Columbia Law School 2012!

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
Prodigy
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Prodigy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:16 am

whyamidoingthis wrote:
extragnarls wrote:
Objection wrote:Any idea when the RD should go out? This week or next week, I presume?


Or the week after next. In cycles past I think the earliest has been around Jan. 23rd and the latest start has been around the 28th.


I think there were some Jan 14 acceptances last year, so there might be some this week. Then again, they were late with the ED decisions so....

E-mails for ED seemed to come out on Wednesdays and I noticed someone on LSN said that last year too. (Any EDers who heard on a different day can and should definitely correct me here if I'm wrong.)


You're wrong. I was accepted on a Thursday. I received a Fall Grade Request though, so I'd imagine my decision date coincides with when my transcripts were received.

ps I would never call you out but you told me I 'could and should', which left me with little choice.

User avatar
yagrish
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby yagrish » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:27 am

I'm a little confused here - did any RD applicants receive a request for fall grades or is it just ED still?

User avatar
Prodigy
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Prodigy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:15 pm

yagrish wrote:I'm a little confused here - did any RD applicants receive a request for fall grades or is it just ED still?


Both have received them

User avatar
whyamidoingthis
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:31 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby whyamidoingthis » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:47 pm

Prodigy wrote:
whyamidoingthis wrote:
extragnarls wrote:
Objection wrote:Any idea when the RD should go out? This week or next week, I presume?


Or the week after next. In cycles past I think the earliest has been around Jan. 23rd and the latest start has been around the 28th.


I think there were some Jan 14 acceptances last year, so there might be some this week. Then again, they were late with the ED decisions so....

E-mails for ED seemed to come out on Wednesdays and I noticed someone on LSN said that last year too. (Any EDers who heard on a different day can and should definitely correct me here if I'm wrong.)


You're wrong. I was accepted on a Thursday. I received a Fall Grade Request though, so I'd imagine my decision date coincides with when my transcripts were received.

ps I would never call you out but you told me I 'could and should', which left me with little choice.


because I didn't want to give anyone the wrong information/idea about wednesdays! You were totally right to call me out, it's what I wanted :D

User avatar
whyamidoingthis
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:31 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby whyamidoingthis » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:50 pm

deneuve39 wrote:Yeah I'm planning on visiting some friends in Europe for at least a couple weeks before CLS starts (which is apparently kind of early, right? Like in August?). I think if you make sure your mail is going to a permanent address where family or a close friend can pick up your mail you should be fine. Like on the application it had you list a date when you'd no longer be living at your current address. Hopefully my parents can either forward me the mail or just tell me if there's something I need to do.

I guess e-mail's a little more difficult to intercept though if you won't have internet access...

Thx for the link btw! Great info. I know there's some ridiculously long thread (like 200 pages) on LSD w some info but it was exhausting sifting through it all.


Yes, the e-mail is definitely my biggest concern. From that thread, I got the feeling that you get a housing offer and have a limited number of days to accept it--don't want to miss that. I have a friend living where I'm traveling tho, so hopefully she'll have the hook-up for internet access.

I'm gald you found the thread helpful too! I have sooooo many questions and it definitely answered quite a few of them.

User avatar
hotburrito
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:40 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby hotburrito » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:02 am

Prodigy wrote:
yagrish wrote:I'm a little confused here - did any RD applicants receive a request for fall grades or is it just ED still?


Both have received them


I'm RD and just got one. When it says I can send them my grades in a "personal letter," does that mean I can just write them out in pen on printer paper? What did other people do?

User avatar
hotburrito
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:40 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby hotburrito » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:04 am

Also - is this a good or bad thing? I have good grades, but were they not good enough before? What gives?

legends159
Posts: 1089
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:12 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby legends159 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:16 am

hotburrito wrote:Also - is this a good or bad thing? I have good grades, but were they not good enough before? What gives?


traditionally it has been a good thing. Last year, almost everyone on TLS who got them got in. However, rumors have floated that they've been doing more grade requests. FWIW I hope it's a good thing since I got one too (and my GPA is very high already)

m_baum
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:34 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby m_baum » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:26 am

I'm ED and got a grade request on December 16th. I still have not received a decision. Is anyone else in this situation? This is maddening.

User avatar
Source
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:06 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Source » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:29 am

I wish they would do LSAT requests so I could hear something... anything...

Columbia: "Sup Source, lsat still xxx?"
Me: "Umm... yeah."
Columbia: "kthx ttyl"

TALK TO ME CLS.

User avatar
Prodigy
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Prodigy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:45 am

hotburrito wrote:
Prodigy wrote:
yagrish wrote:I'm a little confused here - did any RD applicants receive a request for fall grades or is it just ED still?


Both have received them


I'm RD and just got one. When it says I can send them my grades in a "personal letter," does that mean I can just write them out in pen on printer paper? What did other people do?


I sent them the update about my grades in an email and that was completely fine.

User avatar
Prodigy
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Prodigy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:46 am

m_baum wrote:I'm ED and got a grade request on December 16th. I still have not received a decision. Is anyone else in this situation? This is maddening.


I would email them and ask them WTF their doing.

Actually I wouldn't have the balls to do that, but maybe you do.

User avatar
LegalColorado
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:55 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby LegalColorado » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:10 am

I got the email asking for grade updates today. UGH.

I sent them a letter today. Do you guys think I should send an email as well?

User avatar
deneuve39
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby deneuve39 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:45 am

I called them last Friday (I was in the same situation--hadn't heard back since sending them my grades Dec. 22) and they said all the decisions would be out by the end of next week (that is, tomorrow). FWIW I heard early afternoon on the Friday via e-mail...

EngineeringLawyer
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:56 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby EngineeringLawyer » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:51 am

:)
Last edited by EngineeringLawyer on Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EngineeringLawyer
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:56 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby EngineeringLawyer » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:53 am

:)
Last edited by EngineeringLawyer on Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EngineeringLawyer
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:56 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby EngineeringLawyer » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:04 pm

:)
Last edited by EngineeringLawyer on Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
whyamidoingthis
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:31 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby whyamidoingthis » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:39 pm

Thanks E.L., that's a huge help! I guess I'm just going to have to monitor things closely and make sure someone is able to send my deposit if I'm not in the U.S. at that point. Five days is so short, what if you have to mail a check?? :?

User avatar
RussianGirl
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:06 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby RussianGirl » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:48 pm

No grade request... damnnn :(

User avatar
Prodigy
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Prodigy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:08 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiS8gYg9IUw

I can't get this damn song out of my head. :shock:

User avatar
skiridedrive
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:22 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby skiridedrive » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:04 pm

legends159 wrote:
hotburrito wrote:Also - is this a good or bad thing? I have good grades, but were they not good enough before? What gives?


traditionally it has been a good thing. Last year, almost everyone on TLS who got them got in. However, rumors have floated that they've been doing more grade requests. FWIW I hope it's a good thing since I got one too (and my GPA is very high already)



Did many people get in without grade requests? I haven't received one. Is it possible they won't request one if your app gpa was high?
3.97

eri
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:02 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby eri » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:15 pm

Congrats to everyone here! I haven't heard from Columbia yet but hopefully I'll get to meet some of you at ASW!

I know this was mentioned several posts ago, and that it refers to NYU and not Columbia, but since someone asked I just wanted to comment on my experience with multiple LSATs. I had a high/mid 160s and then went up 7 points on the next test to a 174. NYU told me specifically over the phone that unless I gave them an addendum they would average my scores. I decided not to do an addendum (every draft I wrote sounded too whiny) and just see what happened, and I got into NYU within a month or so of applying, as well as Harvard (within about three weeks). So to all with multiple LSAT scores, I think the "average" thing is bull - they want to report a high score, period.

User avatar
yagrish
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby yagrish » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:21 pm

skiridedrive wrote:
legends159 wrote:
hotburrito wrote:Also - is this a good or bad thing? I have good grades, but were they not good enough before? What gives?


traditionally it has been a good thing. Last year, almost everyone on TLS who got them got in. However, rumors have floated that they've been doing more grade requests. FWIW I hope it's a good thing since I got one too (and my GPA is very high already)



Did many people get in without grade requests? I haven't received one. Is it possible they won't request one if your app gpa was high?
3.97


I don't know why they'll t request it if you're an auto-admit (I don't think straight A students tend to fail their second to last semester).

The whole grade request thing is so unsettling - I didn't receive one either, but I sent my fall grades in anyway. My GPA is at CLS 75% mark, so I'm just hoping that it is not a requirement for admission.

jcwilsn1
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:35 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby jcwilsn1 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:31 pm

eri wrote:Congrats to everyone here! I haven't heard from Columbia yet but hopefully I'll get to meet some of you at ASW!

I know this was mentioned several posts ago, and that it refers to NYU and not Columbia, but since someone asked I just wanted to comment on my experience with multiple LSATs. I had a high/mid 160s and then went up 7 points on the next test to a 174. NYU told me specifically over the phone that unless I gave them an addendum they would average my scores. I decided not to do an addendum (every draft I wrote sounded too whiny) and just see what happened, and I got into NYU within a month or so of applying, as well as Harvard (within about three weeks). So to all with multiple LSAT scores, I think the "average" thing is bull - they want to report a high score, period.


You sir or maam, just made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

User avatar
iceberger
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:24 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby iceberger » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:41 pm

yagrish wrote:
skiridedrive wrote:
legends159 wrote:
hotburrito wrote:Also - is this a good or bad thing? I have good grades, but were they not good enough before? What gives?


traditionally it has been a good thing. Last year, almost everyone on TLS who got them got in. However, rumors have floated that they've been doing more grade requests. FWIW I hope it's a good thing since I got one too (and my GPA is very high already)



Did many people get in without grade requests? I haven't received one. Is it possible they won't request one if your app gpa was high?
3.97


I don't know why they'll t request it if you're an auto-admit (I don't think straight A students tend to fail their second to last semester).

The whole grade request thing is so unsettling - I didn't receive one either, but I sent my fall grades in anyway. My GPA is at CLS 75% mark, so I'm just hoping that it is not a requirement for admission.



i've been worrying the same thing. my GPA is a bit above the 75% mark and I haven't received a fall grades request. my lsat is only at their median, so by no means am I an auto-admit...but it's been unsetttling with everyone else getting a request.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest