Columbia Law School 2012! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
deneuve39

Bronze

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Post by deneuve39 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:53 am

Last edited by deneuve39 on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thistimereborn

New

Post by thistimereborn » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:54 am

Did they say that they're deferring you until the regular cycle or are they still considering you under ED?

deneuve39

Bronze

Post by deneuve39 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:43 am

They said that I should send my grades in a personal letter "as soon as possible" so they could still consider me for early decision. My finals end Dec 18th so I should be able to send them a letter December 20th or so. (I have to have a transcript sent too, but I think they understand that that might take til early January...)
Any thoughts?

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:39 pm

deneuve39 wrote:They said that I should send my grades in a personal letter "as soon as possible" so they could still consider me for early decision. My finals end Dec 18th so I should be able to send them a letter December 20th or so. (I have to have a transcript sent too, but I think they understand that that might take til early January...)
Any thoughts?
I wonder if that's what that one later ED acceptance that we see on LSN from last year was about...

rickstar

New

Post by rickstar » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:44 pm

If CLS defers an applicant to an early January decision due to waiting for Fall grades, I would assume said applicant is no longer morally/legally bound to attend CLS. Thoughts?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:45 pm

If you are deferred ED, then you are no longer ED at a school because you have been placed into the RD pool.

littleboyblue

Bronze

Post by littleboyblue » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:28 pm

By what date do they guarantee you a decision? I would assume, regardless if they request fall grades, if they admit you before that date than you are still an ED candidate. If they cannot make a decision by that date, hence a deferral, than you are no longer an ED candidate and therefore not subject to the contract.

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:35 pm

deneuve39 wrote:They said that I should send my grades in a personal letter "as soon as possible" so they could still consider me for early decision. My finals end Dec 18th so I should be able to send them a letter December 20th or so. (I have to have a transcript sent too, but I think they understand that that might take til early January...)
Any thoughts?
Note that he says "so they can still consider me for early decision." Even if he has been deferred to January, as long as the school is still considering him under an early decision contract, he's bound to go. The only reason why deferrals release you from the ED contract is because they TELL you you've been thrown back in with the regular applicant pool.

bocadellupo

New

Post by bocadellupo » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:38 pm

so uhh... is this a bad sign for those of us with similar numbers who still haven't heard anything?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:41 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by whyamidoingthis on Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deneuve39

Bronze

Post by deneuve39 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:40 pm

Thanks everyone; hopefully soon I'll be posting that I've been accepted! (provided I don't fail my upcoming finals...)
And just to note, I think they're still considering me ED and planning to send a decision before New Year's.

m_baum

New

Post by m_baum » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:44 pm

Reading this forum, it's hard to tell if I should actually give up hope yet, or if all of us are too anxious to post anything rational.

Can anyone be the voice of reason? Is it ridiculous to expect that there are more acceptances on the way?

As a splitter (3.9 at Northwestern and Carnegie Mellon, 169 LSAT) I have no idea how to feel. Help?

PeanutButtah

New

Post by PeanutButtah » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:52 pm

m_baum wrote:Reading this forum, it's hard to tell if I should actually give up hope yet, or if all of us are too anxious to post anything rational.

Can anyone be the voice of reason? Is it ridiculous to expect that there are more acceptances on the way?

As a splitter (3.9 at Northwestern and Carnegie Mellon, 169 LSAT) I have no idea how to feel. Help?
I wouldn't give up hope until about Friday honestly, it looks like from LSN a whole bunch of EDers got let in around the 11th. However, just for my own sake, I'm not getting my hopes too up-- but I'll bet there's a 50/50 shot a few people get in at the end of the week. It's just my guess tho. :P

And you're not exactly a splitter, both your numbers are great! I'm sure if CLS doesn't happen, you'll get into a few other amazing schools no problem.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:57 pm

PeanutButtah wrote:
m_baum wrote:Reading this forum, it's hard to tell if I should actually give up hope yet, or if all of us are too anxious to post anything rational.

I wouldn't give up hope until about Friday honestly, it looks like from LSN a whole bunch of EDers got let in around the 11th. However, just for my own sake, I'm not getting my hopes too up-- but I'll bet there's a 50/50 shot a few people get in at the end of the week. It's just my guess tho. :P

And you're not exactly a splitter, both your numbers are great! I'm sure if CLS doesn't happen, you'll get into a few other amazing schools no problem.
I'm all sad and weepy about Columbia so I won't make yet another comment about that, but I agree with PeanutButtah that 3.9/169 are great numbers! You're going to get some really good acceptances with or without CLS.

thistimereborn

New

Post by thistimereborn » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:17 pm

For those of you who have applied ED to Columbia (as I did), is NYU your next highest choice?

If so, do you think those of us who don't make it into Columbia stand a good chance of getting into NYU? This is, of course, assuming that we're talking about people who have numbers around or slightly below Columbia's median.

My main concern with NYU is that they will average my two scores, which brings me out of the low 170s and into the high 160s.

Apparently with a 3.9 GPA and a 168, though, there's an above 50% chance of being admitted, according to LSN.

So maybe even if we don't get into Columbia, we won't have to give up our New York dreams. Thoughts?

P.S. I'm not giving up hope yet for Columbia!

mightyaphrodite

New

Post by mightyaphrodite » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:26 pm

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

quakeroat

New

Post by quakeroat » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:28 pm

thistimereborn wrote:For those of you who have applied ED to Columbia (as I did), is NYU your next highest choice?

If so, do you think those of us who don't make it into Columbia stand a good chance of getting into NYU? This is, of course, assuming that we're talking about people who have numbers around or slightly below Columbia's median.

My main concern with NYU is that they will average my two scores, which brings me out of the low 170s and into the high 160s.

Apparently with a 3.9 GPA and a 168, though, there's an above 50% chance of being admitted, according to LSN.

So maybe even if we don't get into Columbia, we won't have to give up our New York dreams. Thoughts?

With a 3.9/17x (or even high 160s) I wouldn't give up hope either. :D Great GPA!

For me I think my next choice would actually be Chicago. I feel like it carries a bit more weight in the legal world nationwide than NYU, although that feeling isn't really substantiated by anything.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

J2K

New

Post by J2K » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:33 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm in at Columbia Law School as well - I actually deferred my acceptance from 2008 but now also can't wait for Aug 2009! Nice to meet you guys. :-)

emilybeth

Bronze

Post by emilybeth » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:34 pm

Last edited by emilybeth on Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

J2K

New

Columbia Class of 2012

Post by J2K » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:35 pm

Congrats!

Nice to meet you all.

britishseapower

New

Post by britishseapower » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:40 pm

IN!! Email at 3. Typing this from the bus to Manhattan. I hope to see all of you waiting to hear back there too!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

m_baum

New

Post by m_baum » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:40 pm

mightyaphrodite wrote:

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
I've used it once, and I assumed that the term referred to someone whose GPA and LSAT place them at fairly disparate percentiles for school profiles. Then again, I haven't seen this term too many times, so I might have misread its contextual meaning.

m_baum

New

Post by m_baum » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:42 pm

thistimereborn wrote:For those of you who have applied ED to Columbia (as I did), is NYU your next highest choice?

NYU is definitely my next choice, but I can't speak to our chances there (similar numbers).

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:49 pm

Congrats to those who have heard!!!

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:52 pm

Oh and if you two are comfortable, what are your numbers?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”