Columbia Law School 2012!

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
sbalive
Posts: 399
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:05 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby sbalive » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:17 pm

whyamidoingthis wrote:
yqsong wrote:
Lem37 wrote:
yqsong wrote:http://www.columbia.edu/acis/sales/

discounted laptops as a columbia student, anybody?
i am thinking XPS M1330


Awesome! Although, we don't have a UNI/Password yet, do we?


Entering students who do not have an active UNI should call Dell at 1-800-695-8133 and give Columbia's Dell Member ID: US24184416.

Entering students without an active UNI:
Email or call Ronnie Peters at Apple (ronnie_peters@apple.com, 646-256-9421) for special pricing and directions for ordering.

all taken care of..


Anyone have thoughts on the need for the 2.66 GB as opposed to the 2.4 (macbook pro)? I don't do graphics work, so I'm thinking is over-powered for my needs but....thoughts?


You mean GHz vs. GB... Anyway, the 2.4 is fine if you're planning to mostly use Office and related apps.

User avatar
whyamidoingthis
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:31 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby whyamidoingthis » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:20 pm

sbalive wrote:
Anyone have thoughts on the need for the 2.66 GB as opposed to the 2.4 (macbook pro)? I don't do graphics work, so I'm thinking is over-powered for my needs but....thoughts?


You mean GHz vs. GB... Anyway, the 2.4 is fine if you're planning to mostly use Office and related apps.[/quote]

Haha yea, that's what I meant. What about running bootcamp? I really hate it when programs make my computer sloowwwww...

mp2012
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:54 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby mp2012 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:23 pm

After staring at the online enrollment form for an hour, I did it! I'll be seeing some of you in August! :)

sbalive
Posts: 399
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:05 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby sbalive » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:08 pm

whyamidoingthis wrote:
sbalive wrote:
Anyone have thoughts on the need for the 2.66 GB as opposed to the 2.4 (macbook pro)? I don't do graphics work, so I'm thinking is over-powered for my needs but....thoughts?


You mean GHz vs. GB... Anyway, the 2.4 is fine if you're planning to mostly use Office and related apps.


Haha yea, that's what I meant. What about running bootcamp? I really hate it when programs make my computer sloowwwww...[/quote]

hmm... not sure. I've never had to use it. Would we need bootcamp to run software necessarily for exams or something like that? I'd be curious about the answer in that case.

User avatar
Skadden Stairs
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:47 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Skadden Stairs » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:42 pm

Tuition & Fees: $49,755

lolwut?!?!?

red_sox
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:13 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby red_sox » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:45 pm

lex talionis wrote:Tuition & Fees: $49,755

lolwut?!?!?


This is very scary. It seems that Berkeley and now Columbia have increased their fees by $6000+ compared with last year. (Please someone tell me I'm wrong about this!) Surely others will follow.

Does anyone have 2009/10 tuition figures for others schools?

sbalive
Posts: 399
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:05 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby sbalive » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:56 pm

lex talionis wrote:Tuition & Fees: $49,755

lolwut?!?!?


What do they mean by "Fees"? Does this include health insurance? If so, this wouldn't be so bad, since 2008-2009 is $47,267 for tuition+fees inc. health insurance. If it's baseline tuition ($44,124 in 08-09) or exclusive of the $1500 health insurance fee, then that's not quite so nice.

(Also, on their website they say they won't have this finalized until June anyway...)

red_sox
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:13 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby red_sox » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:02 pm

sbalive wrote:
lex talionis wrote:Tuition & Fees: $49,755

lolwut?!?!?


What do they mean by "Fees"? Does this include health insurance? If so, this wouldn't be so bad, since 2008-2009 is $47,267 for tuition+fees inc. health insurance. If it's baseline tuition ($44,124 in 08-09) or exclusive of the $1500 health insurance fee, then that's not quite so nice.

(Also, on their website they say they won't have this finalized until June anyway...)


That's a good point - does anyone know? Maybe we should start a thread with tuition figures at various schools (normalized in some way) for the last couple of years. I'll do it this evening unless someone else has the time and inclination before then.

User avatar
frank_the_tank
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby frank_the_tank » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:02 pm

whered you see that at lex?

User avatar
Skadden Stairs
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:47 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Skadden Stairs » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:03 pm

No idea what it includes, I'm just reading my finaid award...
Image

red_sox
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:13 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby red_sox » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:10 pm

From Columbia's web site:

"Tuition for 2008-2009 is $44,124. There are additional mandatory fees for health services, student activities, and University facilities, which will be $1,550 for 2008-2009. Insurance for hospital care and standard medical coverage is also required ($1,498), unless students can show proof of comparable coverage."

So, tuition + fees were 45,674 for 08/09. It looks like the increase for next year will be a little over $4,000.

User avatar
frank_the_tank
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby frank_the_tank » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:11 pm

Yeah then insurance is included in that. Hmm, like 2100 more than last year. Suckie.

red_sox
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:13 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby red_sox » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:12 pm

frank_the_tank wrote:Yeah then insurance is included in that. Hmm, like 2100 more than last year. Suckie.


I don't think so - see my post above. (Though I hope I'm wrong.)

User avatar
frank_the_tank
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby frank_the_tank » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:13 pm

red_sox wrote:
frank_the_tank wrote:Yeah then insurance is included in that. Hmm, like 2100 more than last year. Suckie.


I don't think so - see my post above. (Though I hope I'm wrong.)


Yeah..I think you are wrong =P

Tuition + fees was 47,267.


Tuition $44,124
Student Activity fee 200
University Facilities fee 576
Health Services fee 774
Student Health Insurance (may be waived with proof of comparable coverage) 1,498
Transcript fee (one-time charge) 95
TOTAL UNIVERSITY CHARGES $47,267


unless we are talking about different things?

red_sox
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:13 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby red_sox » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:17 pm

frank_the_tank wrote:
red_sox wrote:
frank_the_tank wrote:Yeah then insurance is included in that. Hmm, like 2100 more than last year. Suckie.


I don't think so - see my post above. (Though I hope I'm wrong.)


Yeah..I think you are wrong =P

Tuition + fees was 47,267.


Tuition $44,124
Student Activity fee 200
University Facilities fee 576
Health Services fee 774
Student Health Insurance (may be waived with proof of comparable coverage) 1,498
Transcript fee (one-time charge) 95
TOTAL UNIVERSITY CHARGES $47,267


But does "total university charges" = fees? It's not clear to me. They seem to distinguish fees from health insurance in the quote from their website I posted above. I'm not going to Columbia, so I'll get out of this thread now, but I'll start a thread where we can post what we know about tuition increases later today.

User avatar
frank_the_tank
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby frank_the_tank » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:19 pm

red_sox wrote:
frank_the_tank wrote:
red_sox wrote:
frank_the_tank wrote:Yeah then insurance is included in that. Hmm, like 2100 more than last year. Suckie.


I don't think so - see my post above. (Though I hope I'm wrong.)


Yeah..I think you are wrong =P

Tuition + fees was 47,267.


Tuition $44,124
Student Activity fee 200
University Facilities fee 576
Health Services fee 774
Student Health Insurance (may be waived with proof of comparable coverage) 1,498
Transcript fee (one-time charge) 95
TOTAL UNIVERSITY CHARGES $47,267


But does "total university charges" = fees? It's not clear to me. They seem to distinguish fees from health insurance in the quote from their website I posted above. I'm not going to Columbia, so I'll get out of this thread now, but I'll start a thread where we can post what we know about tuition increases later today.



Yeah..I see what you mean but I think judging by Lex's finaid award we can probably assume the insurance is included, otherwise it would be mentioned somewhere else as a separate fee since it is required.

bermuda
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:54 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby bermuda » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:28 pm

.
Last edited by bermuda on Tue May 26, 2009 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sbalive
Posts: 399
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:05 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby sbalive » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:34 pm

bermuda wrote:The $71k number is the total cost of attendance which includes health insurance. The only comparison necessary is to the 08-09 COA (I belive it is $68.5k).


Not necessarily if you want to identify the tuition increase. For example, according to that breakdown, R&B went up from 15,820 to $15,975, Personal/Other increased from $3550 to $3830, and Books went from $1358 to $1440. The relevant difference is Tuition & Fees, which went from $47,267 to $48,625, and increase of $1358. But, that includes increases in fees & health insurance... so maybe you could guess about a $1200 tuition increase, or 3%-ish. Still, it's not clear if that's a final number or just a projection...

mp2012
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:54 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby mp2012 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:02 pm

I just sent in the UAH housing application. For those that have already done this, when do you hear back? Is it true they don't look at the applications until June?

User avatar
whyamidoingthis
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:31 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby whyamidoingthis » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:20 pm

.
Last edited by whyamidoingthis on Tue May 19, 2009 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sbalive
Posts: 399
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:05 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby sbalive » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:22 pm

whyamidoingthis wrote:
sbalive wrote:
bermuda wrote:The $71k number is the total cost of attendance which includes health insurance. The only comparison necessary is to the 08-09 COA (I belive it is $68.5k).


Not necessarily if you want to identify the tuition increase. For example, according to that breakdown, R&B went up from 15,820 to $15,975, Personal/Other increased from $3550 to $3830, and Books went from $1358 to $1440. The relevant difference is Tuition & Fees, which went from $47,267 to $48,625, and increase of $1358. But, that includes increases in fees & health insurance... so maybe you could guess about a $1200 tuition increase, or 3%-ish. Still, it's not clear if that's a final number or just a projection...


I'm paying sticker. I am going to be so broke. :cry:


+1. I don't know about you, but I see a lot of this in my future :cry:

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
whyamidoingthis
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:31 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby whyamidoingthis » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:32 pm

or back to my UG days

Image

ugh. makes me nauseous just thinking about it. it also makes me nauseous to think about how much i'm going to have to spend on a) tuition
b) a new computer
c) furniture
d) the several months rent necklace i've been ogling and am determined to have

kammy, here i come....

User avatar
Lem37
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:50 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Lem37 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:33 pm

I have a fully-stocked portable wine cellar that I'll be bringing up with me to share with my future apartment mates. So, first round of pity-drinks are on me. ;)

TU09
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:05 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby TU09 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:37 pm

Full sticker too...let's go 2012 job market!!

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Unemployed » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:01 pm

Not quite full sticker (but close enough). Still, I'll provide nicer booze. Single malt scotch anyone?




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests