Columbia Law School 2012!

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
NoodlesHighChief
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:34 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby NoodlesHighChief » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:01 pm

SleekFire wrote:Slightly off topic here but..

Does anyone know if there are racquetball courts in the gym or somewhere nearby? I just got into the game and wondering if it's worth it to buy a racket at this point?



There must be. But you should start playing squash instead. It is a more sophisticated game.

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby 06132010 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:02 pm

yqsong wrote:
When did you apply for housing? Does anyone know if they are handing out assignments based on whose application they receive first?


I applied either at the end of March or the first week in April, so I don't think they're giving out assignments based on when they received our applications.

User avatar
SleekFire
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:13 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby SleekFire » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:14 pm

NoodlesHighChief wrote:
SleekFire wrote:Slightly off topic here but..

Does anyone know if there are racquetball courts in the gym or somewhere nearby? I just got into the game and wondering if it's worth it to buy a racket at this point?



There must be. But you should start playing squash instead. It is a more sophisticated game.



I would be more then happy to give squash a try. The gym by my undergrad has racquetball courts, so we have been fooling around on those. I really enjoy the game and wanted to buy a nice racquet (stop using the 1980s ones the gym has ;-) ) but with a week left to school....

So, does anyone know foreshore?

User avatar
cameltaur
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:40 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby cameltaur » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:33 pm

There are squash courts in the main fitness center. You may be able to take out the tin to play racquetball, but i don't see why you'd ever want to.

And for the person that asked about room dimensions, you get a floorplan in your housing offer email.

User avatar
SleekFire
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:13 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby SleekFire » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:48 pm

Tin????

User avatar
Joan Manuel Serrat
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:10 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Joan Manuel Serrat » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:54 pm

cameltaur wrote:There are squash courts in the main fitness center. You may be able to take out the tin to play racquetball, but i don't see why you'd ever want to.

And for the person that asked about room dimensions, you get a floorplan in your housing offer email.


Do you know if there activities like football club or basketball teams or pelota/jai alai league? Are there organise activities for students that are not very good athletes like amateur sports or intramural? I ask because I was accepted at Columbia and at Cornell but I prefer Cornell because of money, but Ithaca is very lonely place and I want to make final decision knowing where I will be more comfortable. A sports league will make me more at home. Thanks for help!

User avatar
Antipodean
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:40 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Antipodean » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:23 pm

I'm 90% sure that the law school participates in IM (intramural) sports, but that seems like a question best posed to the 1Ls over in the official Columbia forums. Do you have access to those? If not, let me know and I'll post the question for you and report the results.

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby 06132010 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:13 pm

Antipodean wrote:I'm 90% sure that the law school participates in IM (intramural) sports, but that seems like a question best posed to the 1Ls over in the official Columbia forums. Do you have access to those? If not, let me know and I'll post the question for you and report the results.


We should probably start a TLS team called "TITCR."

User avatar
Antipodean
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:40 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Antipodean » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:15 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:
Antipodean wrote:I'm 90% sure that the law school participates in IM (intramural) sports, but that seems like a question best posed to the 1Ls over in the official Columbia forums. Do you have access to those? If not, let me know and I'll post the question for you and report the results.


We should probably start a TLS team called "TITCR."

TITCR.

Which sport do you have in mind? Or should it be some multi-sport hydra of a team?

User avatar
Skadden Stairs
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:47 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Skadden Stairs » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:28 pm

Antipodean wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:
Antipodean wrote:I'm 90% sure that the law school participates in IM (intramural) sports, but that seems like a question best posed to the 1Ls over in the official Columbia forums. Do you have access to those? If not, let me know and I'll post the question for you and report the results.


We should probably start a TLS team called "TITCR."

TITCR.

Which sport do you have in mind? Or should it be some multi-sport hydra of a team?

Tennis.

User avatar
SleekFire
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:13 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby SleekFire » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:12 am

At home we play tournament ping-pong. Does anybody else play? Are there tables somewhere by Columbia?

User avatar
thrillhouse
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:42 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby thrillhouse » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:26 pm

I'd love to get some regular sports games going with people. If you wanna take the time to teach me squash, I'll play that. I learn quickly.

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby imchuckbass58 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:33 pm

So, hate to change subjects to a more serious topic, but CLS evidently just released OCI schedules for this fall, an apparently schedules are down 22%:

--LinkRemoved--

I don't know about you guys, but while this news is bad, it's actually vaguely reassuring to me. Obviously the decline in offers could be much higher due to increased selectivity within the reduced schedules, but this doesn't come close to the doom and gloom predicted by some people. Combine that with the fact that we'll be a year removed, and it could be not as bad as some people say it will be (knock on wood).

User avatar
Lem37
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:50 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Lem37 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:33 pm

I would just like to speak for myself in saying that I don't do ANY sports - or, in fact, any sort of physical activity besides tottering around the Village in heels on a Saturday night. My hobby of choice is painting - anyone else here artistically inclined?

EDIT: Just to clarify, ping pong is not a sport.

User avatar
SleekFire
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:13 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby SleekFire » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:08 pm

Lem37 wrote:I would just like to speak for myself in saying that I don't do ANY sports - or, in fact, any sort of physical activity besides tottering around the Village in heels on a Saturday night. My hobby of choice is painting - anyone else here artistically inclined?

EDIT: Just to clarify, ping pong is not a sport.


Does this mean you play or does this fall under "physical activity" ;-)

User avatar
MeTalkPrettyOneDay
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:24 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:So, hate to change subjects to a more serious topic, but CLS evidently just released OCI schedules for this fall, an apparently schedules are down 22%:

--LinkRemoved--

I don't know about you guys, but while this news is bad, it's actually vaguely reassuring to me. Obviously the decline in offers could be much higher due to increased selectivity within the reduced schedules, but this doesn't come close to the doom and gloom predicted by some people. Combine that with the fact that we'll be a year removed, and it could be not as bad as some people say it will be (knock on wood).

Although that's not great news, I do agree that it could be much worse. Considering many CLS grads have had competing offers in recent years, a 22% reduction in OCIs isn't that terrible a blow. Of course, we still don't know how many offers these OCI will churn out... and that - the total number of offers - is the stat we really need to look at. Time will tell.

But there definitely is some good news for us: (1) we're going to CLS and (2) we're the Class of 2012, which gives us some extra time to weather the storm. :)

User avatar
Lem37
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:50 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Lem37 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:24 pm

SleekFire wrote:
Lem37 wrote:I would just like to speak for myself in saying that I don't do ANY sports - or, in fact, any sort of physical activity besides tottering around the Village in heels on a Saturday night. My hobby of choice is painting - anyone else here artistically inclined?

EDIT: Just to clarify, ping pong is not a sport.


Does this mean you play or does this fall under "physical activity" ;-)


Yeah, no, even ping pong is waaaay too much moving around for me. ;)

User avatar
MeTalkPrettyOneDay
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:26 pm

Lem37 wrote:
SleekFire wrote:
Lem37 wrote:I would just like to speak for myself in saying that I don't do ANY sports - or, in fact, any sort of physical activity besides tottering around the Village in heels on a Saturday night. My hobby of choice is painting - anyone else here artistically inclined?

EDIT: Just to clarify, ping pong is not a sport.


Does this mean you play or does this fall under "physical activity" ;-)


Yeah, no, even ping pong is waaaay too much moving around for me. ;)

But what about the Dartmouth variety, involving beer and paddles? Or the more widespread, paddle-less variety we all love? Surely those are both sports ;)

CLS Varsity Beirut. Who's down?

User avatar
Lem37
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:50 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Lem37 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:28 pm

MeTalkPrettyOneDay wrote:
Lem37 wrote:
SleekFire wrote:
Lem37 wrote:I would just like to speak for myself in saying that I don't do ANY sports - or, in fact, any sort of physical activity besides tottering around the Village in heels on a Saturday night. My hobby of choice is painting - anyone else here artistically inclined?

EDIT: Just to clarify, ping pong is not a sport.


Does this mean you play or does this fall under "physical activity" ;-)


Yeah, no, even ping pong is waaaay too much moving around for me. ;)

But what about the Dartmouth variety, involving beer and paddles? Or the more widespread, paddle-less variety we all love? Surely those are both sports ;)

CLS Varsity Beirut. Who's down?


Wait, okay, THAT I can get behind. Drinking is my other hobby, after all.

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby 06132010 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:18 pm

Antipodean wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:
Antipodean wrote:I'm 90% sure that the law school participates in IM (intramural) sports, but that seems like a question best posed to the 1Ls over in the official Columbia forums. Do you have access to those? If not, let me know and I'll post the question for you and report the results.


We should probably start a TLS team called "TITCR."

TITCR.

Which sport do you have in mind? Or should it be some multi-sport hydra of a team?


I can play most sports decently, except basketball because I'm too short, so I'm open to anything.

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby 06132010 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:20 pm

MeTalkPrettyOneDay wrote:
Lem37 wrote:
SleekFire wrote:
Lem37 wrote:I would just like to speak for myself in saying that I don't do ANY sports - or, in fact, any sort of physical activity besides tottering around the Village in heels on a Saturday night. My hobby of choice is painting - anyone else here artistically inclined?

EDIT: Just to clarify, ping pong is not a sport.


Does this mean you play or does this fall under "physical activity" ;-)


Yeah, no, even ping pong is waaaay too much moving around for me. ;)

But what about the Dartmouth variety, involving beer and paddles? Or the more widespread, paddle-less variety we all love? Surely those are both sports ;)

CLS Varsity Beirut. Who's down?


Meee *raises and waves hand in gunnesque manner*

User avatar
Antipodean
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:40 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Antipodean » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:22 pm

MeTalkPrettyOneDay wrote:But what about the Dartmouth variety, involving beer and paddles? Or the more widespread, paddle-less variety we all love? Surely those are both sports ;)

CLS Varsity Beirut. Who's down?

I'm not normally a fan, because people usually use some pretty crappy beer for Beirut. For some reason nobody wants to play when I suggest vodka pong. :|

booyakasha45 wrote:I can play most sports decently, except basketball because I'm too short, so I'm open to anything.

We should check out the list of available sports when we arrive. Who knows, maybe we'll find one Lem can get into?

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby 06132010 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:25 pm

Antipodean wrote:
MeTalkPrettyOneDay wrote:But what about the Dartmouth variety, involving beer and paddles? Or the more widespread, paddle-less variety we all love? Surely those are both sports ;)

CLS Varsity Beirut. Who's down?

I'm not normally a fan, because people usually use some pretty crappy beer for Beirut. For some reason nobody wants to play when I suggest vodka pong. :|

booyakasha45 wrote:I can play most sports decently, except basketball because I'm too short, so I'm open to anything.

We should check out the list of available sports when we arrive. Who knows, maybe we'll find one Lem can get into?


Lem can be in charge of uniform design.

I'm going to try to do some intramural research. I'll report back if I find anything useful.


Edit: I've played pong with hard liquor and am open to the idea, but I'm warning you that it NEVER ends well.

acegikm
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:21 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby acegikm » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:38 pm

Has anyone else gotten their housing assignment??? I just got mine. In the Bronx. 6 miles away. I was under the impression that it would be in buildings around the school like the ones we were shown during the admitted students events. WTF!!!

User avatar
NoodlesHighChief
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:34 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby NoodlesHighChief » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:40 pm

I just got my housing offer and couldn't be less happy. 3260 Henry Hudson Parkway in the Bronx. I got a 2 person apartment share for 970 a month. They bascially could not accomodate any request I made except move in period. but since they say "Offers are typically made based on the preferred move-in periods indicated on your housing application." maybe that is the only factor that took into consideration. Was I supposed to know that in advance? And does anybody have a good website too go apartment hunting on?




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest