Columbia Law School 2012! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)

Silver

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Post by 06132010 » Thu May 21, 2009 3:51 pm

That reminds me of scene in the Office where Andy in interviewing Dwight for Cornell:

Andy: Applicant is attempting to blackmail interviewer, showing low moral character.
Dwight: Interviewer is threatening applicant with an arbitrary review process.
Andy: Applicant is wasting everyone's time with stupid and inane accusations.
Dwight: Interviewer has suspect motives.
Andy: Applicant has a head shaped like a trapezoid.

jmat

New

Post by jmat » Thu May 21, 2009 3:56 pm

Unemployed wrote:Aren't you better off impressing the professors outside the classrooms (i.e. office hours)? That way, you minimize the possibility of public humiliation and Booya won't make fun of your weirdly shaped head on gchat.
I don't know that it matters one way or another, I think I am just going to go with if I have something interesting to say, I'll say it. As for fear of my weirdly shaped head being insulted, I plan on quickly becoming friends with Booya and finding other people to mock in order to avoid this fate. Either way I wouldn't be so worried, I think that if you doing any semblance of work you'll make it through.

P.S. The funny thing about that is that Rainn Wilson really does have a head shaped like a trapezoid.

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Thu May 21, 2009 3:59 pm

jmat wrote:
Unemployed wrote:Aren't you better off impressing the professors outside the classrooms (i.e. office hours)? That way, you minimize the possibility of public humiliation and Booya won't make fun of your weirdly shaped head on gchat.
I don't know that it matters one way or another, I think I am just going to go with if I have something interesting to say, I'll say it. As for fear of my weirdly shaped head being insulted, I plan on quickly becoming friends with Booya and finding other people to mock in order to avoid this fate. Either way I wouldn't be so worried, I think that if you doing any semblance of work you'll make it through.

P.S. The funny thing about that is that Rainn Wilson really does have a head shaped like a trapezoid.
It wasn't a commentary on the shape of your head :oops: I was just talking about the hypothetical gunner.

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Thu May 21, 2009 4:00 pm

We will be a gchat force to be reckoned with.

I'm not really that mean, though. I wouldn't just make fun of someone's trapezoid head for no good reason.

frank_the_tank

Bronze

Post by frank_the_tank » Thu May 21, 2009 4:01 pm

Booyakasha were you one of these??

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jmat

New

Post by jmat » Thu May 21, 2009 4:04 pm

I know it wasn't a comment on my head... y'all'll get to see my head soon enough and then the fun can begin (in all seriousness I think I have a pretty standard head, so don't get your hopes up for some sort of hilariously freakish head). As for making for of heads in general, I am with you, mockery only happens to the deserving, but I suspect that in law school there will be plenty of fodder.

Besides gchat is not just for mockery, it's also for bailing out friends who didn't do the reading when they get called on and links to online time wasters.

Antipodean

Bronze

Post by Antipodean » Thu May 21, 2009 4:07 pm

jmat wrote:Besides gchat is not just for mockery, it's also for bailing out friends who didn't do the reading when they get called on and links to online time wasters.
So long as the professor hasn't banned laptops in the classroom. That's the nightmare from which I keep waking up in a cold sweat.

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Thu May 21, 2009 4:08 pm

frank_the_tank wrote:Booyakasha were you one of these??

haha. I've actually been compared to Regina before...

I wear less pink than them. A lot less pink.

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Thu May 21, 2009 4:09 pm

jmat wrote:
Besides gchat is not just for mockery, it's also for bailing out friends who didn't do the reading when they get called on and links to online time wasters.
Unless your so-called "friend" is a gunner and he gives you the wrong answer!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Thu May 21, 2009 4:12 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:
jmat wrote:
WOW. Please tell me that people don't actually pull this kind of crap! :shock:

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Thu May 21, 2009 4:14 pm

Unemployed wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:
jmat wrote:
I doubt it. lol. Real gunners don't use gchat in class.

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Thu May 21, 2009 4:14 pm

So... I just got this in reply to questions on AC:
"UAH does not provide... air conditioners, dishwashers, or area rugs for any units. Students are responsible for providing rugs that cover 80% of the floor area to comply with the terms of the lease."

Does that mean Lenfest is the only law-specific housing with AC? Shit.

jmat

New

Post by jmat » Thu May 21, 2009 4:15 pm

Unemployed wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:
jmat wrote:
Seriously, who would do that? There's no advantage to it because it's not going to destroy that person, but then the gunner will have no friends at all, which seems a much bigger detriment. I am not sure people who are this cartoonishly evil exist, and if they do I am actually pretty excited to meet them.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NoodlesHighChief

New

Post by NoodlesHighChief » Thu May 21, 2009 4:31 pm

So has anybody got a housing assignment yet? What's the latest we can hear from UH?

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Thu May 21, 2009 4:43 pm

lex talionis wrote:So... I just got this in reply to questions on AC:
"UAH does not provide... air conditioners, dishwashers, or area rugs for any units. Students are responsible for providing rugs that cover 80% of the floor area to comply with the terms of the lease."

That sucks. It makes me feel slightly less guilty about requesting Lenfest, though.

Antipodean

Bronze

Post by Antipodean » Thu May 21, 2009 4:59 pm

NoodlesHighChief wrote:So has anybody got a housing assignment yet? What's the latest we can hear from UH?
I haven't gotten a housing assignment yet, but I did get a confused email today from Elizabeth Grainger saying that UAH thought I wanted to be in Lenfast. Given that the comments section of my housing application basically boiled down to "any reasonably priced Apartment Share", I'm not sure where UAH got that idea from.

Lenfast is nice, but it busts the Cost of Living budget as prepared by Columbia. I'm trying to avoid a Ramen-only diet. :|

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Thu May 21, 2009 5:02 pm

lex talionis wrote:So... I just got this in reply to questions on AC:

Eh, most NYC apt's don't have central or pre-installed AC. Time to invest in a window unit and save up some money for those ConEd bills.

Also, for those that are wondering, the "rugs covering 80% of the floor" is another NYC lease standard that really can be skated over with just a large central rug. There's some great ones for around $80-$100 at Home Depot/Lowe's.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

deneuve39

Bronze

Post by deneuve39 » Thu May 21, 2009 5:41 pm

Has anyone by chance gotten a check for the travel subsidy in the mail yet? I e-mailed Jill like 6 weeks ago to make sure the office got my receipts and she replied that she'd gotten them but the office was really busy processing all the requests...

marshponds

New

Post by marshponds » Thu May 21, 2009 5:57 pm

deneuve39 wrote:Has anyone by chance gotten a check for the travel subsidy in the mail yet? I e-mailed Jill like 6 weeks ago to make sure the office got my receipts and she replied that she'd gotten them but the office was really busy processing all the requests...
I got mine about two weeks ago.

DrmgSprs

New

Post by DrmgSprs » Thu May 21, 2009 6:12 pm

I haven't gotten mine yet either, though Jill had to ask for a different address to mail it to a couple of weeks ago.

frank_the_tank

Bronze

Post by frank_the_tank » Thu May 21, 2009 6:38 pm

deneuve39 wrote:Has anyone by chance gotten a check for the travel subsidy in the mail yet? I e-mailed Jill like 6 weeks ago to make sure the office got my receipts and she replied that she'd gotten them but the office was really busy processing all the requests...
nope not yet.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

deneuve39

Bronze

Post by deneuve39 » Thu May 21, 2009 8:04 pm

Hmm ok well I guess I shouldn't be worried yet then...

marshponds

New

Post by marshponds » Thu May 21, 2009 9:43 pm

deneuve39 wrote:Hmm ok well I guess I shouldn't be worried yet then...
Yeah, I applied for it pretty early and went to the first ASW, during the first week of March. I'm sure yours will come soon.

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Thu May 21, 2009 11:34 pm

deneuve39 wrote:Hmm ok well I guess I shouldn't be worried yet then...
I've been waiting for mine too........

Antipodean

Bronze

Post by Antipodean » Fri May 22, 2009 1:29 pm

jfab202 wrote:
indecisive09 wrote:and does anybody know of a good storage- shipping option for those of moving to NYC not by ground transport?

i would like to store my stuff for June and July and have it shipped from Los Angeles directly to my apt at CLS in August .. any companies that do that?
i think collegeboxes.com might do this.
I was looking into collegeboxes myself, but it seems to be geared pretty exclusively to undergrads. Their standard service at Columbia deliver Sep 5/6, and apparently they don't pick up off-campus (which I'm guessing all our housing would count as). They also don't offer their "ship-to-school" service for Columbia, which might put a crimp on using them for move-in.

Personally, I'm looking at ShipSmart. They quoted me $792 to move 500lbs + a full-size mattress from Chicago to New York (I'm asking for a furnished apartment). The thing is, I only need it stored for 2 1/2 weeks, which is about how long it takes them to ship, so the storage angle isn't an issue for me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”