Columbia Law School 2012!

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
Lem37
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:50 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Lem37 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:21 pm

frank_the_tank wrote:hrmmm UAH site is down for me. =\


Mine was down this morning before my status changed. :shock:

User avatar
MeTalkPrettyOneDay
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:26 pm

saveferris2785 wrote:If we're screwed coming out of law school, then so is pretty much every other law school grad in the country, and if that's the case, then the problems with the economy are much broader in scope than anyone could have predicted and wayyy beyond our control.

TITCR. C'mon, it's CLS.

Still waiting on housing. Maybe I'll get my assignment this week :)

User avatar
frank_the_tank
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby frank_the_tank » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:52 pm

Just sent Elizabeth an e-mail...hopefully she can help~ =)

jpaul09
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:26 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby jpaul09 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:01 pm

Never got a housing approval e-mail -- I just got the assignment offer. It says we need to pay by 6/28, which is a Sunday. I wonder if that means ours is due Friday, the last business day?

User avatar
frank_the_tank
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby frank_the_tank » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:02 pm

frank_the_tank wrote:Just sent Elizabeth an e-mail...hopefully she can help~ =)



lol that was quick. 419 W 115th furnished 3 bedroom share. She told me the main details...I didnt get the e-mail from UAH yet so I dont know the specifics.

Pretty much exactly what I requested.


sweeeet
Elizabeth Grainger wrote:Also, just FYI -- this is one of the largest rooms in our housing on W 115th St: the apartment itself is 1189 square feet, making it one of the most spacious, and your bedroom is 200 sq ft. By NYC standards, that's very big. You'll get a floorplan with the offer, but I just wanted to let you know in the meantime.
Last edited by frank_the_tank on Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vegcat
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:15 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby vegcat » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:04 pm

Got my housing assignment today! On 118th, which looks really close to the school. It looks like my roommate is a 3L though, which is kind of strange. I guess that could be cool, maybe she'll share outlines with me or something?

jfab202
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:26 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby jfab202 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:07 pm

jpaul09 wrote:Never got a housing approval e-mail -- I just got the assignment offer. It says we need to pay by 6/28, which is a Sunday. I wonder if that means ours is due Friday, the last business day?


Does everyone need to pay by 6/28? Or is your payment date based on when you receive your housing assignment?

User avatar
Antipodean
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:40 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Antipodean » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:14 pm

jfab202 wrote:
jpaul09 wrote:Never got a housing approval e-mail -- I just got the assignment offer. It says we need to pay by 6/28, which is a Sunday. I wonder if that means ours is due Friday, the last business day?


Does everyone need to pay by 6/28? Or is your payment date based on when you receive your housing assignment?

"5 days after receiving your offer" is the deadline. I'm afraid that I have no idea how weekends are counted.

User avatar
whyamidoingthis
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:31 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby whyamidoingthis » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:32 pm

frank_the_tank wrote:
frank_the_tank wrote:Just sent Elizabeth an e-mail...hopefully she can help~ =)



lol that was quick. 419 W 115th furnished 3 bedroom share. She told me the main details...I didnt get the e-mail from UAH yet so I dont know the specifics.

Pretty much exactly what I requested.


sweeeet
Elizabeth Grainger wrote:Also, just FYI -- this is one of the largest rooms in our housing on W 115th St: the apartment itself is 1189 square feet, making it one of the most spacious, and your bedroom is 200 sq ft. By NYC standards, that's very big. You'll get a floorplan with the offer, but I just wanted to let you know in the meantime.


I'm so jealous. I asked for a big room and I only got 130 sq ft. What are you paying? If I may ask...

User avatar
frank_the_tank
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby frank_the_tank » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:34 pm

whyamidoingthis wrote:
I'm so jealous. I asked for a big room and I only got 130 sq ft. What are you paying? If I may ask...



Not sure yet..eeeek :?

User avatar
MeTalkPrettyOneDay
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:38 pm

Antipodean wrote:
jfab202 wrote:
jpaul09 wrote:Never got a housing approval e-mail -- I just got the assignment offer. It says we need to pay by 6/28, which is a Sunday. I wonder if that means ours is due Friday, the last business day?


Does everyone need to pay by 6/28? Or is your payment date based on when you receive your housing assignment?

"5 days after receiving your offer" is the deadline. I'm afraid that I have no idea how weekends are counted.

It's five calendar days. So weekends seem to count...

My status changed to approved... so I guess I should hear today or tomorrow :D

User avatar
whyamidoingthis
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:31 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby whyamidoingthis » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:46 pm

[]
haha Frank if your rent is too high, I'll trade you!

User avatar
specialist73
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:32 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby specialist73 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:27 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:So, uh, not to be a douche or anything, but can I show you guys the place where I'll be living with a couple of friends from the city?

Floorplan: http://www.quickfilepost.com/download.d ... 58e9410d20

Some details:

-96th and Amsterdam (1 block from the 1/2/3)
-Doorman
-Laundry in building
-21st floor
-Unobstructed views of the Hudson
-Just renovated - marble countertops and stainless steel appliances
-$1150/person/month

I figured we might be able to get a good deal what with the real estate market nowdays, etc, but I didn't expect this. Sure it's a 10-15 minute commute, but in my mind worth it.


I almost took an apartment in that building...pretty freakin' stylish reno. Fantastic kitchens/bathrooms!

I got scared off by the ongoing problems between the TA and the management company. Feeling a twinge of jealousy now, though :wink:

Edited because I realized chuckbass might not want the name of his building on TLS...

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby imchuckbass58 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:37 pm

specialist73 wrote:
I almost took an apartment in that building...pretty freakin' stylish reno. Fantastic kitchens/bathrooms!

I got scared off by the ongoing problems between the TA and the management company. Feeling a twinge of jealousy now, though :wink:

Edited because I realized chuckbass might not want the name of his building on TLS...


Yeah, we heard about the building's "issues." My perspective was, however, that if the complaint was only that the management was unresponsive, that wasn't a big deal to me, since frankly, all NYC management companies are unresponsive.

We were more concerned about the problem tenants, and actually almost backed out, but what reassured us was we independently contacted the people in our apartment right now, as well as a couple of other tenants, and they all said that 1) The people causing trouble on the 2nd floor had been evicted, and 2) They had no problems with the building, their neighbors, or anything like that. The few RC/RS tenants left are mostly nice elderly people who are either friendly or mind their own business.

We'll see how it goes....ask me in about mid-august. I figure if there are any problems I can just casually mention I'm a student at CLS and am aware of my legal rights (just kidding.....maybe not).

User avatar
Skadden Stairs
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:47 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Skadden Stairs » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:58 pm

"UAH is in the process of assigning you housing."

Murrrr...

User avatar
specialist73
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:32 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby specialist73 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:09 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:Yeah, we heard about the building's "issues." My perspective was, however, that if the complaint was only that the management was unresponsive, that wasn't a big deal to me, since frankly, all NYC management companies are unresponsive.

We were more concerned about the problem tenants, and actually almost backed out, but what reassured us was we independently contacted the people in our apartment right now, as well as a couple of other tenants, and they all said that 1) The people causing trouble on the 2nd floor had been evicted, and 2) They had no problems with the building, their neighbors, or anything like that. The few RC/RS tenants left are mostly nice elderly people who are either friendly or mind their own business.

We'll see how it goes....ask me in about mid-august. I figure if there are any problems I can just casually mention I'm a student at CLS and am aware of my legal rights (just kidding.....maybe not).


Yeah, I was concerned about issues on both sides of the tenant/mgmt. company divide.

Sounds like you made well-researched and rational decision. Were I not living alone, I might have felt the same way...

Sigh. Those apartments are so damn nice. Enjoy!

saveferris2785
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:39 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby saveferris2785 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:44 pm

lex talionis wrote:"UAH is in the process of assigning you housing."

Murrrr...


+1, my status just switched...come on, good news tomorrow!

User avatar
Lem37
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:50 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Lem37 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:41 pm

whyamidoingthis wrote:
frank_the_tank wrote:
frank_the_tank wrote:Just sent Elizabeth an e-mail...hopefully she can help~ =)



lol that was quick. 419 W 115th furnished 3 bedroom share. She told me the main details...I didnt get the e-mail from UAH yet so I dont know the specifics.

Pretty much exactly what I requested.


sweeeet
Elizabeth Grainger wrote:Also, just FYI -- this is one of the largest rooms in our housing on W 115th St: the apartment itself is 1189 square feet, making it one of the most spacious, and your bedroom is 200 sq ft. By NYC standards, that's very big. You'll get a floorplan with the offer, but I just wanted to let you know in the meantime.


I'm so jealous. I asked for a big room and I only got 130 sq ft. What are you paying? If I may ask...


Also got 130 sq ft., and what looks like half a window. Sigh.

totebag
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:05 pm

.

Postby totebag » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:38 pm

.
Last edited by totebag on Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Antipodean
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:40 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Antipodean » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:17 pm

Lem37 wrote:
whyamidoingthis wrote:I'm so jealous. I asked for a big room and I only got 130 sq ft. What are you paying? If I may ask...


Also got 130 sq ft., and what looks like half a window. Sigh.

I'm also in the 130 sq ft. club. I suppose that's pretty much the standard size for a NYC bedroom.

User avatar
dachillchick
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:09 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby dachillchick » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:35 pm

I too am in the 130 sq ft club, but I've had worse so I am not complaining. :)

yqsong
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby yqsong » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:39 pm

Lem37 wrote:
whyamidoingthis wrote:
frank_the_tank wrote:
frank_the_tank wrote:Just sent Elizabeth an e-mail...hopefully she can help~ =)



lol that was quick. 419 W 115th furnished 3 bedroom share. She told me the main details...I didnt get the e-mail from UAH yet so I dont know the specifics.

Pretty much exactly what I requested.


sweeeet
Elizabeth Grainger wrote:Also, just FYI -- this is one of the largest rooms in our housing on W 115th St: the apartment itself is 1189 square feet, making it one of the most spacious, and your bedroom is 200 sq ft. By NYC standards, that's very big. You'll get a floorplan with the offer, but I just wanted to let you know in the meantime.


I'm so jealous. I asked for a big room and I only got 130 sq ft. What are you paying? If I may ask...


Also got 130 sq ft., and what looks like half a window. Sigh.



half a window? hmm...that is still a window, isn't? just kidding, so how small is this 1/2 window?

User avatar
aspasia
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 4:28 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby aspasia » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:48 am

Still nothing, still no status change. Am I the only one left whose status still says under review? Although I hate to bother her, it might be time to email Elizabeth Grainger...

User avatar
Lem37
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:50 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Lem37 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:50 am

yqsong wrote:
Lem37 wrote:
whyamidoingthis wrote:
frank_the_tank wrote:


I'm so jealous. I asked for a big room and I only got 130 sq ft. What are you paying? If I may ask...


Also got 130 sq ft., and what looks like half a window. Sigh.



half a window? hmm...that is still a window, isn't? just kidding, so how small is this 1/2 window?


In New York, a window is not a window unless it can fit an air conditioner unit. I have my doubts about this one.

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Unemployed » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:56 am

Still waiting... In a foreign country. :|




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest