Columbia Law School 2012!

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
thistimereborn

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby thistimereborn » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:27 pm

Well, my reasons are that all the connections and friends that I've built strong relationships with over the past four years in undergrad are here in New York. Furthermore, my goals as a lawyer are set on the entertainment business, which leaves me only New York or LA as places to go to law school without disconnecting myself from the biz.

I would also love to go to NYU, but I think I've got less of a chance of getting in there than I do at Columbia, unfortunately. I have two LSAT scores so I have a marginal score of being accepted by NYU, due to its strict averaging policy. I've got one score in the mid 160s and one score in the low 170s.

If only I didn't have that lower score...I'd almost be a lock for NYU. Sigh...

saywhat

Postby saywhat » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:36 pm

thistimereborn wrote: Furthermore, my goals as a lawyer are set on the entertainment business, which leaves me only New York or LA as places to go to law school without disconnecting myself from the biz..

Well, regardless of what happens, and I really hope its good news, this really isn't true. During the academic year you will be in law school and cut off from all civilization, let alone the biz. All you have to do is make a concerted effort to work in NY/LA during the summers and in the long-term and you'll be fine. Plus, no-one out there starts off as an entertainment lawyer unless they have a connection. It's something you go into when your well-established outside of the business.. but this is a discussion for another board.

LjakW

Postby LjakW » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:39 pm

thistimereborn wrote:Well, my reasons are that all the connections and friends that I've built strong relationships with over the past four years in undergrad are here in New York. Furthermore, my goals as a lawyer are set on the entertainment business, which leaves me only New York or LA as places to go to law school without disconnecting myself from the biz.

Ari Gold got his JD/MBA from Michigan and he's done all right.

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:53 pm

thistimereborn wrote:Well, my reasons are that all the connections and friends that I've built strong relationships with over the past four years in undergrad are here in New York. Furthermore, my goals as a lawyer are set on the entertainment business, which leaves me only New York or LA as places to go to law school without disconnecting myself from the biz.

I would also love to go to NYU, but I think I've got less of a chance of getting in there than I do at Columbia, unfortunately. I have two LSAT scores so I have a marginal score of being accepted by NYU, due to its strict averaging policy. I've got one score in the mid 160s and one score in the low 170s.

i've got a sneaking suspicion, and i may be dead wrong, that nyu's "strict averaging policy" will break down when an applicant has a relatively large jump, and when that applicant's highest score puts them above nyu's median/around their 75th - you seriously think they want to pass on a bunch of people they're competing with columbia to snag? whatever the policy is, your highest score helps their numbers, because it's what they get to report

whyamidoingthis

Postby whyamidoingthis » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:55 pm

doyleoil wrote:

i've got a sneaking suspicion, and i may be dead wrong, that nyu's "strict averaging policy" will break down when an applicant has a relatively large jump, and when that applicant's highest score puts them above nyu's median/around their 75th - you seriously think they want to pass on a bunch of people they're competing with columbia to snag? whatever the policy is, your highest score helps their numbers, because it's what they get to report

I've been wondering about that because my scores go from mid-160's to mid-170's (9 point jump)...would they really shoot down a mid-170's score because it averages out to a low 170's? that seems annoying.

thistimereborn

Postby thistimereborn » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:56 pm

True that. NYU's policy seems illogical and counterproductive in situations like ours.

I totally just simultaneously started a new thread about this issue, without knowing that you guys were talking about it too, haha.

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:58 pm

whyamidoingthis wrote:
doyleoil wrote:

I've been wondering about that because my scores go from mid-160's to mid-170's (9 point jump)...would they really shoot down a mid-170's score because it averages out to a low 170's? that seems annoying.

i highly doubt it

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:59 pm

even for nyu's strict policy, they know that a score band only covers 6 points - a jump of over 6 points puts you in a different score band and changes the game, imo

thistimereborn

Postby thistimereborn » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:05 pm

That's the hope. I think it's a reasonable inference that anyone who jumps up 7 points from the first score to the second score did not do so out of luck, and that the lower score is clearly unrepresentative of his/her ability.

I'm not saying that the lower score should be thrown out, but I think that it would be more accurate and fair to consider the average of that person's average and his/her higher score.

Like, if someone has a 165 and a 172, the average would be 169. I think it would be fairer to think of them as somewhere between 169 and 172.

Dead Ringer

Postby Dead Ringer » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:06 pm

Well I won't be joining this board until March if at all. Yay deferral. I wish I had of gone over my app more meticulously and just done RD. Or I wish I was born in an earlier year. Because I am the first ED 173, 3.75 to get rejected in a while. Yay!

Seriously, top ten bad day for me over here. Congrats to all those who made it so far in this crazy competitive cycle.

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:46 pm

Wait, isn't Columbia harder to get into overall than NYU? (I mean, they're both "hard," but as a matter of degrees...)

LjakW

Postby LjakW » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:47 pm

Dead Ringer wrote:Seriously, top ten bad day for me over here.

Maybe it's fate clearing the way for a HLS acceptance, if that will make you feel better.

Sobriquet

Postby Sobriquet » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:58 pm

iagolives wrote:Wait, isn't Columbia harder to get into overall than NYU? (I mean, they're both "hard," but as a matter of degrees...)

Overall, Columbia has a lower acceptance rate, but for people with multiple LSAT socres, NYU is less forgiving because their policy is to average the scores. Most schools either take the higher score, take the higher score with an explanation/addendum, or take the higher score given X difference between the scores. Hence, people with say for example a 166 and a 176 will have a "better" shot with Columbia. Although like the other poster said, I tend to question if NYU's policy is actually holding up.

thistimereborn

Postby thistimereborn » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:01 am

iagolives wrote:

Wait, isn't Columbia harder to get into overall than NYU? (I mean, they're both "hard," but as a matter of degrees...)

Yeah Columbia is harder to get into in general, but not for me since NYU would average my scores, bringing me out of the strongly competitive range. My only hope is for them to consider my higher score more rather than my average score. I don't know if this will happen or not though, since their official policy is to strictly average. And I didn't write an addendum. Then again, Hourumd says that someone with a 168/3.9 has a pretty good shot at being accepted by NYU...At the same time, though, the applicant pool seems stronger this year, at least from the looks of Columbia's ED pool.

novaman3

Postby novaman3 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:01 pm

I just got a letter in the mail deferring me. It seems strange that they said they won't give me a decision until the end of March. Are they really going to wait that long or are they just saying that to say that March would be the latest date that they will get back to you?

huckabees

Postby huckabees » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:13 pm

Not sure about the answer to your question. Many people seem to think that we don't get evaluated again until March.

With your numbers though, I am extremely surprised that you didn't get accepted right off the bat.

ZackG

Postby ZackG » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:21 pm

I'm also ED, and I just received a grade request from them. My GPA is a few hundredths below their 25, so perhaps they want to see if my updated grades put me over that mark. Unfortunately, they probably won't.

bocadellupo

Postby bocadellupo » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:28 pm

can anyone take a guess at the methodology they're using for these grade requests? it seems that they're asking them of people with lower numbers than many of those already deferred/rejected, at least according to what we're seeing on TLS and LSN. do you think we're sitting on the reject vs. defer fence? if that is the case, why would they go through so much trouble?

emilybeth

Postby emilybeth » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:57 pm

rejection came in the mail today ... so they're making their way out to the west coast :(

cheshirecat

Postby cheshirecat » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:01 pm

Sorry about your bad news. Were you ED?

emilybeth

Postby emilybeth » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:04 pm

yep. ED, 169/3.86

bocadellupo

Postby bocadellupo » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:08 pm

emilybeth wrote:yep. ED, 169/3.86

those are really good numbers. that's terrifying. well, i'm sure you have/will get into many, many other great schools, so there's nothing to worry about.

emilybeth

Postby emilybeth » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:16 pm

thanks, here's hoping. columbia was my dream school ... i'm really glad that i knew this rejection was coming because of these boards, though ... makes it a lot easier. hooray TLS.

m_baum

Postby m_baum » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:33 pm

I'm 3.9/169 and also got a grade request. Sort of strange, because even with a 4.0 this term my gpa won't really change much

huckabees

Postby huckabees » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:58 pm

Emilybeth, that's nuts. Those are awesome numbers.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”