Columbia Law School 2012!

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
MeTalkPrettyOneDay
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:46 pm

particleman wrote:Hey everyone. Has there been any discussion about roommates for off-campus housing? My UAH assignment was terrible so I declined and now I'm looking for a 2BR near campus. Anyone out there need a roommate?

Sorry about the rough UAH assignment. That's brutal. Check out the CLS Forums (linked through AdmitNet and LawNet). You'll find a whole forum dedicated to housing. Good luck!

User avatar
Lem37
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:50 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Lem37 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:00 pm

Hey guys,

I'm trying to sign up for health insurance, and on the first page it asks for a Valid Identification Number. I tried my UNI, but it won't accept letters. Would this be the numbers in our UNI? Or is it our PID ("C-number")?

User avatar
frank_the_tank
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby frank_the_tank » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:35 pm

Lem37 wrote:Hey guys,

I'm trying to sign up for health insurance, and on the first page it asks for a Valid Identification Number. I tried my UNI, but it won't accept letters. Would this be the numbers in our UNI? Or is it our PID ("C-number")?


Do we have to sign up? I was confused when I went to the site. It says it is automatic but then also gives the option to "confirm automatic enrollment" or something like that. What gives?

User avatar
Lem37
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:50 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Lem37 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:36 pm

frank_the_tank wrote:
Lem37 wrote:Hey guys,

I'm trying to sign up for health insurance, and on the first page it asks for a Valid Identification Number. I tried my UNI, but it won't accept letters. Would this be the numbers in our UNI? Or is it our PID ("C-number")?


Do we have to sign up? I was confused when I went to the site. It says it is automatic but then also gives the option to "confirm automatic enrollment" or something like that. What gives?


Well, I'm signing up for early enrollment so I'm covered this month. No clue, tho. The health website is like a box of tangled of Christmas lights.

User avatar
specialist73
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:32 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby specialist73 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:43 pm

Lem37 wrote:Hey guys,

I'm trying to sign up for health insurance, and on the first page it asks for a Valid Identification Number. I tried my UNI, but it won't accept letters. Would this be the numbers in our UNI? Or is it our PID ("C-number")?


the "abc1234" identifier assoc. w/ my .edu email address worked for me...

vegcat
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:15 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby vegcat » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:49 am

Lem37 wrote:Hey guys,

I'm trying to sign up for health insurance, and on the first page it asks for a Valid Identification Number. I tried my UNI, but it won't accept letters. Would this be the numbers in our UNI? Or is it our PID ("C-number")?


I used my PID but without the C, and it seemed to go through ok.

sbalive
Posts: 399
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:05 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby sbalive » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:00 pm

Catching up on this thread makes me realize just how far behind I am! I'm still trying to work out getting my Dean's certification letters sent :shock:

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby 06132010 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:03 pm

sbalive wrote:Catching up on this thread makes me realize just how far behind I am! I'm still trying to work out getting my Dean's certification letters sent :shock:


It's alright. I just redid all my loans.

sbalive
Posts: 399
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:05 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby sbalive » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:09 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:
sbalive wrote:Catching up on this thread makes me realize just how far behind I am! I'm still trying to work out getting my Dean's certification letters sent :shock:


It's alright. I just redid all my loans.


Oh good god. Please don't remind me about that. Now I'm even more panicked.

I'm just glad I got my housing stuff worked out, I think. Does the date we selected when picking housing actual = the real move-in date?

User avatar
frank_the_tank
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby frank_the_tank » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:18 pm

sbalive wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:
sbalive wrote:Catching up on this thread makes me realize just how far behind I am! I'm still trying to work out getting my Dean's certification letters sent :shock:


It's alright. I just redid all my loans.


Oh good god. Please don't remind me about that. Now I'm even more panicked.

I'm just glad I got my housing stuff worked out, I think. Does the date we selected when picking housing actual = the real move-in date?


I asked and they said any weekday after the date you are assigned is OK. I requested August 10-14 and they said I could move in on the 10th.

User avatar
deneuve39
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby deneuve39 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:29 pm

Did anyone get a confirmation of the dean's certification? I gave the form to my school's admin office like 6 weeks ago and haven't heard anything from CLS....

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby 06132010 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:34 pm

deneuve39 wrote:Did anyone get a confirmation of the dean's certification? I gave the form to my school's admin office like 6 weeks ago and haven't heard anything from CLS....


I sent mine months ago and never got a confirmation. I just assumed they don't send one.

sbalive
Posts: 399
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:05 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby sbalive » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:35 pm

frank_the_tank wrote:
sbalive wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:
sbalive wrote:Catching up on this thread makes me realize just how far behind I am! I'm still trying to work out getting my Dean's certification letters sent :shock:


It's alright. I just redid all my loans.


Oh good god. Please don't remind me about that. Now I'm even more panicked.

I'm just glad I got my housing stuff worked out, I think. Does the date we selected when picking housing actual = the real move-in date?


I asked and they said any weekday after the date you are assigned is OK. I requested August 10-14 and they said I could move in on the 10th.


Huh. I ended up picking up a specific day (I was offered an option of all the weekdays in the week I'd requested as my first choice) - I assume that's when rent starts being paid, and one could presumably move in whenever - it was kind of weird though, because I thought we'd have more flexibility. I guess I'll call and make sure, but I would like to move that 2nd weekend in August and get settled in.

sbalive
Posts: 399
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:05 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby sbalive » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:36 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:
deneuve39 wrote:Did anyone get a confirmation of the dean's certification? I gave the form to my school's admin office like 6 weeks ago and haven't heard anything from CLS....


I sent mine months ago and never got a confirmation. I just assumed they don't send one.


Jill would have emailed you a gentle reminder by now if they hadn't received it yet :oops:

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby 06132010 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:42 pm

sbalive wrote:
Huh. I ended up picking up a specific day (I was offered an option of all the weekdays in the week I'd requested as my first choice) - I assume that's when rent starts being paid, and one could presumably move in whenever - it was kind of weird though, because I thought we'd have more flexibility. I guess I'll call and make sure, but I would like to move that 2nd weekend in August and get settled in.


In your E-mail with the housing offer it contains move in instructions:

"Once your arrival date is confirmed, contact the UAH at (212) 851-7349 and leave a message with your preferred appointment time, or E-mail uah@columbia.edu. We suggest contacting our office one week prior to your move-in date in order to schedule an appointment to sign your rental agreement."

When I called it asked me to leave my name, my specific move in date of choice, although I already gave them one, my preferred appointment time and my address. You go to the UAH office on the date you choose with two passport-sized photos and sign your lease. I think rent starts being paid on that date.

sbalive
Posts: 399
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:05 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby sbalive » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:47 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:
sbalive wrote:
Huh. I ended up picking up a specific day (I was offered an option of all the weekdays in the week I'd requested as my first choice) - I assume that's when rent starts being paid, and one could presumably move in whenever - it was kind of weird though, because I thought we'd have more flexibility. I guess I'll call and make sure, but I would like to move that 2nd weekend in August and get settled in.


In your E-mail with the housing offer it contains move in instructions:

"Once your arrival date is confirmed, contact the UAH at (212) 851-7349 and leave a message with your preferred appointment time, or E-mail uah@columbia.edu. We suggest contacting our office one week prior to your move-in date in order to schedule an appointment to sign your rental agreement."

When I called it asked me to leave my name, my specific move in date of choice, although I already gave them one, my preferred appointment time and my address. You go to the UAH office on the date you choose with two passport-sized photos and sign your lease. I think rent starts being paid on that date.


You're awesome! This is really appreciated, thanks! Things were chaotic because I was on a trip and I missed that... I'll review that and follow the instructions. I'm a little puzzled about the photos requirement, but whatever.

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby 06132010 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:50 pm

sbalive wrote:
You're awesome! This is really appreciated, thanks! Things were chaotic because I was on a trip and I missed that... I'll review that and follow the instructions. I'm a little puzzled about the photos requirement, but whatever.


No problem. Don't stress, Columbia is incredibly helpful.

I don't really get the photo thing either. I guess it's just to verify that you are indeed yourself... lol.

"To sign your rental agreement, please go to the UAH office located at 401 West 119th Street, New York, New York, and bring the following:

* Two (2) passport size photos of yourself, your partner and children.
* Your Social security number or, if not available, your passport to be photocopied by UAH..."

sbalive
Posts: 399
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:05 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby sbalive » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:55 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:Don't stress, Columbia is incredibly helpful.


Totally! I'm really impressed... I was freaking out about how I was going to work out housing while on my trip, and they ended up breaking up my deposit in 2 pieces, giving me a 2 week extension, etc. Really nice in situations where they could have been jerks.

User avatar
deneuve39
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby deneuve39 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:46 pm

sbalive wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:
deneuve39 wrote:Did anyone get a confirmation of the dean's certification? I gave the form to my school's admin office like 6 weeks ago and haven't heard anything from CLS....


I sent mine months ago and never got a confirmation. I just assumed they don't send one.


Jill would have emailed you a gentle reminder by now if they hadn't received it yet :oops:


Thanks! For some reason I've been finding myself worrying about minor details as my move-in date approaches (3 weeks!).

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby 06132010 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:47 pm

deneuve39 wrote:
Thanks! For some reason I've been finding myself worrying about minor details as my move-in date approaches (3 weeks!).


3 days for me!

User avatar
MeTalkPrettyOneDay
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:10 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:
deneuve39 wrote:
Thanks! For some reason I've been finding myself worrying about minor details as my move-in date approaches (3 weeks!).


3 days for me!

:shock: That's pretty sweet.

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby 06132010 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:21 pm

so excited :D

User avatar
DrmgSprs
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 9:11 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby DrmgSprs » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:01 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:3 days for me!


You will have to give us all a full update when you move in on the move-in procedure, your apartment, and Columbia-area life in general!

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby 06132010 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:03 pm

DrmgSprs wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:3 days for me!


You will have to give us all a full update when you move in on the move-in procedure, your apartment, and Columbia-area life in general!


I'll definitely keep you guys updated.

asealclubber
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:12 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby asealclubber » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:07 pm

What're you going to be doing for a whole month before legal methods??




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest