Columbia Law School 2012!

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
Lem37
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:50 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Lem37 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:34 pm

DrmgSprs wrote:Lem- are we the only two here who haven't gotten housing yet? How long should we wait before checking to make sure we weren't forgotten/there is a problem?


I'm not sure. It sounds like they might be going by building (at least, has anyone on here been assigned to Lionsgate yet?). I'll probably call at the end of next week if I don't hear by then.

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby 06132010 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:41 pm

Antipodean wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:antipodean, when's your move in date? mine's really early (July 13th-17th) and I want to find Columbians to drink with.

Whoa, that is really early. I'm spending two weeks back in Sydney, so I won't arrive until August 11. We can drink every night after that, though. I'm bringing my liquor collection with me, in case you're running low by that point.


haha, excellent, I'm going to try to maintain a fully stocked bar through the grad student poverty, so we'll have lots of options.

User avatar
Antipodean
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:40 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Antipodean » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:32 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:haha, excellent, I'm going to try to maintain a fully stocked bar through the grad student poverty, so we'll have lots of options.

Sounds great. My place is just round the corner from Lenfast, so we'll be able to drop by each other's if we run out of, say, Campari.

Lem37 wrote:I'm not sure. It sounds like they might be going by building (at least, has anyone on here been assigned to Lionsgate yet?). I'll probably call at the end of next week if I don't hear by then.

This sounds like a very reasonable explanation. All the previous allocations seem to be in non-law buildings. Now we're seeing Lenfast and 115th St offers - perhaps Lionsgate will be next?

User avatar
Skadden Stairs
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:47 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Skadden Stairs » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:35 pm

Someone on the AdmitNet boards said they're trying to have all housing offers out by next week. That'd be nice.

yqsong
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby yqsong » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:44 pm

no housing assignment for me neither, wut the hell is taking them so long!
did anybody try to call?

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby 06132010 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:52 pm

jeez.. the gym by Columbia is freaking expensive. It's cheaper for me to buy a treadmill.

User avatar
frank_the_tank
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby frank_the_tank » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:53 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:jeez.. the gym by Columbia is freaking expensive. It's cheaper for me to buy a treadmill.


Did anyone check out Columbia's gym at the ASW? I heard it is small, but workable.

User avatar
Skadden Stairs
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:47 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Skadden Stairs » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:54 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:jeez.. the gym by Columbia is freaking expensive. It's cheaper for me to buy a treadmill.

which one? NYSC?

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby 06132010 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:56 pm

lex talionis wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:jeez.. the gym by Columbia is freaking expensive. It's cheaper for me to buy a treadmill.

which one? NYSC?


yeah... $69 a month seems a little expensive.

User avatar
Skadden Stairs
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:47 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Skadden Stairs » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:59 pm

Maybe this is a dumb question, but in non-Lenfest furnished housing, are the beds twin or dorm-style twin-xl?

jpaul09
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:26 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby jpaul09 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:16 pm

Non-Lenfest furnished -- I think the beds are Twin-XL.

No housing offer/approval for me yet, either. :?

jpaul09
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:26 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby jpaul09 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:19 pm

frank_the_tank wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:jeez.. the gym by Columbia is freaking expensive. It's cheaper for me to buy a treadmill.


Did anyone check out Columbia's gym at the ASW? I heard it is small, but workable.


I checked it out. Cardio sucks, unless you are one of those people who can run 40 laps in a circle and not go insane. (Their "indoor track" is .1 mile.) You have to sign in for half-hour slots on the cardio machines, and they're outdated. The weights looked decent to me, but I'm a girl, so I don't really familiarize myself with anything but the leg machines and (light) free weights.

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby 06132010 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:31 pm

jpaul09 wrote:
frank_the_tank wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:jeez.. the gym by Columbia is freaking expensive. It's cheaper for me to buy a treadmill.


Did anyone check out Columbia's gym at the ASW? I heard it is small, but workable.


I checked it out. Cardio sucks, unless you are one of those people who can run 40 laps in a circle and not go insane. (Their "indoor track" is .1 mile.) You have to sign in for half-hour slots on the cardio machines, and they're outdated. The weights looked decent to me, but I'm a girl, so I don't really familiarize myself with anything but the leg machines and (light) free weights.


Ha. If I had to run in 50 circles to get a workout I'd /self.

I'm seriously considering buying a cheap fold-up treadmill if there's enough room in my apartment.

User avatar
Skadden Stairs
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:47 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Skadden Stairs » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:32 pm

jpaul09 wrote:
frank_the_tank wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:jeez.. the gym by Columbia is freaking expensive. It's cheaper for me to buy a treadmill.


Did anyone check out Columbia's gym at the ASW? I heard it is small, but workable.


I checked it out. Cardio sucks, unless you are one of those people who can run 40 laps in a circle and not go insane. (Their "indoor track" is .1 mile.) You have to sign in for half-hour slots on the cardio machines, and they're outdated. The weights looked decent to me, but I'm a girl, so I don't really familiarize myself with anything but the leg machines and (light) free weights.

looks like it's time to invest in more winter UA. fuck, that'll blow a month's food budget fast.

jpaul09
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:26 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby jpaul09 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:38 pm

Yeah, I was thinking about a fold-up treadmill, but it's really easy to mess up your knees if the belt isn't quite right. But it'd probably be better than Columbia's machines...they looked fairly ancient. Can you get fold-up treadmills in and out of apartment buildings pretty easily?

As for the winter UA, I went for a longish run in Central Park one morning during the first March ASW, and it didn't feel [i]that[i] cold. I'm going to try to do my runs in one of the parks until the end of November and then head inside. Is anyone going to do that law students running club thing, by the way?

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby 06132010 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:41 pm

jpaul09 wrote:Yeah, I was thinking about a fold-up treadmill, but it's really easy to mess up your knees if the belt isn't quite right. But it'd probably be better than Columbia's machines...they looked fairly ancient. Can you get fold-up treadmills in and out of apartment buildings pretty easily?

As for the winter UA, I went for a longish run in Central Park one morning during the first March ASW, and it didn't feel [i]that[i] cold. I'm going to try to do my runs in one of the parks until the end of November and then head inside. Is anyone going to do that law students running club thing, by the way?


idk much about treadmills... you'd probably need some serious help moving it in or out though, fold up or not. I'm looking into how much delivery costs, lol. I'll get back to you.

what's the running club? I'd be interested in doing it...

saveferris2785
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:39 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby saveferris2785 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:44 pm

I haven't gotten the housing approval email either, hoping that there's not something wrong with my application...debating if I should call E Grainger tomorrow, any thoughts?

jpaul09
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:26 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby jpaul09 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:53 pm

Um, I think the running club was mentioned in the list of student organizations in that big blue binder Columbia sent us right around the time we were admitted. It's called Running from the Law or something like that? Who knows if it's really even active anymore, though.

I did find this page with all different runs around Columbia -- http://www.columbia.edu/~fdc/running/

jpaul09
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:26 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby jpaul09 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:54 pm

saveferris2785 wrote:I haven't gotten the housing approval email either, hoping that there's not something wrong with my application...debating if I should call E Grainger tomorrow, any thoughts?


I think I'm going to wait until mid-next week, but if you call tomorrow, let me know what she says!

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby 06132010 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:58 pm

jpaul09 wrote:Um, I think the running club was mentioned in the list of student organizations in that big blue binder Columbia sent us right around the time we were admitted. It's called Running from the Law or something like that? Who knows if it's really even active anymore, though.

I did find this page with all different runs around Columbia -- http://www.columbia.edu/~fdc/running/


nice, thanks.

I need some serious help in the treadmill department. I just did a quick search and there are thousands of options :? .

User avatar
DrmgSprs
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 9:11 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby DrmgSprs » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:47 am

I talked to some guys from the running club at the ASW. I definitely plan to join and run outside most of the year. Some of the guys from the club said they run year round outside, but I don't think I'm quite that tough.

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby 06132010 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:51 am

DrmgSprs wrote:I talked to some guys from the running club at the ASW. I definitely plan to join and run outside most of the year. Some of the guys from the club said they run year round outside, but I don't think I'm quite that tough.


I definitely plan to join and run until law school crushes my soul.

saveferris2785
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:39 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby saveferris2785 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:57 am

[quote="jpaul09"]I think I'm going to wait until mid-next week, but if you call tomorrow, let me know what she says![/qu

I definitely will, it's dumb that I'm being so impatient, I just wanna know!

User avatar
frank_the_tank
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby frank_the_tank » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:58 am

definitely.

saveferris2785
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:39 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby saveferris2785 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:59 am

booyakasha45 wrote:
DrmgSprs wrote:I talked to some guys from the running club at the ASW. I definitely plan to join and run outside most of the year. Some of the guys from the club said they run year round outside, but I don't think I'm quite that tough.


I definitely plan to join and run until law school crushes my soul.


We'll probably need running even more when our souls are crushed, something to keep us sane...that said, I definitely plan on checking it out




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest