Columbia Law School 2012! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
bermuda

New

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Post by bermuda » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:04 pm

Last edited by bermuda on Tue May 26, 2009 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:50 pm

deneuve39 wrote: I also am really excited about this new study abroad thing with Oxford in law and finance! I hope it's finalized by by August so I can see which classes are needed for it and stuff.
I was really interested in the Paris program they mentioned bc I used to work in Paris and would like to go back, but I'm having trouble finding info about it online bc the only ones I could find a) required fluency in French (which I distinctly remember the dean saying you didn't need for whatever the program was) and b) just didn't sound like what he was talking about. Can anyone direct me to more info about that group of programs Dean Schizer talked about?

Applied for housing yesterday after deciding that I didn't want to pay for Lenfest--I really hope I get one of the big places and a nice roommate!

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:54 pm

Do I have to put down my deposit before applying for housing?

I'm sure it was in the information they sent me, but I can't get a hold of it at the moment.

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:11 pm

lex talionis wrote:Do I have to put down my deposit before applying for housing?

I'm sure it was in the information they sent me, but I can't get a hold of it at the moment.
No, you can apply for housing without putting down a deposit. You just need your CUID# that was in the housing E-mail. If you deleted it, you can just call admissions and they'll give it to you again (that's what I had to do).

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:14 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:
lex talionis wrote:Do I have to put down my deposit before applying for housing?

No, you can apply for housing without putting down a deposit. You just need your CUID# that was in the housing E-mail. If you deleted it, you can just call admissions and they'll give it to you again (that's what I had to do).
ooo awesome, thanks

I'm going to apply for housing tomorrow, then.

Although, it would be nice to know my finaid situation first (if I get grants, then I might be willing to pay for Lenfest).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

deneuve39

Bronze

Post by deneuve39 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:12 pm

bermuda wrote:I was really interested in the Paris program they mentioned bc I used to work in Paris and would like to go back, but I'm having trouble finding info about it online bc the only ones I could find a) required fluency in French (which I distinctly remember the dean saying you didn't need for whatever the program was) and b) just didn't sound like what he was talking about. Can anyone direct me to more info about that group of programs Dean Schizer talked about?
Hey:

So I just looked too and I think the Paris program he was talking about was probably the semester exchange one, which does have the language requirement. I think he might have been referring generally to most of the programs (like the one in Beijing, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, etc) when he said there wasn't a language requirement...

frank_the_tank

Bronze

Post by frank_the_tank » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:39 pm

Holy crap need access is long. I decided...yeah i'm not gonna do it.

dja1215

New

Post by dja1215 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:41 pm

just joined the crew for next year...is anyone living in the new york area right now?

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:36 pm

dja1215 wrote:just joined the crew for next year...is anyone living in the new york area right now?
Congrats :)

Long Island... idk if you'd necessarily count that, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

takingmytime

New

Post by takingmytime » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:40 am

I don't know how many current CLS students are around this thread but I just looked at the CLS website and noticed a brief article about the Columbia law review editor-in-chief who will be clerking in the eastern district of Virginia when he graduates. Now, I would love to clerk for any federal judge, but is it so incredibly difficult to get a clekship from CLS that even the law review's editor-in-chief can't go to a circuit court? If so, I'm screwed.

Also, I looked into the current law review board and noticed that all the major editors were from ivy undergrads. Now, I know there is no way in hell I’ll get on law review if I go to CLS, but is the student population so ivy laden that this really could be a coincidence, do ivy grads tend to stick together or are ivy students just better (in terms of grades and writing ability) than grads from lesser UG schools? What I’m trying to get at is why the prestigious positions are held by all ivy graduates.
Link http://www.law.columbia.edu/media_inqui ... law_review

I'd also appreciate some thoughts on the pervasiveness of UG ivy grads from people who were able to attend the admitted student days.

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:49 am

dja1215 wrote:just joined the crew for next year...is anyone living in the new york area right now?
Brooklyn at the moment, although I work in Midtown.

bermuda

New

Post by bermuda » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:52 am

Last edited by bermuda on Tue May 26, 2009 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:46 am

So, are your Columbia 0L's out there getting a Mac or a PC for school?

Frankly, I'm leaning towards a Mac...but this will be my first one, and I'm not sure how Mac-compatible Columbia is. Thoughts?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

frank_the_tank

Bronze

Post by frank_the_tank » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:50 am

takingmytime wrote:I don't know how many current CLS students are around this thread but I just looked at the CLS website and noticed a brief article about the Columbia Law Review Editor-in-chief who will be clerking in the eastern district of Virginia when he graduates. Now, I would love to clerk for any federal judge, but is it so incredibly difficult to get a clekship from CLS that even the law review's editor-in-chief can't go to a circuit court? If so, I'm screwed.

Also, I looked into the current law review board and noticed that all the major editors were from ivy undergrads. Now, I know there is no way in hell I’ll get on law review if I go to CLS, but is the student population so ivy laden that this really could be a coincidence, do ivy grads tend to stick together or are ivy students just better (in terms of grades and writing ability) than grads from lesser UG schools? What I’m trying to get at is why the prestigious positions are held by all ivy graduates.
Link http://www.law.columbia.edu/media_inqui ... law_review

I'd also appreciate some thoughts on the pervasiveness of UG ivy grads from people who were able to attend the admitted student days.
Yeah there were lots of Ivy people at the admitted students program...but nobody really cared. Don't worry about it.

bermuda

New

Post by bermuda » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:52 am

Last edited by bermuda on Tue May 26, 2009 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:15 pm

Lem37 wrote:So, are your Columbia 0L's out there getting a Mac or a PC for school?

Frankly, I'm leaning towards a Mac...but this will be my first one, and I'm not sure how Mac-compatible Columbia is. Thoughts?
I got my first Mac in September after three PCs. I'm never getting another PC.

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:18 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:
Lem37 wrote:So, are your Columbia 0L's out there getting a Mac or a PC for school?

Which Mac do you suggest - MacBook, MacBook Pro, or Air? I am so new to Apple, so I'm very confused.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

facker09

New

Post by facker09 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:23 pm

DO NOT GET AIR. Unless you have other computers you are brining with you. It doesn't even have cd-roms and are very minimally functional.

I am personally getting a pro only because I use a lot of Adobe products. Macbook is meant for low-to-medium capacity users who don't do much more than web and other office-related activities. In other words, Macbook isn't quite suitable for people who do design work, heavy analytic, or anything that requires a lot of "brainpower" of a computer.

I did hear though, when you run the latest exam software--the kind you are REQUIRED to use for CLS exams--Macbooks get really hot (temperature-wise of course) because the software uses up 100% of macbook cpu. Not so for pro. But probably not a good enough reason for $500 dollars...
Last edited by facker09 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:40 pm

Lem37 wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:

Which Mac do you suggest - MacBook, MacBook Pro, or Air? I am so new to Apple, so I'm very confused.
I just have a regular MacBook, but I'm not really familiar with the other ones. All of my friends with Macs also have the regular MacBook. I think facker09 is more well-versed in Macs than I am, so listen to him.

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 pm

I don't even know if I want to buy a new laptop for the fall. Is this something everyone does? I finally have my (old) macbook the way I like it. Maybe I'll just get a bigger lacie.

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:47 pm

lex talionis wrote:I don't even know if I want to buy a new laptop for the fall. Is this something everyone does? I finally have my (old) macbook the way I like it. Maybe I'll just get a bigger lacie.
I only buy a new laptop when I break my old one. This happens once every 3 years when I am drunk.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:48 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:
lex talionis wrote:I don't even know if I want to buy a new laptop for the fall. Is this something everyone does? I finally have my (old) macbook the way I like it. Maybe I'll just get a bigger lacie.
I only buy a new laptop when I break my old one. This happens once every 3 years when I am drunk.
Gotcha. I went through 3 between senior year of HS and freshman year. Go figure.

facker09

New

Post by facker09 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:52 pm

For those still in UG: you probably want to buy a new laptop before you graduate (maybe depending on your school) because schools have CRAZY sales at the end of the year to get rid of old stocks. My school offers ridiculous discounts to its students.

For those not in school: there is always the back-to-school sale that is just SOOO much better than Apple.com. I am alsmot 90% certain Columbia bookstore has this deal. So unless you want a crazy-customized Mac (or cough cough--PC), you probably want to wait until you can take advantage of this deal. You can usually save around 200 - 300 depending on the expensiveness of the model.

Sigh--I should be looking into housing. Well, really I should be doing my thesis instead of doing tls...

frank_the_tank

Bronze

Post by frank_the_tank » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:21 pm

Sent in housing application yesterday.....

rejected at Harvard today..ouch!

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:22 pm

frank_the_tank wrote:Sent in housing application yesterday.....

rejected at Harvard today..ouch!
get on AIM.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”