyamidoingthis wrote:So basically, we were right. The next round will be rejections for most of us.


Damn you and your voice of reason :|

Good night EDers, and hopefully tomorrow brings good news.

User avatar
nycgal73
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:13 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby nycgal73 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:35 pm

bla bla bla not hearing any of this bla bla

User avatar
Dead Ringer
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 2:07 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Dead Ringer » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:18 pm

They have not yet accepted anyone who is above both LSAT and GPA median for early decision. Its really strange. Maybe there aren't many applicants that fall into this category. I fall just above both medians.

Also prodigy I think that LSN probably represents a lot more than ten percent of those who have received acceptances from Columbia. At least I hope so.

junelsatonmonday
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:41 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby junelsatonmonday » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:21 pm

i went complete on 11/8 and no news. i'm not staying positive - i'm sure i'll be rejected or deferred at best at this point. marginal numbers so kind of expected it...oh well

huckabees
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:38 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby huckabees » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:53 pm

Can anyone on here let me know the number of weeks it took to get from "Completion pending" to "Complete"?

Thanks!

User avatar
whyamidoingthis
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:31 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby whyamidoingthis » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:30 pm

huckabees wrote:Can anyone on here let me know the number of weeks it took to get from "Completion pending" to "Complete"?

Thanks!


Mine took a week, but that was at the beginning of November...

User avatar
whyamidoingthis
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:31 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby whyamidoingthis » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:41 pm

Beating a dead horse over here...noone has heard anything?

User avatar
quakeroat
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:25 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby quakeroat » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:04 pm

whyamidoingthis wrote:Beating a dead horse over here...noone has heard anything?

Nope. Disappointing.

User avatar
dbt
Posts: 617
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:46 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby dbt » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:07 pm

Even if 5 or 6 have been admitted on LSN, doesn't Columbia only have like a 32% yield. So maybe a class of 400, but more like 1200 will get acceptances. Stop worrying so early.

User avatar
kbigs
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:06 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby kbigs » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:56 pm

what would i need on my december lsat to have a shot at columbia, with a 3.6, great recs, work experience, and graduate degree?

User avatar
whyamidoingthis
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:31 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby whyamidoingthis » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:00 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by whyamidoingthis on Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest