Columbia Law School 2012!

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Unemployed » Wed May 27, 2009 3:15 pm

jmat wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:I'd be down for a Yankees game ;) .


And here I thought you seemed likable. In all seriousness though I'd be up for games at either, ball games are almost always good fun.


I don't like the Yankees but the new stadium is just... amazing.

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby 06132010 » Wed May 27, 2009 3:16 pm

jmat wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:I'd be down for a Yankees game ;) .


And here I thought you seemed likable. In all seriousness though I'd be up for games at either, ball games are almost always good fun.


Yeah, me too; I love ball games. I was just teasing you for liking the inferior New York team.

User avatar
jmat
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:30 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby jmat » Wed May 27, 2009 3:22 pm

Unemployed wrote:
jmat wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:I'd be down for a Yankees game ;) .


And here I thought you seemed likable. In all seriousness though I'd be up for games at either, ball games are almost always good fun.


I don't like the Yankees but the new stadium is just... amazing.


It's very nice, though (attempt to be as objective as possible) I think Citi is even nicer. The new Yankees ballpark just looks way too much like the old stadium. Also it's a bandbox, way too easy to hit home runs in. Meanwhile in Citi you get to watch the hilarious and rare event of a Carlos Delgado triple.

User avatar
Antipodean
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:40 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Antipodean » Wed May 27, 2009 3:37 pm

I hope someone from this thread runs for Student Senate. That way we'll be able to appropriate Columbia funding for the various crazy (and not-so-crazy) events people are proposing here.

User avatar
thrillhouse
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:42 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby thrillhouse » Wed May 27, 2009 10:02 pm

jmat wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
jmat wrote:
Antipodean wrote:The last time I went to an "anything but clothes" party, outfits began falling to pieces once the liquor really got flowing. Which isn't necessarily always a bad thing, though it was pretty awful in that case. :?


Yeah, an anything but clothes party at an institution in which we learn how to define words in any manner that fits our interest can certainly take life in interesting (and possibly disturbing directions), that said we'll all need info to hold over each other once we become big important muckity mucks so why the heck not?


This is the kind of thinking that gave us 8 years of GWB!


Yes, but it also gave us every Kennedy we've ever had and WJC, I think it's just political tradition. BTW aside from just a meet up if any NYC folk ever feel like going out to CitiField to catch a Mets game I am pretty much always game.


I'd like to see both stadiums, so I'll try to put together two games later in the summer if people would like.

User avatar
Skadden Stairs
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:47 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Skadden Stairs » Wed May 27, 2009 10:54 pm

--LinkRemoved--

My contribution for the day. I'm really thinking about flying up to see Josh Ritter. LUUUUURVE Josh Ritter.

User avatar
frank_the_tank
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby frank_the_tank » Thu May 28, 2009 1:11 am

got my travel reimbursement check today..should be coming in the mail soon for you guys!

User avatar
thrillhouse
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:42 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby thrillhouse » Thu May 28, 2009 8:56 am

lex talionis wrote:http://www.summerstage.org/

My contribution for the day. I'm really thinking about flying up to see Josh Ritter. LUUUUURVE Josh Ritter.


We should definitely see some rock shows!

If you are up for seeing a shitty rock show, I know my band will be playing the city. We've been part of the park series for the last two summers. I think we are doing it again.

User avatar
whyamidoingthis
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:31 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby whyamidoingthis » Thu May 28, 2009 12:26 pm

frank_the_tank wrote:got my travel reimbursement check today..should be coming in the mail soon for you guys!


My mother called to say she thinks mine is at their place. Money, sweet!

User avatar
jmat
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:30 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby jmat » Thu May 28, 2009 12:41 pm

lex talionis wrote:http://www.summerstage.org/

My contribution for the day. I'm really thinking about flying up to see Josh Ritter. LUUUUURVE Josh Ritter.


I am definitely going to TV On the Radio and I am not sure what else, Central Park concerts are the best. Heck, you don't even need to pay for tickets if you don't want to, there are plenty of places you can lay out a blanket and still hear the concert.

User avatar
NoodlesHighChief
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:34 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby NoodlesHighChief » Thu May 28, 2009 2:56 pm

Does anybody play squash? Or does anybody at least have any knowledge of the court situation? How far are they from the law school?

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby imchuckbass58 » Thu May 28, 2009 3:38 pm

NoodlesHighChief wrote:Does anybody play squash? Or does anybody at least have any knowledge of the court situation? How far are they from the law school?


Dude, I love squash - have been playing since I was a kid.

No idea about the court situation though. Columbia is the only Ivy League school without a varisty team so that could be a negative.....

On the other hand if you're looking for an occassional game, I belong to a place with courts in midtown right near grand central.

User avatar
NoodlesHighChief
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:34 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby NoodlesHighChief » Thu May 28, 2009 4:12 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:
NoodlesHighChief wrote:Does anybody play squash? Or does anybody at least have any knowledge of the court situation? How far are they from the law school?


Dude, I love squash - have been playing since I was a kid.

No idea about the court situation though. Columbia is the only Ivy League school without a varisty team so that could be a negative.....

On the other hand if you're looking for an occassional game, I belong to a place with courts in midtown right near grand central.



I am glad that somebody likes the game too, although you would probably own me. I picked it up in undergrad and was never really serious about it. I have not played in over a year now but I really want to get back into it. If the situation at Columbia is not too good I would definitely be willing to play you in midtown. Hopefully we can get in a game or two on campus.

jpaul09
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:26 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby jpaul09 » Sat May 30, 2009 10:11 am

Hey guys, I stumbled upon some Columbia J-school site while looking to see whether Verizon gave discounts on monthly plans for Columbia students. (Yes, I'm still on my cell phone quest from a couple of pages ago.) At any rate, it lists a bunch of providers that purportedly give discounts to Columbia students (20% for AT&T?!) plus some place at Columbia where you can get discounted movie tickets, etc. -- thought it might be helpful for a few other people:
--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
Antipodean
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:40 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Antipodean » Sat May 30, 2009 5:34 pm

Good catch. I notice that you need to have an AT&T number already to check availability - does anyone with AT&T want to input their number and school email to see if they can get a discount?

User avatar
Skadden Stairs
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:47 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Skadden Stairs » Sat May 30, 2009 5:57 pm

Dilemma: stick with verizon (well, alltel until next month) and their shitty phones and have my parents keep paying my bill, or be a grown up and switch to AT&T and pay for it myself...

maybe I'll hold out until the pre is available on verizon in 6 months...

User avatar
whyamidoingthis
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:31 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby whyamidoingthis » Sat May 30, 2009 8:07 pm

Antipodean wrote:Good catch. I notice that you need to have an AT&T number already to check availability - does anyone with AT&T want to input their number and school email to see if they can get a discount?


I tried it and it definitely worked. Haven't looked at what I get discounts on yet though!

User avatar
Antipodean
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:40 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Antipodean » Sat May 30, 2009 10:08 pm

whyamidoingthis wrote:I tried it and it definitely worked. Haven't looked at what I get discounts on yet though!

Awesome!

When you're checking discounts, can you see if any iPhone plans are included (the unlimited data plan, for instance)? I'm considering picking one up when they release the latest version.

jpaul09
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:26 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby jpaul09 » Sat May 30, 2009 11:17 pm

Also, I e-mailed Columbia's Verizon sales rep, so I'll report back when I hear re: which Blackberries and plans are included.

Personally, I was psyched to find out that we can get movie vouchers for $6.50-$8.50 (apparently the ticket office is in Lerner Hall/Commons...the student center). I'm guessing movies in Manhattan run upwards of 10.50? That's how much tickets were in D.C.

User avatar
whyamidoingthis
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:31 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby whyamidoingthis » Sat May 30, 2009 11:31 pm

Antipodean wrote:
whyamidoingthis wrote:I tried it and it definitely worked. Haven't looked at what I get discounts on yet though!

Awesome!

When you're checking discounts, can you see if any iPhone plans are included (the unlimited data plan, for instance)? I'm considering picking one up when they release the latest version.


It looks like the discount is just a flat 20% off your monthly bill, so presumably the data plan is also discounted. If you're still on your parents' family plan (as I am....lazy), you can make the discount apply to the whole plan. My mother was very happy because we just lost the discount on our plan from her previous employer.

I'm going to eventually drop in at my local att store and chat with them. I'll let you know!

User avatar
Antipodean
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:40 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Antipodean » Sun May 31, 2009 12:35 am

whyamidoingthis wrote:It looks like the discount is just a flat 20% off your monthly bill, so presumably the data plan is also discounted. If you're still on your parents' family plan (as I am....lazy), you can make the discount apply to the whole plan. My mother was very happy because we just lost the discount on our plan from her previous employer.

I'm going to eventually drop in at my local att store and chat with them. I'll let you know!

Great stuff. Thanks for checking out the details. :)

jpaul09 wrote:Also, I e-mailed Columbia's Verizon sales rep, so I'll report back when I hear re: which Blackberries and plans are included.

Personally, I was psyched to find out that we can get movie vouchers for $6.50-$8.50 (apparently the ticket office is in Lerner Hall/Commons...the student center). I'm guessing movies in Manhattan run upwards of 10.50? That's how much tickets were in D.C.

Hopefully we'll have sufficient time to catch a movie or to. Given how much tuition runs, it'd be a shame not to pick up all the Columbia freebies we can.

User avatar
danielfgator
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:02 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby danielfgator » Sun May 31, 2009 2:25 am

lex talionis wrote:Dilemma: stick with verizon (well, alltel until next month) and their shitty phones and have my parents keep paying my bill, or be a grown up and switch to AT&T and pay for it myself...

maybe I'll hold out until the pre is available on verizon in 6 months...



Verizon has much better reception in the City. My SO is an AT&T Store Manager here in the City and she still has a hard time accepting it, but it's true. They keep telling the employees their service will improve but Verizon just kicks their asses. You can get reception even at some subway stations....

User avatar
MeTalkPrettyOneDay
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Sun May 31, 2009 12:49 pm

danielfgator wrote:Verizon has much better reception in the City. My SO is an AT&T Store Manager here in the City and she still has a hard time accepting it, but it's true. They keep telling the employees their service will improve but Verizon just kicks their asses. You can get reception even at some subway stations....

I can't comment on AT&T in the City, but Verizon is pretty damn good in the City. I get service in some (many, actually) subways stations, as you mention. Even more amazingly, sometimes I have good enough reception to text while riding the subway.

That being said, if you have something kickass like an iPhone, it's probably worth sticking with AT&T.

User avatar
jessicaw
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:14 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby jessicaw » Sun May 31, 2009 7:38 pm

I have a neighborhood question for any of you who are already familiar with the Columbia neighborhood:

I found a great apartment on West 117th st, about 2 blocks from morningside park. It looks like a quick jaunt through the park will land me close to the law school in morningside heights. I'm concerned about safety though, both in the park and in West Harlem. Does anybody have any knowledge of this area, and whether it would be safe for a single female? (I'd have apartment mates, but i'm still concerned about walking alone)

THANKS!

User avatar
jmat
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:30 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby jmat » Sun May 31, 2009 8:05 pm

jessicaw wrote:I have a neighborhood question for any of you who are already familiar with the Columbia neighborhood:

I found a great apartment on West 117th st, about 2 blocks from morningside park. It looks like a quick jaunt through the park will land me close to the law school in morningside heights. I'm concerned about safety though, both in the park and in West Harlem. Does anybody have any knowledge of this area, and whether it would be safe for a single female? (I'd have apartment mates, but i'm still concerned about walking alone)

THANKS!


Te neighborhood is fine, it's actually a pretty nice area to have an apartment. However, I would be hesitant to regularly walk through the park. Outside of the park is fine, but inside the park there are a lot of muggings at night. It's the only place in the neighborhood that's particularly dangerous.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests