Columbia Law School 2012! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
UnknownElementX

New

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Post by UnknownElementX » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:45 pm

so when i spoke to housing they said there wasn't a big deal on when you put in your app as long as you got it in by priority. is that turning out to be false? has anyone been assigned who turned it in pretty late?

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:58 pm

Still no housing assignment for me. It would be so great to know I have good a place to live next year. Or any place to live...

Antipodean

Bronze

Post by Antipodean » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:05 pm

Ditto. Actually, I'm a little worried. As far as I know, I'm the only person to have received the "Application Approved" email without it immediately being followed by an Offer of Housing. Given the 5-day deadline, I hope it hasn't gone missing.

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:25 pm

Antipodean wrote:Ditto. Actually, I'm a little worried. As far as I know, I'm the only person to have received the "Application Approved" email without it immediately being followed by an Offer of Housing. Given the 5-day deadline, I hope it hasn't gone missing.
have you tried checking your status on the website?

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:34 pm

Antipodean wrote:Ditto. Actually, I'm a little worried. As far as I know, I'm the only person to have received the "Application Approved" email without it immediately being followed by an Offer of Housing. Given the 5-day deadline, I hope it hasn't gone missing.
That does seem a little strange. Boo is right,you should check your status online.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Antipodean

Bronze

Post by Antipodean » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:36 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:have you tried checking your status on the website?
Yes, and it says that they're in the process of assigning my housing. It's probably nothing, but given the UAH screwups being reported in this thread, I'm not certain of that.

How goes the parental pestering?

DrmgSprs

New

Post by DrmgSprs » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:50 pm

My parents are going a little crazy. They are threatening to call Columbia themselves because they think that if Housing is working on reassigning the people with bad assignments I'll end up getting a room that was previously rejected by someone. I sure hope that doesn't happen, but at least so far I've kept them at bay.

Please put me out of this misery, Columbia Housing!!!

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:01 pm

Antipodean wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:have you tried checking your status on the website?
Yes, and it says that they're in the process of assigning my housing. It's probably nothing, but given the UAH screwups being reported in this thread, I'm not certain of that.

How goes the parental pestering?
My dad's in Paris so it's only about 75% as incessant.

MeTalkPrettyOneDay

Bronze

Post by MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:00 pm

DrmgSprs wrote:My parents are going a little crazy. They are threatening to call Columbia themselves because they think that if Housing is working on reassigning the people with bad assignments I'll end up getting a room that was previously rejected by someone. I sure hope that doesn't happen, but at least so far I've kept them at bay.

Please put me out of this misery, Columbia Housing!!!
Oy, please don't reinforce that fear of mine... I really don't want to end up in the Arbor. Hell, my house is almost as close to CLS as the Arbor is... so living in the Arbor would be silly. :(

My housing app hasn't been approved yet. I'm stuck at "Housing application under review by school." Anyone else in the same boat?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UnknownElementX

New

Post by UnknownElementX » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:59 pm

i got the approved e-mail last friday and still nada

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:05 pm

No approved e-mail yet; still under review.

jpaul09

New

Post by jpaul09 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:23 pm

Still under review here, too.

Soulofheaven8

New

Post by Soulofheaven8 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:27 pm

Rising 2L here.

If I remember correctly, I didn't get my housing assignment until a week or so after I received the "approved" email. And don't bother trying to figure out the rhyme and reason behind the order in which assignments come out; we tried it last year and it was a futile pursuit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Antipodean

Bronze

Post by Antipodean » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:07 am

Thanks for letting us know, Soul. At least we now know this is the normal way of things, rather than some troubling aberration.

jmat

New

Post by jmat » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:44 pm

All of this kind of just makes me glad I already have an apartment, it's an apartment I am paying way too much for, but at least I don't have to wait for my application to be processed I suppose. Good luck to all y'all, I hope the info comes soon.

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:27 pm

I've got to admit that I'm getting a little frustrated by this housing stuff. Starting early next week, I'm going to have very limited Internet access so i'm going to be spending the next few weeks hunting for wireless hotspots to check my email. Way to ruin my vacation Columbia.

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:43 pm

my roommate who's still in Ithaca opened my leather bound dealie today... I'm sad that it's 250 miles away.

still nothing on housing. meh.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jalstar

New

Post by jalstar » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:10 pm

whyamidoingthis wrote:I've got to admit that I'm getting a little frustrated by this housing stuff. Starting early next week, I'm going to have very limited Internet access so i'm going to be spending the next few weeks hunting for wireless hotspots to check my email. Way to ruin my vacation Columbia.
Did you tell UAH and/or Elizabeth Grainger about your vacation? I wrote both an email and told them that I would be leaving the country June 15th and I was told that I would have my assignment before I left. Got my offer 2 days ago.

Anyone know if the $1,000 payment is credited towards the total cost of Fall semester housing or is it in addition to that cost?

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:38 pm

jalstar wrote:
whyamidoingthis wrote:I've got to admit that I'm getting a little frustrated by this housing stuff. Starting early next week, I'm going to have very limited Internet access so i'm going to be spending the next few weeks hunting for wireless hotspots to check my email. Way to ruin my vacation Columbia.
Did you tell UAH and/or Elizabeth Grainger about your vacation? I wrote both an email and told them that I would be leaving the country June 15th and I was told that I would have my assignment before I left. Got my offer 2 days ago.

Anyone know if the $1,000 payment is credited towards the total cost of Fall semester housing or is it in addition to that cost?
I didn't but that's a good idea. I'll shoot a couple emails and can hopefully get it settled before I'm in the middle of nowhere.

DavidMorales

New

Post by DavidMorales » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:14 pm

according to a response i got from UAH. the first half is your first month's rent, the other half is your deposit. In this case, my fee was exactly my rent X2. Other cases/housing options probably differ.

The lawnet tutorial I just took led me to believe that 1Ls get to choose their classes, I didn't think this was the case from reading the materials they sent us...

MeTalkPrettyOneDay

Bronze

Post by MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:32 pm

DavidMorales wrote:The lawnet tutorial I just took led me to believe that 1Ls get to choose their classes, I didn't think this was the case from reading the materials they sent us...
We get to choose one elective spring of our 1L year. Pretty standard to have a set 1L curriculum, but it's nice to get an elective in the spring.

I got my wisdom teeth yanked today. That was fun. :|

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:35 pm

MeTalkPrettyOneDay wrote:
DavidMorales wrote:The lawnet tutorial I just took led me to believe that 1Ls get to choose their classes, I didn't think this was the case from reading the materials they sent us...
We get to choose one elective spring of our 1L year. Pretty standard to have a set 1L curriculum, but it's nice to get an elective in the spring.

good excuse to take lots of drugs

MeTalkPrettyOneDay

Bronze

Post by MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:55 pm

lex talionis wrote:

Haha, you and my dr. seem to agree. It's also a good excuse to sit on my ass for a couple days and watch a bunch of movies - so far, that's my favorite part :D

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:59 pm

lex talionis wrote:

Haha, you and my dr. seem to agree. It's also a good excuse to sit on my ass for a couple days and watch a bunch of movies - so far, that's my favorite part :D
Damn, I knew I should've gone to med school.

NoodlesHighChief

New

Post by NoodlesHighChief » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:49 am

I am starting to give up hope that I will be removed from the Arbor and put in someplace I like. So I am looking at apartments all over including Harlem. But I heard that you can't walk East to West through Morningside Park. Morningside Drive is basically a wall that you have to walk around by going down to 110th street or up to 123rd street. Is that really true? Is there no place to cross through the Park from Harlem and end up on campus?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”