Columbia Law School 2012! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
MeTalkPrettyOneDay

Bronze

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Post by MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Sat May 23, 2009 12:54 am

SleekFire wrote:Hey guys!

My mother was always telling me about that book that tells you about all the free grant money nobody is getting...

Well I did some research and found this site (http://www.grantapprovalnetwork.com/)

Anyway looks like there is an initial 3.00 charge and then 7 days later a 59.9 monthly...

Not sure about it...

You guys have any experience with this or similar companies? Heard any stories?

(I made a separate thread (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 15&t=72895) but that was for the general public, you guys are different, more personal... so I figured I would like some input from "the family" ;-) )

Thanks guys !
....This looks like a massive scam.

Go here:
http://www.grants.gov/
or here:
https://www.cfda.gov/index?cck=1&au=&ck=

If you want more info, buy a book. But DON'T sign up for some service that will charge you $60 a month, and very well could give you shit in return.

Besides... free money? For serious? If the government really was giving out tons of free money to everyone and their uncle, don't you think CLS would tell us to apply for grants X, Y, & Z? As it is, CLS does a good job directing us to Stafford Loans, etc. If there was free gov't law school grant money up for grabs, I think CLS would tell us. As I said, this looks like one epic scam.

DavidMorales

New

Post by DavidMorales » Sat May 23, 2009 12:17 pm

Elizabeth Grainger is my hero. A week ago my bro got a letter they had approved his housing application. Housing immediately hooked him up with an apartment with another student. Problem: my brother and I had asked to live together. Brother expressed disappointment to UAH and they responded that my application had not been approved yet so they couldn't assign me an apartment and that it wouldn't be a good idea to turn down offer. I called Ms. Grainger at the law school and told her the situation. She was responsive and said she'd take care of it. Although the law school doesn't usually approve housing apps till the end of the month or early june, they were going to speed mine up. This was 8pm CST, or around 9pm EST. (I'm amazed by their work ethic). By afternoon the next day my housing app was approved and I was assigned an apartment with my brother.

Useful information for law students: my cost for unfurnished closet was 861 per month plus 30 for internet. Payment, due a week after assignment was 1722, which is first month's + deposit. This is payable by credit card (which i'm starting to think is the way Columbia wants things to be paid).

I know that most of you won't get your assignments till June but i thought this might be helpful and it's a good story about how great the people are at the law school.

jpaul09

New

Post by jpaul09 » Sat May 23, 2009 12:35 pm

Does the 861 include all utilities? And did you ask for a lower-priced apt, or did you just get one? Also, are you happy with your location relative to the law school? (You don't have to give the street if you don't want to; I'm just trying to judge whether I'm going to be offered a cheaper apt up in the 120s since I was asking for something below 950/month.)
Thanks! And that's a great story about how responsive the law school was to your situation.

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Sat May 23, 2009 5:02 pm

Anyone else get a faux-leather notebook thingy and a hand-written card (obvi written by an 11 year-old boy)?

frank_the_tank

Bronze

Post by frank_the_tank » Sat May 23, 2009 5:45 pm

lex talionis wrote:Anyone else get a faux-leather notebook thingy and a hand-written card (obvi written by an 11 year-old boy)?

Yeah I just got it today. It is nice, but I'd much rather have my travel subsidy check.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DavidMorales

New

Post by DavidMorales » Sat May 23, 2009 7:02 pm

jpaul09 wrote:Does the 861 include all utilities? And did you ask for a lower-priced apt, or did you just get one? Also, are you happy with your location relative to the law school? (You don't have to give the street if you don't want to; I'm just trying to judge whether I'm going to be offered a cheaper apt up in the 120s since I was asking for something below 950/month.)
Thanks! And that's a great story about how responsive the law school was to your situation.
I didn't specify but I think I got one of the cheaper ones.It is right between Amsterdam and Morningside drive on 119th street; I thinks the location is quite excellent for the law school. On the other hand my room is very very small. Yes, it includes utilities.

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Sat May 23, 2009 7:54 pm

lex talionis wrote:Anyone else get a faux-leather notebook thingy and a hand-written card (obvi written by an 11 year-old boy)?
Not yet, but I'm excited for my impending leather-bound book.

thrillhouse

Bronze

Post by thrillhouse » Sun May 24, 2009 8:52 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:
I got it, too. I guess I was less offput by it than lex. I was just glad they still remember that I'm coming.

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Mon May 25, 2009 1:36 pm

thrillhouse wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:
I got it, too. I guess I was less offput by it than lex. I was just glad they still remember that I'm coming.
Haven't received the notebook but +1 on the remembering that I'm coming.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thrillhouse

Bronze

Post by thrillhouse » Tue May 26, 2009 10:43 am

Does anyone know if we have a locker or any sort of place to store our massive books?

jpaul09

New

Post by jpaul09 » Tue May 26, 2009 10:48 am

There are lockers, and I'm pretty sure they said at ASW that everyone gets one. It's like high school all over again. :)

Antipodean

Bronze

Post by Antipodean » Tue May 26, 2009 11:16 am

I also recall hearing at the ASW that everyone gets a locker. They're on the ground floor of the Jerome Greene building (on 116th), so they're handy to both the library and the cafeteria/study area.

This "high school all over again" theme keeps popping up in conversations about law school. Is that a good thing, or a bad thing?

SleekFire

Bronze

Post by SleekFire » Tue May 26, 2009 11:35 am

Antipodean wrote:I also recall hearing at the ASW that everyone gets a locker. They're on the ground floor of the Jerome Greene building (on 116th), so they're handy to both the library and the cafeteria/study area.

This "high school all over again" theme keeps popping up in conversations about law school. Is that a good thing, or a bad thing?
I guess that will depend on your high school experience ;-)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Tue May 26, 2009 11:36 am

Antipodean wrote:I also recall hearing at the ASW that everyone gets a locker. They're on the ground floor of the Jerome Greene building (on 116th), so they're handy to both the library and the cafeteria/study area.

I was a dumb jock in high school and a drunkard in college. I am looking forward to being a studious nerd in high school part II, surrounded by other studious nerds. :mrgreen:
Milhouse wrote:I'm not a nerd... Nerds are smart!

jpaul09

New

Post by jpaul09 » Tue May 26, 2009 11:47 am

Nothing negative meant by my high school comment -- it's just that I've gotten quite used to not lugging a backpack around, not having to memorize a lock combination, etc.

SleekFire

Bronze

Post by SleekFire » Tue May 26, 2009 11:51 am

Sorry to interrupt the nostalgia but, does anyone know when those dean certificates are due?

jpaul09

New

Post by jpaul09 » Tue May 26, 2009 11:56 am

Dean's Cert is due by June 15.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SleekFire

Bronze

Post by SleekFire » Tue May 26, 2009 11:58 am

Thanks!

Anyone sent 'em in yet?

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Tue May 26, 2009 11:59 am

I sent mine to my dean. One can only hope she filled it out and sent it to the school.

jmat

New

Post by jmat » Tue May 26, 2009 12:01 pm

jpaul09 wrote:There are lockers, and I'm pretty sure they said at ASW that everyone gets one. It's like high school all over again. :)
I've been thinking of, if the whole being smart thing doesn't work out, being the law school bully and stuffing people in to lockers. Anyone else up for forming a gang of law school hoodlums?

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Tue May 26, 2009 12:08 pm

jmat wrote:
jpaul09 wrote:There are lockers, and I'm pretty sure they said at ASW that everyone gets one. It's like high school all over again. :)
I've been thinking of, if the whole being smart thing doesn't work out, being the law school bully and stuffing people in to lockers. Anyone else up for forming a gang of law school hoodlums?
These lockers may be too small to accommodate a typical law student. Even if you find someone tiny enough (most likely a female) to fit in the Columbia lockers, bullies picking on girls is SO middle school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Antipodean

Bronze

Post by Antipodean » Tue May 26, 2009 12:14 pm

Unemployed wrote:
jmat wrote:I've been thinking of, if the whole being smart thing doesn't work out, being the law school bully and stuffing people in to lockers. Anyone else up for forming a gang of law school hoodlums?
These lockers may be too small to accommodate a typical law student. Even if you find someone tiny enough (most likely a female) to fit in the Columbia lockers, bullies picking on girls is SO middle school.
They bite and kick and scratch. And sometimes, we fall in love. :|

jmat

New

Post by jmat » Tue May 26, 2009 12:16 pm

Antipodean wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
jmat wrote:I've been thinking of, if the whole being smart thing doesn't work out, being the law school bully and stuffing people in to lockers. Anyone else up for forming a gang of law school hoodlums?
They bite and kick and scratch. And sometimes, we fall in love. :|
Oh man, it sounds like Daniel Stern is going to be narrating my law school experience. Now I am totally stoked.

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Tue May 26, 2009 1:00 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:I sent mine to my dean. One can only hope she filled it out and sent it to the school.
I've got a note on mine that I faxed it to my UG back in February. I was JUST thinking that I should call and check on that. Hmmm....

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Tue May 26, 2009 3:48 pm

--LinkRemoved--

So (roughly) 5 members of the Class of 2009 could not land a job?

Comforting and disconcerting at the same time.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”