Columbia Law School 2012!

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
MeTalkPrettyOneDay
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Sat May 23, 2009 12:54 am

SleekFire wrote:Hey guys!

My mother was always telling me about that book that tells you about all the free grant money nobody is getting...

Well I did some research and found this site (http://www.grantapprovalnetwork.com/)

Anyway looks like there is an initial 3.00 charge and then 7 days later a 59.9 monthly...

Not sure about it...

You guys have any experience with this or similar companies? Heard any stories?


(I made a separate thread (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=72895) but that was for the general public, you guys are different, more personal... so I figured I would like some input from "the family" ;-) )


Thanks guys !

....This looks like a massive scam.

Go here:
http://www.grants.gov/
or here:
https://www.cfda.gov/index?cck=1&au=&ck=

If you want more info, buy a book. But DON'T sign up for some service that will charge you $60 a month, and very well could give you shit in return.

Besides... free money? For serious? If the government really was giving out tons of free money to everyone and their uncle, don't you think CLS would tell us to apply for grants X, Y, & Z? As it is, CLS does a good job directing us to Stafford Loans, etc. If there was free gov't law school grant money up for grabs, I think CLS would tell us. As I said, this looks like one epic scam.

User avatar
DavidMorales
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:29 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby DavidMorales » Sat May 23, 2009 12:17 pm

Elizabeth Grainger is my hero. A week ago my bro got a letter they had approved his housing application. Housing immediately hooked him up with an apartment with another student. Problem: my brother and I had asked to live together. Brother expressed disappointment to UAH and they responded that my application had not been approved yet so they couldn't assign me an apartment and that it wouldn't be a good idea to turn down offer. I called Ms. Grainger at the law school and told her the situation. She was responsive and said she'd take care of it. Although the law school doesn't usually approve housing apps till the end of the month or early june, they were going to speed mine up. This was 8pm CST, or around 9pm EST. (I'm amazed by their work ethic). By afternoon the next day my housing app was approved and I was assigned an apartment with my brother.

Useful information for law students: my cost for unfurnished closet was 861 per month plus 30 for internet. Payment, due a week after assignment was 1722, which is first month's + deposit. This is payable by credit card (which i'm starting to think is the way Columbia wants things to be paid).

I know that most of you won't get your assignments till June but i thought this might be helpful and it's a good story about how great the people are at the law school.

jpaul09
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:26 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby jpaul09 » Sat May 23, 2009 12:35 pm

Does the 861 include all utilities? And did you ask for a lower-priced apt, or did you just get one? Also, are you happy with your location relative to the law school? (You don't have to give the street if you don't want to; I'm just trying to judge whether I'm going to be offered a cheaper apt up in the 120s since I was asking for something below 950/month.)
Thanks! And that's a great story about how responsive the law school was to your situation.

User avatar
Skadden Stairs
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:47 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Skadden Stairs » Sat May 23, 2009 5:02 pm

Anyone else get a faux-leather notebook thingy and a hand-written card (obvi written by an 11 year-old boy)?

User avatar
frank_the_tank
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby frank_the_tank » Sat May 23, 2009 5:45 pm

lex talionis wrote:Anyone else get a faux-leather notebook thingy and a hand-written card (obvi written by an 11 year-old boy)?



Yeah I just got it today. It is nice, but I'd much rather have my travel subsidy check.

User avatar
DavidMorales
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:29 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby DavidMorales » Sat May 23, 2009 7:02 pm

jpaul09 wrote:Does the 861 include all utilities? And did you ask for a lower-priced apt, or did you just get one? Also, are you happy with your location relative to the law school? (You don't have to give the street if you don't want to; I'm just trying to judge whether I'm going to be offered a cheaper apt up in the 120s since I was asking for something below 950/month.)
Thanks! And that's a great story about how responsive the law school was to your situation.


I didn't specify but I think I got one of the cheaper ones.It is right between Amsterdam and Morningside drive on 119th street; I thinks the location is quite excellent for the law school. On the other hand my room is very very small. Yes, it includes utilities.

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby 06132010 » Sat May 23, 2009 7:54 pm

lex talionis wrote:Anyone else get a faux-leather notebook thingy and a hand-written card (obvi written by an 11 year-old boy)?


Not yet, but I'm excited for my impending leather-bound book.

User avatar
thrillhouse
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:42 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby thrillhouse » Sun May 24, 2009 8:52 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:
lex talionis wrote:Anyone else get a faux-leather notebook thingy and a hand-written card (obvi written by an 11 year-old boy)?


Not yet, but I'm excited for my impending leather-bound book.


I got it, too. I guess I was less offput by it than lex. I was just glad they still remember that I'm coming.

User avatar
whyamidoingthis
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:31 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby whyamidoingthis » Mon May 25, 2009 1:36 pm

thrillhouse wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:
lex talionis wrote:Anyone else get a faux-leather notebook thingy and a hand-written card (obvi written by an 11 year-old boy)?


Not yet, but I'm excited for my impending leather-bound book.


I got it, too. I guess I was less offput by it than lex. I was just glad they still remember that I'm coming.


Haven't received the notebook but +1 on the remembering that I'm coming.

User avatar
thrillhouse
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:42 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby thrillhouse » Tue May 26, 2009 10:43 am

Does anyone know if we have a locker or any sort of place to store our massive books?

jpaul09
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:26 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby jpaul09 » Tue May 26, 2009 10:48 am

There are lockers, and I'm pretty sure they said at ASW that everyone gets one. It's like high school all over again. :)

User avatar
Antipodean
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:40 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Antipodean » Tue May 26, 2009 11:16 am

I also recall hearing at the ASW that everyone gets a locker. They're on the ground floor of the Jerome Greene building (on 116th), so they're handy to both the library and the cafeteria/study area.

This "high school all over again" theme keeps popping up in conversations about law school. Is that a good thing, or a bad thing?

User avatar
SleekFire
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:13 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby SleekFire » Tue May 26, 2009 11:35 am

Antipodean wrote:I also recall hearing at the ASW that everyone gets a locker. They're on the ground floor of the Jerome Greene building (on 116th), so they're handy to both the library and the cafeteria/study area.

This "high school all over again" theme keeps popping up in conversations about law school. Is that a good thing, or a bad thing?


I guess that will depend on your high school experience ;-)

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Unemployed » Tue May 26, 2009 11:36 am

Antipodean wrote:I also recall hearing at the ASW that everyone gets a locker. They're on the ground floor of the Jerome Greene building (on 116th), so they're handy to both the library and the cafeteria/study area.

This "high school all over again" theme keeps popping up in conversations about law school. Is that a good thing, or a bad thing?


I was a dumb jock in high school and a drunkard in college. I am looking forward to being a studious nerd in high school part II, surrounded by other studious nerds. :mrgreen:

Milhouse wrote:I'm not a nerd... Nerds are smart!

jpaul09
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:26 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby jpaul09 » Tue May 26, 2009 11:47 am

Nothing negative meant by my high school comment -- it's just that I've gotten quite used to not lugging a backpack around, not having to memorize a lock combination, etc.

User avatar
SleekFire
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:13 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby SleekFire » Tue May 26, 2009 11:51 am

Sorry to interrupt the nostalgia but, does anyone know when those dean certificates are due?

jpaul09
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:26 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby jpaul09 » Tue May 26, 2009 11:56 am

Dean's Cert is due by June 15.

User avatar
SleekFire
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:13 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby SleekFire » Tue May 26, 2009 11:58 am

Thanks!

Anyone sent 'em in yet?

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby imchuckbass58 » Tue May 26, 2009 11:59 am

I sent mine to my dean. One can only hope she filled it out and sent it to the school.

User avatar
jmat
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:30 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby jmat » Tue May 26, 2009 12:01 pm

jpaul09 wrote:There are lockers, and I'm pretty sure they said at ASW that everyone gets one. It's like high school all over again. :)


I've been thinking of, if the whole being smart thing doesn't work out, being the law school bully and stuffing people in to lockers. Anyone else up for forming a gang of law school hoodlums?

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Unemployed » Tue May 26, 2009 12:08 pm

jmat wrote:
jpaul09 wrote:There are lockers, and I'm pretty sure they said at ASW that everyone gets one. It's like high school all over again. :)


I've been thinking of, if the whole being smart thing doesn't work out, being the law school bully and stuffing people in to lockers. Anyone else up for forming a gang of law school hoodlums?


These lockers may be too small to accommodate a typical law student. Even if you find someone tiny enough (most likely a female) to fit in the Columbia lockers, bullies picking on girls is SO middle school.

User avatar
Antipodean
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:40 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Antipodean » Tue May 26, 2009 12:14 pm

Unemployed wrote:
jmat wrote:I've been thinking of, if the whole being smart thing doesn't work out, being the law school bully and stuffing people in to lockers. Anyone else up for forming a gang of law school hoodlums?


These lockers may be too small to accommodate a typical law student. Even if you find someone tiny enough (most likely a female) to fit in the Columbia lockers, bullies picking on girls is SO middle school.

They bite and kick and scratch. And sometimes, we fall in love. :|

User avatar
jmat
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:30 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby jmat » Tue May 26, 2009 12:16 pm

Antipodean wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
jmat wrote:I've been thinking of, if the whole being smart thing doesn't work out, being the law school bully and stuffing people in to lockers. Anyone else up for forming a gang of law school hoodlums?


These lockers may be too small to accommodate a typical law student. Even if you find someone tiny enough (most likely a female) to fit in the Columbia lockers, bullies picking on girls is SO middle school.

They bite and kick and scratch. And sometimes, we fall in love. :|


Oh man, it sounds like Daniel Stern is going to be narrating my law school experience. Now I am totally stoked.

User avatar
whyamidoingthis
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:31 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby whyamidoingthis » Tue May 26, 2009 1:00 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:I sent mine to my dean. One can only hope she filled it out and sent it to the school.


I've got a note on mine that I faxed it to my UG back in February. I was JUST thinking that I should call and check on that. Hmmm....

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Unemployed » Tue May 26, 2009 3:48 pm

--LinkRemoved--

So (roughly) 5 members of the Class of 2009 could not land a job?

Comforting and disconcerting at the same time.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest