Columbia Law School 2012! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
thrillhouse

Bronze

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Post by thrillhouse » Sun May 31, 2009 9:34 pm

I got the ATT discount just now. It says it will kick in within 2 billing cycles. Seems like a good deal to me.

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:40 am

US Open tix go on sale this week... evening sessions?

SleekFire

Bronze

Post by SleekFire » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:23 pm

Sprint is telling me I have to be the account holder and that they won't apply it to my account anyway since I have a Sero plan..

The fight goes on!

kewlsamurai

New

Post by kewlsamurai » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:40 pm

jmat wrote:
jessicaw wrote:I have a neighborhood question for any of you who are already familiar with the Columbia neighborhood:

I found a great apartment on West 117th st, about 2 blocks from morningside park. It looks like a quick jaunt through the park will land me close to the law school in morningside heights. I'm concerned about safety though, both in the park and in West Harlem. Does anybody have any knowledge of this area, and whether it would be safe for a single female? (I'd have apartment mates, but i'm still concerned about walking alone)

THANKS!
Te neighborhood is fine, it's actually a pretty nice area to have an apartment. However, I would be hesitant to regularly walk through the park. Outside of the park is fine, but inside the park there are a lot of muggings at night. It's the only place in the neighborhood that's particularly dangerous.

When I was in undergrad we nicknamed the park Murderside. Walking through the part is not wise; I've seen shady stuff happen there in the day.

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:51 pm

^^ :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jmat

New

Post by jmat » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:00 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:^^ :shock:
Seriously, two rules to live life by. First, there's always money in the banana stand. Second, don't go in to Morningside Park, if you walk around the park though it's fine. I used to live right on the block, it's nothing to be concerned about if you're smart about it.

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:12 pm

Morningside heights is very safe. West Harlem is generally safe. Morningside park is not. Walk around the park if at all possible at night.

Also, not sure if you've seen the area, but there's a huge ass hill between morningside heights and harlem (hence, heights). Could be a pain to climb it every day.

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:20 pm

jmat wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:^^ :shock:
Seriously, two rules to live life by. First, there's always money in the banana stand. Second, don't go in to Morningside Park, if you walk around the park though it's fine. I used to live right on the block, it's nothing to be concerned about if you're smart about it.
Arrested Development reference redeems you for being a Mets fan :D .

Is it only unsafe at night, or at all times?

jmat

New

Post by jmat » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:27 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:Arrested Development reference redeems you for being a Mets fan :D .

Is it only unsafe at night, or at all times?
Sigh, I am not sure I am cool with needing redemption for being a Mets fan, but appreciation of AD references redeems you for that, so I'd say we're even. Let's put it this way, I have been in the park during the day, it's fine, but there's just no reason to ever do so, it's not so large that going around it is all that difficult and no so great and wonderful that going in it is a necessity. If curiosity gets the better of you and I am sure we can form up a nice group and take a stroll though the park, because what's more intimidating than a posse of future lawyers?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jessicaw

New

Post by jessicaw » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:35 pm

Thanks guys!

Yeah I looked at a lot of pictures and noticed the big hill... actually looked like a nice hike to class (would get my blood pumping, you know?) I'm glad to hear that the neighborhood isn't so bad, and I can easily go around the park at night. Its safe enough during the day, right? Because it looks rather pretty.

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:37 pm

jmat wrote:If curiosity gets the better of you and I am sure we can form up a nice group and take a stroll though the park, because what's more intimidating than a posse of future lawyers?
Quite honestly, I can't think of anything more intimidating than a posse of 1Ls.

roster

New

Post by roster » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:49 pm

Has anybody heard back from UAH/know when we should hear about our housing offer?

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:17 pm

lex talionis wrote:US Open tix go on sale this week... evening sessions?
I was actually thinking about getting tix to that, but all my friends are going with fancy seats. Cheap seats FTW?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jpaul09

New

Post by jpaul09 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:16 pm

Verizon guy e-mailed back. He said the discount is only for Columbia employees, although they might be working on something for Columbia students.
I asked him if something might firm up this summer and mentioned that AT&T is putting through a 20% discount. While I'd like to keep my Verizon, 20% is a pretty big difference.

MeTalkPrettyOneDay

Bronze

Post by MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Sometime this summer, I'm getting a new computer. My Dell Inspiron 700m is slowly dying on me. I know there are about 5 billion threads on this subject, but I'm wondering if any fellow CLSers have some insights. Here's what I'm thinking:

-Dell XPS M1330. I'd go with Vista Business 64-bit for networking & speed. Strangely, Dell doesn't seem to offer Vista Business in 64-bit for the XPS M1330 (unless I'm missing something). That's a pain. I want the networking reliability of Business, but I don't want to step down to the 32-bit version. But otherwise, I like the XPS M1330.

or

-Aluminum Macbook. Install XP in Boot Camp for SofTest. Install VMware because I like Microsoft Office Home & Student 2007 (Windows-only) more than the Mac version.

Any thoughts? I'm a longtime PC-user, but I'm starting to lean toward the Macbook. I think VMware would give me the benefits of a PC without the other problems, and Dell's aversion to Vista Business 64-bit is both confusing and annoying.

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:23 pm

MeTalkPrettyOneDay wrote:Sometime this summer, I'm getting a new computer. My Dell Inspiron 700m is slowly dying on me. I know there are about 5 billion threads on this subject, but I'm wondering if any fellow CLSers have some insights. Here's what I'm thinking:

-Dell XPS M1330. I'd go with Vista Business 64-bit for networking & speed. Strangely, Dell doesn't seem to offer Vista Business in 64-bit for the XPS M1330 (unless I'm missing something). That's a pain. I want the networking reliability of Business, but I don't want to step down to the 32-bit version. But otherwise, I like the XPS M1330.

or

-Aluminum Macbook. Install XP in Boot Camp for SofTest. Install VMware because I like Microsoft Office Home & Student 2007 (Windows-only) more than the Mac version.

Any thoughts? I'm a longtime PC-user, but I'm starting to lean toward the Macbook. I think VMware would give me the benefits of a PC without the other problems, and Dell's aversion to Vista Business 64-bit is both confusing and annoying.
Ah, so many freakin' threads about this. I was, like you, a longtime PC user. I recently switched to a MacBook Pro. It's gorge. Seriously, waking up to it staring at me from across my bedroom is what I imagine waking up next to a supermodel would be like.

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:23 pm

whyamidoingthis wrote:
lex talionis wrote:US Open tix go on sale this week... evening sessions?
I was actually thinking about getting tix to that, but all my friends are going with fancy seats. Cheap seats FTW?
Hmmm the amex presale tickets are kinda crap... they're all in the lower promenade (300s, row J, etc.). But I suppose they will only get worse during the regular sale next week. Like $45/each?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dachillchick

New

Post by dachillchick » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:57 pm

So yea...anyone hear about housing yet?

DavidMorales

New

Post by DavidMorales » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:50 pm

I vote for an X200 or T400; once you see the type of work productivity a thinkpad can offer you'll never go back. Plus, OneNote is priceless. ALSO, Columbia gives some great discounts on Office and other software (although my UG has a better deal on CS4).

From my conversation with the Law School's housing people, they do the housing application approvals in early June. Once it is approved UAH makes the assignment offers. This should be 1-2 weeks after approval.

Hey, I keep stressing the book situation. Anyone know if there are certain books that are assigned to everyone or do I have to wait for my class assignments before I can know what books to purchase?

Some random information I found from asking:
1. the 80 percent carpet rule is rarely enforced and never followed.
2. the largest supermarket is fairway and it is around 125th and broadway
Last edited by DavidMorales on Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frank_the_tank

Bronze

Post by frank_the_tank » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:52 pm

dachillchick wrote:So yea...anyone hear about housing yet?

I think I remember reading that we hear at the end of June.

huckabees

Bronze

Post by huckabees » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:53 pm

Sorry to ask, but where can we get the Dean's certification?

I see one blue form in our admitted students' materials, but is there an electronic copy of this as well online?

I found one but it was for visiting/transfer students only.

Thanks!

EDIT:

So I found the Dean's certification online and have pasted the link below, in the slim chance that anyone still needs it:
http://www.law.columbia.edu/null?&exclu ... s_cert.pdf

Does anyone know if we need to send a "final" transcript even if we have already graduated and what LSAC sent is as final as it gets?
Last edited by huckabees on Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DBreslin417

New

Post by DBreslin417 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:57 pm

Does CLS require matriculating students to have a copy of their college transcript sent? I sent the Dean's Certification, but I cannot recall if we need to have an original of our transcript sent as well.

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:58 pm

frank_the_tank wrote:
dachillchick wrote:So yea...anyone hear about housing yet?

I think I remember reading that we hear at the end of June.
Although I told my parents this, they've been asking me at least once a day since April. Awesome.

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:59 pm

DBreslin417 wrote:Does CLS require matriculating students to have a copy of their college transcript sent? I sent the Dean's Certification, but I cannot recall if we need to have an original of our transcript sent as well.
We've got to send transcripts from every school we've attended... the LSAC ones don't count, either. It sucks.

DavidMorales

New

Post by DavidMorales » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:00 pm

I do remember transcripts being listed, and I've had them sent in.

I sent in the "dean's" certification along with the standard certification from my UG.

I haven't had a doctor fill out Columbia's vaccination report yet though... I'm slacking on that front.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”