Columbia Law School 2012!

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
totebag
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:05 pm

.

Postby totebag » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:35 am

.
Last edited by totebag on Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DBreslin417
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:43 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby DBreslin417 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:33 am

Do any of the current students remember what the schedule for the first 3 weeks of Legal Methods was last year? I'm trying to book a flight for Sept. 4th and would like to do it as soon as possible to take advantage of low fares.

User avatar
whyamidoingthis
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:31 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby whyamidoingthis » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:48 am

Anyone else a little irritated that we don't get our schedules/required booklists until orientation?

User avatar
LoveButton
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:31 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby LoveButton » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:20 am

whyamidoingthis wrote:Anyone else a little irritated that we don't get our schedules/required booklists until orientation?


If you did, I guarantee there would be classmates (maybe you?) who would read the whole damn things, and there would be at least one person who would outline all of the books prior to orientation. People get crazy before first semester no matter where you are. I sort of appreciate that CLS does what it can to minimize the potential for crazy. There's really no need to have that information now.

User avatar
whyamidoingthis
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:31 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby whyamidoingthis » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:12 am

LoveButton wrote:
whyamidoingthis wrote:Anyone else a little irritated that we don't get our schedules/required booklists until orientation?


If you did, I guarantee there would be classmates (maybe you?) who would read the whole damn things, and there would be at least one person who would outline all of the books prior to orientation. People get crazy before first semester no matter where you are. I sort of appreciate that CLS does what it can to minimize the potential for crazy. There's really no need to have that information now.


I understand your point when it comes to booklists, but having my schedule would be helpful since I have several trips that HAVE to be made and I would like to book them while I'm not worrying about other things/have money. I don't work ahead (as you imply above), but I do have to plan ahead and there are other people's schedules depending on mine.

User avatar
LoveButton
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:31 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby LoveButton » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:15 am

whyamidoingthis wrote:
LoveButton wrote:
whyamidoingthis wrote:Anyone else a little irritated that we don't get our schedules/required booklists until orientation?


If you did, I guarantee there would be classmates (maybe you?) who would read the whole damn things, and there would be at least one person who would outline all of the books prior to orientation. People get crazy before first semester no matter where you are. I sort of appreciate that CLS does what it can to minimize the potential for crazy. There's really no need to have that information now.


I understand your point when it comes to booklists, but having my schedule would be helpful since I have several trips that HAVE to be made and I would like to book them while I'm not worrying about other things/have money. I don't work ahead (as you imply above), but I do have to plan ahead and there are other people's schedules depending on mine.


I didn't mean to insult you, and I apologize if it came across that way.

Based on the course offerings for the semester, no CLS 1Ls will have a core class that meets on Fridays. Your legal writing class may meet on Friday, but if you have to skip it for a trip, it's not the end of the world - the class is pass/fail. Not sure if this is the kind of information that you need to plan your trips, but there it is.

User avatar
whyamidoingthis
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:31 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby whyamidoingthis » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:20 am

LoveButton wrote:
whyamidoingthis wrote:
LoveButton wrote:
whyamidoingthis wrote:Anyone else a little irritated that we don't get our schedules/required booklists until orientation?


If you did, I guarantee there would be classmates (maybe you?) who would read the whole damn things, and there would be at least one person who would outline all of the books prior to orientation. People get crazy before first semester no matter where you are. I sort of appreciate that CLS does what it can to minimize the potential for crazy. There's really no need to have that information now.


I understand your point when it comes to booklists, but having my schedule would be helpful since I have several trips that HAVE to be made and I would like to book them while I'm not worrying about other things/have money. I don't work ahead (as you imply above), but I do have to plan ahead and there are other people's schedules depending on mine.


I didn't mean to insult you, and I apologize if it came across that way.

Based on the course offerings for the semester, no CLS 1Ls will have a core class that meets on Fridays. Your legal writing class may meet on Friday, but if you have to skip it for a trip, it's not the end of the world - the class is pass/fail. Not sure if this is the kind of information that you need to plan your trips, but there it is.


I saw the general class schedule that someone helpfully posted on the 1L forum (thanks to whomever!) and that there are no friday classes, which is good, but oddly enough, I need to know my schedule on a couple of wednesdays/thursdays...
Last edited by whyamidoingthis on Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdw06005
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:22 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby jdw06005 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:53 am

00TREX00 wrote:I wouldn't recommend this strategy. True, you can get whole cases from Lexis/Westlaw, but many cases in textbooks are annotated. You don't want to be reading a ton of extra stuff. More importantly, the notes in the casebooks can be crucial. I had one or two classes last year where the professor didn't rely on notes, but these are the exception. Commonly, the notes will be a good synopsis of the policy points that the professor expects you to get from a specific doctrine. In some of my classes, like property, the notes were basically hornbook-style, elaborating on and clarifying the doctrinal areas.
It isn't, however, necessary to get the most current edition of the casebook. If anyone wants to buy some of mine from last year, I'll sell for like 20 bucks a piece. None of them are highlighted to any significant extent. Morrison for Contracts first semester? Hit me up.


Thanks. Any good used bookstores around the area that might have cheap casebooks for sale?

User avatar
Lem37
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:50 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Lem37 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:32 pm

So, I signed the lease for/visited my and aspasia's new apartment. It is quite nice! Aaaaand, utilities are included, which means I am going to air condition that bitch up. I'll be in there permanently starting Monday, so let's meet up, fellow CLS students!

sbalive
Posts: 399
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:05 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby sbalive » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:50 pm

I just booked a mover for next Sunday (the 9th) :shock:

sbalive
Posts: 399
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:05 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby sbalive » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:51 pm

LoveButton wrote:
whyamidoingthis wrote:
LoveButton wrote:
whyamidoingthis wrote:Anyone else a little irritated that we don't get our schedules/required booklists until orientation?


If you did, I guarantee there would be classmates (maybe you?) who would read the whole damn things, and there would be at least one person who would outline all of the books prior to orientation. People get crazy before first semester no matter where you are. I sort of appreciate that CLS does what it can to minimize the potential for crazy. There's really no need to have that information now.


I understand your point when it comes to booklists, but having my schedule would be helpful since I have several trips that HAVE to be made and I would like to book them while I'm not worrying about other things/have money. I don't work ahead (as you imply above), but I do have to plan ahead and there are other people's schedules depending on mine.


I didn't mean to insult you, and I apologize if it came across that way.

Based on the course offerings for the semester, no CLS 1Ls will have a core class that meets on Fridays. Your legal writing class may meet on Friday, but if you have to skip it for a trip, it's not the end of the world - the class is pass/fail. Not sure if this is the kind of information that you need to plan your trips, but there it is.


If legal writing winds up being on Friday, has there ever been any success in anyone moving it if they were able to point to a good reason? I imagine any appeals like that might not be widely publicized, but I'm curious.

User avatar
LoveButton
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:31 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby LoveButton » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:57 pm

sbalive wrote:If legal writing winds up being on Friday, has there ever been any success in anyone moving it if they were able to point to a good reason? I imagine any appeals like that might not be widely publicized, but I'm curious.


Yep! In second semester, my 11-person legal writing class succeeded in moving our class to Monday afternoon. It took a few weeks, and we had a particularly nice and accommodating professor, but it is certainly possible if people are willing and if schedules align. You just have to ask.

jdw06005 wrote:Thanks. Any good used bookstores around the area that might have cheap casebooks for sale?


The public interest law foundation (PILF) has a used book sale during orientation and at the beginning of the semester. You might not be able to find the edition you need, but most books are there.

Also, upperclassmen (like me) will probably be selling books, too. The lawnet forum will probably light up with people selling books once orientation begins.

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby 06132010 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:34 pm

Lem37 wrote:So, I signed the lease for/visited my and aspasia's new apartment. It is quite nice! Aaaaand, utilities are included, which means I am going to air condition that bitch up. I'll be in there permanently starting Monday, so let's meet up, fellow CLS students!


I'll be back after this Saturday if we can actually get a meet up together.

User avatar
deneuve39
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby deneuve39 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:42 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:
Lem37 wrote:So, I signed the lease for/visited my and aspasia's new apartment. It is quite nice! Aaaaand, utilities are included, which means I am going to air condition that bitch up. I'll be in there permanently starting Monday, so let's meet up, fellow CLS students!


I'll be back after this Saturday if we can actually get a meet up together.


I move in Tuesday and I'd love to meet up with you all after that!

User avatar
whyamidoingthis
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:31 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby whyamidoingthis » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:01 pm

deneuve39 wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:
Lem37 wrote:So, I signed the lease for/visited my and aspasia's new apartment. It is quite nice! Aaaaand, utilities are included, which means I am going to air condition that bitch up. I'll be in there permanently starting Monday, so let's meet up, fellow CLS students!


I'll be back after this Saturday if we can actually get a meet up together.


I move in Tuesday and I'd love to meet up with you all after that!


Moving in Monday!

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby 06132010 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:49 pm

hm what should we do? happy hour? dinner? we should probably post it on Facebook/the forum on Lawnet too.

User avatar
DrmgSprs
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 9:11 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby DrmgSprs » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:30 pm

I'll get in on Thursday, so maybe we can have a second event towards the weekend too?

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby 06132010 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:48 pm

DrmgSprs wrote:I'll get in on Thursday, so maybe we can have a second event towards the weekend too?


or we could just schedule it for the weekend, since more people will probably be around then.

User avatar
frank_the_tank
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby frank_the_tank » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:50 pm

RAWRRRR :twisted: Aug 10th

p.s. lex pm me your numberrr

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby 06132010 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:54 pm

frank_the_tank wrote:RAWRRRR :twisted: Aug 10th

p.s. lex pm me your numberrr


oh, calm down, we'll do multiple happy hours.

User avatar
DrmgSprs
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 9:11 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby DrmgSprs » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:57 pm

Did anyone get the email confirmation after they mailed in the immunization form? I mailed mine in over 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet.

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby 06132010 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:02 pm

DrmgSprs wrote:Did anyone get the email confirmation after they mailed in the immunization form? I mailed mine in over 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet.


No... and I sent mine at least a month ago. Columbia seems to only let you know when something is missing.

UnknownElementX
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:43 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby UnknownElementX » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:15 pm

I'll be in Sunday and signing lease on Monday

User avatar
frank_the_tank
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby frank_the_tank » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:43 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:
DrmgSprs wrote:Did anyone get the email confirmation after they mailed in the immunization form? I mailed mine in over 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet.


No... and I sent mine at least a month ago. Columbia seems to only let you know when something is missing.


Hmm..I got confirmation awhile back. Sent it to my Columbia e-mail.

Dear Student,

We have received your Immunization (Measles, Mumps and Rubella)
documentation and would like to inform you that your documentation is
complete, and you are compliant with New York State Public Health Law
(PL2165).

zero1
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:50 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby zero1 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:56 pm

whyamidoingthis wrote:
deneuve39 wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:
Lem37 wrote:So, I signed the lease for/visited my and aspasia's new apartment. It is quite nice! Aaaaand, utilities are included, which means I am going to air condition that bitch up. I'll be in there permanently starting Monday, so let's meet up, fellow CLS students!


I'll be back after this Saturday if we can actually get a meet up together.


I move in Tuesday and I'd love to meet up with you all after that!


Moving in Monday!


Thursday for me.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest