Columbia Law School 2012!

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
jfab202
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:26 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby jfab202 » Thu May 21, 2009 1:09 pm

indecisive09 wrote:and does anybody know of a good storage- shipping option for those of moving to NYC not by ground transport?

i would like to store my stuff for June and July and have it shipped from Los Angeles directly to my apt at CLS in August .. any companies that do that?


i think collegeboxes.com might do this.

User avatar
jmat
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:30 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby jmat » Thu May 21, 2009 1:15 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:I'll probably do biglaw for a few years to make some money, then I'd like to do something with labor law. How about you?


Probably something similar. I work at a biglaw firm now developing legal technology which is fascinating and the firm is actually a really good place to be and isn't as crazy as I thought, so the idea of biglawing for a few years seems less daunting. I am really interested in election law and law of democracy work, so hopefully either Dept. of Justice or another Federal Agency, but there's a lot of interesting stuff going on in that field right now. Of course, after a month of classes I will probably change my mind completely.

Any particular reason you're interested in labor law? It's a pretty cool field, I worked for an arbitration and mediation company that specialized in labor negotiations a while back and the arbitrators always had some great stories.

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby 06132010 » Thu May 21, 2009 1:24 pm

jmat wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:I'll probably do biglaw for a few years to make some money, then I'd like to do something with labor law. How about you?


Probably something similar. I work at a biglaw firm now developing legal technology which is fascinating and the firm is actually a really good place to be and isn't as crazy as I thought, so the idea of biglawing for a few years seems less daunting. I am really interested in election law and law of democracy work, so hopefully either Dept. of Justice or another Federal Agency, but there's a lot of interesting stuff going on in that field right now. Of course, after a month of classes I will probably change my mind completely.

Any particular reason you're interested in labor law? It's a pretty cool field, I worked for an arbitration and mediation company that specialized in labor negotiations a while back and the arbitrators always had some great stories.


I majored in Industrial and Labor Relations and really enjoyed the classes I took and the professors I've had. A lot of them have worked for unions or the NLRB, so they have really interesting stories about their experiences. I just graduated, so I haven't had any real work experience, but I'm interested in dispute resolution, employment law issues and advocating for employees, rather than management. Kind of contrary to biglaw, lol. Like you said, this all might change in three years (or few months), though.

User avatar
SleekFire
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:13 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby SleekFire » Thu May 21, 2009 1:33 pm

Hey guys!

My mother was always telling me about that book that tells you about all the free grant money nobody is getting...

Well I did some research and found this site (http://www.grantapprovalnetwork.com/)

Anyway looks like there is an initial 3.00 charge and then 7 days later a 59.9 monthly...

Not sure about it...

You guys have any experience with this or similar companies? Heard any stories?


(I made a separate thread (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=72895) but that was for the general public, you guys are different, more personal... so I figured I would like some input from "the family" ;-) )


Thanks guys !

User avatar
jmat
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:30 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby jmat » Thu May 21, 2009 1:36 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:I majored in Industrial and Labor Relations and really enjoyed the classes I took and the professors I've had. A lot of them have worked for unions or the NLRB, so they have really interesting stories about their experiences. I just graduated, so I haven't had any real work experience, but I'm interested in dispute resolution, employment law issues and advocating for employees, rather than management. Kind of contrary to biglaw, lol. Like you said, this all might change in three years (or few months), though.


ILR, eh? Are you a Cornell alum? I lived in Ithaca for a year with my ex while she was getting her doctorate. I miss things like nature and that awesome tapas place, I think it was called Just A Taste or something. Things I don't miss: driving in the snow.

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Unemployed » Thu May 21, 2009 1:38 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:There's really no need to be gunnerish since we'll all have CLS degrees in three years.


What if I need to be gunnerish just to get a passing grade? :twisted:

User avatar
Skadden Stairs
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:47 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Skadden Stairs » Thu May 21, 2009 1:47 pm

Unemployed wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:There's really no need to be gunnerish since we'll all have CLS degrees in three years.


What if I need to be gunnerish just to get a passing grade? :twisted:

I didn't think you could fail law school... I mean, it's not Cooley.

sbalive
Posts: 399
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:05 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby sbalive » Thu May 21, 2009 2:00 pm

SleekFire wrote:Hey guys!

My mother was always telling me about that book that tells you about all the free grant money nobody is getting...

Well I did some research and found this site (http://www.grantapprovalnetwork.com/)

Anyway looks like there is an initial 3.00 charge and then 7 days later a 59.9 monthly...

Not sure about it...

You guys have any experience with this or similar companies? Heard any stories?


(I made a separate thread (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=72895) but that was for the general public, you guys are different, more personal... so I figured I would like some input from "the family" ;-) )


Thanks guys !


These are generally not particularly useful. At best, they'll be compilations of stuff you can do on your own with online searches or by looking at the "additional grants" pages available at lots of the websites of different law schools. In addition, many of these won't apply to you - they're for specialized majors, for upper year students, or for particular demographic groups (in which case you can usually find out by them from looking at the foundations and organizations that serve your group). A solid day or two devoted to web searching for this stuff should reveal anything useful and save the initial investment. 8)

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby 06132010 » Thu May 21, 2009 2:02 pm

jmat wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:I majored in Industrial and Labor Relations and really enjoyed the classes I took and the professors I've had. A lot of them have worked for unions or the NLRB, so they have really interesting stories about their experiences. I just graduated, so I haven't had any real work experience, but I'm interested in dispute resolution, employment law issues and advocating for employees, rather than management. Kind of contrary to biglaw, lol. Like you said, this all might change in three years (or few months), though.


ILR, eh? Are you a Cornell alum? I lived in Ithaca for a year with my ex while she was getting her doctorate. I miss things like nature and that awesome tapas place, I think it was called Just A Taste or something. Things I don't miss: driving in the snow.


Yes :D ... and I'm still in Ithaca for another week or so.

Right now it's beautiful here, but we have to endure like eight months of winter.

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby 06132010 » Thu May 21, 2009 2:02 pm

Unemployed wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:There's really no need to be gunnerish since we'll all have CLS degrees in three years.


What if I need to be gunnerish just to get a passing grade? :twisted:


Haha... then I feel really bad for you :evil: .

User avatar
jmat
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:30 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby jmat » Thu May 21, 2009 2:09 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:Yes :D ... and I'm still in Ithaca for another week or so.

Right now it's beautiful here, but we have to endure like eight months of winter.


Well consider me jealous. Ithaca summers were the absolute best, fewer crowds of drunken undergrads (no offense), gorgeous weather, awesome hiking and wineries. Ahh well, any time I miss it I remember commuting from there to Clinton, NY in the snow to coach a debate team.

At least the worst the winters mean in NYC is slower subways and wet feet.

User avatar
jmat
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:30 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby jmat » Thu May 21, 2009 2:12 pm

lex talionis wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:There's really no need to be gunnerish since we'll all have CLS degrees in three years.


What if I need to be gunnerish just to get a passing grade? :twisted:

I didn't think you could fail law school... I mean, it's not Cooley.


I don't think being a gunner has anything to do with grades, apparently class participation means so very little towards your grade in the end that it's not even worth it. I also imagine it would take a whole lot of lazy in order to fail at law school.

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby 06132010 » Thu May 21, 2009 2:14 pm

the wineries here are great. we actually just went on a senior week wine tour.

And I can understand your disdain for drunken undergrads. We can be a bit rowdy at times and the bars here get insanely crowded because there's nothing else to do at night.

User avatar
Skadden Stairs
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:47 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Skadden Stairs » Thu May 21, 2009 2:15 pm

jmat wrote:
lex talionis wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:There's really no need to be gunnerish since we'll all have CLS degrees in three years.


What if I need to be gunnerish just to get a passing grade? :twisted:

I didn't think you could fail law school... I mean, it's not Cooley.


I don't think being a gunner has anything to do with grades, apparently class participation means so very little towards your grade in the end that it's not even worth it. I also imagine it would take a whole lot of lazy in order to fail at law school.

That's what I don't get about the whole Socratic method humiliation thing. Who cares if the teacher (and others) thinks you're unprepared (or retarded) if exams are graded blindly and account for all of your grade?

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby 06132010 » Thu May 21, 2009 2:15 pm

jmat wrote:
lex talionis wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:There's really no need to be gunnerish since we'll all have CLS degrees in three years.


What if I need to be gunnerish just to get a passing grade? :twisted:

I didn't think you could fail law school... I mean, it's not Cooley.


I don't think being a gunner has anything to do with grades, apparently class participation means so very little towards your grade in the end that it's not even worth it. I also imagine it would take a whole lot of lazy in order to fail at law school.


we need at least one gunner so we can make fun of him!

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby 06132010 » Thu May 21, 2009 2:17 pm

lex talionis wrote:That's what I don't get about the whole Socratic method humiliation thing. Who cares if the teacher (and others) thinks you're unprepared (or retarded) if exams are graded blindly and account for all of your grade?


It's going to take a lot more than not being able to answer a professor's question to humiliate me.

User avatar
SleekFire
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:13 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby SleekFire » Thu May 21, 2009 2:19 pm

Off topic here....

We settled on Discover being the best gradplus provider right?

User avatar
SleekFire
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:13 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby SleekFire » Thu May 21, 2009 2:20 pm

sbalive wrote:
SleekFire wrote:Hey guys!

My mother was always telling me about that book that tells you about all the free grant money nobody is getting...

Well I did some research and found this site (http://www.grantapprovalnetwork.com/)

Anyway looks like there is an initial 3.00 charge and then 7 days later a 59.9 monthly...

Not sure about it...

You guys have any experience with this or similar companies? Heard any stories?


(I made a separate thread (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=72895) but that was for the general public, you guys are different, more personal... so I figured I would like some input from "the family" ;-) )


Thanks guys !


These are generally not particularly useful. At best, they'll be compilations of stuff you can do on your own with online searches or by looking at the "additional grants" pages available at lots of the websites of different law schools. In addition, many of these won't apply to you - they're for specialized majors, for upper year students, or for particular demographic groups (in which case you can usually find out by them from looking at the foundations and organizations that serve your group). A solid day or two devoted to web searching for this stuff should reveal anything useful and save the initial investment. 8)


Right, I have tried those searches and the information is terrible. I had been hoping that this would be in an easier to use format and hopefully be worth the inital investment....

I guess probably not....

User avatar
Antipodean
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:40 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Antipodean » Thu May 21, 2009 2:41 pm

SleekFire wrote:Off topic here....

We settled on Discover being the best gradplus provider right?

That seems to be the consensus. I signed my MPN with them last week.

booyakasha45 wrote:we need at least one gunner so we can make fun of him!

What happens to those who end up in a section without one? Draw straws each week to see who has to be the gunner?

User avatar
jmat
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:30 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby jmat » Thu May 21, 2009 2:45 pm

Antipodean wrote:
SleekFire wrote:Off topic here....

We settled on Discover being the best gradplus provider right?

That seems to be the consensus. I signed my MPN with them last week.

booyakasha45 wrote:we need at least one gunner so we can make fun of him!

What happens to those who end up in a section without one? Draw straws each week to see who has to be the gunner?



Nah, you can always find someone to make snarky inappropriate gchat comments about, I wouldn't worry about this. Unless it's you, in which case I would be mildly concerned. Either way, I am willing to bet a large sum of money that there will still be plenty of gunners.

Also I think part of the gunner thing is to impress professors who are going to write letters of recommendation later on for clerkships and whatnot. Either way, in the couple of classes I sat in on it seems like most discussion was actually just interesting and good debate rather than gunneriness.

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby 06132010 » Thu May 21, 2009 3:37 pm

jmat wrote:Nah, you can always find someone to make snarky inappropriate gchat comments about, I wouldn't worry about this. Unless it's you, in which case I would be mildly concerned. Either way, I am willing to bet a large sum of money that there will still be plenty of gunners.

Also I think part of the gunner thing is to impress professors who are going to write letters of recommendation later on for clerkships and whatnot. Either way, in the couple of classes I sat in on it seems like most discussion was actually just interesting and good debate rather than gunneriness.


If you're in my section there will be an abundance of snarky inappropriate gchat comments, regardless of the gunner situation. My friend and I also have this game called Paintwarz where we draw ridiculous pictures of people/professors in our classes and try not to laugh hysterically in the middle of lecture.

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Unemployed » Thu May 21, 2009 3:44 pm

jmat wrote:I also imagine it would take a whole lot of lazy in order to fail at law school.


(Really worried) :oops: :oops:

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby 06132010 » Thu May 21, 2009 3:46 pm

Unemployed wrote:
jmat wrote:I also imagine it would take a whole lot of lazy in order to fail at law school.


(Really worried) :oops: :oops:


are you going to account for the 0.3% attrition?

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Unemployed » Thu May 21, 2009 3:48 pm

jmat wrote:
Antipodean wrote:
SleekFire wrote:Off topic here....

We settled on Discover being the best gradplus provider right?

That seems to be the consensus. I signed my MPN with them last week.

booyakasha45 wrote:we need at least one gunner so we can make fun of him!

What happens to those who end up in a section without one? Draw straws each week to see who has to be the gunner?



Nah, you can always find someone to make snarky inappropriate gchat comments about, I wouldn't worry about this. Unless it's you, in which case I would be mildly concerned. Either way, I am willing to bet a large sum of money that there will still be plenty of gunners.

Also I think part of the gunner thing is to impress professors who are going to write letters of recommendation later on for clerkships and whatnot. Either way, in the couple of classes I sat in on it seems like most discussion was actually just interesting and good debate rather than gunneriness.


Aren't you better off impressing the professors outside the classrooms (i.e. office hours)? That way, you minimize the possibility of public humiliation and Booya won't make fun of your weirdly shaped head on gchat.

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Unemployed » Thu May 21, 2009 3:51 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
jmat wrote:I also imagine it would take a whole lot of lazy in order to fail at law school.


(Really worried) :oops: :oops:


are you going to account for the 0.3% attrition?


Possibly.

And yes - I understand that the 0.3% figure represents 1 student.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest